Thailand imposes state of emergency to deal with protests

Lite Beer

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This move by the current government to apply the state of government decree is a clear indication that they have no idea how to handle the demonstrators and have no options or solutions. This whole thing could had been over if at least the PM would had stepped down as she had stated more than once for the good of the country, but instead she is now running against for the same position knowingly that one of he main reasons the current blockage and siege being applied to this country is because of her, so why run again? This will only prolong the problems and clearly is not the smart way to resolve the current and future issues. I just hope that his country finds a clear path so that this country doesn't find itself going through the same predicament time and time again every time a new PM is elected.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I'm torn on this one. I've never figured out how a group can simply move into the busiest intersections of a capital city without any resistance from the police, army, etc. Yet, since they moved in, it's been quieter and traffic at Asok has never been better.

That's because the police are not snarling up the traffic with impromptu traffic light dances and dodgy tickets.

Or maybe because all the protesters are car-owners who bought their cars through the promotional car buying scheme (brought about by the floods and the risk of the Japanese moving their manufacturing car plants out of Thailand – a scheme brought in by Yingluck’s party) have left their cars at home to go and sleep in tents, blow whistles, and do some shopping for the last few weeks. Just a thought.

I have been to a couple of protest sites, and I guesstimate that 10% of the people at the nightly rallies actually stay overnight at the camps. The other 90% live in BKK and go home to sleep.

Of the campers, >90% are from the provinces (from the signs like PDRC Surat etc).

Sure – but the locals leave their cars at home because the main roads are blocked. Which in my mind is progression?

• Like 1

The kleptocracy's last desperate move. The protests were not peaceful? The government's problem is that the protests are succeeding. Despicable...

How can protest be peaceful if they have occupied government offices ? How can protests be considered peaceful if they have led to the denial of basic democratic rights (such as running for office). How can protest be considered peaceful if their sole purpose is to dispose of democracy by some idiotic council ?

You must be blind or are willingly posting propaganda bullshit. These protest aren't peaceful, end of story.

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

I have been to a couple of protest sites, and I guesstimate that 10% of the people at the nightly rallies actually stay overnight at the camps. The other 90% live in BKK and go home to sleep.

Of the campers, >90% are from the provinces (from the signs like PDRC Surat etc).

Sure – but the locals leave their cars at home because the main roads are blocked. Which in my mind is progression?

Have to hand it to Suthep, what Thaksin couldn't do in six months he managed in six weeks, fixing the traffic problems in the city. :D

• Like 1

The Royal Thai Army has the biggest opportunity ever to advance the cause of Thailand by bringing these protests to an end without a coup. Thai people have to learn that democracy means accepting the results of an election no matter how much you may dislike the person(s) elected. Have elections and vote! Let the will of the majority be shown for all to see.

This is the essence of it. It's the only way it works. The opposition say "yes but the levels of corruption / incompetence are unprecendented, this government MUST be stopped before the end of it's term!"......i think thats probably whats been said prior to the last however many times it is now.

Maybe the military want to give the democratic process every chance this time.....REGARDLESS of how sh@te the government is. Reforms before delayed election yes.......unelected peoples council?......big step back.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It looks like a move to force the military on the streets to stop the protesters from blocking roads and unlawful entry to government facilities or to force a coup.

And also a precursor to see what side the military are really on. It will also put the Army to the test from within as most of its conscripts come from the north and north east, will they obey orders when it comes to the crunch. Dangerous times indeed. The international community, namely America will be watching this one closely. They stand to lose countless millions of dollars if a coup is successful from oil and gas. Not good for anyone is an under statement.....

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good timing. Suthep has run out of moves.

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

I would LOVE to respect your vote.... 11 Million People voted for the Democrats last time. 13 Million for the TRT. Why is it that the difference in Parliament is not 13% ???! Because the Shin clan “Seng Sae Ku” (เส็ง แซ่คู) of Chinese descend changed the constituencies before the elections. Hence if you would respect MY VOTE the difference in seats in parliament would only be 23 seats. A great base to start another Government, wouldn't you say?

This must be the 10th time you've repeated the same thing about changed constituencies, despite the fact I've challenged you every time I've seen it. You've not replied to any of my posts and go on repeating it tirelessly. Why? Did you even read the replies? And if you're not going to bother reading replies, why bother posting in the first place...

Also pointing out that the Shinawatras are Sino-Thai reminds me of those who continually feel the need to point out his enemies are also Sino-Thai. Why is it relevant?

80% Of Bangkok's population are Sino-Thai, I also fail to see the relevancy of this post.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess someone lost something in the translation, but new information out

RT @PravitR: Correction: It's not clear at this stage if #PDRC has intention 2 disrupt civilian air traffic. My apology 4 jumping 2 conclusion. #ป

There are contingencies in place if they try to do that....but if they do try, he will lose the scintilla of respect he still enjoys...forever. Thais would never forgive him

It will be one of Suthep's last desperate acts to try to shut down the air transportation organization and its systems.

If Suthep were winning he'd be in Government House now sipping a Red Bull and sucking up the a/c. He'd be off to a press conference to announce members of his fascist council. Yingluck would be winging her way to Dubai. However, none of these things are happening.

Instead, the more Suthep slides away from his sinister purpose, the more desperate and high profile he and his nefarious actions become.

Suthep seizing Swampy is so yesteryear, so out of fashion that Suthep has had to braintwist a different approach, which would be to commit an even greater and far more dangerous outrage, i.e., target AeroThai. Suthep anyway just doesn't have the numbers it takes to fill up the airport - and there are several companies of police and army stationed 24/7 at the airport to prevent another seizure, which they will do.

Suthep pledged he wouldn't seize Swampy and Suthep can't afford the opprobrium that would come down on him if he did.

So instead of Red Bull Thailand is getting raging bull.

Or just bull.

Well SOE has been declared and understandable in the circumstances. The gov is doing the right thing here and regardless of what some will say they have to do something in light of the recent killings.

Im sure no one here wants things to erupt further, the reds have been getting increasingly frustrated, this should keep them away, the protests have got to the point of stagnation, there is an election in 2 weeks and the world is abandoning the place country by country.

Enough Thailand needs a sense of normality and some form of stability right now not more chaos.

Suthep needs to accept he is grossly damaging the country no less than T did before him. Clear the streets clear the protest areas and go home before any other Thai gets hurt or worse.

Let the world see that this country is not a failed state and that there is respect for the gov in terms of whats best to ensure no more deaths no matter who is in and start the healing process.

Hate gets people nowhere only calm heads around a table will fix this.

Stay out of the protest areas, keep an eye on the news and stay safe.

To all those who wish to see an end to the proxy run PTP it will come but it must come via democratic means and their own incompetence and corruption not by inflaming more violence.

It is clearly Taksin and his acolytes who are the ones 'inflaming with violence'. 'and regardless of what some will say' as long as things are allowed to go on as they have the last 2 1/2 years Thailand is a failed state. The criminals need ousting post haste and replacing with anyone who might actually try and do the job properly...Reform is badly needed and the 2nd Feb election is a futile waste of time which solves absolutely nothing and just adds to the problems...

• Like 1

The goverment has handled these "protesters" (terrorists would be a more accurate description) extremely well so far.

If you and whoever feels to qualify any protesters as terrorists are right, then we are not only living in a global Ponzi scheme but the dark forces who run the scheme start running the Global minds as well.

Popular but meaningless comment.

• Like 2

"sigh" get over your obsession and blame for the moment the country needs to return to some form of stability first and reduce the violence of recent days.

The election will and must go ahead, the opposition gave up its right to complain the moment it boycottted the elections, what matters most is the safety of the people and if the protesters cared about this country they would go home and enter into talks like any credible movement would do.

• Like 1

Your description of the protesters as "terrorists" shows your ignorance of the situation and, also, of the English language.

what a joke this govt is, they cannot handle the fact they are on their last legs and after declaring that they will not invoke this unless their is more violence they do it. This once again shows how pathetic the ptp are, they have no idea what to do and are reaching for straws. Lets see how long yl and the capo people can keep their hands clean from the blood, they are now responsible for any deaths.

if they are on their last legs ,why do the protestors not let the country vote?

Are you seriously that retarded in thought that you don't know the voting in Thailand is completely bought off and rigged?

The mere 'act' of votiing is not necessarily democracy. And when the fix is in, it becomes a farce. Apparently you support a nation having a farcical election and then taking pot-shots from the sidelines saying 'respect my vote'. Asshat!

I guess someone lost something in the translation, but new information out

RT @PravitR: Correction: It's not clear at this stage if #PDRC has intention 2 disrupt civilian air traffic. My apology 4 jumping 2 conclusion. #ป

There are contingencies in place if they try to do that....but if they do try, he will lose the scintilla of respect he still enjoys...forever. Thais would never forgive him

Hey Mr Prbkk what happened to your answer??

I know that it was kind of difficult to answer as you dug yourself into a bit of a hole with that silly remark of yours!!

Answer? Not sure which question but I still believe there will be much movement and negotiating of positions over the next 2 weeks. I don't see gloom here....this cannot be a win /lose....I believe some positives will come and that some "good people" are going to come into the picture very soon(in a positive way)!to work with YL

When are you going to get it? Yingluck works for the Family,and nothing positive for the people in that!

This is going to end well - My prediction

We will see on the streets of Thailand the Royal Thai Army coming between the police and the protestors effectively ending the current conflict - I have not read through any of the posts on this thread but what I see from the OP is dire

stupid desperate people do what they do because they have no other options

The RTA will step in now because they have no choice, their hand has been forced by a corrupt spent administration who have shown all of Thailand how it shouldn't be done

PTP are finished

what a joke this govt is, they cannot handle the fact they are on their last legs and after declaring that they will not invoke this unless their is more violence they do it. This once again shows how pathetic the ptp are, they have no idea what to do and are reaching for straws. Lets see how long yl and the capo people can keep their hands clean from the blood, they are now responsible for any deaths.

if they are on their last legs ,why do the protestors not let the country vote?

Do you really think it is that simple? They are looking for reform....before a vote.

My prediction is that the decree will be ineffective. I think morale is low with most government workers. The only ones that are getting all bent out of shape are Thaksin cronies. Charlem can scream all he wants, no one cares. The entire government is a sham and made it worst by serving their own self interest for the past 2 years. No one can defend the action of this government, so don't bother defending the rush to a snap election. It's not going to happen. Because the snap election is another self serving initiative by these democracy destroying bunch.

Election will happen, but it simply can not be rushed like this. The former government is already unstable the way it's going, so the country is not loosing anything. And soon the caretakers will be out of a job and in jail. But I also think that the emergency decree maybe used to postpone the election anyway. No one will recognize the legitimacy of the election while the country is on lock down.

Edited by aimbc
  • Like 1

Yes, they have the power. That was made explicit in the discussion of the duties/responsibilities at the time the house was dissolved

If they knew all about their responsibilities before the house was dissolved then why didn't they make provision for the rice farmers to be paid ?

• Like 1

At last someone has the nerve to stand up to these thugs it would never happen in the western world you cannot have people just causing mayhem . Khun Suthep has had every opportunity to have dialogue with those he has a grudge with but has declined every invitation he Suthep wants to install an unelected peoples council who would be made up of the elite of Thailand that is not democracy far from it. With a bit of luck Bangkok people can get back to a more normal life if you opposes government then you do it by the ballot box the main opposition decided not to register for the coming elections that to me was a very bad move I hope that those who have camped up in bkk will now go home and allow those who want to live in peace get on with there lives the police should arrest all the leaders involved in this mayhem and lock them up until after the elections I am not a supporter of either party but the man in Dubai gave the poor of Thailand the right to vote something Suthep and his rogues would never have done.

Invoking the emergency decree is just posturing and no one has actually stood up and done anything yet. If you recall the occupy movement in the USA you would know that protests do occur in the western world. This whole protest is designed to force Yingluck out and so negotiating with someone you claim has no legitimacy is counter productive. The problem in Thailand is that the ballot box is bought and paid for, so any election isn't really fair. In this case it is essentially a one party election. The elections are manipulated and things aren't as simple as you would like to believe they are. The fact is that a vote on Feb 2 would result in a government that would be unable to take office because not enough seats would be filled in parliment under the Thai constitution. Poor people in Thailand had the right to vote long before Thaksin arrived, maybe they weren't focused on one party but I'm pretty sure they have had the right to vote for many decades. If the vote is held as scheduled there will be no winner. Yingluck will be forced from office for the rice scheme, the MPs who supported the changes to the senate may be banned from politics. Once the PTs election is nullified the Reds will take to the streets to protest and what is happening now will seem like a picnic. Let's see how peaceful Bangkok is once Reds start burning buildings again.

Yes, they have the power. That was made explicit in the discussion of the duties/responsibilities at the time the house was dissolved

If they knew all about their responsibilities before the house was dissolved then why didn't they make provision for the rice farmers to be paid ?

It was a huge blunder to stiff the farmers, but paying them off during an election would make for an interesting legal challenge. The fact is that the election if it does go ahead is doomed to failure. If less than 95 percent of seats are filled a government can't be formed. The EC knows that this is the likely outcome, so on Feb 3 who would be in charge? Does YS remain caretaker after a botched election?

In the west you are allowed by freedom of speech to stand on a soap box and give your opinions

Please tell us all when and were you will be doing this

I will be there to listen to you