Thai Army, police break up red-shirt, PDRC clash on Chaeng Wattana

webfact

Army, police break up red-shirt, PDRC clash on Chaeng Wattana
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Many red-shirt supporters arrived on motorcycles and in vans yesterday to challenge the anti-government protesters rallying on Chaeng Wattana Road.

Tensions rose at around 11am when the red shirts arrived en masse, announcing through a public address system that the rally at Chaeng Wattana was inconveniencing passenger van operators and local residents.

The red shirts gathered about a hundred metres from the barrier set up by the security guards of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

Gunfire was reportedly heard in a confrontation between the red shirts and the PDRC guards, causing the motorcyclists and vans to back out before regrouping later.

Army officers then rushed in to stop the confrontation, and police officers also stepped in to help. The clash eventually came to end at around 12.30pm. About half an hour before that, an explosion was heard from the side of the Prapa Canal causing protesters and reporters to dash for cover behind the PDRC barrier.

Pol Maj-General Piya Uthayo, spokesman of the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order, said police have already arrested several suspects at security checkpoints set up around Bangkok. He said the Metropolitan Police commissioner and commanders of all police stations in Bangkok have been instructed to give top priority to keeping peace at rally sites as well as strictly enforce the law.

Meanwhile, deputy Army spokesman Colonel Winthai Suwaree warned Pathum Thani red-shirt leader Wutthipong "Ko Tee" Kachathamkul to stop organising rallies to provoke violence and confront PDRC protesters.

Winthai said the Army could no longer tolerate Wutthipong's act of intimidating government officials, which has led to violence.

He said that Wutthipong's threat of taking action against protesters if the Pathum Thani governor was unable to end the PDRC rally in the province within three days was unacceptable.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-18

Red shirts?

The way it reads is that people who's lives are being affected tried to protest against the PDRC, or is any opposition to Suthep considered red?

Gunfire caused the so called reds to disperse so I guess they were not shooting at themselves?

The way it reads is red shirt leader Ko Tee led a group to attack the PDRC protestors.

He should have been arrested.

That's right. Protesters have no right to protest the protesters facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif pagespeed_url_hash=4031585225 width=24 height=18>

They have no right to attack them. There is a difference.

Show me where they attack them?

• Like 2

This situation is unbelievable - well it would be anywhere else on the planet: "Winthai said the Army could no longer tolerate Wutthipong's act of intimidating government officials, which has led to violence". The act of closing down Bangkok against the will of the majority is an act of intimidation, Preventing civil servants from attending their place of work is an act of intimidation, beating up people they dont like the look of is an act of intimidation....and yet it is Wuttiphongs intimidation that must be dealt with according to the army. This is the people against almost every agency of the Thai state.
It should have read The Army can no longer tolerate SUTHEPS acts of intimidating government officials etc!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Red shirts?

The way it reads is that people who's lives are being affected tried to protest against the PDRC, or is any opposition to Suthep considered red?

Gunfire caused the so called reds to disperse so I guess they were not shooting at themselves?

The way it reads is red shirt leader Ko Tee led a group to attack the PDRC protestors.

That's right. Protesters have no right to protest the protesters facepalm.gif

Surely, the protesters still have the right to protest the protesters even though the protest is still under the protesters protest, but if the protesters did protest the said protesters, then the protest will be void of the protesters or the actual protest.

What do you think? Double facepalm.giffacepalm.gifAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

All you red and yellow lovers arguing your points of principle and biting each others legs on TV do not make one scrap of difference to what is going on here, and for all the good it would do you may as well take your own fight onto the streets and see the reaction of local people when you do.

No point in getting upset about it all; chill out and have another beer as you won't change anything.

• Like 2

Provocateurs looking for a fight, but the people of Bangkok will let not them in again after what they did 2010.

But occupying government buildings and trying to disrupt the democratic process is not provoking. Love the hypocrisy there. And back 2010 Thailand was a dictatorship. Something that you probably prefer.

• Like 2

"Winthai said the Army could no longer tolerate Wutthipong's act of intimidating government officials, which has led to violence."

hahaha................. not that I agree with this Wutthipong law enforcement should deal with the protestors

- ..... but the stupid comment of not being able any longer to tolerate Wutthipong

...but we can tolerate Suthep's act of intimidation and holding Bangkok hostage as long as he likes!

Great attitude! Like I said before give everything the army is supposed to get to the poor - the Thai army is a useless bunch of clowns!

xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.zYprVTCWT1.web alt=biggrin.png pagespeed_url_hash=14303579 width=20 height=20>

And the Thai Army was pretty tolerant of the PAD when they closed Bangkok airport - the greatest international security breach in the world.

These posts and quotes are fantastic and the more airing they get the better.

It is plainly obvious to most and becoming plainer to many that the Army is trying to get back in. Every day, in every way they keep proving this and this last Army outrage shouts it from the top....

This works against them and the Coup Plotters by keeping the spotlight on them. Most of this posturing is for Thai Consumption and they are just trying to swing enough fascist behind them to enable them to try again.

Luckily, it is all over the internet and as it is a stream of concerted co-ordinated court cases and rantings from the Army, when it is all pulled together by foreign media look more and more like a plot.

To try and offset this deluge of information pointing to collusion, people are sent out to discredit the journalists, foreigners, media etc. but it is just not working this time for them.

Many very reasonable post just attract idiot comment these days and with the vote for Suthep as person of the year, is showing a very immature and badly thought out social media campain. One thing to get all these posts out, but as the look co-ordingate, all use the same juvenile words in them and reference the same sources..... its badly done.

many do not yet know that the press reports can work against them as well, so they just keep talking and talking and talking... The more they talk, the more theu turn people off. And a few orchestrated Social Medial campaigns is never going to win them public support or ELECTIONS!!! Not ever.

Red shirts?

No, the way it reads is that in an entirely separate, unrelated incident, Pol. Lt. Col. Wintai warned Ko Tee to stop doing stuff he was accused of doing. It did not say Ko Tee had anything to do with the counter-demonstration. I speculate the editor decided to throw that unrelated item in there because it makes he Red Shirts look bad. Common propaganda technique.

Provocateurs looking for a fight, but the people of Bangkok will let not them in again after what they did 2010.

But occupying government buildings and trying to disrupt the democratic process is not provoking. Love the hypocrisy there. And back 2010 Thailand was a dictatorship. Something that you probably prefer.

Dictatorship, really? Are you living in another Thailand compared to the rest us?

Dictatorship, really? Are you living in another Thailand compared to the rest us?

I say again. Confused bunch.

If I could have any pet in the world I would have a fanboy. Maybe a cross between a Jeff Savage and a Connor Purcell. I would ensure it was muzzled and chained up lest it burn something down and blame someone beginning with the letters "dj". It would however provide me with hours of laughs.

post-140765-0-32569700-1390021895_thumb.

Dictatorship maybe a bit strong, but the government at the time of the 2010 protests had not been elected by the people. It was installed by the military. Very different to the current protests, where the government was democratically elected by a big majority.

I really do hope that the shots were fired by the protesters at the reds.

The protesters have proven for almost 3 months now that they intend to use methods that are non-violent. But will fight back if attacked.

The protesters should not be the sitting ducks that they have been allowing themselves to be. I say that any aggressors to the protesters should be quite simply put down by any means, and if that means shooting the bastards dead, then so be it.

It is time for the PDRC to protect themselves. If the reds want to come forward to precipitate violence, then they should accept to have the favour returned in the name of defending the protesters.