29 year old us guy,how can i live in thailand indefinitely on visa?

It means non immigrant visa. That is the same wording they use for many types of extensions.

If you bring the money into the country and go to immigration in Bangkok the will do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry from a exempt entry or tourist visa with proof you have it in a Thai bank (government owned bank if you want to buy a condo).

So, tourist visa is a non-immigrant visa ? As well as visa exempt (at least for the purpose of the these regulations) ?

No a tourist visa is not a non immigrant visa nor is visa exempt entry. The non-im is an abbreviation for non immigrant visa.

I wrote you could do a conversion to a non immigrant visa from a tourist visa or exempt entry if you have the money in the bank. Then after about 60 days you can apply for an extension of stay based upon investment.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

notmyself thank you for the insightful info...

to be honest that sounds pretty doable and 10k left over even while socking away for pension i could do a lot with..

Don't forget you will have the additional cost associated with a visa and this can add up. Working would certainly make a visa less of an issue but there is not going to be much of that around on an out of the way island. If you look at the 1300 bucks as income, that would be a pretty good wage in Thailand and certainly more than you would get teaching English. If you can live (and be happy) for much less than that it will allow you in add to you capitol so you don't have to worry about inflation which I think is 3.5%.

Roof over your head, food and water, power, good health insurance in case you get sick, putting away a few bob for your old age and adding to your capitol... sounds like a winner to me and most certainly worth a crack at. Whatever happens, stay legal with regard to visa status, don't break the law, be polite and don't step on any toes.

[Edit]Learning Thai is a must.

Edited by notmyself

40,000 is enough to live in Thailand if your working but the problem is that without a job you are going to have a lot of free time on your hands and I would worry about that money getting eaten up very quickly

Still though why not start teaching somewhere easy for 35k a month and that will give you a safety net of money and also keep you busy, living without a job at the age of 29 seems like a recipe for disaster if you stay in one place

My mate is looking to do the same thing as you he is training at the moment and thereafter takes a franchise with Asia Backpackers on Koh Chang apparently the franchise package comes with a work visa and all the paperwork required to open and operate a backpackers hostel, for your age this maybe just what the doc ordered no idea if they are opening hostels where you want to go but why not give them a look over. http://asia-backpackers.com/

• Like 1

Are there really no expats on this forum who have lived in Southeast Asia all their lives by having a skill which offers them employment with good salary and benefits?

No, since by definition as an expat you have lived in your home country.

Swell, Mr. Word Perfect, let me rephrase. Are there really no expats on this forum who have lived in Southeast Asia for years by having a skill which offers them employment with good salary and benefits?

...the proper use of "Persona non grata", that is a definition applicable to diplomats only. Laymen are just refused entry or visa without use of big words.

Edited by Maestro
Removed part of post that was reply to removed posts.

Can he not just use 30 day visa free entries? I understood there was no "back to back" rule on these now and there have been recent changes so citizens of the G7 countries can also get 30 days via land borders. Could someone clarify the current regulations please.

OP, I didn't notice if you said you have a college degree. If you're going for multiple ed visas, why not get one and then you could teach English legally, get a work permit and stay indefinitely?

That should increase your income by around US$1,000 per month and you'd be very comfortable financially. You'd also be able to stop worrying about continually struggling for permission to stay.

As for your belief that you can live cheaper in Thailand than you can in the rural Southern US, you are wrong. That is unless you give up all things Western and live like a Thai. The only things that are cheaper in Thailand are rent and utilities. Everything else Western including food, cars, electronics, clothes etc. cost more in Thailand. Thailand has very high import taxes while the US doesn't have them.

If you rent something that is much cheaper than S US, it will also be much less in amenities. It's likely to be a one room studio, smaller than your two car garage at home.

Why don't you visit Thailand for 90 days, look around, and see what you think?

Can he not just use 30 day visa free entries? I understood there was no "back to back" rule on these now and there have been recent changes so citizens of the G7 countries can also get 30 days via land borders. Could someone clarify the current regulations please.

You will eventually get told at a land border crossing that you cannot use it anymore. I believe this is often reported on this forum. There is also the cost of visas to enter another country that needs to be taken into account. Unless the OP were to live in the deep south where entry is free into Malaysia (US Passport?) then it is not economically viable.

Thanks for the info. It is only 500 Baht to enter Myanmar or USD 20 to enter Cambodia. This is much cheaper than obtaining a non immigrant visa (not retirement). Are there any official guidelines for how many of these visa exempt stamps you can get or is it just a question of one day an immigration officer might not like the look of you and refuse you entry?

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

...Are there any official guidelines for how many of these visa exempt stamps you can get...

No.

...or is it just a question of one day an immigration officer might not like the look of you and refuse you entry?

Possible, but not likely to be refused entry. More likely, you would be flagged to immigration headquarters for an investigation as to whether your are working illegally in Thailand.

• Like 1

I pick my visas in Lao every 6 months, and go home in summer for 2 months. Here it s too hot and it s good time to be in Europe.

Belive me, you don t want stay in Thailand when it s over 40 c afternoon. And night are too hot.

You can stay in a small room like I do. Fan only.

You can have a very fun life here for less 15k bahts a month included a few trip to get your visa. Guys who tell you you need more money are just spoiled and still need their momy or a government to send them retirement money taken from youngers.

Millions of thai live less than 9k bahts a month and are happy , so please cut the crap. You don't need a car and drink beer every night. You don't need the last ps4 or icrap. You don't need to stay 20 minutes under a hot shower and you don't need to give your money to go-go ladies.

Don't focus to stay here permanently. Come here 9 months a year and go home.

Well..Now you have a chance teaching English in Pattani and South Thailand schools....No many teachers will apply for those jobs....and with a teaching WP you can stay here forever....Probably the schools will pay you about 30000THB plus some benefits. If you do not drink so much, do not like or need to frequent bar girls, and do not need a car...that money go long way for a single person....even enough for travel around and to other Asian countries. When I was single, just a year ago, I had a very good time here spending no more than 15000THB/month total, including the 3000TH rent for a nice small house outside Chiang Mai...I was dating and traveling a lot....until I found the right woman to get married and share with her other expenses..like the payment of a brand new car, and the rent of a larger house closer to town...Now my total expenses are about 25000THB/month.

• Like 1

I agree with the post above.

Few trips across thailand to pick up tourist visa and visit kho Samui , I spend average 14000 bahts /month.

If you can get a little legal job, you will probably have the best time in your life. I never have understood why unemployed western people stay in their s...country full of taxes when they can have a life of a rich cheap Charlie in sunny Thailand.

Edited by Cheapman

Well..Now you have a chance teaching English in Pattani and South Thailand schools....No many teachers will apply for those jobs....and with a teaching WP you can stay here forever....Probably the schools will pay you about 30000THB plus some benefits. If you do not drink so much, do not like or need to frequent bar girls, and do not need a car...that money go long way for a single person....even enough for travel around and to other Asian countries. When I was single, just a year ago, I had a very good time here spending no more than 15000THB/month total, including the 3000TH rent for a nice small house outside Chiang Mai...I was dating and traveling a lot....until I found the right woman to get married and share with her other expenses..like the payment of a brand new car, and the rent of a larger house closer to town...Now my total expenses are about 25000THB/month.

The trick is to find the girl that does not expect riches and that impossible sin sot payment. A smart young guy might be able to hook up with a girl who can contribute. Critical...and get one that does not have outstanding credit. Joking here now, but would it not be nice to get a new car with only 50 thousand baht down payment and put it on her credit???? That is leverage !

If you could live here forever, how do you plan to live when you can't work here, unless they are special circumstances?

If having money back home is important, then know that having money in Thailand is 10 Times Big Time More Important!

Duh, on needing money, here or at home. As far as 10 times more here, I don't agree, unless mummy is paying the bills at home.