Most people in Isaan back the February 2 election, poll finds

webfact

Most people in the Northeast back the February 2 election, poll finds
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- As many as 72 per cent of those surveyed in the Northeast have said they will vote on February 2, though 6.4 per cent said otherwise and 21.2 per cent said they were unsure.

The Esaan Centre for Business and Economic Research (ECBER) at Khon Kaen University yesterday said 50.5 per cent of the respondents had agreed that only half of elected politicians were quality people under the current legal structure.

Most of the respondents, 77.6 per cent, said they were against the "Bangkok shutdown", 11.6 per cent backed pre-election reform, while 10.8 per cent remained undecided.

Asked if they feared clashes on February 2, 25.6 per cent said they were very worried, 55.4 per cent were slightly worried, while 19 per cent did not worry at all.

Presented with four possible solutions, 50.7 per cent went for the first option of always holding elections, while 49.3 disagreed. For the second option of implementing reforms as proposed by People's Democratic Reform Committee secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban, 85.9 per cent said this would not resolve the problem, while 14.1 per cent said otherwise.

For the third option of postponing the February 2 election and getting a neutral party to help all sides reconcile, 62.3 per cent said that was the way to go, though 37.2 disagreed.

The fourth option of having a military coup was found acceptable by 25.3 per cent, while 74.7 per cent rejected it.

Most respondents also suggested that the rallies be called off, and that all sides start negotiating and host an election that is just and acceptable.

The poll was conducted from January 10-12 on 1,253 people in 20 provinces in the Northeast, including Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Ubon Ratchathani and Buri Ram.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-14

"As many as 72 per cent of those surveyed in the Northeast have said they will vote on February 2..."

Of course they are going to vote. They are not going to pass up a free THB 200-300 to buy their votes. In fact , they probably wish there was an election every month. They will get the bribe money to buy their votes a lot sooner than the money promised them from the rice scheme.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 2

"As many as 72 per cent of those surveyed in the Northeast have said they will vote on February 2..."

Of course they are going to vote. They are not going to pass up a free THB 200-300 to buy their votes. In fact , they probably wish there was an election every month. They will get the bribe money to buy their votes a lot sooner than the money promised them from the rice scheme.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

There is an election nearly every other month, what with headman, Tambon, Provincial, Senatorial, Municipal and general elections, so what's not to like about Thai-style democracy? From my experience in Isaan, the going rate for most elections (including two village headman elections I witnessed in 2010 in upper NE) is anywhere between 500 - 1,000 baht. Now, if the canny villagers take from several candidates, then it can be quite a nice little earner, so yes, the results are hardly surprising. Most Isaan villagers love elections and the more the merrier, as far as they're concerned. coffee1.gif It's going to take a long time, radical cultural change and a lot of education to break the cycle of dependency.......

It is changing a bit now. In 2011 my father in law complained that the PTP candidate made him take a picture of his ballot paper with his phone before paying. When he said he didn't have a phone that takes pictures he was offered one and shown how to take the picture. Another case of technology in politics.... lol

• Like 1

There is an election nearly every other month, what with headman, Tambon, Provincial, Senatorial, Municipal and general elections, so what's not to like about Thai-style democracy? From my experience in Isaan, the going rate for most elections (including two village headman elections I witnessed in 2010 in upper NE) is anywhere between 500 - 1,000 baht. Now, if the canny villagers take from several candidates, then it can be quite a nice little earner, so yes, the results are hardly surprising. Most Isaan villagers love elections and the more the merrier, as far as they're concerned. coffee1.gif It's going to take a long time, radical cultural change and a lot of education to break the cycle of dependency.......

It is changing a bit now. In 2011 my father in law complained that the PTP candidate made him take a picture of his ballot paper with his phone before paying. When he said he didn't have a phone that takes pictures he was offered one and shown how to take the picture. Another case of technology in politics.... lol

Even if your vicarious account of events has any validity, it would be someone of very limited intellect that couldn't figure out a way around that.

What policy changes and plans have the Democrats made to gather more votes, or are they sticking with the whiny "my corrupt guy is better than your corrupt guy" campaign?

It's just old money versus new money to get more money.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Most sex offenders back the premise and concept of gang rape. Most victims of the sex attacks strongly disagree. Who is in the right? The minority that strongly disagree or the majority that ignorantly back the concept? Food for thought for the cult followers of the desert dweller.

Bit of a misleading headline, if there is an election on 2nd February, will you vote? Yes of course they will.

The more interesting result is that 62.3 percent agree with postponing the elections and having a neutral party to help sides reconcile.

Full marks for reading the main guts of the poll correctly. So much for all the Isaan falangs on here spouting that democarcy starts and ends with an election. Even the supposed less educated Isaan natives understand democracy or the garbage they have posing as one better than the Isaan falangs.

Excuse me Mr. Pollster. This data must be incorrect, because Tom, Dick & Harry from ThaiVisa said that their wives, Nit, Noi & Nang, from Nakhorn Nowhere in Isaan,all now hate the government and have gone to Bangkok to support Suthep Thugsubarn.

Most people in Isaan back the February 2 election, poll finds For the third option of postponing the February 2 election and getting a neutral party to help all sides reconcile, 62.3 per cent said that was the way to go, though 37.2 disagreed.

I know I'm in need of new glasses, but my eyesight can not be that bad.

Edited by JesseFrank

Excuse me Mr. Pollster. This data must be incorrect, because Tom, Dick & Harry from ThaiVisa said that their wives, Nit, Noi & Nang, from Nakhorn Nowhere in Isaan,all now hate the government and have gone to Bangkok to support Suthep Thugsubarn.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Hilarious.

But the irony of the post is far funnier. Just like Thai 'football fans' that support the team that is winning or is popular at the time, it would appear that SOME of the very same voters that were paid and voted for the red bullies are now changing their 'support' for political parties. Bless 'em.

I just love the stupidity of this type of comment. Wake up!! The Dems have admitted to vote buying at the last election and they still lost. They lost because they were seen as a Bangkok-centric, pro-elitist party that only paid lip service to the aspirations and needs of ordinary Thais. The more than 30% of the population of the country who live in the North East recognized this. Thai voters are not stupid. They will vote for the party that offers the best policies for them even if one or more parties have given them money to vote their way.

In the same way the folk from the South will vote for the party that offers the best policies for them even if one or more parties have given them money to vote their way. The only difference being, if the elctions go ahead on 2nd February, is that the Dems are not fielding any candidates, but that does not prevent them from campaigning or giving inducements to vote in a certain way.

• Like 2

How Thaksin Bought His Way To Power
. Did this really happen, if so I suppose that it could happen again.

"The Esaan Centre for Business and Economic Research (ECBER) at Khon Kaen University yesterday said 50.5 per cent of the respondents had agreed that only half of elected politicians were quality people under the current legal structure."

"had agreed that"
at least the poll did not include any leading questions or bias, then...

What policy changes and plans have the Democrats made to gather more votes, or are they sticking with the whiny "my corrupt guy is better than your corrupt guy" campaign? It's just old money versus new money to get more money. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is a lot more to it than that, you should try reading more.

It is changing. After the elections of 2011, my father-in-law (79 year old rice farmer) complained that nobody came around to buy his vote, as was customary. He had to vote his conscience. His children, my brothers and sisters in law (all college educated), are of a different generation. They would not sell their votes at any price, as the recognize the value of their votes. Things ARE changing. They all lean Red and vote that way consistently, by the way.