Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet

17 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

This might seem silly but I have just printed the border Visa on arrival form in black & white ? do you think they would get offended if it does not have the colour emblem on top - One never knows here & dont plan on having to rewrite at the border

Thanks

Many people have used a downloaded form that is not in color so it should not be a problem.

1 minute ago, anto said:

>>This might seem silly <<  it is .

Anto I'm sure many people have turned up to an immigration center thinking they have all that is required & then asked for more (maybe even not having the correct forms or papers with them ) & then having to go to a lot of trouble to full fill the requirement

So not as silly as one might think 

IT'S CALLED Covering bases for a hassle free trip when you are combining it with a little time out with wife & young lad in tow

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

Anto I'm sure many people have turned up to an immigration center thinking they have all that is required & then asked for more (maybe even not having the correct forms or papers with them ) & then having to go to a lot of trouble to full fill the requirement

IT'S CALLED Covering bases for a hassle free trip when you are combining it with a little time out with wife & young lad in tow

No worries mate. There are no stupid (silly) questions!......Wait.....there is one.....the one you did not ask!

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

I understand .I assumed that you were travelling alone .If alone its only a matter of a few minutes filling out the correct form at the border with Lao .( if thats the form in question) 

6 minutes ago, anto said:

I understand .I assumed that you were travelling alone .If alone its only a matter of a few minutes filling out the correct form at the border with Lao .( if thats the form in question) 

No worries but as we know here they just seem to ask for more happened once with Immi after covering this Forum to find out they wanted wifes name change (i carry all docs with me )

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

No worries but as we know here they just seem to ask for more happened once with Immi after covering this Forum to find out they wanted wifes name change (i carry all docs with me )

I am facing the same in 10 days time .Wife changed her name ( as some Monk told her to do so ;-) ,but i respect her beliefs  .The last time i went to Savanakhet she had her old name .Read somewhere ,probably here that you have to have the original form stating name change ,not a photocopy but maybe that as well  ,which i will bring also .

Edited by anto

On 01/06/2017 at 8:01 AM, ubonjoe said:

Many people have used a downloaded form that is not in color so it should not be a problem.

Is this the form you use and fill out to enter savannakhet when crossing over at the check point in Mukdahan, if so , i'm trying 

to find a copy to download.  Im going next Monday to get another Non "O".

On 1/17/2014 at 6:32 PM, Pattaya Pat said:

My head is spinning.

You have to go through all this grief every year for the rest of your life?

Its not really grief for some of us.  For me and my wife, we get a trip for a few days out of it and I don't have to keep money in the Thai bank.  To each their own I suppose.  

21 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Its not really grief for some of us.  For me and my wife, we get a trip for a few days out of it and I don't have to keep money in the Thai bank.  To each their own I suppose.  

Yes, I Like this as well Kurt......

2 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

The M-O Visa can last 17 months in total .Yes its a pain ,getting there from Chiang mai ( in my case ) but i try to take it as a little adventure.

Update on getting Non-O based on marriage in Savannakhet.

Went to Savannaket on 12 June departed 14 June.

Arrived SV on 12/6 submitted Multiple Non-O application on 13/6 picked up visa Wednesday 14/6.

Dropped off forms first thing on 13/6 at Thai Consulate, probably only a dozen people in line by time  the consulate opened.

Fotocopy shop directly opposite consulate stated things very quite ever since Tourist Visa restrictions came into effect.

Forms Submitted.

Signed application.

Signed Passport page.

Signed copy of family book page of wife (original on hand).

Signed copy of marriage certificate by wife (original on hand on hand).

Signed copy by of her wife change of name (plus original on hand).

Copies of kids birth certificates (plus originals on hand).  If you state on your application visa application is for visiting wife & kids, ensure you also have copies of kids birth certificate to include in the application plus originals on hand.

Copy of Lao Visa and entry stamp.

Consular staff checked my application and viewed original marriage certificate, wife change of name certificate and kids birth certificates.

Everything all in order and picked up multiple "Non-O" based on marriage the next day at 2pm.

Transport to and from Savannakhet.

As I live in between Pattaya & Rayong, I did not fancy and arduous bus ride to Savannakhet (via Mukdhan) from either city.

I took a Nok Air Fly & Ride  from Don Muaeng (DM) to Mukhadan.

The Fly/Ride to Mukdahan are via the following cities:

DM to Nakhon Phanom.

DM to Nakhon Sakon

DM to Ubon Ratchathani.

Once you land at the above airports then it is a mini van by Nok Air to Mukdahan dropping off at Ploy Palace Hotel, which is also the pick up point for return flights.  Mini-van travel times is approx 2 hours.

I took the DM to Nakon Phanon flight.  The mini van from Nakon to Mukdahan actually stops off at the the Friendship Bridge which is handy before temrinating at Ploy Palace hotel.

My return leg after getting my visa on Wednesday was either:

Mukdahan - Nakhon Phanon - DM, departing Ploy Palace hotel (mukdahan) at 4pm for 7pm flight from Nakhon Phanon to DM

or

Mukdahan - Nakhon Sakon - DM, departing Ploy Palace Hotel at 5 pm for a 8pm flight from Sakon to DM.

I took the Sakon route to play safe and Landed at DM 9pm that night.

It could be hit and miss  the return leg coming via Nakhon Phanom, it will depend on how how quickly you can pick up your visa and then get across the border.  On this trip I could have done it as I was back at Ploy Palace hotel easily by 3.30pm and could have made the Nakohn Phanon flight if I had that ticket book.

Total cost of a air fare 3200 baht (having book 2 weeks out in advance).

I did do a check of airfares a couple of days out from when i was going, a few specials for returns where around the 2000/2500baht.  So you can get some last minute deals.

And before anyone ask, I did check the flight schedules of Nok Air to see if you could get to Savannakhet and submit visa applications the same day as you had flown/ridden into Mukdahan - its not possible.

• Like 1

^ I was there just a day before you .Submitted my application on the 12 th picked up visa on the 13 th .No proof of funds asked for the M-O Visa .Was first in line for pick up and easily made the 2.30 pm bus back to Mukdahan . Then caught the 3.30 pm  mini bus to Udon Thani.

1 minute ago, anto said:

^ I was there just a day before you .Submitted my application on the 12 th picked up visa on the 13 th .No proof of funds asked for the M-O Visa .Was first in line for pick up and easily made the 2.30 pm bus back to Mukdahan . Then caught the 3.30 pm  mini bus to Udon Thani.

forgot to mentioned  in Savannakhet stayed at Avalon also next-door  Aura seems popular to! Both hotels good location in relation the Thai Consulate and main bus station to Savannakhet.

3 hours ago, shadowmaster1971 said:

forgot to mentioned  in Savannakhet stayed at Avalon also next-door  Aura seems popular to! Both hotels good location in relation the Thai Consulate and main bus station to Savannakhet.

I stayed further out about a 40 minute walk from Avalon ,down the same road .Sala Thongyon Guest house consisting of rustic bungalows around a nice garden .Had breakfast though at Avalon.

7 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

I will stay at Avalon. Walking distance to the consulate? If not, how much by tuk tuk?

Its only a 10 minute walk .( i timed it ,walking briskly ) .Tuk Tuk is what you can negotiate ,but Kip 15,000 or B65 would be about right . 

Edited by anto
  • Like 1

"Signed copy by of her wife change of name (plus original on hand)."Signed copy by of her wife change of name (plus original on hand)."

This has me worried. Wife does not remember. Her Thai id card has her married name.  This document we cannot find.

2 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

"Signed copy by of her wife change of name (plus original on hand)."Signed copy by of her wife change of name (plus original on hand)."

This has me worried. Wife does not remember. Her Thai id card has her married name.  This document we cannot find.

They normally do not ask for a name change certificate.

If her name did not match the name on the marriage certificate nor your family name they would likely want it.

2 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Ok. Her maiden name is on the marriage cert, of course. The Thai ID card has her married name. The tabien baan has her name change on there as well.

You will not have a problem. Not sure they always do a name change when it is done at the same time the marriage is registered.

My wife never got one but at that time she did not have a choice but to take my family name (prior to 2002 when the law was changed).

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not have a problem. Not sure they always do a name change when it is done at the same time the marriage is registered.

My wife never got one but at that time she did not have a choice but to take my family name (prior to 2002 when the law was changed).

As ubonjoe says you shouldn't have a problem.  Given my wife has her passport, ID, blue book, Drivers's licence with my surname, I am just being prudent getting her to sign copy of  name change form and taking the originals with me.  Just in case I am asked for it, then I have copies signed and originals on hand if needed.  I just generally bring originals of anything my wife has signed, when applying for Non-O.  Otherwise a long trip back to get them.