Credit Check Ofshore for Onshore Credit Card

Kinda strange, the wife said it would be easier if i get a onshore credit card for my flights (phuket - BKK -MTC-HK) weekly/monthly/quarterly, yearly, so i went to SCB, and did all the paperwork as one does, called them a month later, and asked if there was an update, get called back, go in and resign, leave another 2 weeks, get another call and asked to go in and write a "home address" in a foreign country.

Naturally i have assets in the Spain, so write this, OOPS need to refill in as UK passport, so needs to be UK address, to be fair, i sold up my house and apartment there so thats 3 years out of date, but they still require.

but the question is why???

for a off-shore credit check?

for the record, good banking history with BKK Bank, SCB, SC, Amex, Citi in Thailand, no more than 250K in the bank as paid 120K net onshore and the rest offshore as int comp the rest in HK.

Long established working history with company, company uses SCB Branch for business banking with salary of 6+ million out a month on-shore salaries, so they like the company (not -mine) but treat me as respect as i deal with them.

Pretty much all there is to it, i completely forgot following last fridays events but curiosity got me this morning when filling in the Europe address.

Edited by Jameskrabi

Expect the banks have run into a lot of farangs who seeming would be a good credit risk when only looking at their financial activity in Thailand, but when looking at their credit activity in their home country/outside Thailand they find the person is a credit disaster (not to imply anything) and may even be on the run from the law. Plus, even with great in-Thailand credit history the banks know a farang could run-up big unpaid bills real fast and then just leave Thailand for good/for years...basically out of the reach of the bank. But for a Thai, just running off from unpaid bills by leaving the country for a long time/permanently is much harder & unlikely.

Also, sounds like you are trying to get an "unsecured" credit card which are tough for most farangs to get in Thailand; but if you wanted a "secured" credit card that's pretty much an automatic approval/no credit check since the card is backed by the locked/secured deposit you must put with the bank. But with a secured card you are really just spending your own money...the bank basically has zero risk. But if needing a Thai credit card for certain things then a secured credit card fills the bill....works just like an unsecured card.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Expect the banks have run into a lot of farangs who seeming would be a good credit risk when only looking at their financial activity in Thailand, but when looking at their credit activity in their home country/outside Thailand they find the person is a credit disaster (not to imply anything) and may even be on the run from the law. Plus, even with great in-Thailand credit history the banks know a farang could run-up big unpaid bills real fast and then just leave Thailand for good/for years...basically out of the reach of the bank. But for a Thai, just running off from unpaid bills by leaving the country for a long time/permanently is much harder & unlikely.

Strange, i never imagined they would be on par with our banking systems, as far as im concerned everything is ok, however the credit check on the particular address will be 3 years out of date thus pointless in my eyes, but there you go :)

I always thought it was done in country :)

Strange, i never imagined they would be on par with our banking systems, as far as im concerned everything is ok, however the credit check on the particular address will be 3 years out of date thus pointless in my eyes, but there you go smile.png

I always thought it was done in country smile.png

Well, I hope they aren't just giving you the run around by dragging out the process...Thai's have a hard time just saying No early in the process...they much prefer to avoid saying No at all or drag out a process until you just stop asking them for a status update. But good luck.

I'm just going through the process with Citi after they 'invited' me to apply via my Thai ROP membership. Nothing in the application this far about UK addresses.

I already have an ROP AmEx card, there was no UK check when I got that one either (in 2011).

• Like 1

I'm just going through the process with Citi after they 'invited' me to apply via my Thai ROP membership. Nothing in the application this far about UK addresses.

I already have an ROP AmEx card, there was no UK check when i got that one either (in 2011).

Maybe just Thai banks do int checks?

Never had a check with Citi or Standard Chartered either, but then again they see my investments with them, and good current account management directly so would not need to do a int check i guess?

Find it strange as i have nothing in the UK now (JUST THE EX Wife 55555) so i am unsure as to why they would ask for this information.

• 2 weeks later...

Well some feed back .... Took almost two months but received a call from scb today.

All ok ready to pick up next week limit is low - 500k compared to my American Express or European or Singapore cards.

But pretty good I've been told by friends .

So head in to scb for Credit cards

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app