Auto Trivia

bazmlb

Dont forget the Daimler / Jag V8 that was put to sleep by William Lyons.He didnt want Rover to have so hence it was of G.M. they bought the rights. Politics at work.coffee1.gif

I loved the Daimler (Hemi) V8 ( 2.5 & 4.5)..........Triumph V8..............bah.gif

( Ki Gas ) ?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No googling now smile.png , in my opinion the Chevy small block V8 engine is one of the best most simplistic engineering manufacture designs ever and is still going strong near 60 years on.

My question, how many do you think have been produced ?

No takers eh....smile.png

Well,...........100,000,000 (and still counting) have been produced..............whistling.gif

OK, more smile.png .

You have all heard of Nitrous Oxide injection to make instant HP. The N2O is not the propellant, it just provides Oxygen to an additional measured amount of fuel.

The additional fuel in a regular nitrous hoped up ride is delivered at between 6 to 9 psi.

What optimum pressure is the nitrous oxide injected at to mix with the 6 to 9 psi fuel. ?

What a fascinating amazing and informative thread. clap2.gif

Just to add my little bit here is a photo I came across on another thread, can any one identify this engine?

attachicon.gifRotary Engine!.jpg

biggrin.png

No, laugh.png but it did or dose have a propeller in operation..........smile.png

Sounds like it was a Non-Running one-off Pratt & Whitney - so yes a propeller would have been in order wink.png

Quote:-

"Pratt & Whitney 5600XBSAP

It was apparently on display at the Reno Air Races, and I've found pictures from different angles; so I'm guessing it's not 'shopped.

I found a website where there is speculation that it is a non-running 'one-off' design. I haven't been able to find anything about it; whether it ever ran, or if it was a mock-up. AFAIK, the biggest radial P&W built was the R4360, which had 28 cylinders. This one has 56, so I assume it was made of two R4360s stacked together. But was it ever intended to run?"

OK, more smile.png .

You have all heard of Nitrous Oxide injection to make instant HP. The N2O is not the propellant, it just provides Oxygen to an additional measured amount of fuel.

The additional fuel in a regular nitrous hoped up ride is delivered at between 6 to 9 psi.

What optimum pressure is the nitrous oxide injected at to mix with the 6 to 9 psi fuel. ?

Laughing Gascheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .sorry.gif

OK, more smile.png .

Laughing Gascheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .sorry.gif

Ki-Gas..............smile.png ...........................facepalm.gif ?

OK, more smile.png .

No takers ...................N2O is injected at around1000psi, yes 1000psi.....w00t.gif ... from a cylinder/bottle.

Its recommended solvent was Meths; petrol, oil, kerosene would have no effect on it and it would never harden. Required a minute amount on each face to be effective. Still about the best of its type on the market.

It didn't work on my hedder flanges sad.png . I found a ''copper'' silicone sealer, it worked. Course when I applied it I had to start the engine to blast away sqeased out internal stuff, but it worked...thumbsup.gif

Worked pretty well on hastily built 12 cylinder supercharged monsters though.

And why did I have a problem and perhaps the Merlin didn't on the hedder (exhaust manifold) flanges ? smile.png

They were cast iron?

Its recommended solvent was Meths; petrol, oil, kerosene would have no effect on it and it would never harden. Required a minute amount on each face to be effective. Still about the best of its type on the market.

It didn't work on my hedder flanges sad.png . I found a ''copper'' silicone sealer, it worked. Course when I applied it I had to start the engine to blast away sqeased out internal stuff, but it worked...thumbsup.gif

Worked pretty well on hastily built 12 cylinder supercharged monsters though.

And why did I have a problem and perhaps the Merlin didn't on the hedder (exhaust manifold) flanges ? smile.png

They were cast iron?

Look at post #137...

Dont forget the Daimler / Jag V8 that was put to sleep by William Lyons.He didnt want Rover to have so hence it was of G.M. they bought the rights. Politics at work.coffee1.gif

I think this Willy Lyons story is somewhat apocryphal. At the time the British Motor industry was going downhill fast and merging into that abomination BL. Problem being they didn't want to be making several V*s - not a format used in the Brit industry that much and Rover had been developing the Buick/GM thing for a long time, Triumph had their stag and Daimler had theirs - simply too many. Yes - Hassan and co were the originators of the inline 6 at Jag and were pretty possessive about it, but they were out producing Daimlers and when you are trying to streamline product and production it didn't make sense to have that many V8s being made. The Daimler "hemi" was not without its problems either - there had been a lot of problems associated with getting the heads to fit....

The stark overview of the British Motor industry in the 60s and 70s was that they had a wide range of products (too wide to be economical) and none of them was actually very good when it came to competing on a world market.

Edited by wilcopops

From factory the Pontiac did have cast iron exhaust manifolds that required a fork lift to remove/install laugh.png . Of course with my tunning it needed tubed manifolds with larger primaries. The head bolt location was the problem. As I wanted 2" primaries A flange was installed using countersunk headed bolts, then the manifolds were bolted to these.

Can just see in my photo.

post-41816-0-95345800-1391410769_thumb.j

The First Tubo Production Car. Who Made it.?. Dont Google and spoil it, ive done that, and i was miles out, and surprised.facepalm.gif

I thought perhaps Saab 99.....whistling.gif

I would have gone Saab, but now you've said it isn't and without Google Corvair turbo? Or whatever Ralf Nadder's favourite flat six was called.

The First Tubo Production Car. Who Made it.?. Dont Google and spoil it, ive done that, and i was miles out, and surprised.facepalm.gif

I would have gone Saab, but now you've said it isn't and without Google Corvair turbo? Or whatever Ralf Nadder's favourite flat six was called.

Old's.........smile.png

I think the reason for my seal problem is clear looking at the photos, Merlin had 4 bolts per exhaust port and no exhaust system to navigate and operated at under 3000rpm, my Pontiac had 2 bolts for 2 outer ports and 2 bolts for the Siamese ports and operated up to just under 7000rpm through an exhaust system. Plus my ports were opened up bigger than those in the photo.

attachicon.gifMerlin heads.jpg............attachicon.gifPontiac head.jpg

Not sure but we may have had less and we were pulling up to 8,000rpm and ridiculously under-square! ( insert train wreck smiley)

ap-6050-100e-2.jpg

Extra points for the engine.

Edited by VocalNeal

Old's.........smile.png

I cheated so know I know. Brings the forum back to the Rover 2000 sort of?