Anti-Election Protesters Intercept Ballots At Laksi

Lite Beer

Anti-Election Protesters Intercept Ballots At Laksi

By Kkaosod English.

13911512381391151416l.jpg

BANGKOK; -- Anti-election protesters have besieged Laksi Area Office in Bangkok to withhold the distribution of ballot papers and ballot boxes.

The protesters, who are supporters of the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), marched from their campsite on Chaeng Wattana Road to the district office at around 10.00 today.

PCAD has vowed to disrupt the 2 February election in order to pave way for the formation of an unelected "People′s Council" which would rule Thailand as a transitional government.

The Buddhist monk activist, Luang Phu Buddha Issara, led the protesters at Laksi Area Office, where he demanded that the Director of Laksi Area, who also serves overseer of Bangkok′s 11th voting constituency, immediately stopped distributing equipment to polling stations in the vicinity, such as ballot papers and ballot boxes.

The monk claimed that the the ballot papers were "poisonous fruits of poisonous trees", referring to the 2 February election. He also warned that should the election go ahead, much violence and deaths would take place.

PCAD guards later closed down roads at will around the Area Office, such as Soi Chaeng Wattana 10, claiming they had to set up security measures in order to prevent attacks on protesters from armed elements.

However, many officials complained to our correspondents that they had already been facing great difficulty in their commuting to work, since the protesters also shut down the nearby Chaeng Wattana Road.

It is unclear whether the protesters would camp around the Area Office until election day.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1URTFNVEl6T0E9PQ==&sectionid=TURFd01BPT0=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-31

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And where were the Royal Thai Police while this was going on.

. Farcical

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

C'mon, no helmet fines= karaoke, booze brothels: priorities.

That sounds great I want to become policemen as well....

The idea of "Reform before Election" came after the parliament was dissolved. The DEM demanded the Parliament be dissolved and when it happened, they boycotted it. Before this, the Government initiated a Reform Forum but that was boycotted by the DEM as well.

It is an excuse to hide their fear of the people mandate. They rejected all reform initiatives and demanded that only their 'people council' with members nominated exclusively by the DEM's PDRC/PCAD 'executives'.

You can't really demand "Reform before election" when there is no election planned.

PCAD actually demanded that Yingluck step down (as in RESIGN) and a "people's council" be appointed. They didn't want parliament dissolved for an immediate election. They wanted reform and then an election in 12 months.

The idea of "Reform before Election" came after the parliament was dissolved. The DEM demanded the Parliament be dissolved and when it happened, they boycotted it. Before this, the Government initiated a Reform Forum but that was boycotted by the DEM as well.

It is an excuse to hide their fear of the people mandate. They rejected all reform initiatives and demanded that only their 'people council' with members nominated exclusively by the DEM's PDRC/PCAD 'executives'.

No the demand was to get rid of the Shinawatra clan controlling Thailand!

And the election was their trick to continue.....(ala Thaksin 2006)

• Like 2

They have "Absolute Democracy" in their name but block elections and want a communist-style people's council.

This might be just the most ridiculous bunch of people in history.

They will certainly take some beating to the title.Even the Dems have been backing away as quietly as they can.

• Like 1

You can't really demand "Reform before election" when there is no election planned.

PCAD actually demanded that Yingluck step down (as in RESIGN) and a "people's council" be appointed. They didn't want parliament dissolved for an immediate election. They wanted reform and then an election in 12 months.

You should go back to the very beginning and reread. because that is exactly what he wanted. He is lieing to you and the others and when you finally relize it it will be too late.

No you are wrong. Suthep's first demands were to dissolve parlament and demanded anew election which is just what she gave him. You should wake up, he lies. all he wants is a dictatorship with him as the dictator.

He is flip flopping since December and everyone that can't see it is probably wearing a whistle around his neck. Just like he said he will not block elections, but then seizes ballots or locks the gates so voters can't enter. When they try and climb on top, they get beat up.

If this is his governing style when he doesn't even have power yet, imagine how it will be when he does get power. You will have more freedoms in China than in Thailand under Suthep.

• Like 2

Election = trick = Wow!

• Like 1

You should go back to the very beginning and reread. because that is exactly what he wanted. He is lieing to you and the others and when you finally relize it it will be too late.

Can you please link to something where he was asking for immediate elections? I can't find anything.

Election = trick = Wow!

My 8 year old wouldn't believe that!

• Like 2

More crap! how do you expect a government that has proven track record of corruption and incompetence form a forum for the changes to the constitution that are needed, and expect that to be unbiased?

The forum was so successful it isn't even sitting now to discuss the changes, Which show just how sincere PTP were with that forum!

Also the Dems resigned from government before any dissolution, it was after they resigned the government dissolved parliament. and the reform forum was last month not before PTP dissolved parliament.

If you can't get your facts right, then don't post this BS and expect anyone to believe it!

Demanding that PM Yingluck to step down (as in RESIGN) and a "People's Council be appointed using intimidation and threat is not democratic process. Furthermore, PM Yingluck initiated a reform forum even before there was a DEM's PDRC/PCAD but the DEM rejected it.

"Reform before Election" came from a confrontational attitude to avoid the mandate of the people rather than solution to the needs for reforms.It came after the election was announced as a reaction The formation and make-up of the 'people's council' exclude anyone who is not the DEM's PDRC/PCAD.

It is not a solution but an excuse and a pretext to gain power without the mandate of the people.

Reforms cannot be completed in a year and the DEM's PDRC/PCAD reform agenda is fussy. Therefore the Government has also initiated a reform council to run parallel to the election and any party that form the government vowed to continue reforming.

whistling.gif I came back today through a protest march.

No problem at all except slow going due to people waking in the road.

Taxi driver was just waved through by the protester's security guards.

Many of the protesters were wearing a "No Vote" sign on their clothes.

I asked the taxi driver to stop so I could buy or ask for one that I could wear, but he didn't want to stop because of the crowd walking by.

Many of the election posters that were put up in the last few days by the government party are now plastered with "No Vote" signs.

Yingluck's face was a particular target (I didn't realize she had a big black mustache)

If I could have got a No Vote sticker I would have pasted it on the back of my shirt to wear, even though I am not Thai and so can't vote anyhow.

rolleyes.gif

More crap! how do you expect a government that has proven track record of corruption and incompetence form a forum for the changes to the constitution that are needed, and expect that to be unbiased?

The forum was so successful it isn't even sitting now to discuss the changes, Which show just how sincere PTP were with that forum!

Also the Dems resigned from government before any dissolution, it was after they resigned the government dissolved parliament. and the reform forum was last month not before PTP dissolved parliament.

If you can't get your facts right, then don't post this BS and expect anyone to believe it!

1. Where is the proven track record of corruption and incompetence.

2. I did not argue whether the government initiative on a reform council headed by Banharn Silipa Archa is successful or not. I was pointing out the fact that it was there before there is a DEM's PDRC/PCAD

3. I don't know what you are talking about on:

"Also the Dems resigned from government before any dissolution, it was after they resigned the government dissolved parliament. and the reform forum was last month not before PTP dissolved parliament."

"If you can't get your facts right, then don't post this BS and expect anyone to believe it!"

Are you intimidating me. I will not be intimidated to stop sharing. You don't have to agreed with me and you are entitleld to your opinions but you don't have to use BS.