What does being called a Farang mean to you? Good or bad?

bgrassboy

Like I said, if people are so offended, they really ought to leave.

Oh sorry, that's right . . . most white people aren't offended.

Something of an inconvenient truth for your argument, isn't it?

The reason "most" white people are not offended is because they don't possess the language skills to know enough about what is being said.

If they did, they most certainly would be offended in many situations.

My life, job and family are here; I'm not going anywhere.

Would you tell immigrants in the US during the Bush administration that if they didn't like his policies they should leave? Is that the kind of person you are?

I have the right to express my opinion, and I have the right to be offended by things without having to leave.

You are quite the fascist, aren't you?

What do you mean "they don't possess the language skills to know enough about what is being said"?

By the end of their first visit to this country, all but the most retarded white people will be perfectly aware of what the term "farang" means.

You spout more and more drivel with each and every reply and to think it's all fueled by your over-sensitivity to an innocuous term the locals used to describe people of your race.

If you feel so strongly, if your civil rights are so trampled upon, if it wounds you so, tell the Thais to stop using it.

I'm no fascist but as I've said more times than I can remember, if the locals used the word n****** in my earshot, every single day like they use the word farang around white people everyday, I would be on a plane out.

I would piss off because the Thais using it would be perfectly aware of the fact that the word is offensive to black people.

You think I don't know that Thais probably use another homegrown word to describe black people when there are no black people around? They most certainly do but the fact that I don't even know what it is suggests that they abstain because they think I'll find it offensive. For the most part, they don't enjoy offending people as you should know.

They use the word "farang" knowing for sure that white people don't find it offensive. They know this because NO WHITE PEOPLE HAVE TOLD THEM THEY FIND IT OFFENSIVE!!

Honestly, it's like talking to a freakin' child.

Anyway, go ahead, feel offended. Whinge on TV forums and look even more of a fool.

Edited by HardenedSoul

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the end of their first visit to this country, all but the most retarded white people will be perfectly aware of what the term "farang" means.

The power of self-deception is very strong.

How many white guys are buying houses for a Thai woman that clearly can't stand them, then telling everyone how much she loves him?

How many white guys live in an Issan village, treated like shit by everyone, footing all the bills, and claiming they are living the good life?

How many white guys start up a business for their gfs to own and run, while getting nothing back?

The power of pussy is strong, especially if you never got any, at all, in your home country.

Most white guys were totally whipped in their home countries, and continue the tradition here.

If their misses and their family call them 'farang' they will claim it's a term of affection till the end.

That's why there are so many white guys claiming it isn't offensive, and it isn't derogatory.

They won't admit their own 'rented' families despise them.

• Like 1

So Thaivisa is in the dictionary business as well? Sorry the word is always going to controversial, it's never going to be 100% neutral and as such it's fair game for discussion.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes but is it important?

They can call me Farang, whity, pinky, longnose....I don't care....fatty would be unfair because I am not anymore but everything else is what I look like.

The reason "most" white people are not offended is because they don't possess the language skills to know enough about what is being said.

Would you tell immigrants in the US during the Bush administration that if they didn't like his policies they should leave? Is that the kind of person you are?

I have the right to express my opinion, and I have the right to be offended by things without having to leave.

What do you mean "they don't possess the language skills to know enough about what is being said"?

You spout more and more drivel with each and every reply and to think it's all fueled by your over-sensitivity to an innocuous term the locals used to describe people of your race.

If you feel so strongly, if your civil rights are so trampled upon, if it wounds you so, tell the Thais to stop using it.

I'm no fascist but as I've said more times than I can remember, if the locals used the word n****** in my earshot, every single day like they use the word farang around white people everyday, I would be on a plane out.

I would piss off because the Thais using it would be perfectly aware of the fact that the word is offensive to black people.

You think I don't know that Thais probably use another homegrown word to describe black people when there are no black people around? They most certainly do but the fact that I don't even know what it is suggests that they abstain because they think I'll find it offensive. For the most part, they don't enjoy offending people as you should know.

They use the word "farang" knowing for sure that white people don't find it offensive. They know this because NO WHITE PEOPLE HAVE TOLD THEM THEY FIND IT OFFENSIVE!!

Anyway, go ahead, feel offended. Whinge on TV forums and look even more of a fool.

Now you are just getting silly. Just because you hear the word being said doesn't mean they understand the "context" in which it is used. I would have assumed you were bright enough to get that, but now you have shown me otherwise and I stand corrected.

I have always said that it depends on the context in which it is used which makes it offensive.

I seem to have your dander up; it appears I have some power over you. Calm down, take a chill pill and don't think about me and my emotions so much because I assure you; the feeling is not mutual.wink.png

How many white guys are buying houses for a Thai woman that clearly can't stand them, then telling everyone how much she loves him?

How many white guys live in an Issan village, treated like shit by everyone, footing all the bills, and claiming they are living the good life?

How many white guys start up a business for their gfs to own and run, while getting nothing back?

The power of pussy is strong, especially if you never got any, at all, in your home country.

Most white guys were totally whipped in their home countries, and continue the tradition here.

If their misses and their family call them 'farang' they will claim it's a term of affection till the end.

That's why there are so many white guys claiming it isn't offensive, and it isn't derogatory.

So in these situations that you describe, would it make any difference if they called him by his name?

you are mixing complete different topics........

I know a lot people that get a bad life from their wives and are called John.

They are thinking that it is complete normal to be called John, as they got to hear it all the time when they were a child. Even their bad father who was a drunk and beat them called them John.

Still they claim it isn't offensive to be called John

Now you are just getting silly. Just because you hear the word being said doesn't mean they understand the "context" in which it is used. I would have assumed you were bright enough to get that, but now you have shown me otherwise and I stand corrected.

I have always said that it depends on the context in which it is used which makes it offensive.

I seem to have your dander up; it appears I have some power over you. Calm down, take a chill pill and don't think about me and my emotions so much because I assure you; the feeling is not mutual.wink.png

Good Lord, you're actually serious?

My dander??

A futile attempt at misdirection in the face of a cogent argument you can't possibly counter without sounding even more foolish and you think you have power over me? cheesy.gif

Okey dokey, I'll regard that as capitulation on your part until such time as you return after having told every Thai using the word "farang" to your face or within earshot to cease and desist in lieu of a vicious beatdown.

Means nothing as I am a farang.

Beats being called a chocolate man, think about them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I find it quite amusing, actually.

Still, how daft would it sound it a Thai came up and said "Chocolate Man" with a sneer on his face? laugh.png

• Like 1

Means nothing as I am a farang.

Beats being called a chocolate man, think about them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I find it quite amusing, actually.

Still, how daft would it sound it a Thai came up and said "Chocolate Man" with a sneer on his face? laugh.png

I think I'd me tempted to shout "eat me" back.

Hang on ....... that works for "farang" too!

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

“If a man is called to be called a farang, he should be a farang even as a Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should be a farang so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, 'Here lived a great farang.”

Rev Martin Luther King Jr

I don't think you are understanding my point. Let me clarify

First off, it doesn't bother me that much; I have learned to live with it. What bothers me are people like you who defend the use of the word as socially acceptable.

What Thais do and talk about amongst themselves is their own business, I could care less if they call me a falang till the cows come home

However, when purposely catering to tourists and westerners; talking about "falang" like they are objects is offensive. If you are going to advertise your business as an international standard then you need to have staff who speak and behave in an INTERNATIONALLY appropriate way, not like the people you are serving and taking money from are aliens from a distant planet.

Thailand CLEARLY wants to be looked at well by the world's eyes and be a top notch INTERNATIONAL destination. They should act like it. Classifying and referring to people by their race in front of their face is just not OK. Not in Thailand, not anywhere.

Hope you see the difference.

Says you. Thais think differently. This is their place. They don't mean any harm by it, you personally don't get offended by it, so you're just giving them some free consulting advice about how to run their country, culture, language because some PC idiot foreigner choose to take offense?

It IS socially acceptable, this is their society and they get to make the rules.

The fact that "international standards" are getting shoved down each individual country's throat is IMO a huge problem in the world, much more so than this picayune BS.

It's the DIFFERENCES in the world that make life interesting, between the sexes, between races and cultures, between each-unique individual. Treasure them rather than trying to wipe them out and you'll enjoy your time on this spec of dust we call home a little more.

Advice on how to run their country? You are speaking drivel.

Using the term "falang" xenephobically is certainly not part of Thai culture as you would have it; it is however, a social phenomenon which will eventually die out as they develop as a society and become more globally aware, less nationalistic etc.

Also, you seem to be quite one sided; If a Thai person in the US complained that he was being talked down to by some Americans and felt offended, would you tell him the same; that he is a PC idiot foreigner?

Or would you listen, let him vent a little and tell him that's just the way people are sometimes, try not to take it too personally.

What would be even more bizarre, would be if he complained to another Thai and that person reacted the way you do. I'm pretty sure that would never happen though.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Jesus H, make your mind up will you, first its farang that offends you, now its the context being used.

Is the word farang on its own offensive or not?

The only times I hear it used on a derogatory basis its usually coupled with such compliments as, kee nok, kow san, etc etc. Every time I hear it used in such situations I agree with the user and its usage.

• Like 1

Not me.

Not me.

Not me.

Got plenty in my home country, then again I am just a regular guy, not some 350 lb Quasimodo.

Most white guys were totally whipped in their home countries,

I am not all bitter and twisted about western women, for the simple reason I didnt get ripped off by one, no chip on my shoulder regarding either the west or western women.

I do appreciate there are plenty of bitter and twisted individuals rocking up here who are still sore.

Take a walk to the lower Suk ghetto the bars are full of them.

I find it neither offensive or derogatory.

In a previous post above our resident expert on its usage has now conceded its the context in which its used rather than the word itself that offends.

Dont have a rented family,

Didnt pay sin sot, dont pay the wife to stay with me.

Please help and tell me where I got it all so wrong.

Signed, A Farang

• Like 2

Jesus H, make your mind up will you, first its farang that offends you, now its the context being used.

The only times I hear it used on a derogatory basis its usually coupled with such compliments as, kee nok, kow san, etc etc. Every time I hear it used in such situations I agree with the user and its usage.

Usually when I hear it it either denotes ignorance or contempt. If someone says "I don't like falang food" ok, not too bad but then again if someone in my country said "I don't like Asian food" I would think they were pretty ignorant as well, what is "Asian food"? Don't they realize that it is not all the same?

What bothers me is the double standard; In my country Thais don't like to be singled out and treated differently because they are "Asian." I know this because I have worked with and know many Thais in my home city; Thais from rich, poor and middle class backgounds.

People should treat others the way they want to be treated; simple, reasonable, logical.

You said "The only times I hear it used on a derogatory basis its usually coupled with such compliments as, kee nok, kow san, etc etc. Every time I hear it used in such situations I agree with the user and its usage."

Translated directly "falang kee nok" is the same as saying "dirty negro" or "dirty hispanic" etc. If you were black or hispanic and I said that about you walking down the street in Bangkok would that be ok? Don't be a hypocrite now.....

Usually when I hear it it either denotes ignorance or contempt. If someone says "I don't like falang food" ok, not too bad but then again if someone in my country said "I don't like Asian food" I would think they were pretty ignorant as well, what is "Asian food"? Don't they realize that it is not all the same?

Asian Vs Farang

Not really equivalent is it.

Gook Vs Farang would be more like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gook

Similar arguments about its meaning too.

Edited by FiftyTwo

To answer KT in post #166.

Make up your mind, what are we discussing here, farang negro or hispanic?

Notice you chose to give a bodyswerve to the question, so will ask it again.

Having witnessed some of these farang kee nok KSR types and their mode of attire, farang kee nok sums them up to a tee.

Yes dirty farang is exactly what they are, not only are they dirty and unkempt, they usually stink as well.

Perhaps you can enlighten me and tell me how I should refer to them, hansum man?

Having witnessed some of these farang kee nok KSR types and their mode of attire, farang kee nok sums them up to a tee.

Yes dirty farang is exactly what they are, not only are they dirty and unkempt, they usually stink as well.

Perhaps you can enlighten me and tell me how I should refer to them, hansum man?

As you aren't Thai, maybe you should call them something in the official forum language, which I believe is English.

OK wa.

Edited by FiftyTwo

As you aren't Thai, maybe you should call them something in the official forum language, which I believe is English.

OK wa.

Is Farang an English word or Thai word? I think it is a Thai word. This discussion is kinda like a group of Thai men writing the definition of words in an English dictionary.

Australians get to tell the world what Australian words mean but here on Thai Visa we have no Thais commenting on a Thai word Farang.

Seems to me since Farang is a Thai word that a Thai dictionary should be consulted. ฝรั่ง Shouldn't the discussion be moved to the Thai language forum? Unless it's an English word. I really don't think it's an English word.

Edited by thailiketoo

I don't agree that it's only a Thai word anymore. There are many examples of internationalized words and I think this is one of them now. Is schmuck a Yiddish word or an American English word? You get the idea.

OK wa.

No problem, krap.

Dirty stinking westerners (usually caucasians) acceptable?

Easily spotted, manky dreadlocks, goatee beard, torn tie dyed shirt, cargo pants and flip flops.

Wrists adorned with elephant hair bands, and last but not least, the ubiquitous sak yant.

• Like 1

I don't agree that it's only a Thai word anymore. There are many examples of internationalized words and I think this is one of them now. Is schmuck a Yiddish word or an American English word? You get the idea.

When defining schmuck who would you ask first? A Thai.

Lets see now, how many people know what Farang means? Hmmmm. 65 million Thai people know what Farang means. How many Farang know what means? What percent of the total of people in the world who know what Farang means are Farang? .00001% or less? You get the idea.

That is a silly question

Is any word "on its own" offensive?

And to answer your other question; dirty hippie; hope that enlightens you as hippies come in all races; haven't you been to KSR??:blink:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I do not mind.

I refer to myself as 'farang'.

It confirms that I am 'different' and a 'foreigner' which I am and proud of it. It all depends on individual's self-esteem.

I happen to be glad being a farang in Thailand.facepalm.gif

That's interesting to me.

It sounds like you have adopted ethnic pride in your pan-European (white) ethnicity as simplistically defined by Thai culture.

I could never feel that way. Not in 1000 years.

I do have pride in my own ACTUAL ethnic identity, something 99.99 percent of Thais wouldn't have the first clue about or even curiosity.

Their word doesn't cover it by a long shot, I don't relate to it as having anything to do with me personally, so yes I do not like it.

However, I accept its usage here as one of the negative aspects of life in Thailand. Not the same as liking it and internalizing/adopting it. I also accept the existence of occasionally rabid soi dogs.

It might be different if I had aspirations to become a Thai and endeavored to THINK like a Thai (which is well known to be quite a schizophrenic endeavor for westerners).

Well, Jingthing, since you expressed interest and I do not sense negativity, let me expand a bit.

I am proud of my ethnicity - it is in no way inferior to Asian, I am proud of my Nationality - it is in no way inferior to Thai, I am proud of my Culture - it is in no way inferior to local.

On a more personal level - I am quite happy with my colour, appearance, tastes in food, arts, my education level, etc. As I said, no low self-esteem syndrome.

I live here geographically speaking, but I eat my kind of food, read my kind of books, speak my kinds of languages, watch my kinds of movies and do not feel like changing my habits.

All the above could and is better defined by 'I'm a FARANG' and intend to stay this way. No ambitions to blend in, naturalize or assimilate (even if it would be possible!).

I am what I am and this does not change with moving from one place to another.

Something tells me there is more similarities between our views than differences but if I'm wrong, -

Cheers anyway ...coffee1.gif

BTW the word 'shmuck' or 'shmock' does originate in Yiddish but has been internationalized by Hollywood movies because a very high %% of their actors and directors happen to be Jews. Since 'mia noi' and other Thai words are not internationalized in any widely known works of art - I do not know them. Moreover, I do not make an effort to learn them.

Edited by ABCer

Apparently not!

Unless you're defining "retarded" as "people who think it's offensive", and that's not fair until they've been told the first few dozen times.

It is not.

Asian Vs Farang

Not really equivalent is it.

Gook Vs Farang would be more like it.

Not at all, totally different, meant to be inherently offensive in every context I've ever come across it.

It is exactly equivalent to how we use Asian.

• Like 1

Using the term "falang" xenephobically is certainly not part of Thai culture as you would have it

THANK YOU, finally. Glad to see we agree.

Well this may well mean most Thais in your life hold you in contempt.

If someone says "I don't like falang food" ok, not too bad but then again if someone in my country said "I don't like Asian food" I would think they were pretty ignorant as well, what is "Asian food"? Don't they realize that it is not all the same?

Well you think it's ignorant to gloss over the differences because you think those differences are important, because you are farang. I think it's entirely likely that 99% of Thais simply don't care about such distinctions - call it willful ignorance if you like. Same as your English example, you think it's ignorant to lump all Asian cultures/cuisines together, but if a country bumpkin has never liked any Asian food they've tasted, think rice looks like maggots and wouldn't dream of trying sushi, that doesn't make him generally ignorant, that's his prerogative. No human knows a lot about everything, we choose the things that interest us.

I don't agree that it's only a Thai word anymore. There are many examples of internationalized words

Yes, and those have to at least some extent started to be used outside of the source culture. Schmuck got into media via show business and is used by people that have never met a Jew nor even knows where it derives from.

Farang is only used by Thais and people that have stayed in Thailand, within contexts that are indicating they are familiar with that specific language and culture. 99.99999% of NES have never even heard the word.

So no, it's just a Thai word that some foreigners have adopted, just like "mia noi" "kreng jai", "mai bpen rai" etc.

What bothers me is the double standard; In my country Thais don't like to be singled out and treated differently because they are "Asian." I know this because I have worked with and know many Thais in my home city; Thais from rich, poor and middle class backgounds.

People should treat others the way they want to be treated; simple, reasonable, logical.

Sure, but this has nothing to do with using emotionally neutral words to describe race.

Also, you seem to be quite one sided; If a Thai person in the US complained that he was being talked down to by some Americans and felt offended, would you tell him the same; that he is a PC idiot foreigner?

But being "talked down to" is one thing, that's not at all what I'm talking about.

I'm simply maintaining that the word itself is not at all derogatory.

And in my experience, I've only heard it used that way by Thais when they are angry and expressing dislike for us, often trying to use emotional blackmail to get what they want - usually more money.

Which in my case doesn't happen all that often.

Edited by wym

I find discussions about the meaning of the word "farang" quite interesting. Not so much for what it means when a Thai person uses it in discussion with or reference to me, but more in your collective reactions. I learn something new everytime.

I think the xenophobic reaction we call racism, is a human trait, one that can be trained out, but never eradicated. I suspect we'd have to have our eyes ears, and sense of touch removed to accomplish that. But then we'd discriminate on smell. so much for my ideas.

I wonder about how the historical context has contributed to the Thai way of viewing others. I mean Thailand's neighbours have had some pretty nasty incidents that may have had a resounding influence on the cultural psyche of the Thai people. Then again considering the socioeconomic/political structure (what little I know of it) of Asia as a whole, xenophobia seems to play a stabilizing role in this society.

I try to deal with my interactions in Thailand, with Thais on an individual basis. The word, is after all a word,and only a word.

Edited by pineconehead