Caretaker PM Yingluck , Election Commission to discuss rescheduling snap poll

webfact

Caretaker PM, Election Commission to discuss rescheduling snap poll
By Digital Content

13907816296444.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 27 – Thailand's caretaker prime minister and the country's Election Commission (EC) chairman are scheduled to meet tomorrow to discuss the possibility of postponing the Feb 2 general election.

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said he was informed that Ms Yingluck Shinawatra would meet him Tuesday at 2pm.

He said the EC will raise the issue of disruptions of the advance election at many polling stations yesterday, and proposed that the snap poll be delayed.

The caretaker government will be asked to issue a royal decree to postpone the election, he said, adding that all five EC members will join the meeting with the prime minister.

If the government insists on holding the election on Feb 2 as originally scheduled, the EC will go ahead despite knowing that the House of Representatives cannot be convened after the poll due to the lack of a quorum, he said.

The Lower House cannot be declared open unless the number of elected candidates reaches 95 per cent of the total Members of Parliament.

An agreement to postpone the election does not guarantee that the political situation will return to normal but it will at least cool down the political temperature, said Mr Supachai.

“We had informed the government twice about the political situation only to be told that it was the EC’s (overactive) imagination. Incidents during the advance election confirmed that it wasn’t our imagination. The violence did not escalate because we have instructed election officials to avoid confrontation.”

Caretaker Labour Minister Chalerm Yubamrung said in his capacity as director of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) that the advance election was disrupted because the EC did not seek security personnel from the CMPO.

Puchong Nutrawong, EC secretary general, said the EC has contacted the National Police Bureau and the military to dispatch personnel to maintain public order at polling stations.

“We sought cooperation through normal security channels. We did not contact the CMPO,” he said.

He said legal action will be taken against those impeding the advance election. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-27

reschedule in May... then ban the Un-Democratic Party for not running in TWO elections (under the constitution) then have public debate about reform ALL parties put their plan then VOTE and all abide by the result of the PEOPLES wishes

We don't want postponement for a later date.

We want the Siwanatra clan ousted, and then think about elections.

1 Who is we the Government of the failed Hellenic Republic?

2 Who are the Siwanatra ?

3 Who will you vote for or are you one of those Golden Dawn fascists who opposes the rights of mnorities and the exercise of the franchise

If you google Thai corruption 18 million results whereas Greek corruption 26 million results,pot kettle,perhaps foreigners should concentrate on putting their own house in order before criticising the Kingdom.

Tax evasion and corruption in Greece - Wikipedia, the free ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_evasion_and_corruption_in_Greece
Tax evasion and political corruption exist in Greece. This is to the extent that tax evasion has been described by Greek politicians as “a national sport” -
  • Like 2

PM to consult legal team before meeting with EC Chief

BANGKOK 27 January 2014 (NNT) — Prime Minister and Defense Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has met with her legal advisors before a planned meeting with the EC Chief.

Ms. Yingluck met with her legal advisors and related Cabinet members at the Ministry of Interior today before attending a planned meeting with Election Commission Chief Supachai Somcharoen on January 28.

Security at the Interior Ministry was reported to be tight and on high alert; various checkpoints have been also established throughout the premises.

The time and place of the meeting with the EC Chief has yet to be made public.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-27 footer_n.gif

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said he was informed that Ms Yingluck Shinawatra would meet him Tuesday at 2pm. Maybe she will sack you my friend, incompetnce right from the strat a sethup man if ever there was one

Fortunately she has all the power of a beheaded teddy bear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think the time to rescheduling anything except the BKK bus service has past the expiry date on the product, the direction in which the current crisis is heading, there will be no winners or losers, except Thailand itself, conditions now at ground level dictate unfortunately the involvement of the military, a interim military type government with a mixture of both civil and military personal , this government to administer for a period of one year with the option of six mths extention will introduce the reforms, honestly , in the present format , it's dammed if you do and dammed if you don't , Thailand could very well be at the cross roads, she needs a steady hand at the controls to steer her through this troubled period, her future at present dictates chaos at every turn. Just a thought options are running out.

• Like 1

Will she really go and have a chat ??

I think she will delegate someone else, just a guess...

I think YL will go to chat. Telling them in the end that the feb 2 election continues. After all, if she doesnt rush this election then the NACC will have the time they need to make formal charges against her for the rice scam and using gov money to fund her political campaign

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think YL will go to chat. Telling them in the end that the feb 2 election continues. After all, if she doesnt rush this election then the NACC will have the time they need to make formal charges against her for the rice scam and using gov money to fund her political campaign

I think you will find that the NACC will do that regardless of whether it's before or after an election. Pity they cannot charge her with wasting taxpayers money seeing that without a quorum parliament can not be convened.

The Buster Keaton comedy that is known as the CMPO - two days ago - was finally able to find a home for their offices as alternative after alternative met with resistance. The Air Force was the latest to kick them out. They simply didn't want them there. So now - at least for now - the CMPO has an office - in the Narcotics Bureau. As Mr. Chalerm - the I can do anything I want chief of everything that moves - is heading CMPO, he ought to know that the police and the military are two institutions that are for the service of the public. So when the EC goes to the police and the military for help, that is the correct procedure. And another thing, the CMPO houses the police. So this utter nonsense from Chalerm - who has never been able to get the police to move on anything - is headed for the dustbin. The real story is how clueless Yingluck is in her capacity to behave as a prime minister, when the EC has spent the last two weeks playing tag with her. So now she wants a delay. One becomes dizzy as to the on again, off again announcements regarding this election.

I think you will find that the NACC will do that regardless of whether it's before or after an election. Pity they cannot charge her with wasting taxpayers money seeing that without a quorum parliament can not be convened.

Yes perhaps! BUT, I think you will find the NACC somewhat reluctant to go after a PM rather than a caretaker. Evidence may be harder to obtain as well

• Like 1

RubbaJohnny, on 27 Jan 2014 - 11:50, said:
Costas2008, on 27 Jan 2014 - 11:13, said:

3 Who will you vote for or are you one of those Golden Dawn fascists who opposes the rights of mnorities and the exercise of the franchise

If you google Thai corruption 18 million results whereas Greek corruption 26 million results,pot kettle,perhaps foreigners should concentrate on putting their own house in order before criticising the Kingdom.

Tax evasion and political corruption exist in Greece. This is to the extent that tax evasion has been described by Greek politicians as “a national sport” -

I think there is something wrong with your reading and comprehension of the OP article.

It's about THAILAND and NOT GREECE.

Please, read again.

RubbaJohnny, on 27 Jan 2014 - 11:50, said:
Costas2008, on 27 Jan 2014 - 11:13, said:

I think there is something wrong with your reading and comprehension of the OP article.

It's about THAILAND and NOT GREECE.

Please, read again.

i think youl find thats called scraping the bottle of the barrel costas...never mind eh..w00t.gif forgive the lad..

“We had informed the government twice about the political situation only to be told that it was the EC’s (overactive) imagination. Incidents during the advance election confirmed that it wasn’t our imagination. The violence did not escalate because we have instructed election officials to avoid confrontation.”

Heads buried in the sand...

And what happened when the when the protesters tried to stop the government wasting money printing ballot papers...

As the farmers go unpaid I bet Yingluck and the other Shin clan and cronies get their pay checks and excessive expenses paid on time.

Edited by Basil B

Another worry....the NACC has gone awfully quiet over the past few days.......have they finally also succumbed to the Thaksin payment plan??

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said he was informed that Ms Yingluck Shinawatra would meet him Tuesday at 2pm. Maybe she will sack you my friend, incompetnce right from the strat a sethup man if ever there was one

Does she have authority under law to do that?

Why worry, PTP and Tarit can soon make one up.

I take it from your avatar and posting name that you're Greek.

Leaving aside the irony of someone from a country which claims to have been the birthplace of democracy (in ancient times) oppoing elections, it is not up to you (we) but it is up to the Thai people!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The Constitutional Court passed the buck by declining to rule on who has final say the government or the EC. Sounds like it is up to the government but the EC commissioners can resign which would cause a delay of at least 3 months and put the caretaker government under prolonged pressure. They have been silent about this possible for over a month now but did threaten it in December. Perhaps they will give the government one more chance or perhaps they have decided to see things through and hold the Feb 2 elections anyway. I would think that resignation must be very tempting, even tho they have only just got the jobs because they are likely to be the subject of legal and physical threats whatever happens, if they stay on.

who is WE?

But anyway, even here in Thailand there are excisting laws and I'm happy to live in this country. And also it doesn't matter much WHO is ruling the country. The one is as good as the other. There is no significant difference between Suthep and Yingluck. Only that Suthep is a brainless idiot who lost his marbles....