Abhisit allows Democrat members free decision on voting

webfact

Abhisit allows Democrat members free decision on voting
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former Democrat MPs can make their own decision about whether to go out to vote or not, Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said Thursday.

He said it was not necessary for him to call a meeting with the party members to consider whether they should exercise their voting right or otherwise.

"The party has no the authority to order members to vote or not to vote. It is their right and duty to vote as the Thai citizens. If they decide not to go to cast ballots, they have to accept the fact that they will lose their political rights," the Democrat leader said.

"For me, I have already made a decision regarding to the February 2 election but I not saying what it is," Abhisit said.

He added that the Democrats had no need to give an explanation to the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) leader Suthep Thaugsuban, who is calling for reform before the election, should his fellow party members decide go to polling stations.

He also said he consulted the legal team, and found that snap election would eventually be nullified because it would not be hold only on the date fixed.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-30

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So now it's down to Suthep to start getting a brain and instead of obstructing the vote, try to use it..

Thai people please vote BUT if you don't like The Shinawatra clan VOTE NO to Phua Thai. sorted !

ps: as i understand it there are several new parties set up by thaksinites. What parties are they?

• Like 1

Shouldn't Abhisit and the rest go into the by-elections for the remaining seats to keep in politics?

It's clear Sutheps grasp for power has become a gasp for air. But if they plan on getting back into democracy politics, it needs to be done swiftly, they can't wait for Suthep to absolutely fail.

Sutheps games could drag on for months, he shouldn't drag them down with him.

[added, I wonder, maybe Suthep has promised his friends will annul the vote, and thus he wants Democrats to not vote, but its a big risk, Suthep hasn't been able to deliver on any of his previous promises]

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

when this is all over Abhisit and suthep will both be spent forces

neither will recover from the stigma of the 2010 riots and suthep from this

Yingluck will never lose the clone tag kindly applied by her brother

Korn is the only sensible choice to bring this country back to the international table and recover the economy

• Like 2

Superb political judgement and strategy, something that is sorely needed in the Thai political arena.

If the truth be known no doubt there are a large number of P.T.P. members who would like to able to make their own decisions instead of being kept political servants, thus accountable to the assorted vested personal interests within the P.T.P.

One small step for Abhisit, but one big one for the rest of the Thai political players.

He also said he consulted the legal team, and found that snap election would eventually be nullified because it would not be hold only on the date fixed.

Interesting

I thought the court say f\even fixed date can be changed?

Yingluck nearly fell for that didn't she?

"The party has no the authority to order members to vote or not to vote. It is their right and duty to vote as the Thai citizens...''

It's every Thai citizen's right and duty to vote - but it seems that the protestors don't agree. Abhisit dropped one by making that statement - perhaps he should have mentioned it to Suthep - but that's Eton and Oxford for you!

• Like 1

Abhisit May Vote On 2 Feb In Spite Of Boycott
By Khaosod English

ab.jpg
Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva meeting with US Ambassador to Thailand, Ms. Kristie Kenny, 30 January 2014

BANGKOK: -- Despite his party's call for a boycott on 2 February election, Democrat chairman Abhisit Vejjajiva said his party members may go to vote after all.

The Democrat Party has previously thrown support behind anti-government protesters′ call to scrap the 2 February election, citing the needs to "reform" Thai politics before any election can take place.

The opposition party′s demand resonated with the stated objective of the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), which calls for the establishment of an unelected "People′s Council" to rule Thailand as transitional government and implement the "reforms" deemed desirable by PCAD leadership.

All Democrat MPs also resigned en masse in December, adding pressure to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to eventually dissolve the Parliament, and many of these former Democrat MPs have been actively campaigning for the boycott of 2 February election alongside PCAD core leaders.

However, media reports in recent days suggested that some Democrat politicians might go to vote on 2 February despite their role in boycotting the election, out of the need to preserve their legal rights to run for other elections in the next 5 years.

The suggestion enraged many Redshirts, who in turn accuse the Democrats of hypocrisy.

One prominent pro-government commentator, Ms. Taona Sonakul, went as far as urging the public to monitor the polling stations in Bang Na district, where Mr. Abhisit′s voting right is registered, and take pictures of the opposition leader if he shows up for voting.

Ms. Taona also promised 40,000 baht reward for any photos of Mr. Abhisit exercising his voting rights which was denied to many other citizens of the country by anti-government protesters who disrupted the advance voting on 26 January.

Adding fuel to the speculation that Democrat politicians intend to vote, Mr. Abhisit told reporters today after attending a meeting with the US Ambassador that individual Democrat core members can decide for themselves whether to go to vote on 2 February.

"It′s individual voting rights. The party has no duty to command them what to do," Mr. Abhisit said, "If they don′t exercise those rights, they would have to accept the legal consequence of losing their rights".

He added, "So we let each person make decision for themselves. I have already made a decision, too, but I won′t tell you now what I have decided".

Asked whether the Democrats would have to explain themselves to PCAD leader Suthep Thaugsuban, Mr. Abhisit replied that there is no need for such discussion.

The former Prime Minister also expressed his frustration with Ms. Taona′s promise of 40,000 baht in exchange with photos of Mr. Abhisit at the polling station on 2 February.

"I don′t know what she has against me," Mr. Abhisit fumed, "I am not sure whether she wants to intimidate me".

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1UQTNOemcwTWc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-30

Now, isn't that special.....

On a lighter note: "For me, I have already made a decision regarding to the February 2 election but I not saying what it is," Abhisit said.

I don't believe, he said that! clap2.gif

• Like 2

Just an interesting thought, supposing a the dem's went to vote, and took a long time about it so that not everybody could get to vote before the polls closed.

Not democratic, but then the election system does need reform, and smaller but substantial minorities need better representation and Thailand needs rid of the corrupt politicians of all political views.

P.S. I have more respect for the person who goes and votes even if they spoil their ballot paper than someone who says they wont bother.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

Abhisit has made the absolutely correct decision. And for those that are listening, he also states what clearly will be the focus in the coming days :

" He also said he consulted the legal team, and found that snap election would eventually be nullified because it would not be hold only on the date fixed. "

He is referring to article 108 in the constitution which states that an election must occur all on the same date - clearly a reference to the eight Southern provinces that will not be participating. And although the EC has bent today to the will of the administration regarding the holding of an " election part two " on February 23, it will almost certainly be headed to the Constitution Court on the basis of that article. But the events of this weekend's vote will likely be fraught with so many complications, that it will, in itself, create its own roadmap of intractable problems that will make it impossible to validate many MPs without the rescheduling of the entire election all over again.

This will be interesting. I wonder if the protestors will let the Democrat ex-MPs vote with no problems but block others?

Some already voted and were not blocked.

Telling in the article Abhisit is bleating that people will take pics of him and use them on social media. Good.

About time this Clown left the political stage. Many people do hate him and will share pictures of his incredible hypocricy around the net.

Be52lZMCMAEXBZM.jpg

• Like 1