Foreign press admit covering Thai conflict is tricky

Lite Beer

Noppatjak Attanon
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign reporters covering the political conflict in Thailand admit they face difficulties doing their job here.

At a forum on Thursday night about covering the protest, held at the Foreign Correspondents Club, Veronica Pedrosa from Al Jazeera shared her experience of interviewing caretaker PM Yingluck Shinawatra. She said Yingluck was so cautious in her responses, she could not "reach" the PM's real self.

Pedrosa said the people around the PM, many of whom are male, were very interested and asked whether she thought Yingluck was really pretty.

Pedrosa said that sometimes the media could not stay neutral, such as in the case of the killing of many journalists in the Philippines several years ago.

Reacting to criticism that foreign media do not understand "Thai-ness," Jonathan Head from the BBC said simple short reports could not explain the complexity of the Thai conflict.

"It's not about not understanding Thai-ness. It's because we have to explain a complex issue in very little time and space," he said.

He said the BBC had never taken sides and that favouring one side would make their work even harder.

He also shared the experience of being misunderstood by a protester. "A Thai woman was very friendly to me and thanked me for my reporting, and then asked me if I was Michael Yon [another reporter]."

Head said Thailand was one of the countries where political players most quoted the foreign media.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-19

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I put little stock in the foreign media...This report demonstrates my antipathy in part....A foreign reporter making the facile comments she makes indicates they usually don't have a clue...I am sent foreign newspaper clippings from friends in Holland and Canada. I find that the reports are in large part copying or paraphrasing the Thai mainstream domestic media with all its' agenda's. An indepth analysis just takes too much work for most of them...These foreign reporters can get away with that, as their audience at best have only a cursory interest in Thai Politics...They have enough political stuff going on in their own country, to get their shirt all in a knot about Thailand...Another reality leading to this, is that the Thai English Language Media is the only one these reporters can read.....The UDD/RS/PTP are unilingual in the main, and really don't care what us inconsequential Farangs think about politics here. We are the only one's puffed up about our pontification, as is the norm for political junkies.

Edited by Fryslan boppe

The media with their journalists like to make people believe that their reporting of conflicts is objective. This is just laughable, and who are they trying to fool. In the end of the day, we are all human. From the western two big ones BBC and CNN, to the smallest tiny newspapers, its always a human being behind the stories printed or shown. The only way to get anywhere near objective covering of a story, is to put a computer to do the work, but then, it takes a human to do the programming.

• Like 1

Yep, if you find out too much, the snipers, hired by influential politicians will hunt you down and do everything to get you silenced...

Lets not forget the Army or even groups of protesters that are conviniced you are paid by those very same influential Politicians

'Pedrosa said the people around the PM, many of whom are male, were very interested and asked whether she thought Yingluck was really pretty.'

Well, there's profound political analysis for you - never mind that the countries ruined, is the PM pretty? That face and status business will be the ruination of this country.

Is it really different than what the media spinners do for other political leaders? Who do you think makes sure we are treated to beefcake photos of Putin or Obama? Perhaps the Thais had the image of Grandma Merkel at the spa in Italy seared in their eyes?

post-46941-0-39353200-1390098953_thumb.j post-46941-0-50588700-1390099006_thumb.j post-46941-0-40941500-1390099029_thumb.j

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

The foreign press is just now getting around to "admitting" that it is difficult to cover Thailand. Too bad the foreign press has been covering it inaccurately and pandering to the establishment for over fifty years. Now they haven't got a clue what is really going on in Thailand. They long ago stopped trying to figure out the truth. All those wasted years getting a draw to hangout and write occasional dribble. All those years hanging around in Bangkok bars and the FCCT bar a block away from Ratchaprasong and they are clueless about reporting the facts with a sense of history.

• Like 1

Yep, if you find out too much, the snipers, hired by influential politicians will hunt you down and do everything to get you silenced...

Lets not forget the Army or even groups of protesters that are conviniced you are paid by those very same influential Politicians

Uhh, how many TV and radio stations does the Thai military control in Thailand?

• Like 2

I put little stock in the foreign media...This report demonstrates my antipathy in part....A foreign reporter making the facile comments she makes indicates they usually don't have a clue...I am sent foreign newspaper clippings from friends in Holland and Canada. I find that the reports are in large part copying or paraphrasing the Thai mainstream domestic media with all its' agenda's. An indepth analysis just takes too much work for most of them...These foreign reporters can get away with that, as their audience at best have only a cursory interest in Thai Politics...They have enough political stuff going on in their own country, to get their shirt all in a knot about Thailand...Another reality leading to this, is that the Thai English Language Media is the only one these reporters can read.....The UDD/RS/PTP are unilingual in the main, and really don't care what us inconsequential Farangs think about politics here. We are the only one's puffed up about our pontification, as is the norm for political junkies.

I think you'll find organisations like the BBC and CNN ect. have the ability to take in non English content as well.

• Like 1

It also makes it a bit tricky when foriegn reporters get bashed, intimidated and attacked by bonehead yellow shirt protesters when the coverage is not to their liking.

Indeed. And it would be intersting to ask Veronica Pedrosa if this report in The Nation is an accurate reflection of her comments. For some reason, I have serious doubts

• Like 1

Reacting to criticism that foreign media do not understand "Thai-ness," Jonathan Head from the BBC said simple short reports could not explain the complexity of the Thai conflict.

"It's not about not understanding Thai-ness. It's because we have to explain a complex issue in very little time and space," he said.

I very much doubt Jonathan Head could explain the complexity of the conflict even when given an hour on BBC.

Edited by EricBerg
  • Like 1

The difficulty that foreign correspondents are having with Thailand is precisely what Jonathan Head says - that the complexity of the situation here cannot possibly be condensed into a short time-frame - let alone 30 seconds. In this article, a journalist describes the difficulty in " getting through " to Yingluck in interview, while being flanked by a sea of male aides desperate to know if she is struck by how pretty the prime minister is - comes right to the heart of two key, related issues. As Yingluck is a proxy PM - a puppet, so to speak - her appearance, her prettiness - occupies a much larger dynamic of the package than would otherwise be the case. If she can't speak, that makes it even more important. If she doesn't understand what's going on, an even greater role than that still. Her English has improved - to her credit - though not to a considerable degree. But she is further handicapped by generalities, avoiding searching questions, and generally says nothing that a four year old girl could not be coached to mimic in a day. Journalists are hardened creatures. They know a smoke-screen when they see one. And yet - Yingluck poses special challenges in today's journalistic world. She's truly impossible to interview, as anyone who has seen them can attest, with the journalists clearly trying to enter what seems to be an unfathomable space. She's like George W. Bush without the intellect.

You want to make it all about Yingluk or would like to expand it to include Mr heads to head with Siri or Abhisit etc etc ? they are all a nightmare to talk to.

• Like 1

The difficulty that foreign correspondents are having with Thailand is precisely what Jonathan Head says - that the complexity of the situation here cannot possibly be condensed into a short time-frame - let alone 30 seconds. In this article, a journalist describes the difficulty in " getting through " to Yingluck in interview, while being flanked by a sea of male aides desperate to know if she is struck by how pretty the prime minister is - comes right to the heart of two key, related issues. As Yingluck is a proxy PM - a puppet, so to speak - her appearance, her prettiness - occupies a much larger dynamic of the package than would otherwise be the case. If she can't speak, that makes it even more important. If she doesn't understand what's going on, an even greater role than that still. Her English has improved - to her credit - though not to a considerable degree. But she is further handicapped by generalities, avoiding searching questions, and generally says nothing that a four year old girl could not be coached to mimic in a day. Journalists are hardened creatures. They know a smoke-screen when they see one. And yet - Yingluck poses special challenges in today's journalistic world. She's truly impossible to interview, as anyone who has seen them can attest, with the journalists clearly trying to enter what seems to be an unfathomable space. She's like George W. Bush without the intellect.

You want to make it all about Yingluk or would like to expand it to include Mr heads to head with Siri or Abhisit etc etc ? they are all a nightmare to talk to.

Ms Pedrosa is streets ahead of J.Head when it comes to HONEST journalism. question, Abhisit a nightmare to talk to ??? I would have thought he is one of the best English spoken Thai to interview, and pretty honest.

Head has prepared questions same as any journo he works for the BBC the British brainwashing corporation so yea i agree hes not too fantastic, as to Abhisit ive always found him smug weak and I admit he makes my skin crawl and has done for many years, bit like Taksin did when he arrived on the scene tbh call it a gut feeling, both pale into insignificance tho when it comes to Suthep i just know with every fibre that one isnt as smart as either of the other two and far far more dangerous for it.... imo

Yingluck and George Dubya Bush have the same English.

Ms Pedrosa is streets ahead of J.Head when it comes to HONEST journalism. question, Abhisit a nightmare to talk to ??? I would have thought he is one of the best English spoken Thai to interview, and pretty honest.

Head has prepared questions same as any journo he works for the BBC the British brainwashing corporation so yea i agree hes not too fantastic, as to Abhisit ive always found him smug weak and I admit he makes my skin crawl and has done for many years, bit like Taksin did when he arrived on the scene tbh call it a gut feeling, both pale into insignificance tho when it comes to Suthep i just know with every fibre that one isnt as smart as either of the other two and far far more dangerous for it.... imo

Interviewing Abhisit is problematic.He was very evasive and unconvincing in BBC Hardtalk interviews, initially with Zinab Badawi when he became PM and then later with Stephen Sackur.And yet, and yet..it's impossible not to admire many things about him.I feel it's also quite wrong to put him in the same category as unpleasant human beings like Thaksin and Suthep.It's almost like a Shakesp[earian tragedy with Abhisit - attractive personally, highly intelligent, well educated and devoid of corruption BUT sometimes ungracious, weak in judgement and too ready to compromise his integrity and align with morally ugly forces to advance his cause.

On Jonathan Head I once had the privilege (in 2009 from memory) of discussing his abilities with Anand Panyarachun,universally respected as a statesman.Khun Anand thought he (Jonathan Head) was the best foreign journalist operating in Thailand - though he also mentioned they had been to the same English public school so perhaps he was a bit biased in his admiration.

• Like 2

Have you seen Yingluck being interviewed in English, she just strings together 2 or 3 word phrases used in business and political reports. If you actually produced a transcript of the interviews and asked people to read and comprehend it, it would not be possible.

Bring along a translator and conduct the interview in Thai. You might get slightly closer to an answer but not much.

• Like 1

Curious, you say that and all I can think of is Hiro Muratomo and Fabio Polenghi...............

• Like 1

In today's world so many reporters fall into the trap of believing that they have to report the facts which are their own interpretation of data. Simply report the data and leave the interpretation up to those with a better understanding. The political culture here is so divisive that it becomes almost impossible to differentiate between reality and perception.

When even statistics gathered can be selected before they are presented to you as a journalist, there is always some form of bias in journalist's reports and - as Head suggested - the very fact that reports have to be delivered in short, viewer-friendly bursts means that complex issues often have to be reduced to sound-bites.

However, although there are respectable English language Thai journalists here who are doing a good job, they seem mostly to be confined to editorials. I'm not in a good position to comment on the journalism in Thai language newspapers, as my ability to read Thai is not of a sufficient level yet to judge. Some comments I can make with some confidence, however, are that:

1. Foreign journalists will have a wider perspective of the current crisis unmuddled by personal involvement or experience. This can go either way (i.e. 'you don't understand us' or 'oh, you get us a little TOO much and it makes us feel uncomfortable')
  2. Foreign journalists generally have the urge to dig deeper into the murkier aspects of the conflict, where Thai journalists would be afraid to tread for fear of falling foul of certain laws.
  3. The irony of no. 2 is that foreign journalists are rarely given the airtime to report in detail and so these more in-depth analyses never see the light of day unless they become part of a TV documentary or published book.
  • Like 1