I Dont Understand Why Rich Thais In Bangkok Buy Expensive Cars

crazyguyinthailand

You buy something ridiculously expensive and impractical to show that you can. It's not just limited to Thailand or cars. Nobody needs a wristwatch that costs as much as a car, a car that costs as much as a house, or a yacht that can house a village. Insecure people with money buy these things to show off their wealth.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if I had 1000 million baht and lived in BKK I would never ever buy a car like that. I would go for a motorbike...

The reason I'm posting this is that today...

I was waiting for the free bus going to Big C shopping. and I saw this Thai man sitting in a brand new white shining Mercedes cabriolet stuck in traffic between the buses.

then the green envy took hold of me and i cursed this Thai man because he will later sip an expensive bottle of wine to go with his steak and lobster while i heat up hot water for a pack of the mama noodles i bought in Big C.

laugh.png

• Like 1

I guess if you are going to be spending substantial amounts of time in your car and can afford it then why not buy something nice and comfortable? Unless you feel the people in those cars would be happier spending the same time on a bus.

or on a motorcycle cheesy.gif

• Like 1

In the US, wasting money is stupid. In Thailand it is Big Face.

I spent 20k rebuilding and old Jeep - my F-I-L wqs quick to tell everyone I spent 150k.

Here, the more you waste the bigger and more stupid you are.

right you are! because only stupid people make big money and spend big money. the intelligent ones (IQ most probably 150+) buy old jeeps and rebuild them.

coffee1.gif

You buy something ridiculously expensive and impractical to show that you can. It's not just limited to Thailand or cars. Nobody needs a wristwatch that costs as much as a car, a car that costs as much as a house, or a yacht that can house a village. Insecure people with money buy these things to show off their wealth.

conclusion: secure people don't have money to buy these things to show off their wealth?

There are practical reasons for driving a more expensive car, my Mercedes has heated and air conditioned seats, split temperature controls so it's warm enough for your Thai passanger and cool enough for farang drivers, carbon hepa air filters so you can't smell the city, nicer stereo and it's so well soundproofed that you barely hear all the racket outside. Driving in stop-and-go traffic is easier with distronic proximity control and adaptive braking. It's not as fas as the BTS or MRT in getting across the city but if you're going somewhere not served by the lines, it's a lot more comfortable.

some months ago when i mentioned that my wife's Benz CLS has airconditioned seats the looks on the face of my counterpart said "airconditioned seats? what a lying braggart!"

then i added "she doesn't really care but her driver enjoys them." result: the expression on his face was priceless.

laugh.png

sounds more like you are jealous and can't afford a supercar, but sure if you happy taking the bus with your issan wife..enjoy!

I think that the point is trying to show us has nothing to be with jealous . From my side , If i were super rich i would not even drive myself , they will drive for me . The only cars i will drive would be in a track something like a Ferrari or Porsche when i just wanted to enjoy driving those machines

I understand the point that is non sense to buy those kind of cars to be stacked in a Bangkok traffic jam for 40 minutes to advance 3 Kms... but also think that as a rich guy he think that he must show his status and he cant go around driving a cheap car , even if that is not smart or convenient at all .

Edited by Wavnarok

Why would you buy a Benz when you can reach the same place with a Nissan Micra?

Why would you buy a few big houses when all you need is a one bedroom flat?

Why would you fly first class when you can make plenty of great new friends in the cattle class?

Why would you drive a Lamborghini when you know you will be following slow trucks most of the time?

Why would you want to build an extra large swimming pool while you can chill as well when taking a quick shower?

Why would you buy a million baht Breguet watch when a cheap mobile phone already gives you the time?

Why would you need that expensive yacht while you could be spending a great day on a speed boat tour with plenty a nice Chinese families?

But... If you can enjoy these things, why would you keep all your money sleeping on a bank account?

Life is short. Enjoy what you can rolleyes.gif

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some people believe (myself included) that if you are lucky enough to have so much, then you have a responsibility to do something good with it, not just wallow in your own decadence.

Take only what you need, give something back.

Why would you build a whole football stadium for hill tribe youngsters and sponsor their team, while football is free on tv?

You would be surprised how much some people give back after buying their latest Benz :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Why would you build a whole football stadium for hill tribe youngsters and sponsor their team, while football is free on tv?

You would be surprised how much some people give back after buying their latest Benz rolleyes.gif

thank you for this comment! unfortunately it's probably not within the mental grasp of a Farang who waits for a free busride in Bangkok's heat/pollution.

• Like 1

There are practical reasons for driving a more expensive car, my Mercedes has heated and air conditioned seats, split temperature controls so it's warm enough for your Thai passanger and cool enough for farang drivers, carbon hepa air filters so you can't smell the city, nicer stereo and it's so well soundproofed that you barely hear all the racket outside. Driving in stop-and-go traffic is easier with distronic proximity control and adaptive braking. It's not as fas as the BTS or MRT in getting across the city but if you're going somewhere not served by the lines, it's a lot more comfortable.

some months ago when i mentioned that my wife's Benz CLS has airconditioned seats the looks on the face of my counterpart said "airconditioned seats? what a lying braggart!"

then i added "she doesn't really care but her driver enjoys them." result: the expression on his face was priceless.

laugh.png

CLS is a very nice model, by the way. Good choice thumbsup.gif

I spent 20k rebuilding and old Jeep - my F-I-L wqs quick to tell everyone I spent 150k.

right you are! because only stupid people make big money and spend big money. the intelligent ones (IQ most probably 150+) buy old jeeps and rebuild them.

coffee1.gif

Yes, I would agree with that. Anybody who spends hundrrds of thousands of dollars on a car absolutely is stupid

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

laugh.png

personally i prefer to drive a soon 45 year old car (fully airconditioned when driven open) wink.png

post-35218-0-81132300-1391689366_thumb.j

• Like 2

laugh.png

personally i prefer to drive a soon 45 year old car (fully airconditioned when driven open) wink.png

attachicon.gifE1vvs.jpg

Nice car indeed.

Lots of cachet :rolleyes:

I never had an old timer but organized a gathering of classic cars some years ago.

I met many nice people.

On my side I particularly like something a bit faster... But still comfortable too :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone...

Why would you buy a Benz when you can reach the same place with a Nissan Micra?

Why would you buy a few big houses when all you need is a one bedroom flat?

Why would you fly first class when you can make plenty of great new friends in the cattle class?

Why would you drive a Lamborghini when you know you will be following slow trucks most of the time?

Why would you want to build an extra large swimming pool while you can chill as well when taking a quick shower?

Why would you buy a million baht Breguet watch when a cheap mobile phone already gives you the time?

Why would you need that expensive yacht while you could be spending a great day on a speed boat tour with plenty a nice Chinese families?

But... If you can enjoy these things, why would you keep all your money sleeping on a bank account?

Life is short. Enjoy what you can rolleyes.gif

Some people believe (myself included) that if you are lucky enough to have so much, then you have a responsibility to do something good with it, not just wallow in your own decadence.

Take only what you need, give something back.

He may feel he needs it all since he earned it. You have stated your opinion, he has stated his. Perhaps you can see the answer to this OP, and see why the OP asked it.

coffee1.gif

And travel by bus simply because they prefer it. smile.png

If there is an AA for car guys I guess it would be the AAA

Hello, My name is BKK Dreaming and I am a car junkie :(

I spend more time with my cars than my family , I spend more $$$$ on my cars than my family , I often do not eat if I am working on my cars

And if they do not like it they can take the bus ! .......Ohh it is one of those cute old VW buses from the 60s !

But really , who gives a hoot what someone spends money on , jealous people maybe , but as a car guy I am glad they buy nice cars so I can look at it ,

plus it keeps the Germans and Italians working :)

Now why do people spend millions on paintings ? or an old wine jar some Romans used a long time ago ?

Do you think if the rich did not buy these things they would "give" that money to you or your pet charity ?

OHHH does anyone have an old Mercedes 600 limo sitting around ?

• Like 1

I don't want to be mean to the OP because I think his sentiment expressed is a common one, which is that Bangkok traffic is terrible and sitting in traffic appears boring and tedious however as a Bangkok driver, I can assure him that it is much more relaxing sitting in my freezing air conditioning than walking around in the blistering heat, getting in and out of crappy taxis, riding with the BTS jammed in like sardines and breathing in germs or on a motorbike in the heat and exhaust fumes and battling the elements.

It will hurt OP's feelings but he has no frame of reference.

If he had the opportunity he would find out that there is really no going back.

coffee1.gif

And travel by bus simply because they prefer it. smile.png

because they simply pretend to prefer it.

The Fox and the Grapes

The Fox has a longing for grapes:

He jumps, but the bunch still escapes.

So he goes away sour;

And, 'tis said, to this hour

Declares that he's no taste for grapes.

moral: "Any fool can despise what he can not get"

tongue.png

Edited by Naam

If there is an AA for car guys I guess it would be the AAA

Hello, My name is BKK Dreaming and I am a car junkie sad.png

I spend more time with my cars than my family , I spend more $$$$ on my cars than my family , I often do not eat if I am working on my cars

And if they do not like it they can take the bus ! .......Ohh it is one of those cute old VW buses from the 60s !

But really , who gives a hoot what someone spends money on , jealous people maybe , but as a car guy I am glad they buy nice cars so I can look at it ,

plus it keeps the Germans and Italians working smile.png

Now why do people spend millions on paintings ? or an old wine jar some Romans used a long time ago ?

Do you think if the rich did not buy these things they would "give" that money to you or your pet charity ?

OHHH does anyone have an old Mercedes 600 limo sitting around ?

only 30 million Baht plus import duties =100 million (give or take 10 million):

http://www.autoscout24.com/Details.aspx?id=232647307&cd=635044440670000000&asrc=st|fs

I agree the OP is ridiculous.

Maybe that hi-so in the benz is enjoying himself.

If that's the only time in the day when he has a minute to himself then maybe he couldn't give a damn how long he's stuck for.

How would you know?

Funny how so many non-rich judge the rich so harshly and then self-righteously "think" what they'd do if they were rich.

I find it amusing how you rationalize to yourself how much better your life is because you're sitting outside on your bike in the heat, noise and dirty air, while he sits in his plush leather seats in a cool, quite, air-con car listening to music on a bitchin' sound system. I know which one I'd choose. 555

I think what's funnier are the people who assume someone is rich because he or she drives what, if purchased legally, would be regarded as an expensive item - a car in this case.

Further, it is funny to see someone who likely considers him-/herself educated but who also thinks the opposite is true: that someone who is not seen to have ownership of or affiliation with these items, which when purchased legally would be considered to be expensive, is not rich.

HaHaHa

I don't want to be mean to the OP because I think his sentiment expressed is a common one, which is that Bangkok traffic is terrible and sitting in traffic appears boring and tedious however as a Bangkok driver, I can assure him that it is much more relaxing sitting in my freezing air conditioning than walking around in the blistering heat, getting in and out of crappy taxis, riding with the BTS jammed in like sardines and breathing in germs or on a motorbike in the heat and exhaust fumes and battling the elements.

there must be more than a dozen threads, not only concerning cars but other subjects too, in which bitterly frustrated and financially handicapped expats not only vent their displeasure and judgment but adding strong insults based on pure stupidity.

in housing threads i read more than once utmost silly comments such as "why would i need a house with two bedrooms? i can only sleep in one!"

• Like 1

there must be more than a dozen threads, not only concerning cars but other subjects too, in which bitterly frustrated and financially handicapped expats not only vent their displeasure and judgment but adding strong insults based on pure stupidity.

in housing threads i read more than once utmost silly comments such as "why would i need a house with two bedrooms? i can only sleep in one!"

Naam, surely not all of the posts are from these financially handicapped farangs/expats. Indeed, I doubt there are many TRUE expats (as opposed to immigrants) who are so handicapped. I know I'm not.

Would you argue against my earlier points that there is an aspect of some Asian culture and certainly Thai culture whereby FACE is the driving force behind these scenarios? Be honest and argue your point. I think I can keep up with you intellectually, and I will honor your replies by responding in debate form to every single one of them.