Unwed Mother - Babies Surname ... what is possible?

David48

Me and the Farm Girl are having a couple of sprogs.

We aren't married ... when they are born, whose Surname do they get?

Does it have to be hers, or can it be mine?

I'll be there at the birth, it's all kosher like.

Mother is co-operative - one big lovin' Family actually!

I read this below from Mario, but my question is different.

By law a Thai person must have a name that has a meaning in Thai. exceptions are made for persons marrying foreigner and their off-spring.
I gather you raise the children, but are not the father. That means they cannot have your name.

Some amphurs are very strict in this, others have a more open approach. You can try the amphur and ask to change the names to the mothers current last name (is your last name), but if they refuse they are going by the rules.

So, thanks in Advance ... thumbsup.gif

Put you name on the birth certificate - this may be important if you need to prove parenthood in the future! It should be OK then to use your surname - but as always here, depends on the person at the desk (at the Amphur) on the day (remember you can always come back instead of being bullied into doing that person's way - just be cool).

• Like 1

The mothers surname is the correct answer, but many/most amphurs will allow your last name if you are on the birth certificate, named as the father.

Prepare your full names in Thai, you will need it for the birthcertificate, as all names on there are in Thai. Including yours and your childs.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity......why dont u 2 lovers not marry before twins will be born.....would make it all alot easier......?

She wants to protect the farm...smart girl.

You can have your family name, do not let them state anything different if problems arise and refusal to do it...it is allowed, possible, the right thing to do.....if thats what youse want of course....but do not let officialdom stand in the way, at the hospital nor the amphur or anywhere else, refuse the registration if problems with it, have heard of some places saying 'cannot do' etc.

Make sure your name spelling is correct, it can cause issues later if not....speaking from experience.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity......why dont u 2 lovers not marry before twins will be born.....would make it all alot easier......?

But do not marry for the sake of a piece of paper....I did not, yes it has problems...but sort them out, not impossible.

Biggest issue is you will need to have them legally recognised as yours via family court, no way around it if not married, until they reach circa 7/8yo.....costs a few baht, not outrageous and takes several months.

Forgot to add...make sure the spelling on subsequent docs is exactly the same as on the BC each and every time...some wise bodies take it upon themselves to spell how thems think it should be done.

Make sure the house book they registered on, you are spelt EXACTLY the same.

• Like 2

Forgot to add...make sure the spelling on subsequent docs is exactly the same as on the BC each and every time...some wise bodies take it upon themselves to spell how thems think it should be done.

Make sure the house book they registered on, you are spelt EXACTLY the same.

Sounds like u have been there and seen it !!

• Like 1

None of your business.

wai2.gif

You're both correct.

It's an intruding question if I feel offended, it's a curious question if I don't feel offended.

We are not offended.

MissFarmGirl and I discussed this matter early on in our relationship and, while we are both 'old-fashioned' kind of folk, we decided that Family was more important then Marriage.

So, for the present, the focus is on the Family ... we will marry later when the time is appropriate ... currently thinking is a couple of years time, but remain flexible on that.

Thanks Briggsy ... wink.png

Also Showbags, you are a wag, but your experience is important to us ... thumbsup.gif

None of your business.

wai2.gif

He has made it the business of the forum, simply by telling his story and asking what to do about naming his ...his ...... "sprogs" ..?

("sprogs" What a pity) The "one big lovin' family" phenomenon will evaporate when the "big lovin' family" decides that they would be better off with someone richer. Who's surname the child has, has nothing to do with it's ability to support the parents, and that's the only reason sprog man is accommodated by the "one big lovin' family." Forget this at your peril.

But do not marry for the sake of a piece of paper....I did not, yes it has problems...but sort them out, not impossible.

Biggest issue is you will need to have them legally recognised as yours via family court, no way around it if not married, until they reach circa 7/8yo.....costs a few baht, not outrageous and takes several months.

Wise advice!

Poor kids... :-(

Mario2008, on 13 Jan 2014 - 20:08, said:snapback.png

By law a Thai person must have a name that has a meaning in Thai. exceptions are made for persons marrying foreigner and their off-spring.
I gather you raise the children, but are not the father. That means they cannot have your name.

Some amphurs are very strict in this, others have a more open approach. You can try the amphur and ask to change the names to the mothers current last name (is your last name), but if they refuse they are going by the rules.

This is an old law that was relaxed long time ago, and was only about the 1st name, not family name. You can give the babies your family name, and also a foreign (non Thai) 1st names,

Before marrying my Thai GF, we had a daughter who has a non Thai name with my last name. No problem at local ampur who were more than helpful with the paperwork. After getting married (not as a result of daughter) my wife took my last name & again the local ampur were great in changing all documents. It can be done easily but we were lucky with the ampur staff.

• Like 1

Before marrying my Thai GF, we had a daughter who has a non Thai name with my last name. No problem at local ampur who were more than helpful with the paperwork. After getting married (not as a result of daughter) my wife took my last name & again the local ampur were great in changing all documents. It can be done easily but we were lucky with the ampur staff.

Sounds similar to my experience. No problem at all with Farang names for my daughter born before we were married or for next daughter born after we were married.

The mother's surname . Your name can be on the birth certificate . Inless you intend taking mother and child to your country , it is better for the child

to have a Thai surname .

Can you explain what you mean by Thai surname.

My daughter has an English name translated into Thai (phonetically). As such when the translation of her BC was done it appears as my last name. Made it easy for all.

If you are not married when the child is born it will be difficult to get a passport of your own country for your kid.

Your name on the birth certificate without (legal) marriage will not give you parental rights under Thai law.

Not a USA passport I can assure you, that's pretty easy. Other countries mileage may vary

Another option would be to use your GF's surname as the kids middle name and your surname for the kids surname, this way you get both, it can be done but may take some discussion with your local amphur office, my missus spent a while arguing with the counter staff who said it couln't be done, she the asked to speak to the guy in charge, he pulled out the law books and there it was in black and white, sorted!

If you are not married when the child is born it will be difficult to get a passport of your own country for your kid.

Your name on the birth certificate without (legal) marriage will not give you parental rights under Thai law.

Which country are you referring to? My daughter has 4 nationalities and in the process of obtaining citizenship in 3 (2 of the 3 are almost complete, waiting on the last one). At no point did we encounter an issue with the married/not married part.

We were legally married but as my name was on the birth certificate and providing documentation of common-law would have sufficed.

It would be difficult to obtain a passport if you are unable to prove you are in a real relationship with partner either through marriage or common living.

British, Irish, Canadian and Thai. Working on a Jamaican passport for her but that is proving more difficult.

Another option would be to use your GF's surname as the kids middle name and your surname for the kids surname, this way you get both, it can be done but may take some discussion with your local amphur office, my missus spent a while arguing with the counter staff who said it couln't be done, she the asked to speak to the guy in charge, he pulled out the law books and there it was in black and white, sorted!

Using her Surname as the children's second name, not something we had considered ... but will toss that idea in the melting pot also.

Thanks for this, and all the other helpful replies ... thumbsup.gif

If you use a foreign name it has to be transliterated to Thai script and the foreign original is not kept.

Every time the name is translated you have to be very careful as some letters like F and Z are not available in Thai and will become W and S sounds if read in Thai.

Also when translating back to the foreign name Thais have a tendency to loose the last part, likes James will become Jame.

Edited by recycler
  • Like 1