Protesters vow to continue Bangkok rallies despite deadly blast

webfact

Protesters vow to continue Bangkok rallies despite deadly blast

BANGKOK, January 18, 2014 (AFP) - Anti-government protesters pledged to stage a fresh march through the Thai capital Saturday, a day after a bomb attack on their rally that killed one and left dozens injured.

Tensions soared following the blast, the latest bloodshed in weeks of demonstrations aimed at forcing Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra from office and derailing February 2 elections.

A 46-year-old protester who died of his wounds from the explosion became the ninth person killed during the demonstrations, which have also seen scores injured in several outbreaks of unrest.

The anti-government movement said rally leader Suthep Thaugsuban would lead another procession on Saturday, despite being nearby when the explosion tore through their march as they neared a busy intersection in the shopping district of the city on Friday afternoon.

"Suthep will lead the march but our security will be tighter. We will have an advance team to check around the route before the main entourage marches through," spokesman Akanat Promphan told AFP.

The capital's Erawan emergency centre said the blast left one dead and 37 injured, with 11 remaining in hospital.

An official from the centre said the injured protester died of his wounds early Saturday.

"He died from severe loss of blood after suffering shrapnel wounds to his major internal organs," he told AFP.

Authorities and demonstrators blamed each other for the blast, which was apparently caused by a grenade-type device thrown from a nearby building.

Thailand has been periodically rocked by bouts of bloody unrest since just before a 2006 military coup that ousted Thaksin Shinawatra -- Yingluck's older brother -- who now lives in self exile abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption.

The current wave of protesters are a coalition of Thaksin's foes among the Bangkok middle class, southerners and the royalist elite.

They want to rid the kingdom of the influence of the billionaire former leader and are calling for an unelected "people's council" to push through vaguely defined reforms before an election in a year or more.

Demonstrators have occupied major intersections in the capital since Monday in what they have dubbed the "Bangkok shutdown".

The protests were triggered by a failed amnesty bill that could have allowed Thaksin to return without going to jail.

The billionaire telecoms tycoon-turned-politician is accused of controlling his sister's government from his base in Dubai.

He has strong electoral support in northern Thailand, which has helped him and his allies to win every election in Thailand this century.

Yingluck called the snap February poll in an attempt to deflate the political crisis, but the main opposition Democrat Party is boycotting the polls, fearing they would again lose to the Shinawatra family.

Government supporters fear the protest violence is aimed at provoking another military coup, although the army has so far seemed reluctant to pursue this option.

Thailand has seen 18 actual or attempted coups since 1932, while the judiciary has also stepped in to strip pro-Thaksin governments of power in the past.

Yingluck is also facing several legal moves which experts say could potentially bring down her government.

On Thursday the National Anti-Corruption Commission launched an investigation into possible negligence of duty by Yingluck in connection with a controversial subsidy scheme for rice farmers.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-01-18

If they want to continue the protests they should get more people as the numbers are dropping.

Not too much time needed anymore to make the lass leave I think. She may very well face court. It's in the family genes to run away then.

If they want to continue the protests they should get more people as the numbers are dropping.

Not too much time needed anymore to make the lass leave I think. She may very well face court. It's in the family genes to run away then.

Live on Thai PBS @ Chang Wattana site 10 am news. Less than 100 elderly people lying around on mats.

They're making "legal moves" against the elected government. The international community will be raving about these moves to depose and remove an elected by a huge majority government. The international community will rave about Thailand's putting up a "people's council" composed of inside elite. It wouldn't be a surprise to see international boycotting of Thailand should this occur.

Protest leader Suthep marching again today despite fresh bombing
By Digital Content

13900169384654.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 18 – Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban declared that he was undeterred by yesterday’s explosions which killed one and injured scores of people and will march on Bangkok streets again today to urge people to join the fight against the government.

Mr Suthep, secretary general of the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), could not hold back his tears as he announced the names of protesters injured in the explosions near Ban Tad Thong intersection.

He led protesters from the Pathum Wan rally site on the fifth day of marching in the capital yesterday, as bombs were hurled from a deserted building, injuring more than 30 people.

He said a protester from Nakhon Si Thammarat, identified as Prakong Choochan, 46, was hit in the chest by shrapnel and rushed to Ramathibodi Hospital.

“His main artery was severed but doctors stitched it and pumped his heart to restart it. He is still in coma,” said Mr Suthep last night, adding that the PDRC will take responsibility for medical expenses for all injured protesters.

The Erawan Emergency Medical Service Centre later announced that he had died from his injuries.

Mr Suthep said the people have been fighting unarmed and that the protests over almost three months have been peaceful and non-violent despite repeated intimidations.

“We have been harassed and attacked 27 times. The residence of the Bangkok governor was bombed Thursday night,” he said.

He added, “I cannot guarantee if I will survive. If they get rid of me, please do not surrender but fight on. Do not let our brothers and sisters shed blood and lose their lives for nothing. We have to pursue our determination to totally wipe out the Thaksin regime.”

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said the government was against violence and has instructed police to hunt for culprits in the bombing at Ban Tad Thong intersection.

She said the government has provided protection to all groups of people equally.

Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said he did not understand why Mr Suthep switched his marching route to the road where the deserted building was located.

Bombs were hurled at protesters from the building.

National Police Chief Adul Saengsingkaew urged protesters to allow police to inspect the explosion scene and promised to fully investigate the case.

He expressed concern that similar violence could occur again and stood firm that police were not involved in the explosions and war weapons found at the scene. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-18

One thing, I noticed, is that the AFP acticles are quite biased against the demonstrators. Terms like "win every election this century", "Yingluck called the snap February poll in an attempt to deflate the political crisis", is putting a spin on something, that is supposed to be news.

For anyone, to think, that Yingluck called the election to deflate the political crisis, would be comical. You would have to be a total idiot to believe that. So again, the Western Propaganda machine at work.

Maybe it's time for Western media, to keep their nose out of trying to influence foreign Countries, and start sticking their nose, in the S*&t of their own Nations, most of which stink to high heavens.

So far ,the only media, i found, that has some unbiased reports, on most issues around the World, is RT (Russia Today) and I'm from Canada, so I never thought, I would look at Russia today, for accurate news.

It's a sad world indeed, where sheep get manipulated everywhere, by media, controlled by the few ultra-rich, around the World.

As far as the demonstrations go, yes, I support the demonstrators, but because of my own, selfish reasons, not because I think, they are any better or worse, than the other side.

I just get tired of all the manipulation, ,by the International media and watching the sheep go Baaa Baaa and repeating everything they hear, like it is the truth. wai2.gif

So who do you think was behind the bombing of the PDRC march yesterday? And who benefited politically from the bombing? Be honest with us now!

One thing, I noticed, is that the AFP acticles are quite biased against the demonstrators. Terms like "win every election this century", "Yingluck called the snap February poll in an attempt to deflate the political crisis", is putting a spin on something, that is supposed to be news.

For anyone, to think, that Yingluck called the election to deflate the political crisis, would be comical. You would have to be a total idiot to believe that. So again, the Western Propaganda machine at work.

Maybe it's time for Western media, to keep their nose out of trying to influence foreign Countries, and start sticking their nose, in the S*&t of their own Nations, most of which stink to high heavens.

So far ,the only media, i found, that has some unbiased reports, on most issues around the World, is RT (Russia Today) and I'm from Canada, so I never thought, I would look at Russia today, for accurate news.

It's a sad world indeed, where sheep get manipulated everywhere, by media, controlled by the few ultra-rich, around the World.

As far as the demonstrations go, yes, I support the demonstrators, but because of my own, selfish reasons, not because I think, they are any better or worse, than the other side.

I just get tired of all the manipulation, ,by the International media and watching the sheep go Baaa Baaa and repeating everything they hear, like it is the truth. wai2.gif

So who do you think was behind the bombing of the PDRC march yesterday? And who benefited politically from the bombing? Be honest with us now!

The Government, because they are trying to scare the protesters and diminish the numbers of protesters. I rule out the military, because, I believe I know, they are not planning to stage a coup. (You will see, as this unfolds, that the military will not stage a coup this time) The Government wants these protests to end, before it is found guilty, in the courts. It might have even been an attempt to throw a grenade somewhere behind Khun Suthep, in order to cause confusion, so they can arrest him, in the resulting confusion. The weapons were left behind, in order to make people think, it was the military or someone else.

Violence, in the past, even before the last coup, has mostly been against the protesters.

Of course, this has a potential of backfiring on the Government, because in the future, more violent parties, might stand against them.

Either way, I think, the Shin Clan's days are numbered.

Mark my words though, there will be no coup. When the future will prove this, ,maybe people will look at what happened in a different light.

Thailand is not an isolated economy and if it wants to remain Nationalist, it cannot afford to stage a coup. There would be too much International fallout.

I think, as long as the demonstrators can delay elections, until this fraudulent Government is brought to justice, their main aim will be achieved.

Yes, there will be elections again, sometime in the near future, yes, there is a good chance, that Thaksin's Puppets could win again, but at least, by then, a lot of the lies, will have been exposed and people will be making a more educated choice.

I am happy, that there is more than one news choice in Thailand and that opposing views, from every side, get broadcast. Bluesky and ASTV, broadcast live, almost 24 hours per day. The Government and the Reds have their own channels, too. Thai people, have a huge variety of news information to choose from and to make up their own minds.

In the end, it will come down to, who they love. Because Thai emotions run very strong and are not as easily manipulated by foreign press and writers.

On one side, Thai people love their King and Thaksin, on the other side, Thai people love their King and Suthep. Both sides love their king! So there is common ground, as far as the people are concerned. In the end, differences will be put aside and the Nation will heal.

All in all, Thailand is still one of the best places on Earth to live. I was born and raised in Germany, spent 17 years there and then spent another 25 years in Canada, but I found my home in Thailand and plan on spending the rest of my years here.

Long LIve Thailand - Long Live the King!

• Like 1

Mark my words though, there will be no coup. When the future will prove this, ,maybe people will look at what happened in a different light.

Thailand is not an isolated economy and if it wants to remain Nationalist, it cannot afford to stage a coup. There would be too much International fallout.

I really hope you are right about this. No irony! But I think you're wrong.

The yellow network needs a coup to win the fight with the red network, but they need an excuse, and they are working on that... (kaboom!)

As for the international community they don't care if there is a coup. It would be coup number 20 or thereabouts in the last 80 years. If the international community didn't cut off trade with Thailand because of the last 19 coups why would number 20 be different?

• Like 1

The red shirts, with the help of CAPO and the police.

The PDRC benefited politically.... But whoever said that the reds and the police were clever?

Everything they have done so far has been a massive backfire and this incident is just another one in the list.

Indeed, this march will continue, and those who sought to impede that through sheer terror were mistaken. In fact, it intensifies the resolve of the need for change, where such atrocities can apparently happen in an open society.

• Like 1

The sad fact is that every injury, every death can only be laid the door of Thaksin himself,

These tragic events are due to his manic pursuit of absolute power and revenge at any price, the injuries and deaths have been part of his campaign . Those injuries and deaths are on all sides of the political and personality spectrum indeed Thaksin and his clan have blood on their hands.

The people do not want Thaksin or his family nor the associated corruption, manipulation of the judiciary and the legal system , tampering with the charter and a get off scot free amnesty bill bill along with rampant deception and nepotism so beloved by Thaksin and his ilk.

The people are voicing and showing their displeasure of Thaksin.

The sooner the cancer of Thaksin and his family is removed from the body of Thai politics the better. The public are the surgeons and though the operation may be slow that cancerous tumour removal will be succesful

• Like 1

The caretaker government does not need violence to see an end to this farce.

Only the PDRC and their dwindling support would benefit from it with possible military intervention.

Feel free to make up your own mind as to which faction is likely to be behind the majority of it.

Agreed Yingluk and her government have received a lot of international applause in the way she has handled the whole situation, calmly and without being drawn into Sutheps attempts for violence. International diplomats are probably laughing at the clown Suthep and his circus of fools. Yes Yingluk would definitely be winning this on the international stage.

Edited by chooka

I think Suthep will be protesting even in 10 years, walking up and down Sukhumvit, preaching his hate against the government, probably still wearing the same pants and old tennis shoes, blowing his rusty once-golden whistle every once in a while.

The last protester will have left years ago ..and that last protester was a soi dog who lifted his leg and took a piss at the stage where Suthep once spoke.

I think Suthep will be protesting even in 10 years, walking up and down Sukhumvit, preaching his hate against the government, probably still wearing the same pants and old tennis shoes, blowing his rusty once-golden whistle every once in a while.

The last protester will have left years ago ..and that last protester was a soi dog who lifted his leg and took a piss at the stage where Suthep once spoke.

Nah he will be sitting in his wheel chair with no one to push him and claiming he has 6 million people supporting him and the soi dog will be pissing on him and not the stage. The guy is dead in water, he has lost the fight and time to put his feet up with a nice warm cup of chocolate and a rug.

• Like 1

The red shirts, with the help of CAPO and the police.

The PDRC benefited politically.... But whoever said that the reds and the police were clever?

Right, so it's all a big conspiracy built on stupidity.

Only the PDRC and their dwindling support would benefit from it with possible military intervention.

Feel free to make up your own mind as to which faction is likely to be behind the majority of it.

Agreed Yingluk and her government have received a lot of international applause in the way she has handled the whole situation, calmly and without being drawn into Sutheps attempts for violence. International diplomats are probably laughing at the clown Suthep and his circus of fools. Yes Yingluk would definitely be winning this on the international stage.

Let's see how the darling of Isaan fairs when the farmers don't get paid and the NACC exposes the rice scam corruptions. Wonder if she'll answer the Ombudsman before the election? Wonder if the Ombudsman will stir this up before the election?

"I was out of the county doing important rice deals er, I mean shopping. I didn't know about this, honest, it wasn't me" Boo hoo, tears, smirks to gang.

Let's see how the darling of Isaan fairs when the farmers don't get paid and the NACC exposes the rice scam corruptions. Wonder if she'll answer the Ombudsman before the election? Wonder if the Ombudsman will stir this up before the election?

"I was out of the county doing important rice deals er, I mean shopping. I didn't know about this, honest, it wasn't me" Boo hoo, tears, smirks to gang.

Isn't it about time for Surapong, the CAPO di tutti CAPI, to be charged with aiding and abetting a criminal on the run by personally delivering a passport to his cousin in Dubai. Getting a bit tired of his hideous mug coming into my living room and his appalling fashion taste.

On Thai tv today they had showed a pile of weapons in a room above the bomb site. On top of the pile was a red cap. Does this mean that the perpetrator was a red supporter, mummy?

Nope. It was planeted by suthep thugs that want to have blood in the streets again.

They're making "legal moves" against the elected government. The international community will be raving about these moves to depose and remove an elected by a huge majority government. The international community will rave about Thailand's putting up a "people's council" composed of inside elite. It wouldn't be a surprise to see international boycotting of Thailand should this occur.

They are making "legal moves" ??????? I think you are wrong. They are not being any where near legal.

Protest leader Suthep marching again today despite fresh bombing

By Digital Content

13900169384654.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 18 – Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban declared that he was undeterred by yesterday’s explosions which killed one and injured scores of people and will march on Bangkok streets again today to urge people to join the fight against the government.

Mr Suthep, secretary general of the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), could not hold back his tears as he announced the names of protesters injured in the explosions near Ban Tad Thong intersection.

He led protesters from the Pathum Wan rally site on the fifth day of marching in the capital yesterday, as bombs were hurled from a deserted building, injuring more than 30 people.

He said a protester from Nakhon Si Thammarat, identified as Prakong Choochan, 46, was hit in the chest by shrapnel and rushed to Ramathibodi Hospital.

“His main artery was severed but doctors stitched it and pumped his heart to restart it. He is still in coma,” said Mr Suthep last night, adding that the PDRC will take responsibility for medical expenses for all injured protesters.

The Erawan Emergency Medical Service Centre later announced that he had died from his injuries.

Mr Suthep said the people have been fighting unarmed and that the protests over almost three months have been peaceful and non-violent despite repeated intimidations.

“We have been harassed and attacked 27 times. The residence of the Bangkok governor was bombed Thursday night,” he said.

He added, “I cannot guarantee if I will survive. If they get rid of me, please do not surrender but fight on. Do not let our brothers and sisters shed blood and lose their lives for nothing. We have to pursue our determination to totally wipe out the Thaksin regime.”

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said the government was against violence and has instructed police to hunt for culprits in the bombing at Ban Tad Thong intersection.

She said the government has provided protection to all groups of people equally.

Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said he did not understand why Mr Suthep switched his marching route to the road where the deserted building was located.

Bombs were hurled at protesters from the building.

National Police Chief Adul Saengsingkaew urged protesters to allow police to inspect the explosion scene and promised to fully investigate the case.

He expressed concern that similar violence could occur again and stood firm that police were not involved in the explosions and war weapons found at the scene. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-01-18

Well suthep, you asked for this. you have been asking for violence and you got it. It is completely your fault. You ask or oreder kidnaping and other things and this is what you get.

• Like 1

Is she from Isaan, I thought she was from the chiangmai area. She is just a poor Isaan girl who has made good,

They are making "legal moves" ??????? I think you are wrong. They are not being any where near legal.

Some of the demonstrators actions are legal, some aren't. But there will not be any international ramifications should the existing Government be deposed as a result of the demonstrations. The international community is extremely fickle. Now that even the Taliban are being spoken to again.

And yesterday's enemy is often today's friend. Iraq being an example but many many more available. It's all about self interest and Thailand isn't threatening another country, nor allegedly is Suthep proposing abandoning democracy completely. So after suitable "concern" being expressed, it will be be business as usual.

Another bias AFP article, who are they fooling? Thaksin is accused of controlling the PTP? Surely they can't be that ignorant of the facts - they were publishing information about his involvement as little as 12 months ago. What happened? They forgot? Or received a generous donation from Thaksin?