Retirement Visa Then Married Still Need 800k

If someone is already on a retirement visa and then later marries a thai

1. do they still need 800K in the bank when renewing the reitement visa every 12 months

2. is there any advantage to changing visa from retired to married

thanks

If someone is already on a retirement visa and then later marries a thai

1. do they still need 800K in the bank when renewing the reitement visa every 12 months

2. is there any advantage to changing visa from retired to married

thanks

i believe you need 800k for retirement visa even if married. retirement visas are easier to renew in thailand and therefor may be preferable to marriage extensions.

if i'm wrong, i'm sure lop3 will correct me.

steve

Actually it probably should be 2x800 for married to keep up with the Jones. :o

AFAIK the retirement is 800k regardless of your wife. If you and wife are both foreigners it is still 800k.

The advantage of married (depending on your view), other than the lower cash requirement, is that you could still work and the Permanent Residence might be easier to obtain. The disadvantage is that it requires several trips to immigration and you both have to apply each year.

For your case , Retirement Visa is better than Marriage Visa.It's Easier and everything only depend on you.

In Thailand , I think www.lawyer.th.com , they can give you a good advise.

we_zaa

Lopburi, what you mean with several trips?

2 trips to be exactly. Once to apply

and once after the "under consideration period" is expired.

Then you get the final 1 year visa.

If you take a lawyer, you have to go only once.

WCA

Edited by wca01

WCA

It depends how you define several. Mine is "an amount that is not exact but is fewer than many". It is normally two trips in Bangkok but often more (sometimes many more) upcountry.

I don't believe bringing a lawyer exempts you the under review period. Your passport must be presented at least two times in my experience for the support Thai wife extension of stay. Perhaps your lawyer is presenting your passport the second time? Or more?

You do not obtain a visa from Immigration. You receive an extension of your current entry.

If your extension of stay expires and the final extension has not yet been approved your receive another short extension from your local immigration office.

We are talking about extension for “support Thai wife”.

WCA, it depends where you apply, in Bangkok or upcountry.

Your personal presence and that of your wife is generally required only for the application. Subsequent follow-up visits to see if the approval has arrived and to pick up the approval can be made by anybody you authorise to do so, simply a messenger or, if you wish, a lawyer you engage for this purpose.

---------------

Maestro

WCA, it depends where you apply, in Bangkok or upcountry.

Your personal presence and that of your wife is generally required only for the application. Subsequent follow-up visits to see if the approval has arrived and to pick up the approval can be made by anybody you authorise to do so, simply a messenger or, if you wish, a lawyer you engage for this purpose.

---------------

Maestro

Ref. to my experience in Bangkok, your message is 100% accurate.

WCA

Lop,your advice did help many of us expat,myself comprised,but please remember this is Thailand,as I told in another topic,the deeds of the Immigration office aren't standard,I think someone else reported that,actually,the Nong Khai office take a more relaxed view,and for the extension (non Imm-0) you don't need to wait so long.Same day really.

Probably this applies only for people that are well known,not at the first extension,but its real,hopefully they'll continue!

If you are thinking of the post that I recall the wife just happened to have a police rank above the official at Immigration. A support Thai wife extension of stay for "John Doe" is going to be a wait regardless of the office involved - if Nong Khai normally did not wait I am sure we would hear about it very quickly. I would rate it an extreme exception until I have seen a lot more posts saying I am wrong. Which I would welcome if I am as we all are here to provide information to each other as accurately as we can.

Does the retirement visa is easier to obtain ? And the holders of it does have more right?

Bullshit!

I have a married visa for over 4 years, and never I had any kind of problem about the extension if it; and always I done everyting that I wanted.

I know some people that have a retirement visa and they have the same right as me.

Does the retirement visa is easier to obtain ? And the holders of it does have more right?

Bullshit!

I have a married visa for over 4 years, and never I had any kind of problem about the extension if it; and always I done everyting that I wanted.

I know some people that have a retirement visa and they have the same right as me.

What exactly are you talking about? We already mentioned that the support Thai wife has the advantage over retirement in that you can work and also perhaps obtain PR easier. But it is still a multi trip to immigration each year with a period of under review when the retirement is cut and dried approval or not in one visit.

I believe "we zaa" post was in reference to the chance a marriage may not last but with retirement his stay would not be dependent on that. In fact it would be no big deal to change to retirement if the marriage ends. I can find no post where anyone mentions more "rights".

thanks

800K seems a little step if you own your own place and dont have to pay rent

Application for further stay for an alien husband who supports a wife who is Thai citizen or who is a permanent resident of the Kingdom of Thailand

Required Documents

1. Immigration Form 7

2. Copy of passport

3. A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph

4. A 1,900 baht application fee

5. Marriage Certificate

6. Birth Certificate (if any)

7. Financial evidence showing financial status of the husband

1. Bank account pass-book, personal bank statement of the account owner.

2. Evidence indicating income along with related documents. If receiving pension, a document of pension payment certified by the embassy or consulate of the country that pays pension is needed.

3. In case of working in Thailand, Work permit and evidence of tax payment are required.

8. Documents indicating Thai nationality or permanent residence of the wife such as identification card (ID), census registration address / residence identification, or passport (in case that the wife is a permanent resident)

9. A record of interviewing the applicant and his wife.

10. Applicant must accompany his wife to the Immigration Bureau office to certify of all the documents. The couple will be able to confirm that they are still husband and wife.

11. Evidence certified by the applicant's embassy or consulate showing the applicant's marital status.

12. The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents from the applicant if necessary.

Wife of Thai nationality:

1. TM. 7

2. Passport copy

3. Passport picture (4x6 cm)

4. Application fee 1,900.- Baht

5. Marriage certificate

6. House register and identification card of wife

7. Birth certificate of children (if any)

8. Interview record of applicant and wife

9. Applicant must accompany his wife to the Immigration Bureau office to certify of all the documents. The couple will be able to confirm that they are still husband and wife.

10. Financial documentation:

- Bank statement and copy of bank account showing at least 400,000.- Baht deposit

- Employment evidence, work permit, and tax documentation showing an income of at least 40,000.- Baht.

They speak from 400k

Application_Non_Immigrant_O.doc

This "Married, still need 800K" got my attention. TALK ABOUT INFLATION!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time I asked (about 1 year ago) it came out like this: Married to Thai Lady, Funds required in Bank: 400'000 BHT when living in urban aereas - 250'000 BHT for rural aereas.

= Is it really 800K now?

AND: This supporting Thai-Wife-Clause! As long as there are some 42 professions listed, that a "Farang" is not allowed to engage in, the Thai-Wife Support would therefore have to come from the "outside", right? (Monthly Pension-Money Transfer for Ex.).

The requirement for support Thai wife extension is 400k and has been for several years.

I would be very interested in who exactly said it was 400k in urban and 250k in rural areas as there is no such distinction in immigration regulations that I have ever heard.

The 800k figure is for retirement extension of stay.

There are many working in Thailand with work permits than can use local income.

This "Married, still need 800K" got my attention. TALK ABOUT INFLATION!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time I asked (about 1 year ago) it came out like this: Married to Thai Lady, Funds required in Bank: 400'000 BHT when living in urban aereas - 250'000 BHT for rural aereas.

= Is it really 800K now?

AND: This supporting Thai-Wife-Clause! As long as there are some 42 professions listed, that a "Farang" is not allowed to engage in, the Thai-Wife Support would therefore have to come from the "outside", right? (Monthly Pension-Money Transfer for Ex.).

More info here --> http://pattaya-immigration.e-webonline.com...d=32&groupid=19