Award to worst drivers in Thailand goes to...

12DrinkMore

I got driven over inside our resort on Samui inbetween the bungalows. The driver was a young guy from 19 and farang.

Another day walking on the pavement in Chaweng i misstepped and stumbled on the street while a car was approaching. He could just break in time.

Samui is far too busy and i haven't been there for 5 years now. I bet it is much worse now because they were building new hotels all over the island.

Lucky i found better islands to go for relaxing.

• Like 1

Pattaya would get my vote.

Why, you have a mix of everything jammed into a small space. Hiso Bangkokians for the weekend that haven't a clue how to get to Central Festival, local expats in Fortuners who do, visitors of every makeup driving motorbikes in every conceivable direction and DOA buses / baht buses and cement trucks zooming around at high speeds + roads that are in a terrible state = a good place to learn how to drive in Thailand, if you live.

I would have voted Bangkok but with so much traffic crawling around at 10kmh it's hard to form a real opinion on just how bad they are.

• Like 1

Feel better now ? All that angst released now you can get on with the rest of your life.

So? If nobody posts then nothing will get done.

.... and you think because you protest vote here that something will be done ... cheesy.gif

sorry ...

And where I am the street lights have been out of use for 4 years so I cannot see daft stuff riders with nooooo lights. Nobody cares about anything here, so we must just ''crack on''................thumbsup.gif

typical to most islanders they own the place and do only what they want regardless of death being a natural games to risk your life.

Absolutely stupid from them and extremely dangerous for foreigners sobers or not.

• Like 1

The OP is correct, Samui driving sucks.

You put your life in the hands of the motor-vehicle gods each and every time you get out there.

I have to wait 3 minutes or more just to cross the main road "Ring Road" on foot.

have been in Samui 28yrs now..Smaui drivers[locals] i have shit 'em...the police dont care...2 young girls hit me while i was parked..not even in the car..police told me to pay them 2000bht <deleted> [they were abt 12/13yrs]..i gave them my best thai..F... O.. its getting worse by the day...and only farangs suffer...

• Like 1

Feel better now ? All that angst released now you can get on with the rest of your life.

So? If nobody posts then nothing will get done. Probably my post will make no difference.

But if everybody does nothing then nothing will be achieved.

10 points for optimism..

So? If nobody posts then nothing will get done.

.... and you think because you protest vote here that something will be done ... cheesy.gif

sorry ...

why then write all the other topics everyday on TV(didnt mean you personally)?? also a waste of time......

I have never been to Samui but I'll bet that the drivers in Phuket are even worse. They are absolute idiots and behave very un-buddist as soon as they get behind the wheel of a vehicle...and don't listen to a word of what your Thai gf will say in their defense...they are idiots and should be disciplined!!!!! If anybody ever hits my car, or me I will beat them badly(if I can still stand) . Just crossing the road on foot here is a rolll of the dice.

sent by my iphone doing 150 kph in my chevy

• Like 1

I have never been to Samui but I'll bet that the drivers in Phuket are even worse. They are absolute idiots and behave very un-buddist as soon as they get behind the wheel of a vehicle...and don't listen to a word of what your Thai gf will say in their defense...they are idiots and should be disciplined!!!!! If anybody ever hits my car, or me I will beat them badly(if I can still stand) . Just crossing the road on foot here is a rolll of the dice.

sent by my iphone doing 150 kph in my chevy

I go to Phuket regularly and indeed the driving is sometimes aweful, but I feel on Phuket, maybe because the roads are wider and better, that I am not constantly about to have a collision or be run off the road. Samui is in a class of its own.

Horrendous.

So? If nobody posts then nothing will get done. Probably my post will make no difference.

But if everybody does nothing then nothing will be achieved.

so you are using thaivisa as a medium for change?

well done, i thought you were just venting.

glad to see you making a difference

In fact Samui does not have the worst drivers! It has the worst motorbike riders, mainly because of an agreement to ask for a Passport as documentation, not a driving licence! Lots of people hire motorbikes and scooters, which they would never be allowed to do back home, and have no idea how to ride them! There are 10x more motorbike and scooter accidents on Samui pro rata than in the rest of Thailand!

In fact Samui does not have the worst drivers! It has the worst motorbike riders, mainly because of an agreement to ask for a Passport as documentation, not a driving licence! Lots of people hire motorbikes and scooters, which they would never be allowed to do back home, and have no idea how to ride them! There are 10x more motorbike and scooter accidents on Samui pro rata than in the rest of Thailand!

A Thai drivers licence is worthless so i dont see the problem...........you want proof? go out on any road and see all those licences in action.