Unfair Pricing

Misplaced

1 month ago while I was vacationing in LOS I was treated with my first dual pricing. The first culprit was the "Ambassador Bangkok Hotel" in sukumvit on soi 11. When we arrived, my wife asked for a room price and was told 1500 baht / night (great and cheap I thought). Since it was in a good location we immediately took the room. She than asked both of us to fill out the hotel info. My wife filled hers out in Thai while I filled my info in English (habit). When the receptionist noticed that, she asked If I was Thai, which I answered "yes". She immediately took the info card from me (not finished) and told us the price was for Thai nationals only. I told her I am Thai but held dual citizenship. She went into her superiors office (assuming) and came back with "sorry there was a mistake in pricing. Your new price is 2500 baht / night without breakfast -or- 2800 baht with breakfast. My wife asked what happened to the 1500 baht price and was told "it was a miunderstanding". She than asked if we were interested in the new price, if not, than we should seek a new hotel to stay in. I was embarrassed to say the least. We have never been treated so terribly rude in all our years of traveled. We dragged our luggages down the street and was greeted with a great welcome from "THE FEDERAL HOTEL" (our savior). The hotel had the same price for foreign or Thai nationals. As a matter of fact, they didn't even asked "if I'm Thai national or not". Personally, I rather stayed at this hotel than a snobby, bitchy and money hungry hotel like the Ambassador anyway.

The second culprit was the public waterfalls name "sarika". The gate keeper had a sign posted as Thai-20 baht, Foreigners-200 baht. I was flabbergasted, disgusted and just plain irritated. I asked the local why that is and simply was told "because they are farang"... Not a very good explanation to me but not much I can do so I moved on feeling uneasy.

Its been 10 years since my last visit to LOS and things sure have changed alot. The people are still nice, polite and fun to be around. The sceneries are still exceptionally beatiful and the food is still terrific as I remembered it to be. However, The 1 negative things that kept coming back to me is the price gouging of foreigners. I never really felt the wrath of this issue until it happened to me. I know I can't do much to resolved this issue but atleast now I know how many of you feel..uuugghhhh..shame shame shame

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's absolutely correct. This country should be ashamed of themselves for treating foreignors the way they do. Tourism, and the foreignors that live here helps keep the Thai economy afloat.

Barry

The funny thing is that I met a quite a number of foreign residents that having a Thai ID and being able to avoid it, now they agree with the dual pricing policy. Hehe there must be a virus in the air...

I'm sure they let mum and dad pay farang prices when they came for a visit from UK/US/Europe etc. :o

I have a simple rule, I don't go in places known to apply a dual price, this country is big enough to avoid SOB :D

I hadn't noticed dual pricing that much, until we went to the aquarium in Phuket. At the ticket booth, only two prices are displayed: 50 baht for children, and 100 baht for adults (at least in English, and there were only two prices listed). I gave 200 baht to my partner, and he received 50 baht change. Because he is Thai, his price was 50 baht, not mentioned on the sign. Oh, I guess that was just the farang price sign. Anyway, I told him if we'd get me a driver's license, I could get the Thai price. He doesn't believe me, even though I read it on ThaiVisa. If I read it here, it must be true. :o

On second thought, if the Phuket aquarium is equivalent to a national park, I'm all in favor of a reduced price for nationals. Citizens should get into their own parks at a reduced price.

I hadn't noticed dual pricing that much, until we went to the aquarium in Phuket. At the ticket booth, only two prices are displayed: 50 baht for children, and 100 baht for adults (at least in English, and there were only two prices listed). I gave 200 baht to my partner, and he received 50 baht change. Because he is Thai, his price was 50 baht, not mentioned on the sign. Oh, I guess that was just the farang price sign. Anyway, I told him if we'd get me a driver's license, I could get the Thai price. He doesn't believe me, even though I read it on ThaiVisa. If I read it here, it must be true. :o

On second thought, if the Phuket aquarium is equivalent to a national park, I'm all in favor of a reduced price for nationals. Citizens should get into their own parks at a reduced price.

I've only experienced this two times.. once was the entrance fee for the Ko Samet National Park, which I don't mind paying extra, and once at a hotel just off Ratchada, bt100 more for a room.. I stayed the one night, and have never been back..

totster :D

National Parks nationwide have one price for foreigners and one price for Thai nationals.

Speaking good Thai and showing a student card or similar can sometimes help you get in at the Thai price.

A work permit most certainly does.

Since a Thai driving license usually (should) require a work permit, the driving license can also help.

(I dont like dual pricing at all, but the truth is that most Thais either do not care or think it is fair that foreigners who generally have more money than Thais, pay a higher price.)

If we avoid the places that charge us more, they will be forced to rethink. Vote with your feet.

Or if you think the policy is generally fair, or still believe 200 baht is not a lot of money, pay up and be happy. Whatever works for you. :o

Showing your Thai DL often gives you the Thai price. However, this is no law.

BTW, meadish_sweetball:

Since a Thai driving license usually (should) require a work permit, the driving license can also help.

You do not need a WP to get a Thai DL, however, you doneed a non-imm - visa.

A work permit most certainly does.

Unfortunately it not always does. It depends mostly on some petty official at the gates. :o

Not much that can be done though other than refusing to enter those places with doble prizing. At least the double prizing here is relatively minor compared to some other countries, such as China, where you simply cannot avoid it.

PeaceBlondie stated:

So, and why is that so?

Non-citizens on a workpermit do pay taxes as well, which, in case of national parks, does contribute to the upkeep.

Misplaced posted:

I was embarrassed to say the least. We have never been treated so terribly rude in all our years of traveled.

I never really felt the wrath of this issue until it happened to me. I know I can't do much to resolved this issue but atleast now I know how many of you feel..uuugghhhh..shame shame shame

Well, unfortunately most places have some insidious practises against foreigners that most citicens never get to hear of as they are not directly affected.

Just as an example, the asylum laws in Europe, which have been developed after WW2, when many Jews and opponents of the Nazi regime have asked for refuge in foreign countries but were refused. Since many years those laws have been undermined by not allowing citicens of many crises countries on airplanes without valid visas for which one has to fulfill certain rules that very few real refugees can. Only if one crosses into European territory one can ask for asylum.

Result is that real asylum seekers often cannot without using criminal networks, and have to go on ardeous journeys in which uncounted people die. And even if successful, have to repay huge debts to those networks.

Shame, yes. Very much so.

Big jump from paying 100baht more to refugees swimming to Gibraltar and then saying it's the same . . .

I asked my brother in law, a research scientist at one of the top Universities in Thailand, who is well travelled, studied in the US and the UK etc . . . what his opinion is of the duality in pricing for foreigners and locals. he quite rughtly said that foreigners earned more and could afford it while locals generally earned less.

So I asked him if means-testing would be acceptable - say if someone drives up in a Merecdes or BMW, should he pay more?

Of course not . . .

Ok, if you came to my country would you accept paying more than the locals?

Of course not . . .

This is Thailand!

Big jump from paying 100baht more to refugees swimming to Gibraltar and then saying it's the same .

Don't mean that it's the same, just try to bring some relativity into this emotionally charged issue, meaning that there are worse things than double prizing in the treatment of foreigners.

Showing your Thai DL often gives you the Thai price. However, this is no law.

BTW, meadish_sweetball:

You do not need a WP to get a Thai DL, however, you doneed a non-imm - visa.

Ok, I stand corrected... I think. Do you have a reference to the law or regulation regarding this by any chance?

The reason why I ask is because it seems to depend on the official occasionally, like in the case ColPyat was stating.

We had a story reported recently (I think it was chanchao) where they asked for a certain document in relation to his renewal of a driving license, and his wife went afterwards without the document, and got it done...

I don't agree with it either, though, as one with a Thai ID card, I guess I may be somewhat biased.

The reverse is also true however (which doesn't make any of it right!). Thai work collegues of mine have been refused accomadation at some plush hotels around the country on the basis of being Thai. Some hotels simply have a 'No Thai' policy. I can't tell you which ones, but I belive my collegues claims.

I don't agree with it either, though, as one with a Thai ID card, I guess I may be somewhat biased.

I have a Thai ID card too. And I noticed when I tell them I have one they don't even care for it to be produced most of the time.

The reverse is also true however (which doesn't make any of it right!). Thai work collegues of mine have been refused accomadation at some plush hotels around the country on the basis of being Thai. Some hotels simply have a 'No Thai' policy. I can't tell you which ones, but I belive my collegues claims.

A Thai friend of mine who used to run a resort bungalow in Ko Tao told me refused to accommodate Thai guests most of the time for they sometimes check in with 7 or 8 guests crammed into one room and often bring a rice cooker, not utilizing dining facilities in the resort and making a big mess out of the room. But she herself did the same thing when she went to Singapore, checking in to a hotel with two persons for a single twin bed room but with another accompanying person to sneak into the room later to avoid extra bed charge.

wow ... people actually skip the National Parks in Thailand because they have to pay 200 baht?

They sure do miss alot by being cheap!

However I DO pass on going to for profit businesses that have pricing differences :o

Ok, I stand corrected... I think. Do you have a reference to the law or regulation regarding this by any chance?

The reason why I ask is because it seems to depend on the official occasionally, like in the case ColPyat was stating.

We had a story reported recently (I think it was chanchao) where they asked for a certain document in relation to his renewal of a driving license, and his wife went afterwards without the document, and got it done...

Referring to Thai DL

http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

Pretty accurate although easier if you have an International Driving permit than just need a color- and reaction-test. Yes, sometimes they ask for more than needed. Or different pictures a.s.o.

Sorry, side remark that should not lead off -topic. :D

As for double pricing, I try not to go to places where this is common. The funniest I ever saw is at a public boat-landing near the Oriental in Bangkok. Marked in English only "Landing fee Baht 10" :o

wow ... people actually skip the National Parks in Thailand because they have to pay 200 baht?

However I DO pass on going to for profit businesses that have pricing differences :D

Same, same! :o

Yes when i was in Koh Samui i wanted stay at the Cheweng garden resort in jan and they said 1100 baht, then I rang my fiancee who was in bangkok and told her to ring them and ask for a price so I know how much I can bargain them, she is Thai and they told her sorry its full. Then I was like dam I should of taklen that price. Then I thought I will ring anyway, then they said the same price and there is room left. So I went there and paid for the room with me and my friend and there was quiet a few left I could choose from.

I was starting to think, hey maybe they only want tourists coming here because its more money, I got my fiancee to ring again and they said sorry no rooms left. I thought that was pretty unfair for the local Thai's because it would be very hard for them to get a room because they are saving them for the tourists to come and pay top dollar/baht.

Big jump from paying 100baht more to refugees swimming to Gibraltar and then saying it's the same .

Don't mean that it's the same, just try to bring some relativity into this emotionally charged issue, meaning that there are worse things than double prizing in the treatment of foreigners.

Sorry, didn't meant to sound harsh, but when you are confronted with this day by day it gets tiresome.

However I DO pass on going to for profit businesses that have pricing differences :D

Well for me it's that i don't really give a sh*t about national parks; I've seen my fair share around the world where they don't treat foreigners as cows. But you go on and have fun Mr. rich farang..mooooh :o

I pay local rates now .... but I certainly was happy to pay US$5 in the past .... wouldn't hesitate to now. There are just some times that you should give the crying a rest :o

On my trip to LOS over songkran I had the following examples of dual pricing.

Wat Po Falang 100B, Thai free

Royal Palace Falang 300B, Thai free or 50B

Crocodile Park Falang 250B, Thai 100B

Ampur Boran (Ancient City) 300B, Thai 100B, the falang price included the tram, had to pay extra for the Thai. She thought it was funny she had to pay extra for something that was included in my ticket.

I looked at it this way, I was saving money by saying I had a Thai with me, rather than being upset at being charged extra. I had come to expect the dual pricing from warnings in this forum.

It is same here in Perth. If you live same shire as the Aquarium you pay less than evey one else, including most residents of Perth.

Haven't really noticed for all foreign hotel groups operating in Thailand, but the crew over at LeMeridien (both of their locations in Phuket at least) charge foreigners more than Thais. Shame on those farang owned (and managed) hotels for doing that "when in Rome...TIT" thing!

:o

Yeppers we pay extra at the Grand Palace and a little at Wat Po (20 baht I think) ... but the money making places like the Croc farms etc I just don't pay extra for ...

Well I for one think it is crap.What next? Seperate queues for black people?Triple pricing for Jews?I suppose I am going to be in for some flack with this post,but I despise this rascist nonsense of double pricing.I tell Thai friends who think they are poor to go to Myanmar then come back and tell me that again.

I'm all in favor of a reduced price for nationals.

Ah but it's not a reduced price PB; they hiked up the entrance price for foreigners by 1000%, so we pay an over-infated price as opposed to Thais paying a reduced price :D:o:D

Saying that, I've always successfully used my Thai licence. :D

Dual pricing happens all over the world not just in Thailand.

In my own hometown in Michigan, the local residents gets into the city park for free but others have to pay $5.00 to park their vehicle(s). Valid Michigan drivers license is req'd upon entry. So to say it happens only in Thailand is not entirely True.

I was just astonished of how a large hotel such as the Ambassador have such terrible customer service and uncaring mannor for its potential customers. I felt humiliated when the receptionist asked us to leave when we didn't accept the dual pricing price scheme(many foreign visitor were present at that time). Mind you, 2500 baht a night is not expensive, its actually relatively cheap when compared to the hotels in the US, but its the act of superiority by the receptionist that bothered me. We should have been taken aside and explained the situation rather than were asked to leave their premises (Ofcourse we would have stayed anyway regardless).

So everyone take note the name of this Hotel and stay away until they come to their sences.

BTW, are there any Thai organization which we can report this rude act to?