Where did you meet your Thai gf or wife?

eldragon

When I first moved to TH, I had no problem meeting girls. It seemed like I was going out with a new one every week. I didn’t really care what kind of girl it was. As long as she was cute and fun to be around- or able to show me something about Thailand I’d never seen before- I was happy. I was a couple years younger then too. I didn’t mind hanging out with young ones.

Now I'm in the back half of my thirties. I've been here a few years. Things don't feel new and exciting anymore. I’m starting to feel a little too old for girls in their twenties. I can’t keep up with party girls either. I find the highly educated types to be over-confident and bossy. “Internet girls” have always seemed a bit off. And, while I feel bar girls tend to have a more western attitude, I’d probably never get serious with one (no offense to anyone that has).

In short, I’m feeling very limited in the kind of girl I "can" date here. The thing I keep coming back to is it seems like most of the modest, down-to-Earth Thai girls (i.e., the equivalent of the kind of girl I’d date back home) are too shy or ashamed to be seen with foreigners. The popular theory seems to be they’re afraid their friends will think they’re a prostitute or a slut. I'm also keen to the idea that it's become a step down the social ladder for a Thai girl to date a foreigner.

With that in mind, I’m curious where people have met their Thai gf or wife. Or if you have any advice about how to meet girls here. I'd also appreciate hearing any experience people have had navigating the "perception" issue Thai girls seem to face.

• Like 2

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to hear about every "gf or wife" we're going to be here for a long time and in fact I've forgotten most of them, tracking numbers but haven't kept a journal on the details for every one. Used to do that for the first few years, but once it got into the hundreds didn't bother anymore.

But to generalize, I'd say the vast majority are just out in public walking around, in the street, in the shops, wandering out in the countryside.

Maybe 20% have been introductions by other Thais, references from headmen and teachers, like that.

Maybe 10% at weddings, found that to be a very productive context. . .

Those of you complaining that the topic has been asked before (posts removed), there is no requirement that you read it again. We have over six million other posts you can look at.

People who just joined have as much right to have their questions answered as the ones who signed up a decade or more ago did.

And a fair comment also.

I understand why we old timers complain ... but also, it's up to us to provide topics for discussion, the subject of which can only come from the years that you have spent in the Kingdom.

That said ... I do tire of the 'Farang' question a bit ... rolleyes.gif

For the Record ... I met MissFarmGirl at the Airport.

• Like 1

London, UK. She brought me here, a reverse from the norm you might say

Brought up in a very protective environment but had a fierce independent streak so perception wise she couldn't care less what people thought. Her type was educated westerner, not thai, she made that clear with her family and friends very early. Far as I know nobody objected, and quite a few were of a similar mindset, that's who she hung around with. To assert independence, she travelled the world and learned to speak English and French well

Oddly enough when our daughter grows up she will be strict with her even more than her mother was. Because she knew all the ruses in escaping the family prison herself, so she will be on to her like a flash and won't let her go anywhere on her own ;)

Poacher turned gamekeeper and all seemingly. But then her mum was the same, eloped with her dad due to family disapproval with no dowry. But conformity was expected with the child. Do as I say, not as I do

Edited by RichBKK

We met through thai friends, were friends for quite some time, she had a man, I had a woman and other then as friends the thought of being with her never really entered my mind despite her being hot.

Her man was caught cheating and she was single for a long time, mine was then caught cheating on me, slowly our friendship became something else.

Pretty cool because we never had that honey moon period so there were no surprises, still best friends but deeply in love now.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

One was a coworker

Another I met through a coworker

Now I am with a girl I met off ThaiFriendly. I got bored one night and made an account and met about 6-7 girls and talked to about 50-60. All the girls I chose to meet were sane and I remain friends with some of them.

The girl I met, we had no plans for romance actually, we both found ourselves alone online on a Friday because friends changed plans.

At the very least that website let me meet some new people and my reading and writing ability in Thai has increased dramatically.

Met on line. After talking for about a year we met in person. That was 7 years ago. She is only about 4 years younger than me with equivalent education, in fact she has a masters degree whereas I only have a BS. We share many of the same outlooks towards life. We were best friends first before deciding we wanted to grow old together. She may not be the prettiest, smartest, nor wealthiest, but it's total that is more important than the sum of the parts.

• Like 1

In bed, in my hotel room, after a drunken night out.

"Hi, what's your name, and how did you get in bed, naked with me?"

She was clearly a white skinned, Chinese looking, educated, hi-so lady from a good family, so I asked her to stay.

Yes Amigo, but you forgot to mention those high ranked officer of army in her family biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 1

If you want to hear about every "gf or wife" we're going to be here for a long time and in fact I've forgotten most of them, tracking numbers but haven't kept a journal on the details for every one. Used to do that for the first few years, but once it got into the hundreds didn't bother anymore.

But to generalize, I'd say the vast majority are just out in public walking around, in the street, in the shops, wandering out in the countryside.

Maybe 20% have been introductions by other Thais, references from headmen and teachers, like that.

Maybe 10% at weddings, found that to be a very productive context. . .

Havnt read all the posts yet, wondering how many will be honest about where they met their woman!! Maby they are just going to substitute shop,bank,mall etc etc etc. for bar.

Please tell us more about your Herculean libido, matchless virility, and needless details about what appears to be your mental illness and your exploitation of Thai women.

Oh wait, you do that on almost every post you make. Carry on.

Singapore, all my mates were with Thai partners when I was working there, one of the partners decided I would be suitable for her friend and set it up

All I can say four years later is damn shame it didn't happen sooner in our lives (I am 61, she is 48)

• Like 2