What does being called a Farang mean to you? Good or bad?

bgrassboy

Yep "FARANG"

This one word comes with a special set of its OWN tones.

Trust your instincts.

Polite Thais, NOT prone to wallowing in exclusionary ritual, do not use this word. If they can remember where the farang comes from polite Thais use that. But not all of them all the time.

If a Thai is in the mood to indulge in exclusionary ritual you may hear what he means you to hear.

Any word can be manipulated into an insult.

Source and tone are your litmus here.

Just don't bother to react.

I mean where do you really think you'll get with THAT ;-?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the end of their first visit to this country, all but the most retarded white people will be perfectly aware of what the term "farang" means.

Apparently not!

Unless you're defining "retarded" as "people who think it's offensive", and that's not fair until they've been told the first few dozen times.

Is the word farang on its own offensive or not?

It is not.

Asian Vs Farang

Not really equivalent is it.

Gook Vs Farang would be more like it.

Not at all, totally different, meant to be inherently offensive in every context I've ever come across it.

It is exactly equivalent to how we use Asian.

clearly gook is derived from the type of shampoo the local girls used, so not offensive at all. unless twisted by somone that could make any word offensive. some one close to you calling you farang? bad luck old boy.

my girl is asian and she know it... she takes no offence by it.

She calls me her monkey, sometimes King Kong, and i don't take offence either...

But we are also positive people who like to joke and tease eachother. We don't take words so serious because they are only words.

I'm ok with people who don't respect me, afterall i don't have to spend time with them.

For many, positivity is a struggle, but that is not my concern cool.png

Acceptance of the overuse of this word that dumbs down the complexity of Pan European cultures is not the same thing as liking it, endorsing it, internalizing it.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Overuse? The only ones "overusing" this word is farangs, mostly to complain about use of the word "farang." I'm certain the Thais don't even spend a nanosecond thinking about it.

Imagine, say, Koreans in the USA, complaining amongst themselves about use of the word "Asian" to describe all Asians in America. Meanwhile, the rest of America doesn't even know about it/don't care. It's very much like that in Thailand.

No it's nothing like that in America! In America if you get to know a Korean person they are a Korean, Korean-American, and/or their name. If you go to a cafe you don't hear that Asian over there wants a latte. Yes it is an objective fact that Thais overuse and often crudely use the word in question.

I do agree it is folly to get upset about its overuse in Thailand as you'd only be hurting yourself. But that doesn't mean non-Thais are obligated to use the word in the same way as Thais. Thai culture may be dumbed down about the world but that doesn't mean foreigners in Thailand need to buy into that mindset.

I reckon many foreigners play along with the dumb down as an attempt to fit in. I won't judge that behavior but its not for me.

Edited by Jingthing

Acceptance of the overuse of this word that dumbs down the complexity of Pan European cultures is not the same thing as liking it, endorsing it, internalizing it.

Overuse? The only ones "overusing" this word is farangs, mostly to complain about use of the word "farang." I'm certain the Thais don't even spend a nanosecond thinking about it.

Imagine, say, Koreans in the USA, complaining amongst themselves about use of the word "Asian" to describe all Asians in America. Meanwhile, the rest of America doesn't even know about it/don't care. It's very much like that in Thailand.

I'm thinking very few Asians are calling each other gooks.

But plenty of white Thai apologists calling other white guys, and themselves, farangs.

It's really weird. Like naughty schoolboys learning a new swear word, they have to use it all the time.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Gook is an American word invented by American soldiers. I can tell you as an American soldier it is always meant in a negative way.

Farang is a Thai word invented by Thai people and we have yet to hear from a Thai person what it means. Although every Thai dictionary both online and in print and Thai Visa says it's a neutral word. Pffft what do they know. 5 goofs from Thai Visa think it is a negative word...

My oh my who should we believe?

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Gook is an American word invented by American soldiers. I can tell you as an American soldier it is always meant in a negative way.

Farang is a Thai word invented by Thai people and we have yet to hear from a Thai person what it means. Although every Thai dictionary both online and in print and Thai Visa says it's a neutral word. Pffft what do they know. 5 goofs from Thai Visa think it is a negative word...

Who cares what you think the word means.

If you call a black guy a N%$#@r, do you think he cares what you think the word means?

If you call me farang, it's what I think that counts. And I don't like it, and I don't like anyone that uses it.

If given the chance, I will try to do harm to any person who calls me farang. Maybe not right away.

I'm not the only ones who feels this way, so why deliberately go out of your way to antagonize others?

(which is what you are doing)

I had a friend from the south when I was a kid; his mom used to get these round chocolate pieces we all loved to eat.

They called them "ni&&er toes."

They meant it in a non-offensive way, I knew them personally so I know they had no animosity towards black people.

Is it ok then for them to use it? Where they are from it is socially acceptable to use the term, the majority of the people would say the word is nuetral and no malice is intended.

Judging from the logic on here, many seem to think that this use of the word is OK.

• Like 1

I had a friend from the south when I was a kid; his mom used to get these round chocolate pieces we all loved to eat.

They meant it in a non-offensive way, I knew them personally so I know they had no animosity towards black people.

Is it ok then for them to use it? Where they are from it is socially acceptable to use the term, the majority of the people would say the word is nuetral and no malice is intended.

Judging from the logic on here, many seem to think that this use of the word is OK.

But here's the kicker; would they have used the term in earshot of a black person??

No, I didn't think so

It's too simplistic to call it just a neutral or just a negative word.

I agree though that g--k is ALWAYS a slur.

So it's Jingthing against the world? Pleases link one definition that supports your view.

If you call a black guy a N%$#@r, do you think he cares what you think the word means?

If you call me farang, it's what I think that counts. And I don't like it, and I don't like anyone that uses it.

If given the chance, I will try to do harm to any person who calls me farang. Maybe not right away.

I'm not the only ones who feels this way, so why deliberately go out of your way to antagonize others?

Thought you had more sense than that........rolleyes.gif

Thought you had more sense than that........rolleyes.gif

Clearly, he doesn't.

But here's the kicker; would they have used the term in earshot of a black person??

No, I didn't think so

I agree, they wouldn't, but according to some people's logic on this thread,they have every right to use the term in front of black people, just as Thais use the word "farang."

• Like 1

So it's Jingthing against the world? Pleases link one definition that supports your view.

Your demand for a black or white answer on a clearly grey area / contextual matter is simply intellectually immature.

http://www.ajarn.com/blogs/matt-smith/the-word-farang/

• Like 1

No, I didn't think so

I agree, they wouldn't, but according to some people's logic on this thread,they have every right to use the term in front of black people, just as Thais use the word "farang."

People have a right to do or say whatever they want but if they cross a line, they should be prepared for the consequences.

100% of people - Caucasian, Asian. Latino yadda-yadda - categorically know that "n*****" is offensive to blacks; Jesus, even the Thais know that.

Most people don't use it and if they do, they never do so within earshot of a black person.

"Farang" simply doesn't compare because

1. Most people have never heard it

2. Most white people - even those who live here - don't give two shits

3. It's not used as part of a concerted effort to repress those it's typically used to describe

Not quite; a racial term is a racial term; make up a new one and use it to refer to Thais; they wont like it I assure you

I dont like it when people are hypocrites; thats my point

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your demand for a black or white answer on a clearly grey area / contextual matter is simply intellectually immature.

Your answer to my request for a definition of a word (time honored English tradition that has been accepted since the beginning of the language) as immature is beyond belief. Do you also think Webster was immature? Or that the Oxford dictionary is immature? What do you provide us? An opinion of a man who describes himself as, Melbourne-based ..... Muppet of a man.

For shame.

But plenty of white Thai apologists calling other white guys, and themselves, farangs.

It's really weird. Like naughty schoolboys learning a new swear word, they have to use it all the time.

Come down to Bkk and hear the terms used by Thais for other Thais, not exactly complimentary, then we can move onto the terms for Lao, Cambodian, and Burmese used by most Thais,just for starters.

An apologist of what, I didnt write the language, all I do is use it, FARANG doesnt offend me in the least.

Personally I love living here in the "land of the free", none of your western PC BS washed up on these shores yet no matter how hard the PC brigade try to import their own phobias and inadequancies to these shores.

Try Kalifornia in the in the good ole USSA if Thailand offends.

• Like 1

Come down to Bkk and hear the terms used by Thais for other Thais, not exactly complimentary

I'm calling BS. I just asked the Thais in my household, then called a couple other more worldly ones, and NOT ONE had ever heard this word.

Maybe "your Thais" are well-educated English speakers? In which case your point has nothing to do with Thai culture, they've picked that up from watching Full Metal Jacket and Good Morning Vietnam.

then we can move onto the terms for Lao, Cambodian, and Burmese used by most Thais,just for starters.

I don't think anyone's trying to claim that Thais aren't horribly racist. However that has nothing to do with the linguistic discussion at hand wrt the word "farang".

Not quite; a racial term is a racial term; make up a new one and use it to refer to Thais; they wont like it I assure you

I dont like it when people are hypocrites; thats my point

We don't have to "make up a new one". We use the word "Thai" in English (not "kon Thai") to refer to Thais. Yes this is a racial term (to the extent people think Thais are a race, which of course Thais do). However - I sure hope you agree with this - the word "Thai" in English is a COMPLETELY NEUTRAL term, and is very very rarely used in a derogatory manner.

Now some NES think that Thailand is about nothing but the sex industry and kateuy, so it is POSSIBLE that they'd use the word "Thai" as a pejorative term. However you'd be able to tell from context, tone and body language that it was meant this way. Even if you lived within some subculture where such usage was relatively frequent, that would NOT make the term "Thai" itself into a derogatory word from a linguistic POV.

That is EXACTLY the situation with the word farang as used in the Thai language.

Edited by wym
  • Like 1

The fundamental mistake Matt makes in this article - which otherwise supports my stance on the matter - is in claiming there is any significance in the fact that many farang don't like being referred to as farang.

Since the offense comes from linguistic differences (our culture prefers to use people's names once they're known rather than objective descriptors or relationship terms), plus the fact that the white man surrounded by brown people seems to expect some automatic level of respect and deference to their wishes - in other words their feelings about the word is caused by their MISTAKES.

I submit that a feeling of offense based on false premises is quite rightly ignored.

As an individual, if you want to start telling the Thais around you that you don't want them to use that word in your presence, feel free! Apparently some posters here have started to do that. Maybe one day ("I have a dream" MLK's birthday this week ) you guys will have an impact on Thai language and culture.

In the meantime those of us who are more rational and open-minded can just relax realizing that by default 99.99999% of the time, no offense is intended, and that's what really counts.

No, what you think doesn't count for <deleted>, and the fact that you think it does, just shows further that you don't have a clue how the world works.

If a dwarf with a Napoleon complex gets offended by someone saying "gee you're short", does that mean the word "short" is offensive and he'd be justified in campaigning for it to be replaced by "vertically challenged"? Really?

Really let's try NOT to import the most idiotic features of western culture here. . .

No, just like "mia noi" and "kreng jai" and "pad Thai", we use words from Thai because they have an accuracy of meaning and connotation that just don't translate easily. It is very strange for NES to hear "white people" or "caucasian" all the time as a classifier, so using farang is completely natural, makes the point that IN THAILAND it isn't strange at all for us to be categorized in that way.

The fundamental problem here is foreigners trying to impose their value system on the local language/culture.

Let it be what it is and you'll enjoy your time here much more.

Perhaps some people just enjoy being in a mental state of conflict all the time?

Edited by wym

No, what you think doesn't count for <deleted>, and the fact that you think it does, just shows further that you don't have a clue how the world works.

It actually depends what level of personal risk you are prepared to take.

And what level of retribution I am prepared to give in return for the insult you issue (real or imagined).

You call a black man the "n" word and you know the likely outcome.

Thais are generally very polite to each other for very good reasons.

No rule of law in this country, a good chance of getting away with anything.

PS

How the world works, it mainly works on violence and the threat of violence.

Why do people generally obey the police ..... because they are scared of what the police will do to them.

Why do people pay taxes .... because they are scared what their government will do to them.

The world works because of fear. The fear instilled by threat of violence.

Edited by FiftyTwo