Free Baht Bus Ride

texanaust

The other day I jumped on a Baht Bus pretty far down Jomtien Beach Rd, almost at the Sigma Hotel. The bus remained empty almost to Thapphraya Rd when it stopped for a Russian couple and their child. They initially waved him off, but then approached the cab and talked to him. After that they jumped in and off we went. Instead of going into Pattaya, the bus turned and went to the Big Buddha. Since I'm fairly new to baht buses, I stayed on and decided to see what would happen. Well, he dropped the Russians off (they paid him 200bht) and then drove like a madman down the hill and back into Pattaya. Before my stop, he picked up two Thais. I jumped off at the school and walked up to pay him my 10baht. He gave me a positively dirty look, refused my money and then shooed me off.

So what gives? Was he being sorry for taking a charter, pissed off because I stayed onboard or was I bad luck that he didn't get any other passengers? I'm new to Baht buses so I don't know if there is any etiquette in this situation...

The dirty look is normal.

It's not a happy life.

What happened was the Russians hijacked your bus into a taxi. This happens sometimes. Staying on was OK ... I always do unless kicked off. Generally they will still go into Pattaya eventually. There is a risk they will kick you off far from a bus route and then it will cost you a lot never happened to me but I've heard reports. Sometimes the drivers will pick up people even after it's been chartered and go way off route. Sleazy behavior but not really that rare in high season. In your case he was being a good guy to you because he took you off route. Usually drivers would have still demanded fare.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Speaking of charters I got on with a mate yesterday in Second Rd near Royal Garden and at Mikes Shopping three guys got on with suitcases.

Songtaew turned off at Central Rd as it seem these guys were a private hire.

They still wanted our money thou.

They are a law unto themselves and do what they want.

• Like 1

Speaking of charters I got on with a mate yesterday in Second Rd near Royal Garden and at Mikes Shopping three guys got on with suitcases.

They often turn at Central road but if they take new people after South Pattaya road they should go as far as North road. Yes who regulates their bad behavior? I think nobody.

• Like 1

They often turn at Central road but if they take new people after South Pattaya road they should go as far as North road. Yes who regulates their bad behavior? I think nobody.

They usually head down Second Rd til at least BIg C occasionally they turn left or right at Tops but that is not the norm.

Jingthing….have you ever considered buying a car or even a moped? No more baht bus adventures but your blood pressure would thank you for it. I only take them when I'm too drunk to drive but not a single misadventure in the past 10 years.

• Like 1

Jingthing….have you ever considered buying a car or even a moped? No more baht bus adventures but your blood pressure would thank you for it. I only take them when I'm too drunk to drive but not a single misadventure in the past 10 years.

Nobody has never mentioned that before.

I have never thought about that.

• Like 1

The dirty look is normal.

It's not a happy life.

What happened was the Russians hijacked your bus into a taxi. This happens sometimes. Staying on was OK ... I always do unless kicked off. Generally they will still go into Pattaya eventually. There is a risk they will kick you off far from a bus route and then it will cost you a lot never happened to me but I've heard reports. Sometimes the drivers will pick up people even after it's been chartered and go way off route. Sleazy behavior but not really that rare in high season. In your case he was being a good guy to you because he took you off route. Usually drivers would have still demanded fare.

Thank you for clarifying, JT. clap2.gifwai.gif

Scheduled buses, shamelessly practise this as well. I have learned to accept this behavior so I can sit back in the bus, relax and enjoy the dirty look.

One post removed:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Jinthing just LOVES talking about baht buses.

it's his fav topic, well that and food.

Maybe.. but he has experience enough so he can talk about it and has a lot of valid information.

Yes I know, I was only jesting. I like JT, even if he doesn't like 'English' Chinese food laugh.png

For the new guy, some easy hints. First decide which direction you want to go, then get on a bus heading that way, dont discuss anything with the driver, and always get on a BBus that already has someone else on it, so there is no possibility of the driver accusing you of "chartering". Only get on the ones that are active, (on the road making stops, not just sitting there) If it turns the wrong way just pay up, and get on the next one. When you are done, no talk, just give your 10Bt, and go.

For the new guy, some easy hints. First decide which direction you want to go, then get on a bus heading that way, dont discuss anything with the driver, and always get on a BBus that already has someone else on it, so there is no possibility of the driver accusing you of "chartering". Only get on the ones that are active, (on the road making stops, not just sitting there) If it turns the wrong way just pay up, and get on the next one. When you are done, no talk, just give your 10Bt, and go.

Yep, but getting on south of Chiapruk on Jomtien Beach road means that very often you are the first person to board the baht bus. In any case, I try to heed this advice as much as possible.

If a baht bus gives me the run around, I offer a grand to pay.

You do what?

"If a baht bus gives me the run around, I offer a grand to pay". Got it?

No.

Now there is a new topic for you mate, to add to your 10000. Post what I said and ask members what it means. Aveagoodday.

Dunno. Could be believable and real. Some folks can take the "one week millionaire" concept and make it a lifestyle. "Here, buddy. I'm so f*ckin' rich I'll make you lose face (i.e. insult you) with B1,000. Because I can."

Not saying that's what s/he's doing. Just sayin'...

OK. I will.

Is this character saying he offers baht bus drivers 1000 baht every time he gets on a baht bus and it goes off route?

If not, what do you think this character is saying?

If so, I don't find this claim believable.

I don't get it either. To me it only mean he pays 1000 BHT when getting screwed by the bus driver. blink.png

OK. I will.

Is this character saying he offers baht bus drivers 1000 baht every time he gets on a baht bus and it goes off route?

No mate, this warrants a whole new topic,dedicated entirely to my post.

Dunno. Could be believable and real. Some folks can take the "one week millionaire" concept and make it a lifestyle. "Here, buddy. I'm so f*ckin' rich I'll make you lose face (i.e. insult you) with B1,000. Because I can."

Not saying that's what s/he's doing. Ju

First sentence, spot on, the rest, way off.

OK. I will.

You're just being silly now. If you're not willing to clarify your odd statement, it certainly isn't worth any more discussion by anyone. Cheers!

OK. I will.

I don't get it either. To me it only mean he pays 1000 BHT when getting screwed by the bus

I didnt say i "pay" a grand.

OK. I will.

I don't get it either. To me it only mean he pays 1000 BHT when getting screwed by the bus

What kind of game is this?

You said "you offer" a grand. 1000 baht? You offer 1000 baht? Then you don't pay 1000 baht? Again, not believable.

OK. I will.

You're just being silly now. If you're not willing to clarify your odd statement, it certainly isn't worth any more discussion by anyone. Cheers!

Then you can stick with your beach road widening and jet ski scam posts instead. You've ruined my day.

OK. I will.

What kind of game is this?

You said "you offer" a grand. 1000 baht? You offer 1000 baht? Then you don't pay 1000 baht? Again, not believable.

Your getting warm, yes , I offer a grand,one thousand baht, and dont pay one thousand baht.

Edited by aveabeeror2