F1 2014

rixalex

On the News, + the talk at P1 about 30 mins ago

The Marussia F1 Team has folded and its staff made redundant, the team's administrators have confirmed

Not good for F1 sad.png

Sad to see them go

Teams are coming and going, thats the nature of F1. It would not be F1 if all the teams who have a big dream would make it.

If Bianchi had not have the accident, would you have been able to name the Marussia drivers? I would not have been able to do that.

I'm more happy to see new Red Bulls coming to the F1. Teams who start from the quite bottom, but have enough stamina to make it all the way to the top. Remember how the Red Bull had lot's of fun executing the plan to get to the top. http://www.gizmag.com/go/4058/

Lotus has been showing similar fun, without their problems with the sponsors and financial sector, they might be able to make it all the way to the top as well.

Marussia, Caterham, Force India and Sauber lack the fun part and will be insignificant for the rest of their existence. Williams have a great past and was dropping down for years. Now then the team is lead by Claire Williams, there seems to be more good vibe in the team, which is likely to follow even better results.

F1, like any other corporation management is not done only with numbers and technical advances. The psychology plays a huge part of the success.

Marussia, Caterham, Force India, Lotus, are just names, before the present name they were called by different names.. and before that, and before that.. and so on.. F1 has lost a Team last week and maybe present named Caterham may or may not be a Team by what ever name next year..

​Believe there is something like 156 named F1 Teams that have gone before........ Sauber name vanished when it became BMW, with them going, Peter Sauber took over again so Sauber is back.

Red Bull yes they stated at the bottom in F1, but with many years in all types of Racing... Dietrich Mateschitz owner did say not long ago F1 is no longer about out and racing and to the effects Red Bull could pull the plug on F1..

As for Ferrari, yes they lost there way + some key staff in resent years..... what if any will the parting Company with Chrysler/Fiat parent company have on Ferrari ?

• Like 1

One of the cultural difference between people from the UK and the rest of the world is how we appreciate the F1 teams and the drivers. For the most of us, the teams mean nothing. Only the drivers have real value why we are interested to watch the races.

Well, OK, the Italians will support Ferrari in any case. However the number of people in UK and Italy is anyway just few middle size countries in the globe.

Well he did not...

But hell of a good race again...

Nico's weekend, topped all 3 FP's, Pole and the race, + the first ever Pole Championship.

But just proves how finely matched those drivers are, last 20 laps Lewis was all over the back of Nico, well within 1 second until the last few hundred meters of the flag.

Has Bernie Ecclestone got Dementia ?

appears everyday he says the opposite to the day before !! any wonder Teams cannot agree on anything ....

and his latest idea ? Guess that will change soon to something different anyway.......but 4 F1 Teams with 'A' and 'B' teams, all 4 'B' Teams will run the older cars and engines blink.png

• Like 1

Stupid, running last years cars, none of last years cars meet this years requirements, but if this had happened this year I bet Vettel would have been happy to have been demoted to the "B" team. tongue.png

Yes, I am sure he lost his marbles years ago...

Interesting interview with Lewis and Bernie: http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2014/11/16613.html

Edited by Basil B

The fact that BE allowed the race in USA to be screwed up by the 2 teams dropping out - when he knows how important the american market is to F1 - shows that he has definitely lost his ability to manage F1. The teams will never agree anything because they are competitors, and BE was the referee, but now that he's lost it there is nothing holding F1 together.

Hat's off to his accomplishments and his longevity, but time to get his successor(s) in now.......

The managing company - CVC - appear to not give a damn. They only want returns on investment to continue at the obscene levels BE has achieved for them -- and for himself BTW ;) Unless someone else can come in and convince CVC that they're killing the goose that lays their golden eggs, nothings going to change. I have healthy respect for BE, he's managed to go from F1 team owner to F1 controller and it'll be a brave man that challenges him for that position without the background in F1 and successful investment management. None of the current crowd appear to have the abilities needed, but to be honest the only person who might get close is Flavio ;)

Well he did not...

Nico's weekend, topped all 3 FP's, Pole and the race, + the first ever Pole Championship.

But just proves how finely matched those drivers are, last 20 laps Lewis was all over the back of Nico, well within 1 second until the last few hundred meters of the flag.

For me, one vastly superior team racing among themselves for all the honours, with the rest of the field in the far distance, does not constitute a good race.

I'm sure one-eyed supporters of that team would disagree.

I think a lot of the, less die hard, supporters of the sport event may have dropped away this season along with several of the poorly funded and uncompetitive teams.

I saw the track interviewer (Rundle?) talk to BE just before the race. The guy seemed like an escapee from a geriatric facility, and had trouble putting a sentence together. He spent most of that short time looking around to see who was going to smoodge with him next. The interviewer showed little respect for what the man used to be, and couldn't wait to move on.

Well he did not...

For me, one vastly superior team racing among themselves for all the honours, with the rest of the field in the far distance, does not constitute a good race.

I think a lot of the, less die hard, supporters of the sport event may have dropped away this season along with several of the poorly funded and uncompetitive teams.

I saw the track interviewer (Rundle?) talk to BE just before the race. The guy seemed like an escapee from a geriatric facility, and had trouble putting a sentence together. He spent most of that short time looking around to see who was going to smoodge with him next. The interviewer showed little respect for what the man used to be, and couldn't wait to move on.

I believe that thinly disguised lack of respect you highlight is commonplace throughout F1 now. Everyone is waiting for him to retire, and hoping that the new guy will actually pay attention to the sport.

In case Rosberg wins the title and Button continues with McLaren, we could have three teams with 2 championship title holder drivers.

Mercedes: Rosberg and Hamilton

Ferrari: Vettel and Räikkönen

McLaren: Alonso and Button

That would be interesting.

Well he did not...

Well there were many other drivers out there fighting for a few meagre points...

Well at least we have not had the sport dominated by prancing horse team and the "German Cobbler" as it was only a few years ago.

Hopefully next year will see engine manufactures catching up.

Well there were many other drivers out there fighting for a few meagre points...

Well at least we have not had the sport dominated by prancing horse team and the "German Cobbler" as it was only a few years ago.

If it is agreed to un-freeze then maybe....... on the other hand Mercedes have said they know were to gain extra power... so will it be other engine manufactures can catch up, but the Mercedes has upped the power and is still ahead ?

Double points is a betrayal of the sport.

1 step away from Pro Wrestling

http://www.espn.co.uk/blogs/sport/story/367271.html

That article is partly emotional and political mambojambo. The double-point rule was made before the season started. Complaining about the rule was ok at that time it was announced, but it's not anymore. Now it's all about trying to 'reason' why one driver should have the title to him, instead another driver.

The drivers are not modern day heroes. They are doing their dream job and are good what they are doing. They also get paid very well for their services. But heroes, no. Simple boys with huge egos, yes.

Therefore who is going to win the title, should not be such an big deal. Their job is to entertain us during each race weekend. Every race itself should be a priority. Currently the drivers often say that they drive to make the most of the points from each race and don't risk to overtake or go to the limits as those risks might cost them later on. They can not drive as fast as they could as they have to save the tires, the engine, gearbox etc for the rest of the season. What kind of racing is that?

That article is partly emotional and political mambojambo. The double-point rule was made before the season started. Complaining about the rule was ok at that time it was announced, but it's not anymore. Now it's all about trying to 'reason' why one driver should have the title to him, instead another driver.

The drivers are not modern day heroes. They are doing their dream job and are good what they are doing. They also get paid very well for their services. But heroes, no. Simple boys with huge egos, yes.

Therefore who is going to win the title, should not be such an big deal. Their job is to entertain us during each race weekend. Every race itself should be a priority. Currently the drivers often say that they drive to make the most of the points from each race and don't risk to overtake or go to the limits as those risks might cost them later on. They can not drive as fast as they could as they have to save the tires, the engine, gearbox etc for the rest of the season. What kind of racing is that?

What kind of racing is that?

​So say saving money !! yet there spending more and more each year..

​Do they need the engine recovery electric system in F1 ? we now have Formule 'E' all electric single seater Race cars and there just as fast... + sure to improve over the next few years..

They keep changing the Rules and engine size + even more expense.. so say to make them slower yet there just as fast.... the old days with the V10's now with the even faster much smaller engine V6

Anyone interested in a 3 cylinder F1 Race car ? guess it will be the 4 cylinder 1st

Edited by ignis

If it is agreed to un-freeze then maybe....... on the other hand Mercedes have said they know were to gain extra power... so will it be other engine manufactures can catch up, but the Mercedes has upped the power and is still ahead ?

Mercedes have historically produced hugely powerful engines, right back to the days of Fangio and Moss. They will probably continue to dominate the power circuits at least, even if the rest get their engine-thaw and manage to get a few more horses.

The real question is what on earth is BE thinking of by squeezing the smaller teams like Sauber out to be replaced by "super GP" cars run by more manufacturers. Looks like the only people allowed to enter F1 are the car makers, unless some entrant has hugely deep pocket like RedBull.

Edited by jpinx

Remember 3 other teams ran Mercedes power units...

Did Mercedes give the other teams down-graded/substandard/seconds?

Mercedes had the upper hand this season through there own ingenuity, I assume Renault and Ferrari will be copying many features of the Mercedes power units for next year, if they want to do better then the must start using their own ingenuity to develop a better engine than Mercedes instead of knocking Mercedes, or will we end up with one engine supplier for all teams just like we do with tyres?

Nico was interviewed a few weeks ago, admitted he has changed his views on the double points issue, well for this year anyway. whistling.gif (at least he gave a honest answer).

Remember 3 other teams ran Mercedes power units...

Did Mercedes give the other teams down-graded/substandard/seconds?

Mercedes had the upper hand this season through there own ingenuity, I assume Renault and Ferrari will be copying many features of the Mercedes power units for next year, if they want to do better then the must start using their own ingenuity to develop a better engine than Mercedes instead of knocking Mercedes, or will we end up with one engine supplier for all teams just like we do with tyres?

Indeed - and it's very noticeable that the Mecedes powered cars are doing well compared to the others. If Lotus get Merc Power units next season that's going to be fun too. Obviously Mercs own packaging of the car and power unit s going to be optimal because they were able to modify the engine to fit the chassis as well as vice-versa, whereas the customers have to tweak their chassis and experiment with cooling etc.

Williams/Mercedes have been snapping at the heels of the top teams all season. I feel sorry for Sauber/Ferrari who are financially struggling and saddled with a lazy donkey of a power unit. I'd not be surprised if they jump ship, but they'll wait to see what happens with the potential engine thaw.

Without allowing continued development of the power units Mercs will always be strongest, but a thaw will only allow them to develop and probably maintain their margin of advantage. I'm not sure if it's possible, but somehow F1 needs a different way to limit the power units to level the playing field. Having said that - it's all down to Renault and Ferrari -- and now HOnda too -- to get their development teams fired up and actually be creative again.

It's a tough call -- personally I think the FIA should allow a small partial thaw in specific areas, but should cost cap the powerunit development or the smaller teams are going to suffer even more pain. Honda have an effective development thaw because their unit is not fixed yet - so it seems even more unfair.

Last year F1 was all about tires and who can save them the best they could. It was not about who can drive the fastest laps.

This year it has been all about the engine. How much power the engine can give, how long it can last and partly how much gasoline is consumed.

I'd like to see the drivers race as fast as they possibly could without these restrictions. For me the F1 is currently more about accounting than sports where people give their best all the time.

Were there similar restricting factors 10 years ago?

Will someone put the fool out of our misery?

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/184001.html

Maybe he is not a old fool. maybe he knows F1 is on its last legs.. when he dies he wants all the followers of F1 to be died of just about so.. ??

Cannot be many Sports about that they want to attract the 70 + year old followers ?

He could live another 10 years......... OK will be well into my 70's by then...

Anyway with all he is saying of late, that report in most of the F1 News today will have changed tomorrow or next week

Will someone put the fool out of our misery?

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/184001.html

I do not think you could even pay a German judge £60M to drop a homicide charge, anyway there are not that many people about with that sort of money... tongue.png

Just wonder if it was the same German judge that wrote that report that exonerated Sepp Blatter and the FIFA??? whistling.gif