TAT hopes to boost domestic tourism during Valentine's month

webfact

Special Report:
TAT hopes to boost domestic tourism during Valentine's month

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is gearing up to promote Valentine’s Day events across the country in a bid to make up for shrinking number of international tourist arrivals this month.

TAT’s deputy governor for domestic marketing Thawatchai Arunyik said the agency is now focused on boosting domestic tourism after tourists from many countries were driven away by rising political tension and strings of violent attacks.

Malaysia, the Philippines, China and the United Kingdom are among a host of countries that have advised their citizens to avoid traveling to Bangkok and its surrounding areas and to monitor the situation closely after the government imposed a 60-day state of emergency.

Activities to be held during the month of love include southern holiday packages, underwater wedding festival and elephant-themed wedding packages in provinces all over Thailand.

Thai Airways International joined hands with Thai AirAsia in hosting the “Fly Me to the South” campaign. Visitors will receive a discount on tour packages, air tickets and accommodations when flying to southern provinces during February 7-19. The TAT expects 20,000 travelers to take part in the campaign.

Trang’s underwater wedding festival, internationally recognized for its uniqueness, will also be held for the 18th consecutive time during February 10-12. The mass underwater wedding ceremonies are the biggest in the world. Currently 30 couples have signed up to tie the knots at the event.

In Thailand’s upper parts, Chiang Mai will play host to a flora festival and to Lanna-style weddings on elephants’ backs in the beginning of February. Other couple-themed events include mass weddings held in the sea of lotus in Udon Thani and elephant-back weddings in Surin on Valentine’s Day.

In addition, the TAT in collaboration with Suvarnabhumi Airport will be setting up a welcoming booth for lovers and honeymooners arriving in Thailand during February. Souvenirs and photos will be given to the lovebirds at the booth as well.

Mr Thawatchai added that even though the tourism market has been hampered by ongoing protests and the enforcement of the emergency decree, the market for Indian weddings continues to generate revenue.

The latest figures suggest that Indian visitors purchased a total of 1,285 wedding packages, with each person expected to spend up to 10,000 baht a day. The TAT usually offers many incentives to Indians for weddings. The agency reported that in general, the average spend for an Indian wedding in Thailand is 10 million baht.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-27 footer_n.gif

I expect the rice farmers will be enjoying tours of Bangkok, lavish meals in nice hotels and tours of protest sites. After they are all rich again.

Gotta love TAT.

Tat Noun. 1. Rubbish, junk. Abb. of tatty.
Used to refer to the kind of junk sold by crafty Cockneys to unsuspecting tourists in central London.
  • Like 1

In addition, the TAT in collaboration with Suvarnabhumi Airport will be setting up a welcoming booth for lovers and honeymooners arriving in Thailand during February. Souvenirs and photos will be given to the lovebirds at the booth as well.

What.......a bag of rice?thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

"Valentines Month"? That's got to be a world record for milking it!

Actually I quite like that. When someone asks the inevitable "How many cards did you get?' question you don't have to lamely reply "Dunno yet, I left home before the postman arrived". thumbsup.gif

Got to admire the fact that TAT's glass is always half full, even if they do spout utter sh!t.

clap2.gif Yes they are totally irrepressible, wonder what they're on ?

Who else could turn a one day event into a month and project ' love ' with all that's going on in the country at the moment and likely to continue ?

• Like 1

Got to admire the fact that TAT's glass is always half full, even if they do spout utter sh!t.

Looks more like they are highlighting the unique ornamental pieces that were created by smashing the glass. whistling.gif

Gotta love this.

Indian weddings 10M Baht.

From what I see in Jomtien and Pattaya, when I am there, they are bargaining for everything and spending next to nothing.

Glass half full, of course they drank the top half of the Lao Kao before writing this nonsense.

A few old Lincolnshire things we used to say------TAT is similar to...

Bungalow--no one upstairs,

Haven't got all their chairs in one room,

House with light on but no one at home,

Have had a pheasant fly away,

A bread loaf short of a crust,

any more lads ??? this is on topic as it describes TAT's crazy ideas. You see if I had 6 billion budget to spend without being monitored I would go crazy.

A few old Lincolnshire things we used to say------TAT is similar to...

Bungalow--no one upstairs,

Haven't got all their chairs in one room,

House with light on but no one at home,

Have had a pheasant fly away,

A bread loaf short of a crust,

any more lads ??? this is on topic as it describes TAT's crazy ideas. You see if I had 6 billion budget to spend without being monitored I would go crazy.

One sandwich short of a picnic

One brick short of a load

There must be loads mate

Woefully inadequate to describes TAT unfortunately

• Like 1

Gotta love this.

From what I see in Jomtien and Pattaya, when I am there, they are bargaining for everything and spending next to nothing.

Glass half full, of course they drank the top half of the Lao Kao before writing this nonsense.

I had never thought about haggling over the prices in a 7-11 before, but I see Indians doing this regularly, until the counter staff lose their temper......

• Like 2

Gotta love this.

I had never thought about haggling over the prices in a 7-11 before, but I see Indians doing this regularly, until the counter staff lose their temper......

I love to see the faces of Chinese and Indian in particular trying to give ordinary shops Satang---counting them out 4x25 satang=1 baht cheesy.gif love it.

• Like 1