Auto Trivia

bazmlb

OK now that the tyre balance is sorted,

Mmm, could have been wrong on that one....

But but but, we haven't sorted the pressures in them yet.....w00t.gif ................laugh.png

No worries, any pressure will do, especially at the rear.... whistling.gif

Noooooo...... waste of nitrogen gas.biggrin.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

idea.gif

If Nitrogen doesn't escape because the molecular size is larger and 78% of air is Nitrogen.

If you fill the tire to 30 PSI then 22% escapes over time you are down to about 24 PSI.

Re inflate the tire to 30 psi with air but now only about 5% is other stuff so it leaks out to give about 28.5 PSI

Re inflate again to 30 PSI and you should remain at about 29.9 PSI

So just inflate to 31 the first time and repeat the process and after 3 inflations over time you will cure the molecular leakage and be at 30 PSI.whistling.gif

I have a bottle of Argon downstairs so maybe......

idea.gif #2

As the moisture in the air causes the problem and it has of course been factored in when tire manufacturers determine their cold correct tire pressures.

If one uses dry nitrogen does the tire installer inflate to a slightly higher pressure to account for the hot inflation you will lose by using nitrogen.facepalm.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

idea.gif

If Nitrogen doesn't escape because the molecular size is larger and 78% of air is Nitrogen.

If you fill the tire to 30 PSI then 22% escapes over time you are down to about 24 PSI.

Re inflate the tire to 30 psi with air but now only about 5% is other stuff so it leaks out to give about 28.5 PSI

Re inflate again to 30 PSI and you should remain at about 29.9 PSI

So just inflate to 31 the first time and repeat the process and after 3 inflations over time you will cure the molecular leakage and be at 30 PSI.whistling.gif

I have a bottle of Argon downstairs so maybe......

idea.gif #2

As the moisture in the air causes the problem and it has of course been factored in when tire manufacturers determine their cold correct tire pressures.

If one uses dry nitrogen does the tire installer inflate to a slightly higher pressure to account for the hot inflation you will lose by using nitrogen.facepalm.gif

So you use argon in your Bently then. biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Woodsie,

As has been said Audi overtook Honda so the Audi is correct.

So what about the fastest piston acceleration?

OK now that the tyre balance is sorted, some piston speed and acceleration from another forum.

Audi R8 V10 5.2L 560hp - at 8700 RPM, average piston speed is 26.9m/s, max. piston acceleration is around 5000g.

Ferrari 458 Italia V8 4.5L 570hp - at 9000 RPM, average piston speed is 28.2m/s, max. piston acceleration is somewhere around 5400g.

The Ferrari V8 Stroke is 81mm so the piston speed above seems wrong.

The Audi V10 maybe the production engine piston speed & acceleration champ?

For comparison, some other engines quoted were:

2003 BMW F1 engine at 19000 RPM, average piston speed is about 25m/s, max. piston acceleration is around 10000g.

2006 Cosworth CA F1 engine at 20,000 rpm piston acceleration 10,616g.

3.5cc R/C racing engine, 16 mm stroke and 48,000 rpm 25.6 m/s 26,000g w00t.gif

You're on the dead right track as usual Jitar. Rod length has a very important part to play in this too. Check the difference in piston speed versus piston acceleration between the early S2000 and the later version. The piston speeds weren't hugely different, but the piston acceleration was dramatically higher. I can't remember the exact figures, though I'm sure they're easy to find.

The Audi R8 engine is almost the same as the Gallardo, so I guess that is the same.

If one has a Bentley old chap it is the chauffeur's job to keep the tires at the correct pressure. Lesser people have drivers... there is something about a man in uniform.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

If one has a Bentley old chap it is the chauffeur's job to keep the tires at the correct pressure. Lesser people have drivers... there is something about a man in uniform.

Heeeeeeeeey, We do not want JT on the motoring forum...............laugh.png

Women are better in (the right) uniform anyway

• Like 1

O.K. .So whats this New Ford Mondao Engine Chaps..?.

We were talking about this over a beer the other day.

1 litre turbo with 138 hp not unsimilar to VW's philosophy with their 1.2 and 1.4 l engines. VW 1.4 with "Intergrale" type technology puts out 185 hp.

But really it should be in the Fiesta or even Focus to get maximum performance. Maybe later?

The most important figure performance wise is torque and I haven't read anything on that.

• Like 1

Thought interesting, Nissan have brought out their version of a London Taxi. The 2.5 diesel has gone, replaced by a 1.6 petrol engine with CVT tans. Emissions are lower and MPG is up from 32 to 38 MPG.

post-41816-0-59254900-1399695892_thumb.j

Dude, he's only got enough spare coin for the baht bus, once every third day ;)

• Like 1

Thought interesting, Nissan have brought out their version of a London Taxi. The 2.5 diesel has gone, replaced by a 1.6 petrol engine with CVT tans. Emissions are lower and MPG is up from 32 to 38 MPG.

attachicon.gifnissan_nv200_taxi_profile.jpg

Geely still makes the 'orignal" ones. I guess whichever ones the Cabbies like best will come out on top?

Edited by VocalNeal

Geely still makes the 'orignal" ones. I guess whichever ones the Cabbies like best will come out on top?

Yep, MB use a steering rear axle on the Vito/Viano taxi to solve this.

Yep, MB use a steering rear axle on the Vito/Viano taxi to solve this.

Edit: replied to another comment. I'm replying to the PCO's 25 foot turning circle requirement

Another interesting thing about the Ford engine is that it has an timing belt in oil. I'm sure in a few years they will all have that as VW already uses a belt in oil for on on it diesel engines oil pump drive. The other maybe disconcerting thing about the Ford engine is the ECU controlled oil pump. < "windows system shutdown">

• Like 1

That's just it from service to service no attention to the tyres are required any problem and it comes up on the dashboard and your chauffeur takes it in for a check.biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

Now who remembers the BL Morris Marina AND rather forget...........bah.gif ............I do.

If you wanted to do a simple clutch plate change on it there was a weeeeeeeeee problem, what was it.......?......whistling.gif

NO.biggrin.png

Hmmmmm, old UK mechanics will know, any out there.........smile.png

You had to remove the engine and gearbox completely as you couldn't get the bolts when it was in the car

Good enough, BL designed it rolleyes.gif so you couldn't pull the gearbox off the engine, the bell housing hit the bulkhead rolleyes.gif .

I did it by taking off the engine mounts an dropping the engine.......bah.gif

NO.biggrin.png

Hmmmmm, old UK mechanics will know, any out there.........smile.png

You had to remove the engine and gearbox completely as you couldn't get the bolts when it was in the car

Good enough, BL designed it rolleyes.gif so you couldn't pull the gearbox off the engine, the bell housing hit the bulkhead rolleyes.gif .

I did it by taking off the engine mounts an dropping the engine.......bah.gif

Something similar,

Which car did you need to drop the front suspension on to remove the engine and gearbox ? ( British make ), no surprise.

Edited by overherebc

Dunno.........Probably a transverse BL ride.

Standard 8. Had two big vertical bolts that held the front suspension in place. When you undid them the suspension dropped down and forward. In the up position it stopped you lifting the engine because it would catch the funny shaped oil sump.

• Like 1