Thai retailer apology for controversial Chinese New Year ad

webfact

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its amazing how time and time again, Thailand and its people show the world how pathetic they really are

The big question is... where do they get this mindset?

You think they got it from somewhere, or that from time to time the veneer slips and the truth shows through.

They didn't get it from me, from you?

Which advertising agency came up with this?

Did no one think it might possibly be the tiniest bit racist? Not even one tiny smidge.

Do you mean that it is "racist" in that it implies asian eye shape to be superior or what? I think it is a rather clever advert.
Each to his own.

I don't think it's that offensive. The whole slanty eye thing is really original. Lol

That a farang model might want to look Chinese, could be aspirational I guess. Huh?

Why have a western model for Chinese me year God knows.

I have little doubt that any mainland Chinese shoppers would see the funny side?

Nicole Kidman got her eyes done to look more Asian. Unless it was a mistake?

She's got pretty slanted eyes. Omg, was that racist?

Did no one think it might possibly be the tiniest bit racist? Not even one tiny smidge.

Do you mean that it is "racist" in that it implies asian eye shape to be superior or what? I think it is a rather clever advert.
Each to his own.

I don't think it's that offensive. The whole slanty eye thing is really original. Lol

That a farang model might want to look Chinese, could be aspirational I guess. Huh?

Why have a western model for Chinese me year God knows.

I have little doubt that any mainland Chinese shoppers would see the funny side?

Nicole Kidman got her eyes done to look more Asian. Unless it was a mistake?

She's got pretty slanted eyes. Omg, was that racist?

Nicole Kidman had her eyes done?

A curly haired copper top with slanty chinky eyes?

Is that racist?, thing is I'm not trying to attract chinese people to my shop.

The real reason this got pulled is because they didn't want to offend their clients.

An eye for an eye. w00t.gif

You have a few things going on here.

Making the "slant eyes" face is pretty much universally viewed as racist around the world.

That said, you have to look at the context, if it's directed at an Asian person.

Of course, in ads and billboards/marketing, you can't 100% control your target audience.

There are two ways they're attempting to be clever.

One, making the commonly-heard assertion that China is on the rise and that America/Europe are the past...

Two, turning on its head the idea that Western/falang models are always going to be used to market luxury shopping experiences to Asians, especially Chinese. I always say when you go to the US and you see Asian models in all the Abercrombie and J Crew catalogs...that will be the day that advertisers are really taking the Asian market seriously, instead of the common idea today that all things Western and "looking white/fair" is enough of a message to get a response from consumers.

Basically, the younger Asian demographic is changing and the old/traditional methods of using white, blonde haired blue eyed models in adverts is going out of style.

I think you'd have to ask a bunch of random Chinese shoppers and see how they felt about it. Some would be offended, some would think it was clever, some might think it's showing how dominant China has become in the global economic/consumerism conversation.

• Like 1

I fail to see how the advert is racist against the Chinese. It shows a Western woman trying to look Chinese and has the words in the background "good to be Chinese". In my opinion, if anything, the ad is racist against Westerners.

I don't normally agree with overpowered and frivolous political correctness, as it undermines the seriousness of the real discrimination, but I do find this Ad offensive on several levels. Number one, my pet hate is that West has used white actors to play historical characters of other races.This has gone on forever and still happens occasionally, and is a source of shame to me as a white person. Secondly, Asian women's eyes are famously beautiful, considered by many to be the prettiest eyes of all. The model in the photo just looks ugly when she stretches her face like that. It bears no similarity to the beauty of Asian eyes at all. Ad agencies need to cut down on the coffee and other stimulants, and think things through better imo. Nothing new there.

You are about as far out as Pluto on your thinking. The Asian market use Western models for one! Number 2 who told you Asian eyes are famously beautiful? considered by many!!! like who said this?, people in the west? I have just picked out your quotes below that proves you are a self opinionated, and more to the point a self righteous thinker. The advert is clever and could be seen as offensive to western people, if your head is up your ass of course!!!!

West has used white actors to play historical characters of other races.

Asian women's eyes are famously beautiful, considered by many to be the prettiest eyes of all

The model in the photo just looks ugly when she stretches her face like that.

It bears no similarity to the beauty of Asian eyes at all

I wish some of the horses I back were as fast as some people are to take offence. I don't see it as racist, but as humourous. Real racism is ugly.

I agree, real racism is ugly and so is that anorexic (presumably) farang model. Maybe Central should use a real Chinese female for their ads. Yes, I know, Coco is Taiwanese.

post-9891-0-37223000-1391222559_thumb.jppost-9891-0-35026800-1391222571_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I think there should just be a required disclaimer at the bottom of all ads stating 'this ad was made by a Thai agency'.

Then any ad thought to be insensitive or offensive would just be overlooked because everyone knows that Thais miss the mark in cultural sensitivities.

My son came home from school a couple of weeks ago going over a line I grew up with as a kid.

"Chinese Japanese, dirty knees, look at these money please. This could also be seen as offensive to some but I guess it depends on the thickness of your skin. I see nothing offensive in the ad and I am chinese decent.

What - as opposed to Chinese indecent?

I wish some of the horses I back were as fast as some people are to take offence. I don't see it as racist, but as humourous. Real racism is ugly.

I agree, real racism is ugly and so is that anorexic (presumably) farang model. Maybe Central should use a real Chinese female for their ads. Yes, I know, Coco is Taiwanese.

attachicon.gifchinesead.jpgattachicon.gifcocolee11.jpg

Go for broke. Put Yingluck on the billboard.

• Like 1

Not racist in my book.

Neither was the Japanese airline advert that had Japanese turning Caucasian (can still say Caucasian? Is that word non pc now?) with blond hair and long noses.

And especially non racist was the doughnut ad where the woman resembled a bit of dark chocolate.

Not racist in my book.

Neither was the Japanese airline advert that had Japanese turning Caucasian (can still say Caucasian? Is that word non pc now?) with blond hair and long noses.

And especially non racist was the doughnut ad where the woman resembled a bit of dark chocolate.

The doughnut ad was way more racist than the way you portray it, but then again why do I think you already knew that?

I'm a Chinese. I saw that ad in Central. I don't think that involves racism etc. In fact, I felt quite amused when I saw that.

PS: Most people in North and West have slant eyes, like the clay soldiers in Xi An. People in East and South don't have much slant eyes. Some people in south China look more like Thais...

• Like 1

Not racist in my book.

The doughnut ad was way more racist than the way you portray it, but then again why do I think you already knew that?

Why? If you are going to make a statement like that at least say why.

What about clowns with painted white faces and ginger wigs. Are they racist?

Not racist in my book.

Why? If you are going to make a statement like that at least say why.

What about clowns with painted white faces and ginger wigs. Are they racist?

Did you watch the advert? Did you see the contempt and horror they associated with dark skin in order to make point that 'but this doughnut is ok"? Not the posters, the ad? Did you?

Edited by Bluespunk

Thais are oblivious to international racial, discriminatory and/or religious sensitivities. The article mentions but a few Thai transgressions. Conspicuous by its absence are the numerous and pervasive incidents of Nazi and swastika cult and costuming in Thailand, the Hitler store, the children dressed as Nazis..etc.

Yes it makes Thailand look uneducated and dislocated from the real world. Sadly a large percentage of Thais do not even know who Hitler was.