Auto Trivia

bazmlb

Grand Turismo. First used on Italian Tanks.

Roots are much, much older than that and first connected to motoring via Rolls Royce.

Perhaps Rolls and Royce were Italian. Id have thought they would have referred to a Grand Tourer, of which there wasn't one back then. Cortina G.T. seemed to start the craze on Brit Cars.

The origins aren't actually in the Italian Language at all.

The origins go GT come from 17th Century England (or maybe Britain)..................RR entered the story in the early 20th century (First or second decade.) and for a good reason.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You paint with a very wide brush! Yes correct my error. Visually I know which one it was just a numbers thing.

As I said it was probably too easy. I did think about asking about cars with no B-Pillar.

What's "wide brush" about it? You asked about cars that had suicide doors, or did you only want the ones you thought of? Sorry if I spoiled your fun.

Pillarless cars wouldn't exactly be difficult to name either.

Edited by MMarlow

Posted Today, 11:03

Push rod engine, cam is driven buy the crank via cog/gear on both, can you list the various items/parts that can drive the cam via the crank depending on designs.?

Chain; belt

shaft

An interesting answer, but what is the shaft is driven by...........?

Push rod engine, cam is driven buy the crank via cog/gear on both, can you list the various items/parts that can drive the cam via the crank depending on designs.?

Chain; belt

shaft

air + fuel, combusting :P

You paint with a very wide brush! Yes correct my error. Visually I know which one it was just a numbers thing.

As I said it was probably too easy. I did think about asking about cars with no B-Pillar.

What's "wide brush" about it? You asked about cars that had suicide doors, or did you only want the ones you thought of? Sorry if I spoiled your fun.

Wide brush? Easy. The question asked for cars . What you gave are the names of car manufactures, not the names of cars.

Chain; belt

shaft

Gears - I'm thinking of systems like the Ducati.

Chain drive: Two cogs, a tensioner and a chain.

Gear driven: two or more gears

Bevel drive: A form of gear drive used for OHC engines (a lay shaft between the crank gear and the camshafts)

Belt drive: Two or more pulleys, a tensioner and toothed belt.

Bevel drive: A form of gear drive used for OHC engines (a lay shaft between the crank gear and the camshafts)

Near but something missing in using just the word chain.....whistling.gif

Wide brush? Easy. The question asked for cars . What you gave are the names of car manufactures, not the names of cars.

Easy? The question was ambiguous, your own exclusion, Rolls Royce, is a manufacturer, not a "car".

Anyway, Renault 4CV, FX4, Rover P3 and P4, Facel Vega Excellence, MG TF, Fiat 1100, Delahaye 175, 135, Peugeot 203, Chrysler Royal, Ford F150.

There's others but I can't be arsed.

Duplex.

Duplex.

Your getting closer. Think I will prevail with this one......whistling.gif

Duplex.

Your getting closer. Think I will prevail with this one......whistling.gif

Just for the learning something guys. An engine only uses the Oxygen from air to provide combustion with fuel. Same as a nitrous injected engine (N2O), 2 parts Nitrogen, 1 part Oxygen, the engine only uses the Oxygen from it, the Nitrogen cools the charge.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for I guess it might be engine specific.

Generally there is a drive sprocket which is keyed to the crank. Then there is a timing chain, duplex or otherwise, sometimes but not always a tensioner I guess there could be an idler sprocket but I've only seen the slider type. Then the camshaft sprocket which is "indexed" to the cam with a dowel. Then on some designs there is a spring and a widget that pushes the cam towards the back of the block to stop cam axial float. Then there are cam followers sometimes hydraulic as has been mentioned in another post, or solid and shimmed. Then push-rods if it is not side valve and final rocker arms with screw tappet adjusters.

I've only ever done timing chains on E93A or 100E, 1293 Mini, VW air-cooled and Mitsubishi 2.6 4cyl. All others have been belt so a bit rusty.

Edited by VocalNeal

OK, perhaps I have not worded my question correctly.

I gave a clue regarding the chain. All chains are not equal.

Link chain

Roller chain (single and double row)

True roller chain

Just for fun, here is a picture of a setup from Edelbrock to replace the chain on most non tensioned USA V8's.

post-41816-0-70242900-1392787716_thumb.j

Torsen (spelling) is one.

The only other one I know is clutch based but don't know the name.

Edit: I think Subaru uses a type of viscous coupling?

Clutch pack

Cone

Locker

Braking system use.

Where does Torsen fit in there?

Torsen (spelling) is one.

The only other one I know is clutch based but don't know the name.

Edit: I think Subaru uses a type of viscous coupling?

Clutch pack

Cone

Locker

Braking system use.

Where does Torsen fit in there?

It does, but I'm not sure T/A knows about it. Also called a torque biasing diff using a planetary gear set up which can supply up to 100% of the available torque to the axle with the most traction. The most popular aftermarket one is made by Quaife. Anyone that has used one in competition against similar cars with LSD knows just how big an advantage they are over the normal LSD.

Of course the latest brake activated systems, like that in the McLaren P1 is superior to everything else.