International Internet Bandwidth really sucks

skippybangkok

..... But it's not what you expect. Here is one for the "bash everything Thailand" Falangs

I am in New York....

Speed from New York to Bangkok

post-25605-0-02588000-1389667245_thumb.j

To a New York a server

post-25605-0-68177900-1389667290_thumb.j

Seems US internet service providers have worse connectivity to Thailand than visa versa. For the record, I get below 1 Meg on average.....

If you get 648 ms ping from Bkk ISP to your ISP in USA, it is perfectly normal to get vice versa.

Problem is bad routing, overloaded routers and uplinks of Thailand. It get worse if it is TOT.

Thailand can never be compared to USA. Almost everything is hosted within continental USA.

How do you ping 22ms to a new york server? Most in Thailand can't even ping Bangkok that fast if not in Bangkok. Your ping from NY is high I would think 460 maybe - my thinks you have a problem with the test. Even then if your test from NY to BKK is slow why do you thnk it is the Thai gate way that is the slow. Where did it lose the speed at is the key - could have been 10mb to singapore then hit the Thaiwall of international does not matter.

Rkasa why are you surprised by 22ms from new york to new york? Same city thats expectable.

640ms to thailand sounds very high though.

Though no surprise that thai gateways would prioritise their main paying customers (Thai ISPs) over the rest of the world for bandwidth/routing/latency.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Rkasa why are you surprised by 22ms from new york to new york? Same city thats expectable.

640ms to thailand sounds very high though.

Though no surprise that thai gateways would prioritise their main paying customers (Thai ISPs) over the rest of the world for bandwidth/routing/latency.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK not ping from here to NY then (was thinking that would be a bit wild) blink.png - the NY to here can still be that the problem is getting here and not even in the US - I see that kind of speed out of Thailand all the time and often 400k for hours on end - would think inbound to be the same if not worse - the ? is where is the choke point. How is it to singapore then Thailand etc. I can often hit Bangkok on 3g at 10mb and then singapore only 400k using both or ether true and dtac even if dtac seems to be up more often then true in speed international, but right now dtac is not working at all here - only connecting to the tower and no internet - went down 2 hours ago. This is why I have two cards from differant providers.thumbsup.gif

Thanks - there are a lot of gripes of "why when I buy10 Mb ", why don't I get it always consistently for international.

Point was to show that the other way around, the experience is the same or worse. ( in this case from New York to BKK )

Farangs constantly slag off 3G and internet in Thailand , in my experience and I so travel quite a bit, it's not so shiit hot in the west either

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by skippybangkok

These speedtests are not reliable and often manipulated by the internet service provider by ''caching''.

Einstein said that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light... but your "ping" time did!

Forget speed tests as a reliable testing method

• Like 2

All of the international links from/to Thailand are symmetrical, so it makes sense that if I encounter issues while in Thailand accessing content in the U.S., I would also encounter similar issues when accessing content in Thailand from the U.S.

The OP seems to have just discovered this, and is, possibly without realizing it, slagging off Thailand. cheesy.gif

I travel to the U.S. frequently, every 60 days or so, and experience similar issues when accessing content in Thailand from the U.S., even though I might have a 25 Mbps/3 Mbps 3G connection, and a 110 Mbps/15 Mbps fixed-line connection. Obviously performance within the U.S. is phenomenal.

• Like 1

Thanks - there are a lot of gripes of "why when I buy10 Mb ", why don't I get it always consistently for international.

Point was to show that the other way around, the experience is the same or worse. ( in this case from New York to BKK )

Farangs constantly slag off 3G and internet in Thailand , in my experience and I so travel quite a bit, it's not so shiit hot in the west either

Why would anyone living in the states wants to visit a website hosted in Thailand? Your comparison doesn't make sense.

USA has great connection to Europe and people in USA don't have to deal with high pings or vpns in order to watch netflix etc. They can even play games off the cloud due to servers located in USA.

USA or EU don't need Thai internet, it is the other way around, Thai needs USA & EU internet servers. You can't expect US ISPs to invest money for direct peering with Thai networks.

thailand has only one line entering and leaving the country , . http://submarinecablemap.com/

on that map.

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYiTWYjybGmVlAwDlS42RlAFcnpSgW8wuOgHG5J8tm2gnj+tNlo2YQV55yOiL/YLpErxVAw+Yvas08+xXVWNJBs1

http://www.cat.net.th/map/internetmap.html

http://www.csloxinfo.com/th/network_status/index.php?page=bandwidth&over=1__

But the OP is correct in that international bandwidth into/out of Thailand is perhaps not as robust as we would like, given infinite financial resources.

post-9615-0-27669900-1389753891_thumb.jp

Sorry as I lack the terminology nor an expert in IT but I am looking for a high-speed broadband internet for business which requires high upload bandwidth.

I have done some inquiry and to TRUE and they said I would need a leased line from CAT using fiber, I believe they mentioned a dedicated line and not shared. Costing upwards of 25K to something like 40K baht per month. Since the business required very reliable upload speeds to international countries what are my options and avg. cost.

Mostly US clients will need my upload speeds to be high.

Edited by tangcoral

I'm on a 12MB/sec ADSL line here in Thailand. Generally I find it OK. Youtube is a bit on the sluggish side but zippyshare/google docs all whiz along at full speed. Some Russian sites are almost impossible to maintain a connection with. So rather than blame the ISP i'd blame the place your connecting to. The ISP can't give to you more than they are given by the next server down the line who can't give more than the next one etc etc. Remember there are many servers all to be passed through before you reach your destination. It is not a non-stop direct flight. You have to get on/off at many places along the way.

You can't expect US ISPs to invest money for direct peering with Thai networks.

I don't - but it's then hypocrisy to expect the reverse

What do you mean by that? US is the motherload of Internet. More than half of the Internet content is hosted within US. Is is Thai responsibility to deploy connections to US and EU. Not the other way around. This isn't diplomacy, they won't open embassy in mutual terms. US is the seller, Thai is the buyer.

These speedtests are not reliable and often manipulated by the internet service provider by ''caching''.

Einstein said that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light... but your "ping" time did!

Ookla admits that Thai ISPs capture pings to their servers which result in the faster-than-the-speed-of-light ping times. They have yet to find a work-around.

But, Ookla denies that ISPs are able to cache the actual test files because they are all randomly named and of a random length. In other words, every test file is different so impossible to cache.

Ookla admits that Thai ISPs capture pings to their servers which result in the faster-than-the-speed-of-light ping times. They have yet to find a work-around.

But, Ookla denies that ISPs are able to cache the actual test files because they are all randomly named and of a random length. In other words, every test file is different so impossible to cache.

This speedtests are so easy to fake...just setup your own ookla server.

See the result of my own little experiment some time ago....

Any more questions? laugh.png

post-158247-0-78383800-1389768870_thumb.

Edited by Turkleton

Slow Internet from Thailand out in the big World is a common problem. May even not be Thailand to blame only, as international routers – the Internet highway – cannot cope with the traffic. For example had the whole of South East Asia speed problems some years ago, when the three out of four optical cables were hit by an earthquake near Taiwan, all backbones (other routes) were overloaded, as many servers are in US or Europe. A few years later speed problems again, as some “stole” one of the fibre optic cables. A funny story, as a company had bought the old copper cable as scratch as were winding it up, but at same time the ships crew found the new replacement – a much more valuable fibre cable – and decided to take that up as well. Nobody noticed until the number of slow speed complaints from users made someone in charge suspicious, but then the fibre cable was already gone.

Another domestic problem may be the local connection speed. You get what you pay for, so a cheap 7 or 10 mb connection may not be for you only, but the speed shared between up to 10 users. Some times during day or week you may have slower speed, as your “sharing friends” have decided to sit and download same time a you. You can buy 7 or 10 mb for 590 baht a month, but shared, and you can but 7 or 10 MegaBit for some 2,000 baht and up, being a kind of “private line”.

It did try to check speed tests on my ADSL-line some years back, no problem up to the local proxy (somewhere close or at least inside Thailand), but to Europe slower than an old-fashioned modem.

But be happy – just think 10 years back, when a so-called “high speed” connection in the Internet shops we used at that time was 58 kb telephone modem – a lot has improved…!

Funny that, I was getting brilliant download speeds in the Tai Pan hotel the other night.

Do you really have to reply to every thread?

This thread is about bandwidth from Thailand to the US not the other way around.

International bandwidth is pretty good in Thailand. No problem getting 1.9 - 2MBs downloads (16Mb True) from either Europe or the US.

However, todayI have a problem accessing the TV forum and have to use a VPN.

Edited by sniffdog

Do you really have to reply to every thread?

This thread is about bandwidth from Thailand to the US not the other way around.

Lol

Errrr , I started the thread and it's a about bandwidth from USA to Thailand. Purpose is we have a lot of opinionated Falangs who constantly whinge about bandwidth from Thailand - fact of the matter is US to Thailand is just as bad or worse.

Case closed

Lol

Errrr , I started the thread and it's a about bandwidth from USA to Thailand. Purpose is we have a lot of opinionated Falangs who constantly whinge about bandwidth from Thailand - fact of the matter is US to Thailand is just as bad or worse.

When I read the starting post the first time, I thought it would be some kind of a sarcastic, ironic or funny post.

But know I think, somebody just hasn't understood how "Internet" works....

The "whining people" are complaining about the general lack of "INTERNATIONAL BANDWIDTH"

The includes in and outgoing traffic...nothing special like "from Thailand"

The bottleneck is Thailand not your US ISP....laugh.png

PS: Don't forget the "MICT traffic-monitoring servers" on the Thai side, which are slowing down everything too....

• Like 2

Wednesday 15 Jan at 8:50 am -- CAT fiber-optic "On-Net" 20 / 3 Mbps using OOKLA Bangkok to New York gives 288 ms ping / 14.82 Mbps download / 2.89 Mbps upload.

I'm satisfied for 1,500 baht a month.

So New York is 13922 Km from Bangkok, at the speed of sound, your ping should take around 460 ms without taking into account equipment / switches, bad routing and below sea level calculations.

Wednesday 15 Jan at 8:50 am -- CAT fiber-optic "On-Net" 20 / 3 Mbps using OOKLA Bangkok to New York gives 288 ms ping / 14.82 Mbps download / 2.89 Mbps upload.

I'm satisfied for 1,500 baht a month.

So New York is 13922 Km from Bangkok, at the speed of sound, your ping should take around 460 ms without taking into account equipment / switches, bad routing and below sea level calculations.

Your calculation is incorrect.

200-220 ms to east coast of usa, and 40-60 ms from east coast to west coast so 288 ms is perfectly fine.