What is Best Brands for Laptops?

racyrick

I would like your opinion as to what is the best brands and service under warranty for laptops purchased in Thailand.

What is the best brand?

What is the worst brand?

What has the best service under warranty?

What has the worst service for warranty?

Thank you or your help.

I am having a hard time deciding what to buy.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like I've been unlucky with Toshiba, keyboards broken just after the warranty expires. Acer problems as well but others swear by them.

My Lenovo is the best performer yet. Next will be an Asus.

I recommend Lenovo for durability. The build quality is better than the other two mentioned brands. It just doesn't feel too flimsy.

If I were in your shoes I'd go and look at the available models in the bigger shops and then look online for reviews. Go with what feels best for your budget.

There are so many possibilities. It's really up to you.

I had a Toshiba for many years and was really pleased with that.

Later changed to an Acer. Was also very pleased.

Now I have a Dell (also perfect).

I have simply gone for the best deals for the specs. that I had.

Edit: Oh, as for service I only needed Acer and the service was excellent.

Edited by petedk
  • Like 1

I have owned 2 HP's (1 a Compaq model) and a Lenovo. Lenovo is by far the best. No trouble in 18+ months. Very cool running and quiet. Highly recommend. Never buy the cheapest model (ComPaq) or the most expensive (HP). Mid-range (Lenovo) is better unless you need a lot of power for gaming and/or graphics.

I would like your opinion as to what is the best brands and service under warranty for laptops purchased in Thailand.

What is the best brand?

What is the worst brand?

Thank you or your help.

I am having a hard time deciding what to buy.

I used to sell laptops from Acer and Toshiba. Close to 90% had to go to service, so stay clear of those.

Dell is ok, and they have very good warranty, especially in Europe.

In my opinion, the best laptops (Windows OS) you can get now is 1. Asus 2. HP

Good luck with your choice :)

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

APPLE accept no substitute !

sure they are expensive but once you have owned and used one you will see the value.

and please do not start slagging off at them unless you actually own one and are familiar with them .

rob

Having just tried to install office for my niece with multiple users on a macbook pro you can keep them.

The reason everyone is sitting in the apple shop asking for help is that everything is either broken or illogical in operation.

Macbook Pros are nice machines. Just install Win7 on it the moment you boot it for 1st time.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

sure they are expensive but once you have owned and used one you will see the value.

and please do not start slagging off at them unless you actually own one and are familiar with them .

rob

Having just tried to install office for my niece with multiple users on a macbook pro you can keep them.

The reason everyone is sitting in the apple shop asking for help is that everything is either broken or illogical in operation.

Macbook Pros are nice machines. Just install Win7 on it the moment you boot it for 1st time.

It's not my machine.

Finally worked out tonight that each user needs a separate installation of office. <deleted>????

As for iPads without multiple logins, that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. It's basically compulsory for everyone to have their own tablet to function in apple.

Crazy

Edited by Thai at Heart

rob

It's not my machine.

Finally worked out tonight that each user needs a separate installation of office. <deleted>????

As for iPads without multiple logins, that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. It's basically compulsory for everyone to have their own tablet to function in apple.

Crazy

The <deleted>?? should be aimed at Microsoft, whose licensing requires an install for each user..

As for ipads with different user accounts....does any tablet? A device with limited storage, and you want to fill it up with multiple media libraries and applications for multiple users?

Yeah I dont think that's the idea with any tablet, they're seen as personal devices, like a smartphone.

"The reason everyone is sitting in the apple shop asking for help is that everything is either broken or illogical in operation."

Really....?!

• Like 1

I have 5 Toshiba computers as I buy them with something new and all work fine. I also has Acer.

I once bought Lenovo and it didn't start because of hard drive same day failure.

For Windows, Lenovo are a good choice. Friends also like Acer and Toshiba. Avoid very cheap laptops - they are cheap for a reason... I avoid Asus, HP and Dell, as do many others.

If money is not an issue, buy a Macbook Pro. I have had many laptops and desktops over the last 20 years, most running Windows and quite a few on Linux too. Having recently got a 5 year old Macbook Pro, I must say that I love it more than anything else I have ever used... The build quality is outstanding and, to me, the operating system is a revelation. I won't be buying a Windows machine again, i'd now rather have a secondhand Mac than a new Windows machine.

I am awaiting the bombardment from Windows fanboys... No worries, I get the envy!!!

I use Linux all day at work (mint), have three Windows machine in the house, and the one Macbook Pro. Guess which I use the most? OS X is beautifully elegant and is a pleasure to use; Windows is FINE, but hardly elegant! We all have our own criteria and can make our own choices, but for me the elegance of Mac is the trump... I feel spoilt using it!

Just saying...

• Like 1

Sounds like your buying a car....... People that buy cars also think there going to breakdown often.

Have 2 laptops, never had any problem ever

Bought new August 1999 a Sony AMD 15.4, last few years is used only as internet connection to find TV from around the world on my TV.. was expensive back then and had a very big HDD for its day [40GB laugh.png ]

The other is a Acer also expensive in its day 38,000 baht, [Zee Ransit IT] never missed a beat in 7 years and used every day.. still has the genuine XP on it and runs well for an old laptop. Always use and have used since new external HDD, [now 2x 1TB - WD HDDs] so laptop HDD has very little on it

Only know how slow these old laptops are when you have a up to date Desktop [AMD FX-8350 + 8 GB Ram + Win 8]

For Windows, Lenovo are a good choice. Friends also like Acer and Toshiba. Avoid very cheap laptops - they are cheap for a reason... I avoid Asus, HP and Dell, as do many others.

If money is not an issue, buy a Macbook Pro. I have had many laptops and desktops over the last 20 years, most running Windows and quite a few on Linux too. Having recently got a 5 year old Macbook Pro, I must say that I love it more than anything else I have ever used... The build quality is outstanding and, to me, the operating system is a revelation. I won't be buying a Windows machine again, i'd now rather have a secondhand Mac than a new Windows machine.

I am awaiting the bombardment from Windows fanboys... No worries, I get the envy!!!

I use Linux all day at work (mint), have three Windows machine in the house, and the one Macbook Pro. Guess which I use the most? OS X is beautifully elegant and is a pleasure to use; Windows is FINE, but hardly elegant! We all have our own criteria and can make our own choices, but for me the elegance of Mac is the trump... I feel spoilt using it!

Just saying...

Thanks everybody for the replies.

As I expected, there reallly is no clear cut winner in any category.

I was just hoping a clear picture would emerge.

By the way, just looking for a mid price laptop (or inexpensive one) for my 8 year old son to use, mostly for gaming today and for my use, mostly for surfing the web and basic stuff. Nothing complicated or fancy or work related.

If you have any suggestions knowing this imformation, I would appreciate it.

rob

It's not my machine.

Crazy

The <deleted>?? should be aimed at Microsoft, whose licensing requires an install for each user..

As for ipads with different user accounts....does any tablet? A device with limited storage, and you want to fill it up with multiple media libraries and applications for multiple users?

Yeah I dont think that's the idea with any tablet, they're seen as personal devices, like a smartphone.

"The reason everyone is sitting in the apple shop asking for help is that everything is either broken or illogical in operation."

Really....?!

Not for one machine with multiple users. I don't mean licence. Load the office prigram into admin and then have to install it again for a user???? Bizarre in the extreme. Still trying to get the email suite to work with a live.com email address.

The hardware is nice but extremely pricey.

Personal pieces of kit. Right ho. So I am limited to buying an individual tablet for everyone in the house. 4x iPad 4x phone, of one style and price basically.

At the moment have nexus 7 tablets for the kids. I have my login on both and can pick them up at any moment and use them instantly. No extra password to login.

Have everything on drop box. Job solved.

Completely private. A tablet in a family context is not a private piece of kit.

Edited by Thai at Heart

rob

I have an ipod 1 and it is great for watching movies, I bought it hoping it would take the place of my Acer laptop (it has had it's problems over the 5 years I have had it) but no way. it will not accept my password etc, and to prove it was not me who was at fault, I took it to my local computer shop, and the engineer had the same problem. I now only use it for watching films which I download from youtube, not on the Ipod, but from my home desktop, and e-mails.

Really....?!

Not for one machine with multiple users. I don't mean licence. Load the office prigram into admin and then have to install it again for a user???? Bizarre in the extreme. Still trying to get the email suite to work with a live.com email address.

The hardware is nice but extremely pricey.

Personal pieces of kit. Right ho. So I am limited to buying an individual tablet for everyone in the house. 4x iPad 4x phone, of one style and price basically.

At the moment have nexus 7 tablets for the kids. I have my login on both and can pick them up at any moment and use them instantly. No extra password to login.

Have everything on drop box. Job solved.

Completely private. A tablet in a family context is not a private piece of kit.

I just tested this. Running Mavericks and office 2011 (with office installed only on the admin account)

Created new user account, signed in, and all office 2011 programs are available??

As for the Nexus, ok, I wasn't aware they have user accounts, I can see the benefit, but for me, yes, the ipad is a personal device, so its not an issue. For your family situation, then great, the Nexus makes sense, not sure why you'd have to buy 4 x iPhones though, did you buy nexus 5 phone for everyone?

I dont think you can run apps from dropbox?

and without an internet connection, viewing a pic/video or playing a song isn't possible, so I don't agree that dropbox solves the shared storage issue.

How about the reason apple stores are full is because "everything is either broken or illogical in operation" comment?

Just venting?

wai2.gif

• Like 1

Sony Vaio Pro 11 and Pro 13 are as nice as Macbooks, Vaio Pro 11 is just as thin as Mackbook Air, carbon fibre and Al, 800 grams..

If only it didn't come with Win8 preinstalled.. You can install Win7, Sony website even offers drivers, but some functions won't work with 7.

And the stupid touch screen! Why would I want to touch the display, when there is full keyboard, and nice large trackpad.

Black version of Pro 11 is so nice, I can't think of anything nicer really.

Pro series replacesd Vaio Z laptop, 2 years ago Z was Sony flagship notebook, with i7 processor it cost 95.000 baht just 16 month ago, that hurts. But Pro 11 w i5 and 4Gb ram is 35.000 baht, not much for what you get, except the horrible Win8, which never should have been used as notebooks os, tablets and phones only.

Guys from Bangkok, have you seen Pro 11 in Pantip, and if so, how much are they asking? I haven't been to Pantip for 3 months, didn't see any Sony Pro laptops then. But maybe there are now? Or other IT malls maybe?

Pro 11 with i5, 4gb ram, 128 Gb ssd is 35.900 in Sony Center, there must be other places that sell them?

Edited by valgehiir

rob

If you can't install software on a Mac you shouldn't use a computer to begin with.

• Like 2

I think when you buy a laptop, it's not just the hardware or the warranty.

My current Macbook is four years old and has had a very rugged life. I bought it in Australia with extended Apple warranty but on the few occasions I've needed warranty work done, i've had no problem going to the local reseller in Chiang Mai. The fact that the warranty on my machine would be honoured most places in the world is something I really like.

I also like my machine for its ease of use. I do have windows installed, and it works OK, but I much prefer the ease of OSX.

I'm impressed when I read about other people using multiple generations of laptops, but I think another year or at most two is about as much as I want to eke out of mine - after that time, the hardware might still be functioning ok, but updating the software starts to be problematic, and in Apple's case after seven years support of any kind is no longer provided, meaning that as I understand it old Apple laptops are vulnerable to viruses and probably not safe to use on the internet.

I'm not sure how easy it is to keep older Windows machines up to date with security fixes etc, but that's something the OP might want to consider.

There's also the matter of how the manufacturer treats its customers. On the one hand, I like the way Apple has looked after me for warranty claims (not all Macbook owners would be as satisfied as I am in that regard), but I dislike the way Apple are now insisting that users always update to the latest version of the software (currently Mavericks), and if you don't update for whatever reason that's your bad luck because they no longer provide security updates for older software (e.g. Snow Leopard).

Another factor is the larger eco-system. If you have a windows computer, do you also buy a windows phone? If you have an Android phone, do you also buy an Android tablet? With Apple, some people have the latest Macbook, iPhone and iPad. Of course, that's what Apple wants, and many people love the integrated nature of apple's software across different devices but … having Apple tell me what I can and cannot do in iTunes, for example, is something I don't want.

So an aspect of buying a laptop is, for some users, also a question about which eco-system, if any, they are buying into, and what the benefits and restrictions of that eco-system will be. It's not just the hardware and how long it will last.

I do not now...but many years ago the Toshiba warranty and service was the only valid in most countries. Anyway....if will be used just for Internet browsing, light office works, e-mail and chat, and not for heavy games and music programs, any laptop under 15K will do it very well, and with Windows XP even better. The "restore" fixture in XP save my computers many times from viruses and crashes, and from expensive services. Personally, and from past experiences, I like Acer and Dell, I do not like HP/Compaq and Lenovo.