Worry-Free Non-O-Visa Savannakhet

On 18/12/2016 at 8:27 AM, ubonjoe said:

Only the photo page and the Lao VOA/entry stamp.

Applied for multi entry non-o on 21st Dec and did not need the Laos visa photo copy.

As an aside the whole application was very smooth and as long as all required documents are supplied should be plain sailing.

Several tourist visa applicants were being knocked back being either accused of working or unable to supply a bank book or proof of funds.

Both Laos and Thai Immigration were painfully slow when I crossed and the bus ride over the bridge is a bit of a scramble. Try and be one of the first on so you can sit near the front door as the aisle is filled with people standing. Even the steps at the door were occupied on the bus previous to ours.

Can any one advise if there are better or worse days to make the trip? Ive read conflicting reports some say mid week is busy, and others say its the quietest...

Also, is there really nothing to do in Savannakhet? It seems everyone just wants to get out of there asap.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I obtained a Non-O 12 month multi-entry visa yesterday (10/01/2017) at Savannakhet.

No change in terms of the documents required i.e.

- Completed visa application form with x2 passport photos
- Original and photocopy of marriage certificate
- Signed and dated copy of passport
- Signed and dated copy of wife's Thai ID card
- Signed and dated copy of wife's blue book
- 5000 baht fee

The only thing I would comment on is that the Consulate in Savannakhet were demanding anyone applying for a 90 day tourist visa to Thailand showed evidence of 20,000 baht.

This slowed things down (in terms of waiting to lodge my application) as many people applying for tourist visa were arguing with the staff about this change.

But for the Non-O multi entry, no proof of funds were required still.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, llhm2711 said:

Hi. I just read somewhere that to get a 90day non-o based on a thai child in savannakhet, you now need court proof of being the father. Can somebody advise if this is true?

As far as I know at this time you might not even be able to get one there even if you legitimize your parenthood now.

No reports for sometime now of anybody being able to get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You can get a single entry non-o without a problem there or at Vientiane without a problem and then a 60 day extension at immigration. 

At this time the only nearby location issuing a multiple entry visa is Penang and you need to show 400k baht in the bank or proof of income.

As far as I know at this time you might not even be able to get one there even if you legitimize your parenthood now.
No reports for sometime now of anybody being able to get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet based upon being the parent of a Thai.
You can get a single entry non-o without a problem there or at Vientiane without a problem and then a 60 day extension at immigration. 
At this time the only nearby location issuing a multiple entry visa is Penang and you need to show 400k baht in the bank or proof of income.

Thank you again

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Just got my multi non o based on marriage last week. All very smooth.

Couple tips

To avoid the line at the consulate when submitting your application aim to get there around 10am or later. Just remember they close the gate at 11 am.

Stayed at ar residence which adjoins avalon hotel. 700 baht a night. No English tv and unstable net. Room have kettle and free coffee. But the cafe was good. The avalon hotel is 690 baht a night with some English tv and ok net. No kettle in room.

These hotels are walkable from the bus station and yo the consulate.

On the way to the consulate from the hotel there's a very nice cafe with ac which is about half way. You can't miss it as it has old style uk red telephone boxes outside.

Tuk Tuk from consulate to bridge I paid 50 baht

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

On 12/25/2016 at 0:16 PM, firewight said:

Also, is there really nothing to do in Savannakhet? It seems everyone just wants to get out of there asap.

Cheers!

Nothing much there, you can see the old run-down Euro style quarter at the river with a square where entry/exit to Thailand used to be, sprinkling of cafe/restaurants there. Just endless grids of dustbowl roads off the main strip. There is one fully enclosed spotless a/c coffee shop incorporated into a hotel off the main strip going away from the river not towards,...maybe Dao Coffee is the name. Also one nice and clean Japanese restaurant run by a Lao guy on the main strip centre of town. Lot of Lao restaurants are pretty dingy/suspect hygiene. Beer Lao always makes thing rosier in any Lao town ! Wikitravel page for that town may fill out more things in detail for you.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Savannakhet

Edited by freedomnow

On 1/11/2017 at 11:54 AM, PercyinOz said:

I obtained a Non-O 12 month multi-entry visa yesterday (10/01/2017) at Savannakhet.

No change in terms of the documents required i.e.

- Completed visa application form with x2 passport photos
- Original and photocopy of marriage certificate
- Signed and dated copy of passport
- Signed and dated copy of wife's Thai ID card
- Signed and dated copy of wife's blue book
- 5000 baht fee

The only thing I would comment on is that the Consulate in Savannakhet were demanding anyone applying for a 90 day tourist visa to Thailand showed evidence of 20,000 baht.

This slowed things down (in terms of waiting to lodge my application) as many people applying for tourist visa were arguing with the staff about this change.

But for the Non-O multi entry, no proof of funds were required still.

Did you have to show every page of the Blue book or only the page with your wife's name on it? What time did you get there? Cheers)))

9 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

Did you have to show every page of the Blue book or only the page with your wife's name on it? What time did you get there? Cheers)))

You only need a copy of page 1 and the page your wife is registered on. They need to be signed by her.

On this non o visa based on marriage, do you still need to do a boarder run every ninety days?

Or can you just report to the local immigration every ninety days?

I ask this because you didn't have to show proof of 800k in the bank.

Normally when you show proof funds then you truly get set free from the boarder runs, 

and can just report to the local immigration each ninety days, 

which is much better than having to leave the country four times a year.

10 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

On this non o visa based on marriage, do you still need to do a boarder run every ninety days?

Or can you just report to the local immigration every ninety days?

I ask this because you didn't have to show proof of 800k in the bank.

Normally when you show proof funds then you truly get set free from the boarder runs, 

and can just report to the local immigration each ninety days, 

which is much better than having to leave the country four times a year.

A multiple entry non-o visa only allows a 90 day entry which means you must leave every 90 days for a new entry.

Only a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) issued by immigration allows you to stay in the country and do 90 day reports. The financial requirements for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai is 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht. The 800k baht number your mentioned is for retirement.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A multiple entry non-o visa only allows a 90 day entry which means you must leave every 90 days for a new entry.

Only a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) issued by immigration allows you to stay in the country and do 90 day reports. The financial requirements for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai is 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht. The 800k baht number your mentioned is for retirement.

Thank you very much for that clarification UbonJoe.

Appreciate your time in doing so.

Cheers

Sorry if my following question has been previously answered in this thread, but; I'm about to apply for 2nd Non-O multiple entry based on marriage at Savannakhet and aside from the documents I provided for the initial visa last year, is there any extra documentation required for my 2nd visa? I seem to recall mention of a Kor Ror(?) document from local Amphoe office as evidence of my continued incarceration (marriage).....  thnx for any info guys.

6 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Sorry if my following question has been previously answered in this thread, but; I'm about to apply for 2nd Non-O multiple entry based on marriage at Savannakhet and aside from the documents I provided for the initial visa last year, is there any extra documentation required for my 2nd visa? I seem to recall mention of a Kor Ror(?) document from local Amphoe office as evidence of my continued incarceration (marriage).....  thnx for any info guys.

There is no difference between the 1st or 2nd application.

Some people also give a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry but that is not a required document. A updated printout of it can be obtained at an Amphoe for a fee of 20 baht.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2014 at 10:47 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

Interesting. Two questions: any idea whether they also issue based on Thai children, as some consulates that did, now are not? And as the Lao visa fee is cheaper in USD than THB - their FX rates are generously in their favour - does the consulate take the Thai visa fee in USD?

The Non-O based on Thai dependents is only single entry 90-days at Savannakhet, not multiple entry 1 year.

The Thai consulate requires Thai Baht.

6 minutes ago, khunyod said:

The Non-O based on Thai dependents is only single entry 90-days at Savannakhet, not multiple entry 1 year.

The Thai consulate requires Thai Baht.

Did you notice the date on the post you quoted. "On 1/17/2014 at 10:47 PM, Jonmarleesco said:"

Many things have changed since then.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Did you notice the date on the post you quoted. "On 1/17/2014 at 10:47 PM, Jonmarleesco said:"

Many things have changed since then.

The original poster's info is correct about the requirements. I was just filling in answers to the two questions that had not been answered. This post still comes up often regarding Savannakhet visa searches. I'm not vouching for all the info in this post, obviously but what I added is accurate. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My friend just send me a Message from Savannakhet about Multiple Non Immigrant O Visa based on marriage. All as usual no problems no bankstatement :

His Passport and pictures

Copy house paper signed by the wife
I'd card signed by the wife
Copy marriage signed by the wife
Just show original

Still no problems for Non O
  • Like 1

This might seem silly but I have just printed the border Visa on arrival form in black & white ? do you think they would get offended if it does not have the colour emblem on top - One never knows here & dont plan on having to rewrite at the border

Thanks