Anti-abortion activists rally in Washington

News_Editor

By Tashauna Thompson

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- Pro-life activists rallied at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday for the annual 'March for Life' that coincides with the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, a landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion in the United States.

Starting out as a small demonstration in 1973, the 'March for Life' in Washington, D.C. has grown to be the largest anti-abortion event in the world. The march is annually held on the anniversary of the Roe vs. Wade Supreme Court ruling; the decision that ruled state laws banning abortions except to save the life of the mother were unconstitutional, effectively legalizing abortion.

During Wednesday's event, which focused on the issue of adoption this year, thousands of abortion foes from across the country gathered at the National Mall despite frigid temperatures and slippery snow. "Adoption is a heroic decision for pregnant mothers who find themselves in a difficult situation," said 'March for Life' President Jeanne Monahan.

According to movement leaders, the latest generation of pro-life activists is creating a more upbeat culture, with supporters blasting dance music, holding placards that read slogans such as "We are the pro-life generation" and large images of a smiling Pope Francis, who is one of their supporters.

"I join the March for Life in Washington with my prayers. May God help us respect all life, especially the most vulnerable," the 77-year-old pontiff wrote on his Twitter account. He was joined by other pro-life activists whom also showed their support through social media, using hashtags such as "WhyWeMarch" on Twitter.

But others, such as U.S. President Barack Obama, welcomed the decision, commenting that every woman should be able to make her own choices about her body and her health. "We reaffirm our steadfast commitment to protecting a woman's access to safe, affordable health care and her constitutional right to privacy, including the right to reproductive freedom," he said.

Obama added: "And we resolve to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies, support maternal and child health, and continue to build safe and healthy communities for all our children. Because this is a country where everyone deserves the same freedom and opportunities to fulfill their dreams."

Cecile Richards, the president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, said two-thirds of the American public has supported access to safe and legal abortions since the landmark ruling more than four decades ago. Nonetheless, it appears the fight over abortion is back in the political spotlight.

With a rise in the number of states enacting restrictions, abortion debates have become quite common, particularly in state-level elections. According to the Washington Post newspaper, 53 state abortion restrictions were enacted last year alone, with more restrictions enacted between 2011 and 2013 than in the entire previous decade.

The supporters of 'March for Life' carry on the legacy of its late founder, Nellie Gray, who met with 30 pro-life leaders at her Washington, D.C. home in 1973 to discuss how to commemorate the first anniversary of Roe v. Wade. With the help of others, Gray founded the 'March for Life' and coordinated the peaceful protest out of her Capitol Hill townhouse for the next 39 years.

Until her passing in August 2012, Gray continued to advocate for the lives of the "pre-born" and has been described as the "Joan of Arc of the Pro-Life Movement" by Cardinal Sean OâMalley.

(Copyright 2014 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

It's ironic, the pro-life folks are head of the line when screaming for the death penalty. And they eat more meat (from dead animals) than any other political group.

'Pro-life' is a misnomer. People who favor a woman's decision are saving more lives in the bigger picture, than those who are forcing women to back-alley abortions and/or self-abortions. I once spent an awful evening with two attractive young women friends. Both had unwanted pregnancies, and both were trying to abort. They were doing it with mescaline and some other drugs which a self-described natural healer had given them. Both women got ghastly sick that night, but neither aborted. The saddest part, is both their kids (boys) were missing on at least once cylinder, if you know what I mean. One became a sexual predator (on little boys) and the other committed suicide before his 20th b'day. How many hundreds of thousands of similar sad stories are kept quiet? We'll never know.

The Pope is as much a problem, for encouraging unwanted babies, as Ro Reagan was in the 1980's. Banning condoms and abortion are among the absolute stupidist rules imposed upon people. If you don't believe me, take a hard look at the Philippines, where whole families camp, literally, on hills of steaming rubbish.

• Like 2

It's ironic, the pro-life folks are head of the line when screaming for the death penalty. And they eat more meat (from dead animals) than any other political group.

'Pro-life' is a misnomer. People who favor a woman's decision are saving more lives in the bigger picture, than those who are forcing women to back-alley abortions and/or self-abortions. I once spent an awful evening with two attractive young women friends. Both had unwanted pregnancies, and both were trying to abort. They were doing it with mescaline and some other drugs which a self-described natural healer had given them. Both women got ghastly sick that night, but neither aborted. The saddest part, is both their kids (boys) were missing on at least once cylinder, if you know what I mean. One became a sexual predator (on little boys) and the other committed suicide before his 20th b'day. How many hundreds of thousands of similar sad stories are kept quiet? We'll never know.

The Pope is as much a problem, for encouraging unwanted babies, as Ro Reagan was in the 1980's. Banning condoms and abortion are among the absolute stupidist rules imposed upon people. If you don't believe me, take a hard look at the Philippines, where whole families camp, literally, on hills of steaming rubbish.

From your post:

"It's ironic, the pro-life folks are head of the line when screaming for the death penalty. And they eat more meat (from dead animals) than any other political group."

It would be interesting to see your backup for this little statement.

Edited by chuckd

From your post:

"It's ironic, the pro-life folks are head of the line when screaming for the death penalty. And they eat more meat (from dead animals) than any other political group."

Several statements, actually. In regard to pro-lifers a.k.a. arch-conservatives being in favor of the death penalty, that's a given, for anyone who knows what goes on in the American political arena. My assertion regarding 'eating meat from dead animals' is perhaps a bit fuzzier. Yet, take a cruise on the Bible belt or anywhere where pro-life conservatives congregate, and you'll see copious amounts of meat at their meals. We're talking 2 inch thick steaks as big around as a dinner plate. They've got the protruding bellies to back it up (in a roundabout twisted way, that relates to pregnant women). It's been estimated that a steak dinner can take from two weeks to two months to go from one end of the alimentary canal to exit at the other. I don't care a whole lot what adults do to their bodies, but eating so many hundreds of tons of meat is taxing on the environment. Google feedlots, if you don't get my gist. The Amazon jungle is losing a Massachusetts-sized region each year because of cattle grazing. The water and waste issues associated with mass beef production is prodigious.

I am pro choice and believe in a women's right to not have religious conservatives force their beliefs on a woman they don't know that could potentially have a negative impact on that wonan's life for the remainder of her life.

According, I did not like giving my 17 and 18 year old daughters the money to go to DC to be a part if this anti-abortion rally, but I did. I also respect their choices, beliefs and causes.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 2

From your post:

Several statements, actually. In regard to pro-lifers a.k.a. arch-conservatives being in favor of the death penalty, that's a given, for anyone who knows what goes on in the American political arena. My assertion regarding 'eating meat from dead animals' is perhaps a bit fuzzier. Yet, take a cruise on the Bible belt or anywhere where pro-life conservatives congregate, and you'll see copious amounts of meat at their meals. We're talking 2 inch thick steaks as big around as a dinner plate. They've got the protruding bellies to back it up (in a roundabout twisted way, that relates to pregnant women). It's been estimated that a steak dinner can take from two weeks to two months to go from one end of the alimentary canal to exit at the other. I don't care a whole lot what adults do to their bodies, but eating so many hundreds of tons of meat is taxing on the environment. Google feedlots, if you don't get my gist. The Amazon jungle is losing a Massachusetts-sized region each year because of cattle grazing. The water and waste issues associated with mass beef production is prodigious.

Translation:

"I don't have any backup because I just made it up. You must believe me as many restaurants have beef on their menus and they serve people who oppose abortion."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of abortion, which is what this thread is about, did you know that there were more potential Americans killed by abortion in 2008 than have been killed in action in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican war, Civil War, Spanish-American war, World War I, World War II, Korean war, Vietnam conflict and Gulf War combined?

Deaths by abortion in 2008 totaled 825,564 children.

Total battle deaths in the wars listed above were 575,498.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6015a1.htm?s_cid=ss6015a1_w

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/american%20war%20casualty.htm#t1

• Like 2

From your post:

Translation:

"I don't have any backup because I just made it up. You must believe me as many restaurants have beef on their menus and they serve people who oppose abortion."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of abortion, which is what this thread is about, did you know that there were more potential Americans killed by abortion in 2008 than have been killed in action in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican war, Civil War, Spanish-American war, World War I, World War II, Korean war, Vietnam conflict and Gulf War combined?

Approximately 1 million pregnancies in the US end in miscarriage each year.

How many potential conceptions are prevented each year by contraception?

Look forward to a campaign to prevent miscarriages and outlaw contraception.......

• Like 1

From your post:

Translation:

Approximately 1 million pregnancies in the US end in miscarriage each year.

How many potential conceptions are prevented each year by contraception?

Look forward to a campaign to prevent miscarriages and outlaw contraception.......

Miscarriages are a natural act. Abortions are not.

Contraception is good. Abortions would not be needed if contraception were practiced...except for the rare accident.

I have no problem with abortions involving rape, incest or a danger to mother. What I object to, in the strongest terms, are abortions after 20 weeks of a pregnancy. Pulling a viable baby out of the womb in pieces doesn't seem exactly humane to me.

Just for the record, I have helped raise three children in my lifetime. Two of the three were adopted.

So there is another way, besides contraception, to prevent abortions.

• Like 1

From your post:

Translation:

Trying to find accurate info on this highly contentious subject (well at least in the US!) is not easy.

here is an excellent source for what is probably the least skewed data:

http://www.abort73.com/abortion_facts/us_abortion_statistics/

To address your point re using contraception as a means of avoiding abortions, it would seem that 54% of abortions were carried out to women actually using contraception at the time of conception (obviously not too successfully). Mercifully only just over 1% of all abortions occur after 20 weeks (not sure how many of these are emergency or medically driven).

From your post:

"It's ironic, the pro-life folks are head of the line when screaming for the death penalty. And they eat more meat (from dead animals) than any other political group." It would be interesting to see your backup for this little statement.

Translation:

Trying to find accurate info on this highly contentious subject (well at least in the US!) is not easy.

here is an excellent source for what is probably the least skewed data:

http://www.abort73.com/abortion_facts/us_abortion_statistics/

To address your point re using contraception as a means of avoiding abortions, it would seem that 54% of abortions were carried out to women actually using contraception at the time of conception (obviously not too successfully). Mercifully only just over 1% of all abortions occur after 20 weeks (not sure how many of these are emergency or medically driven).

From your link, which by the way, seems well written and unbiased, late term abortions (+20 weeks) made up 1.3% of 1.16 million abortions in 2009.

Your link further points out that there have been around 50 million abortions from 1973 through 2008.

Using the 1.3% late term abortion as a constant through that period, it would seem a total of 650,000 potentially viable fetuses have been aborted during the period from 1973 to 2008.

Makes one wonder how many of them might have been productive members of society.

Women who are pro-choice are not in favor of abortions. They're in favor of being allowed to make their own decisions about serious personal issues. They don't want a group of elderly men in Washington D.C. mandating what they should do. The same elderly men who, if their daughters were carrying unwanted fetuses, would quietly facilitate safe abortions for them.

• Like 2

It is estimated that 55 million abortions have been performed in the US since the ruling on Roe vs Wade became law. If you compute the multiplier effect of these aborted fetus', the side effect is an overall population reduction in the neighborhood of 75 - 85 million people. With the current economic and social environment in the world, I view this as a positive.

http://www.lifenews.com/2013/01/18/55772015-abortions-in-america-since-roe-vs-wade-in-1973/

I believe in free choice for everyone. If you are apposed to abortions, that's your choice. Just don't try to impose your beliefs on me.

It is estimated that 55 million abortions have been performed in the US since the ruling on Roe vs Wade became law. If you compute the multiplier effect of these aborted fetus', the side effect is an overall population reduction in the neighborhood of 75 - 85 million people. With the current economic and social environment in the world, I view this as a positive.

http://www.lifenews.com/2013/01/18/55772015-abortions-in-america-since-roe-vs-wade-in-1973/

I believe in free choice for everyone. If you are apposed to abortions, that's your choice. Just don't try to impose your beliefs on me.

I agree. Interesting that you have a picture of a viking for your name. Vikings had a tradition, if a baby was born which was ailing in any way (cleft palate, mal-formed or sickly) an elder would take the newborn up to a high (usually rocky) place, and leave it to die.

I agree. Interesting that you have a picture of a viking for your name. Vikings had a tradition, if a baby was born which was ailing in any way (cleft palate, mal-formed or sickly) an elder would take the newborn up to a high (usually rocky) place, and leave it to die.

Cor, that could give you an Oedipus complex.

tongue.png

I personally believe that life begins at conception. I understand there are many who don't, but a 1 day old fetus is equally as reliant on someone feeding it and looking after it as a one day old child. So for me there is no difference and the medical usage of 'viability' is just a convenient squib.

I understand the opposing arguments and I understand the need to respect a woman's rights. I also understand the complications which arise with pregnancy which may necessitate termination and I also realise there are plenty of childless couples out there who would love to adopt. I also understand banning something usually just sends it underground.

Given all these conflicting and contradictory pressures the only realistic policy, I believe, is the approach formulated by slick willy himself: safe, rare and legal.

I just hope to god one day we get there.