Only NBTC can suspend TV channels, regulator says: state of emergency

webfact

STATE OF EMERGENCY
Only NBTC can suspend TV channels, regulator says

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The power to suspend television channels belongs to the broadcasting regulators, a commissioner said Wednesday.

If the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) wants to suspend any media operation. especially authorised television channels, the decision must be taken and the order given by the National Broadcast and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC.

NBTC Commissioner Supinya Klangnarong wrote on her Facebook page that the Democrat-affiliated BlueSky channel, which broadcasts the anti-government protest activities, has just renewed its license for two years.

The Emergency Decree invoked today will not overrule NBTC’s authorities to regulate licensed broadcasters, she said. Your [operator] license now is your defence for press freedom. However, a license comes with responsibility to all citizens. Let’s work together to uphold press freedom and the code of ethics," Supinya wrote.

The government has enforced the state of emergency in the capital and outskirts to deal with the protests that was led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban. The invocation of the decree sparked fears that it will exploit the legislation to suspend the BlueSky Channel in order to stop the ongoing anti-government protests.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-22

" Commisioner Supinya wrote on her Facebook page"

For starters what about closing down Facebook?coffee1.gif

Since everyone has become a "journalist", the "news" has become even more biased and incorrect!

And sadly many accepts the Facebook nonsense as the holy truth!

• Like 1

whistling.gif We will have to see what happens.

I personally believe that under the cover of the "emergency" decree the government will soon bring back Thaksin in order to "restore peace and promote reconciliation".

The emergency decree will be used to return Thaksin to restore order, and ultimately the government will install him as prime Minister by the "will of the people".

No messy and costly elections required there, only Red Shirt style "democracy".

So little miss fluff-head sister can then go back to her shopping trips and buying more fake Guicci handbags I guess.

• Like 1

I think it is obvious that the government (Charlerm) has already attempted to take them off the air and been refused by the NBTC because they have not broken any laws by transmitting news

It's a State of Emergency. Breaking laws are irrelevant.

"If the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) wants to suspend any media operation. especially authorised television channels, the decision must be taken and the order given by the National Broadcast and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC."

Good to see that the sanctity of the media is taken seriously in this country. Now if only there had been a NBTC in 2010 whistling.gif

Thailand's beleaguered government shut down a satellite television station and the web sites of anti-government demonstrators today after declaring a state of emergency, then issued arrest warrants for protest leaders accused of storming parliament. .......................................... ...................(Irony Alert) "What the government wants is peace and happiness," Abhisit said on television, explaining that the government had clamped down on opposition media that were "manipulating information that is creating hate". http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/08/thailand-bangkok-protests

"If the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) wants to suspend any media operation. especially authorised television channels, the decision must be taken and the order given by the National Broadcast and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC."

Good to see that the sanctity of the media is taken seriously in this country. Now if only there had been a NBTC in 2010 whistling.gif

Thailand's beleaguered government shut down a satellite television station and the web sites of anti-government demonstrators today after declaring a state of emergency, then issued arrest warrants for protest leaders accused of storming parliament. .......................................... ...................(Irony Alert) "What the government wants is peace and happiness," Abhisit said on television, explaining that the government had clamped down on opposition media that were "manipulating information that is creating hate". http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/08/thailand-bangkok-protests

It's good that the Abhisit government brought in these changes.

Although, I would like to see confirmation from CMPO that what she has said is true.

• Like 1

Although, I would like to see confirmation from CMPO that what she has said is true.

Its just another airhead demostrating and posturing.

What this screams again from the roof tops is that all the regulatory panels and courts are stacked With Sutheps and his backers lackeys.

Yingluck has outed the EC as have the foreign press today in NY times. The medical profession disgraced themselves with the sexist rants and the flying of the Red Cross. Showed ignorance, partisanship, connivance. The EC also came out with the Sexist slurs and inuendo... So in the eyes of the world, Yingluk and Democracy are under seige the elites and their mobs. Media here print and report what they are told so we don't need to comment much,

An Elite, Sexist, Corrupt gathering with a sadly deluded mob marching for them are not what Governments of the world will support. Unless you are only interested in Trade agreements with North Korea.

Nice of her to come out to defend bluesky though. Explains her extreme ignorance and her facebook page demonstrates her lack of professionalism.

We need Bluesky TV broadcasting or how else would we be able to see what lunatics class as news. For me, I wouldn't close it.

Probably the Government giving Sutheps men lots to think about and to respond to. Maybe having to respond to all this will bring on a heart attack or breakdown. They are certainly keeping old Suthep on his toes and everynight he has to change his speach to rail about the latest thing the Gov has done. This makes him more prone to saying stupid unthought out things (whats new there you may ask). He don't look well.

Alls fair in love and war eh!!!

I personally believe that under the cover of the "emergency" decree the government will soon bring back Thaksin in order to "restore peace and promote reconciliation".

The emergency decree will be used to return Thaksin to restore order, and ultimately the government will install him as prime Minister by the "will of the people".

So little miss fluff-head sister can then go back to her shopping trips and buying more fake Guicci handbags I guess.

Wow! I want some of whatever you are smoking. That must be Thaithunder or Siamsideslam...you spouted seven TV cliches in three sentences.... Bravo!

Even if you posted a million posts, that doesn't mean this makes any sense. Maybe you are having an off moment or ten to the eighteenth power...

blink.png

interesting prediction. I will be surprised if that happens, however it does seem possible.

Wow! I want some of whatever you are smoking. That must be Thaithunder or Siamsideslam...you spouted seven TV cliches in three sentences.... Bravo!

Even if you posted a million posts, that doesn't mean this makes any sense. Maybe you are having an off moment or ten to the eighteenth power...

blink.png

Is it really so unimaginable? The election held, PTP returned but can't call a parliament. Amnesty bill comes back and they ram it through anyway, twisitng the rules or simply ignoring as usual. No one knows because PTP deem reporting it openly could lead to violence, so media suppressed. After it's law it will be argued it was the best thing - forgive and forget and any protesting will still be subject to the SOE and crushed.

It seems this is their only hope. They must have some plan for parliament that the EC is missing regarding the shortfall in the number of MPs returned.

Trust worthy - not on your life. Crafty - more than a barrel load of monkeys.

emoticon-cartoon-022.gif

At last a debate every home can relate to

Who controls the TV ?

In most homes I guess the dominant alpha male ,until he slips off his perch and the young ones jostle.

Interestingly cannot find in the constitution the who pulls the plug clause.

Nice to see the bit about telegrams in the decree ,mutatis mutandi, they took of little else down the mooban

What this screams again from the roof tops is that all the regulatory panels and courts are stacked With Sutheps and his backers lackeys.

Yingluck has outed the EC as have the foreign press today in NY times. The medical profession disgraced themselves with the sexist rants and the flying of the Red Cross. Showed ignorance, partisanship, connivance. The EC also came out with the Sexist slurs and inuendo... So in the eyes of the world, Yingluk and Democracy are under seige the elites and their mobs. Media here print and report what they are told so we don't need to comment much,

An Elite, Sexist, Corrupt gathering with a sadly deluded mob marching for them are not what Governments of the world will support. Unless you are only interested in Trade agreements with North Korea.

Nice of her to come out to defend bluesky though. Explains her extreme ignorance and her facebook page demonstrates her lack of professionalism.

We need Bluesky TV broadcasting or how else would we be able to see what lunatics class as news. For me, I wouldn't close it.

Probably the Government giving Sutheps men lots to think about and to respond to. Maybe having to respond to all this will bring on a heart attack or breakdown. They are certainly keeping old Suthep on his toes and everynight he has to change his speach to rail about the latest thing the Gov has done. This makes him more prone to saying stupid unthought out things (whats new there you may ask). He don't look well.

Dumbo is such a hypocrite!

EVERY single time anything dopes not go 100% Thaksin's way some twit marches out this tired old line of crap. Could you consider for even a fraction of a second that maybe someone is actually trying to do their job properly instead of pandering....? You really do post a load of made up crap, scary thing is I think you believe all your own bs !!

• Like 1

Why, or more correctly, how the hell did Facebook or any other social media outlet become an official way to disseminate government policy (any government or any policy)

unfortunately we have seen senior elements in the Civil service having to resort to media like FB to voice opinion or blow the whistle - it would seem they don't have other options open to them - they are brave people in my books and something needs to be done to allow the press to cover such stories without fear from intimidation