Thai nationality id card different for foreigners

Just see that this thread has been living on for a while.

Lost interest after the photoshop artist came up.

Funny how people speculate about the checksum (digit 13) without the slightest background knowledge tongue.png

The formula to compute the checksum (digit 13) is described in the Thai WiKi and yes, it is a "little more complex" than some seem to assume biggrin.png

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A2

Click the thumbnail:
post-99794-0-21090000-1416363079_thumb.j

There are misc web sites where you can validate ID numbers or generate "valid" ID numbers.

I have put the formula in a simple script and can check it on my own.

i today saw an id card, number starts with zero, white front, pink back.

any idea what this means?

Pink back? Number starts with 0?

Thats not a current ID card for a Thai national. Whatever it is.

Publish an image (anonymized) or it didn't happen.

Thats what a current Thai ID card looks like, all the rest is misreading/joke or whatever:

http://www.weekendhobby.com/board/enduro/picture%5C309255110500.jpg

I have recently done a flight booking for a group of nine Thai people and have seen almost all ID cards in our family.

So I know what I am writing about.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The check digit calculation is a bit more complicated than that. A widely used 13-digit number is the GTIN (in Europe often still called by its old name EAN) and you can read about the algorithm for its check digit calculation here: http://www.gs1.org/barcodes/support/check_digit_calculator

The above link also lets you type any 12-digit number and it will calculate the corresponding check digit using the algorithm employed for GTIN. I did it with three Thai ID card numbers and it is evident that another algorithm is used for these but I have found no publicly accessible information about it.

Yes unfortunately it is not one of the algorithms on this site.

One that works is this:

http://www.hits.in.th/idcard.php

Its in Thai, but fairly obvious to use,

Enter the 12 digits in the edit field and hit the "หาเลย!" button right to it.

Probably a stateless peson.

correct - I got the confirmation on this.

can you imagine the stateless person carrying that ID card issued by the Thai government has been arrested, and police wanted to actually deport him, when that ID card actually allows the person to stay anywhere in Thailand and work?

I couldn't believe it.

The person spent 2 nights in prison before a senior police official could be contacted to reprimand the local station and free the prisoner !!

Learning something new.

Digit 0: sounds like an asylum seeker, displaced person or stateless? (not quite sure which term is right).

(so definitely not a Thai citizen)

Some hints in Thai found here: http://coolaun.com/math/idcard/

This is supposed to show an ID card of a "displaced person" (not sure whether this is the correct English word, I am not a native speaker).

Stateless: sounds reasonable, as I can not find a nationality on this card:

(issued in Phrachuab Khirikhan province, checksum 0 is OK by the formula)

id0.jpg?w=400&h=300

Edited by KhunBENQ

Learning something new.

Digit 0: sounds like an asylum seeker, displaced person or stateless? (not quite sure which term is right).

(so definitely not a Thai citizen)

id0.jpg?w=400&h=300

Very cool, I have never seen a white ID card before! It says on top of the card that it is an "ID card for an individual who doesn't have a registered status". (Or something like that.) So this may in fact apply to all the three suggestions. As you already mentioned, he is definitely not a Thai citizen considering the "citizen" word (ประชาชน) part is left on the top of the the ID card, whereas it appears on the Thai citizen card.

So what card will I get for a Half Thai? I wasn't born thailand so do we foreign born get our own unique ID card? That would be pretty cool.

That sounds cool to have a special and unique ID card, but in practice this would rather be an annoyance. Believe it or not, but I even had trouble to identify myself as Thai with my Thai passport (except at the airport of course). I don't want to know what a card that looks different from all others would do. No issue with the Thai ID card though.

If you want to feel unique, take comfort that you will be on of the few citizens whose ID card starts with a 5.

Why a 5?

I don't think I would ever be "Thai". My mind is far too western, I'm half Thai and I was born outside the kingdom.

http://coolaun.com/math/idcard/

Cause you will be:

ประเภทที่ 5

คือคนไทยที่ได้รับอนุมัติให้เพิ่มชื่อเข้าไปในทะเบียนบ้านในกรณีตกสำรวจหรือกรณีอื่นๆ เช่น คนที่ถือ 2 สัญชาติ

Thai's who have received permission to enter a tabieen baan following not being orignally counted (surveyed on some implied census date), or Thai's with other circumstances, ie, holding two citizenships.

I certainly wasn't registered till I was 30, so I guess I meet the former category, and certainly the latter.

But my kids, who have 3 citizenships and have blond hair and blue eyes were registered immediately after birth, so they have a '1'.

Interestingly, my mother and aunt who moved to Australia 40+ years ago and recently re-aquired their Thai ID cards were issued with ID numbers starting with a '5' implying they probably got this number as they weren't around on the census date when they 'upgraded' ID numbers.

Also interestingly - to do with the 'Does Thailand recognise dual nationality' debate, here is another bit of proof that it does.

post-441-0-48814200-1416567651_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...