What Sandwich do you wish you could find here and if you do where in Pattaya?

TheWizardofRnR

Rich Man Poor Man on Soi 9 Jomtien has a full range of US sandwiches including Pastrami, Reubens, Philly Cheese steak, meatball subs and the list goes on. I only found this place at the weekend so cannot tell you what they are all like but I guarantee that I will know. The food I had was excellent.

And what did you have, and how much was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually a good soup and sandwich is an excellent lunch or dinner ,but what soups....a deli needs Jewish Penicillin ,

a recipe for Chicken Noodle I learned from my Babysiter Mrs. Kravitz a great Mom and human being ,who I learned allot about Jewish Delis from that lady!

A good bowl of Chili is cool too ,

I learned that in Manhattan at The Riviera ,great side-walk cafe in Greenwich Vilage 4th& &7 th Ave.

The chip buttie is an old English favorite of many years, the question of whether or not it's healthy is academic, it isn't, but they are very enjoyable provided all the ingredients are done properly, you should try one JT, just for the experience.

It sounds disgusting, but as it's fried and unhealthy, there is little doubt that I would like it.

Dont forget lashings of salt and vinegar to top it off, yes you will love it.

Another personal favourite of mine (dont bother reading JT), black pudding on a roll topped off with HP Brown sauce.

Why is it so hard to get a decent sandwich in this country?

JT what happened to that deli/Mexican place in Jomtien?

They used to sell an excellent Reubens.

If you've got access to a frying pan and a single burner stove (or better) the sandwiches described here are not difficult to make, it might get expensive buying all the ingredients for a single sandwich but if you figure that you might make several over the course of a week, it becomes cost effective, assuming you've got a decent refrigerator - finding the ingredients here these days is not difficult, ten years ago lots of substitutions had to be made and the end result wasn't always great, today it's a walk in the park.

For me, my once a month treat (because I'm diabetic) is a grilled Reuben, 150 grams of good quality pastrami sliced super thin costs about 125 baht, Thai sauerkraut is decent quality, cheap and readily available - Elemental cheese or similar is not cheap at 175 baht a pack (figure 6 sandwiches per pack) - rye bread or similar is cheap at 60 baht, in my neck of the woods, try it!.

Edited by chiang mai

The chip buttie is an old English favorite of many years, the question of whether or not it's healthy is academic, it isn't, but they are very enjoyable provided all the ingredients are done properly, you should try one JT, just for the experience.

Yes, I'm sure but if I'm looking to gain 5 kilos from one meal, I can think of more delicious ways to do it ...

Yanks seem to have that ability on lock down.... are you serious in thinking us Brits eat chip buttys everyday?

Pattaya has imitations on all food a plenty, very hard to find the real thing...even khao man gai thumbsup.gif

Zabar's where I bought a few gadgets like my Bagel Slicer...we had great bagels in Phuket

,I wonder if they'd ship to us here ,they made our Jewish caraway rye.....also the person who put Pastrami on their Reuben , a true Reuben is Corned Beef ,when Pastrami is used slaw for kraut is substituted... and its a Rachel ! Lots of NY places use to serve with Russian Dressing !

Here is their complete menu with prices:

http://richmanpoorman.net/restaurant-bar.html

My opinion is that this place has some decent enough food but don't go in there expecting Katz's Deli!
Also the "atmosphere" isn't for everyone.
You'll know what I mean if you visit.

Zabar's?

Western Sandwich:

lightly fry chopped onion and chopped ham

pour in a lightly beaten egg, mix together in the pan

square it up as it firms and flip

lay some chedder over the top to melt

Put between some toast with mayo.

Yum

Western Sandwich:

Yum

Weird...would this be some English delicacy?

Canada if anything I guess. Try it, bet you'll love it.

Western Sandwich:

Yum

Weird....why would you say that?

Western Sandwich:

Yum

Weird....why would you say that?

Just never heard of or seen such a sandwich...I guess it hasn't migrated south from Canada yet.

A (hot) roast pork, with stuffing and gravy, in a baguette (some pork crackling too).

Used to be able to get them years ago in The George & Dragon (Soi Xcyte), but haven't seen / heard of anywhere else since.

If anyone does know of somewhere doing a reasonable one, please advise.

The 'Oz Burgers' van on the juncton of Soi Diana and Buakhao (sp) do a good 'hot' roast beef and onion baguette with horseradish (if required) tell them to grill the bread though, my one was way too soft and it just fell apart, but the filling is very good.

I was In Phnom Penh recently, shame I never knew about fat boys then sad.png

An Aussie burger does not have horseradish. They should be sued. And if it did not have beetroot, it was a fake.

We are not talking about burgers, Go back and read my post a

We're not talking aboutr baguettes,go back and read your post again.

I wonder if their are customers for Soft shell crab Po-boy Sandwiches , Shrimp Po-boys and Shrimp Roll Subs, after all it is a seaside resort? I think the way to find out is do a poll ,list about ten great sandwiches and see what

readers pick as their top 5 ??? but all they need do is check them off , its hard to figure from all you members posting, but Philly Cheese-steaks ,Reubens and BBQ pulled Pork seemed the most mentioned so far!

The King of sandwiches - the internationally famous Chip Butty clap2.gif

I think the international fame that comes from a chip butty is when Brits are traveling. I can assure you that the vast majority of people in my home country couldn't tell you what a chip butty is (thankfully LOL). I remember having lunch with some English friends and one of them asked me if was going to finish my 'chips'. as they were not to my liking, i.e. limp and greasy, I gladly gave them up, The next thing I see is the guy putting them between two pieces of buttered white bread and gobbling it down with great pleasure. I was surprised as i had never heard of such a strange combination. Each to his own, but I have never been tempted to try this all-carbohydrate sandwich.

I make potato chip sandwiches. two slices of bread mayonnaise and potato chips.

• Like 2

I would LOVE to be able to get a good hot turkey sandwich with gravy and I don't care where in Pattaya I had to go to get it !!!!!!

I agree completely (yikes!).

cool.png

I am sorry but how can something that is covered in Gravy, requires eating utensils and is not contained between two bits of bread be called a sandwich?

• Like 1

I think the international fame that comes from a chip butty is when Brits are traveling. I can assure you that the vast majority of people in my home country couldn't tell you what a chip butty is (thankfully LOL). I remember having lunch with some English friends and one of them asked me if was going to finish my 'chips'. as they were not to my liking, i.e. limp and greasy, I gladly gave them up, The next thing I see is the guy putting them between two pieces of buttered white bread and gobbling it down with great pleasure. I was surprised as i had never heard of such a strange combination. Each to his own, but I have never been tempted to try this all-carbohydrate sandwich.

I did give you a like for your sandwich but would need to discuss whether you were actually using crisps

I do apologise my internet/ISP seems to have me making double posts

Edited by RabC

Hopefully this will only appear once.

So I am not accused of only detracting from the thread. One of my favourites from Spain was a Grilled/Toasted Serano Ham and Roquefort sandwich.

Edited by RabC

I did give you a like for your sandwich but would need to discuss whether you were actually using crisps

I usually use Lays potato chips that i get at the local mini tesco.

A (hot) roast pork, with stuffing and gravy, in a baguette (some pork crackling too).

Used to be able to get them years ago in The George & Dragon (Soi Xcyte), but haven't seen / heard of anywhere else since.

If anyone does know of somewhere doing a reasonable one, please advise.

Don't know where to get them like this in Thai but this is my favorite also but with just a bit of apple sauce on there as well.

So I am not accused of only detracting from the thread. One of my favourites from Spain was a Grilled/Toasted Serano Ham and Roquefort sandwich.

RabC how much did it cost in Spain figured in Baht, since Serrano varies from 8-900B a kilo or more and cheapest Roquefort here is over 1000B a kilo to almost 2000B...so to make it here it we would have to sell for

600B and thats on the cheaper end probably more !

RabC how much did it cost in Spain figured in Baht, since Serrano varies from 8-900B a kilo or more and cheapest Roquefort here is over 1000B a kilo to almost 2000B...so to make it here it we would have to sell for

i find one way to get around the high cost of bleu or gorganzola is to make a spread or a dressing and use that on the sandwich, or as a dip on the side.

back in 2000 i opened an American style diner in Jomtien near the Hunaman statue with my UK partner. it was called Jigsaw, and despite the critical acclaim from the local press and our customers we sold the place and shut the doors after a year for lack of sufficient trade ... but back in 2000 Jomtien was still considered to be the darkside of the moon and the local population of expats and the number of tourists was a fraction of what it is now, and TH was still suffering from the crash of the baht which was good for tourists but not local businesses ... most of the sois running off of the beach were nothing but abandoined shells of condos and retail shops.

this was the sanwqich section of ourt menu ... BTW: the BBQ Pork S/W on the butter-grilled Kaiser roll was the biggest seller ... note the price structure form 2000.

HOT & HEAVY HANDFULL SANDWICHES

ITEMS # 40 THRU 42 ARE ALL SERVED ON A SOFT LONG ROLL

ITEMS # 43 & 44 ARE BOTH SERVED ON MANFRED’S KAISER ROLL

40.) Steak & Cheese—Grilled Sliced Steak, Mushrooms and Onions with Melted Cheese, Coleslaw, French Fries and a Pickle 160B

41.) Cajun Chicken--Blackened Chicken Meat, Grilled Mushrooms & Onions and Remoulade Sauce Served with Coleslaw, French Fries and a Pickle 100B

42.) Oven-baked Ham & Cheese Served with Coleslaw French Fries and a Pickle 100B

43.) Oven-baked Eggplant Parmesan—Fried Eggplant Slices Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese Served with French Fries 90B

44.) Oven-baked Chicken Parmesan—Fried Breaded Boneless Chicken Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese Served with French Fries 100B

45.) Oven-baked Sausage and Peppers--Grilled Italian Style Sausages, Onions and Sweet Peppers with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese Served with French Fries 150B

46.) Cajun Fish Fillet—Blackened Pla Krapong, Lettuce, Tomato and Remoulade Sauce Served with Coleslaw French Fries and a Pickle 135B

47.) Western Omelet—with OR without Cheese Served with French Fries 95B

48.) jigsaw Sandwich of the Day Priced Accordingly

OVER-SIZED, STEAMING HOT, OPEN-FACED AMERICAN DINER STYLE SANDWICHES ON TEXAS BREAD

WITH GRAVY, MASHED POTATOES AND BUTTERED VEGETABLES

50.) Roast Beef 160B

51.) Roast Pork 130B

52.) Grilled Chicken 125B

53.) Ground Beef Steak 130B

BIG HOT FAT AND SLOPPY B-B-Q SANDWICHES ON A BUTTER-GRILLED KAISER ROLL

ALL ARE SERVED WITH COLESLAW AND FRENCH FRIES

57.)Your Choice of:

A.) Chicken 95B

B.) Beef 135B

C.) Pork 100B

SUPER SANDWICH CONSTRUCTIONS 3-D TEXAS TOAST BREAD OR A SOFT LONG ROLL

ALL MADE WITH LETTUCE, TOMATO & MAYONNAISE & ALL ARE SERVED WITH COLESLAW, FRENCH FRIES & A PICKLE

60.) Ham 90B

61.) Cheese 90B

62.) Ham & Cheese 100B

63.) Roast Pork 95B

64.) Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato 85B

65.) Classic American Club House 115B

66.) Tuna, Caper & Olive Salad 115B

67.) Chicken Breast 100B

68.) Egg Salad 85B

69.) Jigsaw Sanwich of the Day Priced Accordingly

Edited by mtnthai
  • Like 1

i find one way to get around the high cost of bleu or gorganzola is to make a spread or a dressing and use that on the sandwich, or as a dip on the side.

back in 2000 i opened an American style diner in Jomtien near the Hunaman statue with my UK partner. it was called Jigsaw, and despite the critical acclaim from the local press and our customers we sold the place and shut the doors after a year for lack of sufficient trade ... but back in 2000 Jomtien was still considered to be the darkside of the moon and the local population of expats and the number of tourists was a fraction of what it is now, and TH was still suffering from the crash of the baht which was good for tourists but not local businesses ... most of the sois running off of the beach were nothing but abandoined shells of condos and retail shops.

this was the sanwqich section of ourt menu ... BTW: the BBQ Pork S/W on the butter-grilled Kaiser roll was the biggest seller ... note the price structure form 2000.

HOT & HEAVY HANDFULL SANDWICHES

ITEMS # 40 THRU 42 ARE ALL SERVED ON A SOFT LONG ROLL

ITEMS # 43 & 44 ARE BOTH SERVED ON MANFRED’S KAISER ROLL

40.) Steak & Cheese—Grilled Sliced Steak, Mushrooms and Onions with Melted Cheese, Coleslaw, French Fries and a Pickle 160B

41.) Cajun Chicken--Blackened Chicken Meat, Grilled Mushrooms & Onions and Remoulade Sauce Served with Coleslaw, French Fries and a Pickle 100B

42.) Oven-baked Ham & Cheese Served with Coleslaw French Fries and a Pickle 100B

43.) Oven-baked Eggplant Parmesan—Fried Eggplant Slices Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese Served with French Fries 90B

44.) Oven-baked Chicken Parmesan—Fried Breaded Boneless Chicken Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese Served with French Fries 100B

45.) Oven-baked Sausage and Peppers--Grilled Italian Style Sausages, Onions and Sweet Peppers with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese Served with French Fries 150B

46.) Cajun Fish Fillet—Blackened Pla Krapong, Lettuce, Tomato and Remoulade Sauce Served with Coleslaw French Fries and a Pickle 135B

47.) Western Omelet—with OR without Cheese Served with French Fries 95B

48.) jigsaw Sandwich of the Day Priced Accordingly

OVER-SIZED, STEAMING HOT, OPEN-FACED AMERICAN DINER STYLE SANDWICHES ON TEXAS BREAD

WITH GRAVY, MASHED POTATOES AND BUTTERED VEGETABLES

50.) Roast Beef 160B

51.) Roast Pork 130B

52.) Grilled Chicken 125B

53.) Ground Beef Steak 130B

BIG HOT FAT AND SLOPPY B-B-Q SANDWICHES ON A BUTTER-GRILLED KAISER ROLL

ALL ARE SERVED WITH COLESLAW AND FRENCH FRIES

57.)Your Choice of:

A.) Chicken 95B

B.) Beef 135B

C.) Pork 100B

SUPER SANDWICH CONSTRUCTIONS 3-D TEXAS TOAST BREAD OR A SOFT LONG ROLL

ALL MADE WITH LETTUCE, TOMATO & MAYONNAISE & ALL ARE SERVED WITH COLESLAW, FRENCH FRIES & A PICKLE

60.) Ham 90B

61.) Cheese 90B

62.) Ham & Cheese 100B

63.) Roast Pork 95B

64.) Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato 85B

65.) Classic American Club House 115B

66.) Tuna, Caper & Olive Salad 115B

67.) Chicken Breast 100B

68.) Egg Salad 85B

69.) Jigsaw Sanwich of the Day Priced Accordingly

Same thing in Phuket ,due to the drop off after economic downturn in '08 plus its just lost all its comrade-ship ,guess they got too old ! Yet, I constantly heard people say "we dont go to Patong much anymore"...that's where our Deli and frozen foods biz was. Your Menu was very similar to my DERBY KING on Patpong , a Deli& Diner ,plus some items on the Menu at Bourbon St. in Bangkok when I was a Chef - teacher to Doug's cooks in '88.

Edited by TheWizardofRnR