Thailand Beer Talk....

lmfao

What is your favorite Thai beer (I know a lot of people are going to think.. none but hey were in Thailand now, I am sure not everyone dislikes the beer here), When do you like to drink beer and where and how often?

Was Chang not 6.2% before or something, now its 6%? Who owns these Thai beer companies ( there rolling in it anyway as they don't let other foreign beers enter the market and if they do they tax them too much)

Do you like your beer with Ice or not?

And how much has the beer price risen since you arrived in the land of smiles and what's your opinion on the price increase?

A Question for EVERYONE Folks. smile.png PS you don't have to answer all the question only as many as you like thumbsup.gif

post-198216-0-91924600-1390904927_thumb.

Edited by lmfao

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said about not letting foreign beers in. I would hazard to guess that not many foreigners would drink Thai beer by choice if there were decent, resonably priced and easily available alternatives.

But in answer to your question, in years gone passed, Chang was my favourite on the basis it got me legless the most effectively. Nowadays, if I do drink beer, it is most likely Heineken, but I really don't like it; it is just about the best of a bad bunch.

With wine being so costly, and the beer so $hite, I generally drink (premium imported) spirits.

• Like 1

I drink Leo now, but used to drink Archa back when I could buy a large bottle for 18 baht. I enjoyed Singha on the street for 40 baht (large bottle) while eating but those days have vanished. What has there been, 3 tax hikes and a flood? I do know that it is considerably more expensive to have a few beers now and often lament on how it's cheaper to drink GOOD beer in the states .

• Like 1

Chang classic with ice for many years, 2 (big) bottles/day at home in the evening.

Right! Chang classic is a real hit..ter ....biggrin.png

Chang Classic for many years, it only appeared a couple of years ago, how many goes do Chang need to have to get it right?

Chang,Classic, Draught, Export, Light, what next buffalo piss?

Chang favourite tipple of TEFLrs and pensioners on a budget, probably the best selling berer in soi BK in Pattaya, only because they have never heard of other such buffalo piss as, Cheers Extra or Red Horse, even the much maligned m/c taxi drivers dont touch it.

For Thai beer, Federbrau is the only one I drink when drinking Thai style, other than that, German beers.

Oh for a return to the good ole days of Amarit and Kloster.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Chang classic with ice for many years, 2 (big) bottles/day at home in the evening.

Chang Classic for many years, it only appeared a couple of years ago, how many goes do Chang need to have to get it right?

Chang favourite tipple of TEFLrs and pensioners on a budget, probably the best selling berer in soi BK in Pattaya, only because they have never heard of other such buffalo piss as, Cheers Extra or Red Horse, even the much maligned m/c taxi drivers dont touch it.

For Thai beer, Federbrau is the only one I drink when drinking Thai style, other than that, German beers.

Must Try the Federbrau but cant see how its any different? as the same company supplies it??? Not everyone has easy access to German beer here, if I ask my local for GERMAN beer they would laugh and think good Joke farang lololol... laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pngbiggrin.pngtongue.png

Edited by lmfao

Leo is usually my go to. It's by no means amazing, but it's a decent lager for a not too expensive price. It turns over really fast so it's usually pretty fresh. Singha seems hit or miss as Thai people rarely buy it and it's often a bit stale if it's been sitting in the shop for awhile. Chang has an ok flavor but more than one or two bottles can lead to a pretty bad headache.

Sometimes I buy Cheers just because I like the tall cans (but don't care for Heineken). No ice needed since the cans stay cold longer than bottles.

As far as prices, I could get three Leo for 100 baht when I first moved here six years ago. Not particularly impressed with the price increases.

• Like 1

Must Try the Federbrau but cant see how its any different? as the same company supplies it??? Not everyone has easy access to German beer here, if I ask my local for GERMAN beer they would laugh and think good Joke farang lololol... laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pngbiggrin.pngtongue.png

Federbrau, if I remember correctly, is made according to German standards i.e. made only from barley, yeast, water, and hops. So, no rice or sugar or any other adjuncts in there. It's pretty good on draft if you can find a place that sells it.

• Like 1

Leo went up 17% in November compared to half that rate of rise for Singha. Boon Rawd have decided their cheap beer has done such a good job at overhauling Singha that they can gouge the customer.

Singha Lite - at 3.5% alcohol. All the others (well, local stuff) say they are 5%. Even Chang. I'd question that. Anyway, buy a slab at Makro - it's 8 baht a can cheaper than in 7/11 (unless Makro still have pre-tax supplies available). Singha Lite is not the greatest beer, but after 25 years, I have no recollection of what a good beer tastes like. :)

• Like 1

I start with two large bottles of Chang Classic at about eight at night. I usually will go till five the next morning, chugging Chang but also having an occasional whiskey on the rocks for an added punch.

This most often takes place on Sois 3, 4, 7, and 11, though I do a fair amount of drinking in public to save money in the general Sukhumvit areas.Not counting the hard alcohol I will drink at the bar carts while playing Connect Four with a lady in the early two or three a.m. hours.

Also Khao San, but a fun past time there is double fisting two large Changs with the company of a female while riding on a tuk tuk heading back to Bamboo Bar on Soi 3 to drink whatever I can get my hands on.

And sometimes make it home and drink my cold, refrigerated Chang I have on stock till the sun is up.

To hell with ice cubes.

• Like 1

Ive recently aquired a taste for Singha Light. A 24 box costs me 605baht. I have them ice cold with a slice of lime.The label says "smooth,cool and refreshing".i gotta agree.Its only 3.5%,but it tastes great.No bitter taste............give 1 a try,i know its not very popular but i sure like embiggrin.png

• Like 1

Ive recently aquired a taste for Singha Light. A 24 box costs me 605baht. I have them ice cold with a slice of lime.The label says "smooth,cool and refreshing".i gotta agree.Its only 3.5%,but it tastes great.No bitter taste............give 1 a try,i know its not very popular but i sure like embiggrin.png

I am happy for you smile.png by the way are you female by any chance?

I don't have a problem with Thai beer, I love Singha

Not such a fan of Chang due to strength, 6.4% and you can feel that after a few big bottles.

I always remember the old stories about Thai beer, formaldehyde in Singha, was it? Also, NO ONE knows how strong Chang is ... could be 6% ... could be 12%!!! It's not regulated, you see!!

People used to say this and I met a young-ish lad on one of the islands last year and he was telling me these stories about 'oh, I think this one is 12%' ... I laughed. They have got worse with the stories but they have been passed down