Large area of land purchased in Phetchabun for "Central" Mall

CharlieH

According to sources a large area has now been purchased on the 21 in Phetchabun city by Central for a new mall.

Between the Shell station and Restaurant, this will be the entrance to a larger area of some 400 rai purchased.

post-109645-0-22465100-1390292008_thumb.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Well I hope them sources are correct,that would just about make things up here perfect for me and my young family.

Dont know the start date etc but you are right it would be a kind of "icing on the cake" up here. Cant believe how much its developed in the last 8 years, All we need next is Nok Air or Air Asia to re open the Airport so we dont have to rely on buses and we would be all set.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I've seen nothing as of yet to indicate this is being built,but I'm still hoping it does go ahead.

I'm bored of driving to Phitsanulok for Heinz salad cream,pork sausages and mega expensive fish fingers.

The chicken balti pukka pies just about make up for it though.

• Like 2

I've seen nothing as of yet to indicate this is being built,but I'm still hoping it does go ahead.

I'm bored of driving to Phitsanulok for Heinz salad cream,pork sausages and mega expensive fish fingers.

i'm driving up from Phuket to Lom Sak next week, let me know if you need any emergency supplies from Villa Market

i'm driving up from Phuket to Lom Sak next week, let me know if you need any emergency supplies from Villa Market

Thanks for the offer but I'm offshore for the next three weeks.

Will stop on my way back from Bangkok this time around.

• 1 month later...

OK, bamboo rumour mill again. Charlie H, the op. Your sources might be right. I have just been told from locals that central (sentan) are now clearing land.

I hope they incorporate a Tops supermarket!

Where ?

And I hope they build it quicker than the new Global House that's taken forever.

A main structure is now erect, guessing four floors nowhere near complete, the Baan konsur restaurant that was next to it has now been demolished and thats the planned access road in now.

Huge project by the look of it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I cant see it being a Central the one in Phitsanalok is now almost dead customer wise.

Topps has little or nothing western. Why they would build one there would be a complete and utter loss.

Would like to know what it will turn out to be though.

I cant see it being a Central the one in Phitsanalok is now almost dead customer wise.

Topps has little or nothing western. Why they would build one there would be a complete and utter loss.

I think it would do ok on weekends and holidays ( based on numbers over the New Year ) but yes, the weekdays may be quiet.

I think it would do ok on weekends and holidays ( based on numbers over the New Year ) but yes, the weekdays may be quiet.
I put the post in because I went to Central plaza Phitso just before Christmas on a Saturday, and it was empty and I mean empty.

Topps looked great we 3 made up a grand total of about 8 peeps in there 1 till open with the young lady serving half asleep.

Then went into Robinsons and we were the only peeps in there. Never saw more that a couple of folks in the Big Mike joint.

Oh arrived at just before 12pm left about 3pm.

An absolute dead loss if your trying to earn monies, what the week days are like I don't know but if I was running a business I would be thinking of jumping out of a top window.

The same could be said for Home Pro, Index, and others. And it's not as if they didn't know it would be quiet when they built them as there are few checkout lanes and even then the attendants are mostly bored with no customers to ring up. Makro has a lot of checkout lanes but only has about 10% of them open on any given day and the rest are just a waste of space. Hasn't stopped them from building now 3 giant hardware stores in Phetchabun that are mostly empty of customers. I absolutely love it. Gigantic stores with a huge selection, excellent parking slots always available, not flooded with people getting in my way, and no wait to check out.

The same could be said for Home Pro, Index, and others. And it's not as if they didn't know it would be quiet when they built them as there are few checkout lanes and even then the attendants are mostly bored with no customers to ring up. Makro has a lot of checkout lanes but only has about 10% of them open on any given day and the rest are just a waste of space. Hasn't stopped them from building now 3 giant hardware stores in Phetchabun that are mostly empty of customers. I absolutely love it. Gigantic stores with a huge selection, excellent parking slots always available, not flooded with people getting in my way, and no wait to check out.

Central is a concession establishment, people pay high rent to have a place there. If they cant make it pay in Phitso they will go skint in less than a week in Phetchabun.

Where are they going to get the people to rent a place.

As you have said several big stores are always empty there, but they are mostly singularly owned so can afford to have a few places throughout Thailand that don't earn monies.

Go look at the empty central plaza Phitso and ask yourself would you rent a similar place in a town that has only a fraction of the people that that has. May I suggest only if you are off your head.

Central is a concession establishment, people pay high rent to have a place there. If they cant make it pay in Phitso they will go skint in less than a week in Phetchabun.

But it is working in Phitsanulok. I haven't noticed a single business close. It's full to the brim with shops and restaurants top to bottom. Must be 100 mostly empty restaurants to choose from and yet they're all still there. Central is so comfortable with the customer level that they are expanding to Phetchabun which I would think will have even fewer customers due to the lower population. That speaks volumes. Of course it's likely to be a smaller mall as well just like we get a smaller Home Pro, Big C, and so on.

Are you saying the place will be empty of businesses at opening day? Come on, that's laughable. So just relax, all of your doom and gloom predictions should be dispelled on opening day when it's brimming with businesses and we can buy all kinds of things locally that weren't possible before.

As you have said several big stores are always empty there, but they are mostly singularly owned so can afford to have a few places throughout Thailand that don't earn monies.

Disagree. They know exactly how few customers they will get--that's why they only installed a few checkout lanes. There's also just a small stack of about 10 shopping baskets for the whole store in some of these places! And the staff is immense--in every aisle, entrance, and exit there are clerks around. Way more workers than customers! And yet they haven't cut back. And they have plenty of experience knowing full well how well their stores do all over Thailand. From all indications the consumer demand is exactly as they predicted and they are going full speed ahead to more areas because it works.

Go look at the empty central plaza Phitso and ask yourself would you rent a similar place in a town that has only a fraction of the people that that has.

They bought space. They're still there. They like it more. Seems pretty obvious. Why don't you ask the hundreds of businesses in Central why they are there instead of road side?

And I am glad it is working for them. It's a wonderful shopping experience for those who like the cleanliness, comforts of AC, escalators, don't like crowds, and don't like wasting time finding parking on narrow city streets, and can do one stop shopping. I love it, even the (empty) McDonalds where I can feel annoyed if there is just one person in the queue in front of me!

Edited by canopy
  • Like 2

It would be unreasonable to directly compare operation of; the Central Mall at Ayutthaya with that of Bang-Na, but more similarities would be shared with that of Phitsonulok.

Central's Business Model works. It is flexible enough to encompass localised variances. Demographics of the community being one of them.

They bring benefits to local communities, wherever they build. Some of those benefits also favor expats within those communities. Albeit, to a lesser degree. Even so, that can't be considered as a bad thing.

To berate a company because one of their concessions didn't stock an esoterically preferred brand of beans, when one deigned to visit is just plain irrational. The overall benefits which that company brings to the table are what should be considered and it looks like the folks of Phetchabun are soon to get their share.

The negativity is more related to the fact that there's no Central Mall in Kamphaeng Phet.

Jerry

• Like 1

Its the time one goes to any Central,sometimes its packed,so i go Saturday when for some reason, never no why,or much care when its quiet. Can wander round Robinsons and Tops in comfort.Never buy much,just browse,find Lazada to easy so Robinsons loose out.Tops isnt any good in Phits,exept for the odd treat like Cheesecake and nice Paris Ham whatever that is.!!. .Bung i moved from Phitts 14 Years ago or more to Krabi, easy to get Euro/U.S. food now.

But it is working in Phitsanulok. I haven't noticed a single business close. It's full to the brim with shops and restaurants top to bottom. Must be 100 mostly empty restaurants to choose from and yet they're all still there. Central is so comfortable with the customer level that they are expanding to Phetchabun which I would think will have even fewer customers due to the lower population. That speaks volumes. Of course it's likely to be a smaller mall as well just like we get a smaller Home Pro, Big C, and so on.
Are you saying the place will be empty of businesses at opening day? Come on, that's laughable. So just relax, all of your doom and gloom predictions should be dispelled on opening day when it's brimming with businesses and we can buy all kinds of things locally that weren't possible before.
Disagree. They know exactly how few customers they will get--that's why they only installed a few checkout lanes. There's also just a small stack of about 10 shopping baskets for the whole store in some of these places! And the staff is immense--in every aisle, entrance, and exit there are clerks around. Way more workers than customers! And yet they haven't cut back. And they have plenty of experience knowing full well how well their stores do all over Thailand. From all indications the consumer demand is exactly as they predicted and they are going full speed ahead to more areas because it works.
Go look at the empty central plaza Phitso and ask yourself would you rent a similar place in a town that has only a fraction of the people that that has.
They bought space. They're still there. They like it more. Seems pretty obvious. Why don't you ask the hundreds of businesses in Central why they are there instead of road side?
And I am glad it is working for them. It's a wonderful shopping experience for those who like the cleanliness, comforts of AC, escalators, don't like crowds, and don't like wasting time finding parking on narrow city streets, and can do one stop shopping. I love it, even the (empty) McDonalds where I can feel annoyed if there is just one person in the queue in front of me!

Those are the comments of an idiot. Central is a credit to Phits.Mardy spoilt brat sort of comments imo.

• Like 1

I have it on good authority that the Thai Army are building an indoor driving range.

If that's the case, it would be a good idea to allow civilian access to facilitate teaching road-craft. At the moment most just pointlessly aim their vehicles.

Jerry

oops, sorry buddy, I meant golf driving range, as the building in question is not far from the Thai Army barracks and golf course. Concur about the driving ability, or lack of.

I have it on good authority that the Thai Army are building an indoor driving range.

If that's the case, it would be a good idea to allow civilian access to facilitate teaching road-craft. At the moment most just pointlessly aim their vehicles.

Jerry

oops, sorry buddy, I meant golf driving range, as the building in question is not far from the Thai Army barracks and golf course. Concur about the driving ability, or lack of.

Yeah, I understood what you meant.

Just my attempt at humor after only one shot of caffeine.

Jerry

• Like 1