Deaths linked to Thai govt rice-pledging scheme

webfact

Deaths linked to govt rice-pledging scheme
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- "How do I hang myself without pain?" This was a question Roi Et rice farmer Thongma Kaisuan often asked his friends when they talked about the long-overdue payments under the government's rice-pledging scheme. Except none of his friends took him seriously.

Then, early on January 26, Thongma, 60, was seen walking out of his home with a long rope in his hands. A few hours later he was found hanging from a tree.

His friends then started talking about how Thongma had looked distressed since November, when he pledged 7 tonnes of his crop to the controversial scheme. He only received Bt50,000 for the rice and had been waiting for another Bt100,000 that never came.

His neighbours said the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC), which handles the scheme and pays participating farmers, had described Thongma as a premium customer, meaning he always paid towards his Bt400,000 debt on time. He had apparently taken the 10-year loan to buy a used van for his son-in-law's school-bus business.

"Thongma was a family man, diligent, cheerful and always kind," his relatives said. The farmer had even built a two-storey house worth about Bt1 million relying on his savings. The family owned a 10-rai (1.6-hectare) farm in Muang district and also raised five head of cattle.

Relatives said they believed he killed himself because he was unable to cover his mortgage with the BAAC. He did not leave a suicide note.

This controversial scheme appears to have been linked to another death. Muang Phanthuchart, a village chief in Si Sa Ket's Khukhan district, also hanged himself recently. He had apparently told a close friend that he did not want to leave, but left a suicide note apologising to his family and the villagers about the long-overdue payment under the rice-subsidy programme.

Childhood friend Swart Butrwong said Muang was facing problems from all sides. He was distressed over the 7 tonnes of rice he had pledged under the scheme, and also had to keep comforting other villagers about their outstanding payments.

In addition to all this, he had other worries - he was suffering from a chronic disease and had been the guarantor for another friend's loan, instalments for which were being paid later than scheduled, Swart said.

Muang, known as an outstanding, award-winning civil servant, began looking extremely worried one week after the New Year break. Yet his suicide was not expected.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-01

The brain that thought up this scam couldn't give a monkey's about a couple of dead farmers.

Most evildoers don't give a hoot about consequences of their deeds..., until retribution catches up.

Corrupt Chinese Policeman’s Last Words: ‘All That Happened Is Retribution’

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/197093-corrupt-chinese-policemans-last-words-all-that-happened-is-retribution/

• Like 1

Condolences to his family, but.....

Unfortunately, he didn't think of his family ......he may have been a good person, but he's left his family an awful mess now and most likely, they'll sell the farm and be worse off......the cowards way is not a way out for anyone except the coward!

• Like 1

Farming has always carried a high suicide rate, had a few friends in UK go that way Farm subsidies are nothing new, milk lakes beef mountains etc etc. this scheme will resolve itself, if you don't believe that you aint been here long enough

The tragedy of this story is that at one end of it - politicians and those officials overseeing the scheme - got enormously rich in a massive application of graft. But at the other end of it - the farmers themselves - the ones who were least able to defend themselves - they paid a much greater price. Like ENRON - those at the top benefited, while those at the bottom had their lives ruined. When corruption meets its end - when avenues for cash finally dry up and the graft come back on itself - the most vulnerable pay. Dearly. When farmers are treated as pawns in a programme meant to enrich those at the top, there is a tragedy in the making. There is a moral to every story. Yet Pheu Thai gives every indication that it has not learned it, as they embark on their ongoing diet of campaign slogans and jingles, which for many, will have a hollow ring.

Do you really think the Shin clan and the PTP care about a couple of farmers. They have there stronghold in the north and managed to pay 8 of the 9 districts for their rice. Although they claim this was done because the rice in the north was pledged first however managed to keep her people complacent while the rest of thai farmers are struggling and getting desperate enough to kill themselves. The gov should be offering the families of these men some form of compensation if they truly cared.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Futility felt and no hope on the horizon.. Rest in peace...... but I imagine soon the Rice pledging scheme is going to blamed for the droughts in Africa and the Afghani problem and every other thing possible to keep it on the head of you know who till it no longer suits that purpose..there is very little balance in reporting here in the land...just piling on the hot button of the moment with as much doo-doo- as possible to sway the sheep one way or the other... with all do respect to the deceased... people here hang themselves here everyday and it goes unreported... my neighbor hung himself a few months back because his wife bitched at him day and nite...he was a good man.. had many long conversations with him about a lot of all of these current affairs... I will miss him... but thankfully now I don't hear her squawking day and nite...

Thais have an unusual propensity to go in hock with the local shark. The shark comes around a few times, and then to save face they find a father, cousin or uncle somewhere who has a small chanote and they con him into pledging the small patch of land for a quick loan fix at the mob controlled savings and loan. They pay the shark and have a party with what's left, maybe buy a new tv or a motorcycle.

• Like 2

This country is now definitely beyond salvation! The problem is not only corrupted politicians from all the parties be it Pheu Thai or Democrats or others but also the people, be it the poor farmers, middle class thais etc. Eversince the "Western Culture" of credit came into thailand, people do not know how to live within their means and take everything for granted.They are always looking for handouts and easy money.

Poor Thaksin, I may not like him but really he wasted his time helping the wrong people.....look at these farmers, when they were getting monies thru the populists policies of thaksin, he was great but just miss one payment as a result of political interferences, and they start protesting! They do not even look back at the good that he had done for them in the past. There is no loyalty or gratitude and they complain that they have no money not realising their incompetetence in managing their finances.

The middle class thais are the same, trying to live lifestyles like in their thai lakhon, buying cars on credit, houses on credit and hanging out in fanciful restaurants and pubs on credit! I have seen young thais with fancy cars and clothes borrowing monies from the pathetically dressed Indian Money lenders on bicycles.....what a laugh!

My way and family way has always been , we live within our means and we never even use credit cards (except my better half and even then everything is settled to the bank within a few days), we save our hard earned cash and buy what we can afford.We never borrow from banks nor from individuals nor do we also lend money out. We made it big thru hard work and self reliance and started from humble beginnings.

The rich and hisos in thailand are another anomalous lot.....most became rich by illegal means , cheating and corruption and they have no hearts for the rest of the society and they think that their fathers own the country and taliking about philanathropy, they cannot be compared to the real hisos form Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia etc. The thai hisos would even ask for money for their transportation and hair dos to attaned a charity event and expect everything free for them. Real Garbage!

Anyway wahtever violenece and problems that may come, the locals deserve it. Pity The country by itself is a great place with lots to offer. maybe its time for some foreign power to colonise it.

But the media , please stop creating stupid stories like these. Thai people should be responsible for their own lives.

You have raised the interesting point of responsibility and Thais are reluctant to take responsibility for anything including their own lives.

How many times when something goes wrong do officials come up with the most ridiculous excuses and that includes invoking the supernatural ?

This is a poor example compared to people taking their own lives but anyone who has been or is involved with education will be well aware of how little parents take responsibility for their children. On the issue of truancy, which is nothing compared to suicide, I have personal knowledge of a school principal being told by parents it was the school's responsibility to ensure their children attended school not theirs.

This country is now definitely beyond salvation! The problem is not only corrupted politicians from all the parties be it Pheu Thai or Democrats or others but also the people, be it the poor farmers, middle class thais etc. Eversince the "Western Culture" of credit came into thailand, people do not know how to live within their means and take everything for granted.They are always looking for handouts and easy money.

Poor Thaksin, I may not like him but really he wasted his time helping the wrong people.....look at these farmers, when they were getting monies thru the populists policies of thaksin, he was great but just miss one payment as a result of political interferences, and they start protesting! They do not even look back at the good that he had done for them in the past. There is no loyalty or gratitude and they complain that they have no money not realising their incompetetence in managing their finances.

The middle class thais are the same, trying to live lifestyles like in their thai lakhon, buying cars on credit, houses on credit and hanging out in fanciful restaurants and pubs on credit! I have seen young thais with fancy cars and clothes borrowing monies from the pathetically dressed Indian Money lenders on bicycles.....what a laugh!

My way and family way has always been , we live within our means and we never even use credit cards (except my better half and even then everything is settled to the bank within a few days), we save our hard earned cash and buy what we can afford.We never borrow from banks nor from individuals nor do we also lend money out. We made it big thru hard work and self reliance and started from humble beginnings.

The rich and hisos in thailand are another anomalous lot.....most became rich by illegal means , cheating and corruption and they have no hearts for the rest of the society and they think that their fathers own the country and taliking about philanathropy, they cannot be compared to the real hisos form Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia etc. The thai hisos would even ask for money for their transportation and hair dos to attaned a charity event and expect everything free for them. Real Garbage!

Anyway wahtever violenece and problems that may come, the locals deserve it. Pity The country by itself is a great place with lots to offer. maybe its time for some foreign power to colonise it.

But the media , please stop creating stupid stories like these. Thai people should be responsible for their own lives.

The backbone of your post is "ALL Thais are <deleted> and deserve what they get, I live within my means and I am great cos I made it big"

Where are you from you muppet?

• Like 2

The brain that thought out this evil rice scam is building up its karma.

One of the good things about Thaivisa is that you can make such a comment. When I write it on the Bangkok Post forum, it's censored out. Even though it is a Buddhist belief and illustrated in many lakorns. Yes, I confess to watching lakorns with my wife sometimes.

The tragedy of this story is that at one end of it - politicians and those officials overseeing the scheme - got enormously rich in a massive application of graft. But at the other end of it - the farmers themselves - the ones who were least able to defend themselves - they paid a much greater price. Like ENRON - those at the top benefited, while those at the bottom had their lives ruined. When corruption meets its end - when avenues for cash finally dry up and the graft come back on itself - the most vulnerable pay. Dearly. When farmers are treated as pawns in a programme meant to enrich those at the top, there is a tragedy in the making. There is a moral to every story. Yet Pheu Thai gives every indication that it has not learned it, as they embark on their ongoing diet of campaign slogans and jingles, which for many, will have a hollow ring.

Do you really think the Shin clan and the PTP care about a couple of farmers. They have there stronghold in the north and managed to pay 8 of the 9 districts for their rice. Although they claim this was done because the rice in the north was pledged first however managed to keep her people complacent while the rest of thai farmers are struggling and getting desperate enough to kill themselves. The gov should be offering the families of these men some form of compensation if they truly cared.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Shows again how corrupt and devious the Shin Clan is.. they must go and fast. But there is a movie about something even worse. The one who distributed the G2G deals was a close trustee of Taksin. They skimmed of the G2G deals for Taksin and the PTP. So in fact they stole from the scheme (no surprise there but details are coming out) and that is partly why they have no money. So in a way they are not only responsible by stupidity but now directly by theft too. Its in the topic of the loan bridge and translation curtsy of the user Trembly. I shared the link with as many as my Thai friends as i could to make this more known. (its in Thai). If this is proven YL is toast she chaired the rice program she is responsible.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1