Auto Trivia

bazmlb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have all probably heard of the USA Chrysler "HEMI" (hemispherical head design) V8 engine. Someone else in the USA developed a Hemi, who was it........whistling.gif

Ford

Yep, there is one.

Sorry, there is one more..........................smile.png

My name question came from Ford Essex County factory the base name that they developed X Flow Heads from.And You lot are Brits, Baahh,, ting tongs. So were they using a Wop name imo.thumbsup.gif

I had a 1600 cross flow maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany moons ago in a Cortina. Am sure you know why it was called cross flow ?

You have all probably heard of the USA Chrysler "HEMI" (hemispherical head design) V8 engine. Someone else in the USA developed a Hemi, who was it........whistling.gif

Ford

Yep, there is one.

Sorry, there is one more..........................smile.png

OK, it was Pontiac. They (with the help of Chrysler whistling.gif ) developed a 7 ltr all alloy V8 hemi that could rev/shift gear at 6300 rpm from factory w00t.gif . Called Ram Air 5.

BUT, GM pulled the plug on it's production............sad.png

How about vehicle named after Horses?

Notice I said vehicle because the one that got me started is not really a car but it does have 4 wheels and an engine.

Mustang .... has four wheels and an engine ..... and it's really a car.

And the Colt Starion which was a typo and it's not really a car as it looked like sh1t.

• Like 1

My name question came from Ford Essex County factory the base name that they developed X Flow Heads from.And You lot are Brits, Baahh,, ting tongs. So were they using a Wop name imo.thumbsup.gif

I had a 1600 cross flow maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany moons ago in a Cortina. Am sure you know why it was called cross flow ?

That's an easy one. Inlet ports one side exhaust ports the other so the gasses flowed across the cylinders.

Regarding cars named after horses, there was a lovely Spanish sports car in the 60s named a Pegaso after Pegasus the winged horse, if that counts. I think they mainly made trucks and are possibly even still going?

yes

Here's what got me going on the horses.

steyr-puch-haflinger-05.jpg

Premium parking at the best hotels assured with that one!

So I'll read into that that you don't know what the above is!coffee1.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

Here's what got me going on the horses.

steyr-puch-haflinger-05.jpg

Premium parking at the best hotels assured with that one!

If you are worried about your image woodsie or what others think you have identity problems coffee1.gif

Don't care much about image Neal, never have.

What's so special about hemi engines? Everyone knows pent-roof is more efficient?

Is it.....?

That would depend on your definition of efficiency. Emissions seem to be the biggest issue for Hemi production engines, with 4 valve pent roof designs taking over, not leaving many Hemi engines in production.

There is a summary in the benefits and drawbacks section of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi_engine

Yep but was Neal's post #797 referring to volumetric efficiency?

Efficiency can relate to many things, fuel, cost, weight etc.

Hemi's are fine but they are not the most powerful engines on the planet.

The most powerful internal combustion engines are 2 stroke diesel ship engines ~100,000 hp at around 100rpm, also among the most fuel efficient.

Yep but was Neal's post #797 referring to volumetric efficiency?

Efficiency can relate to many things, fuel, cost, weight etc.

Hemi's are fine but they are not the most powerful engines on the planet.

The most powerful internal combustion engines are 2 stroke diesel ship engines ~100,000 hp at around 100rpm, also among the most fuel efficient.

I should have stated 4 wheel rides......eh............smile.png

The most powerful engines on the planet are Hemi's. Top fuel Drag cars use the basic Mopar Hemi design.

Volumetric efficiency is the key to an engines performance. (How much fuel/air it can pull or force in.

Out of interest where do F1 cars rate in all this power and speed stuff in relation to say Nascar.

The most powerful engines on the planet are Hemi's. Top fuel Drag cars use the basic Mopar Hemi design.

Volumetric efficiency is the key to an engines performance. (How much fuel/air it can pull or force in.

Out of interest where do F1 cars rate in all this power and speed stuff in relation to say Nascar.

Nascar has very "restrictive rules" cos things were getting out of hand power wise. They are basically tuned street engines, when the 426ci Mopar Hemi put to the track it wiped the board, then things had to change. F1 cars have more HP.

When I was fooling around with stuff I had a list of VE for all production engines, the Hemi was at the top of the list.

Nascar has very "restrictive rules" cos things were getting out of hand power wise. They are basically tuned street engines, when the 426ci Mopar Hemi put to the track it wiped the board, then things had to change. F1 cars have more HP.

When I was fooling around with stuff I had a list of VE for all production engines, the Hemi was at the top of the list.

So the 7 litre GT Venom has a Hemi engine, reason for asking was looking at fastest car sometime ago and it didn't give much info.