Thailand election: Doubt over poll outcome

webfact

after reading the OP I'm not so sure PTP should be claiming anything at the moment, seems more like the no votes and those that chose not to vote at all are speaking very loud and clear - as for the protestors - they maybe impacted less than 7% of the poll

No matter how poor the turnout, PTP *must* claim the elections a success in order to push through the Amnesty Bill.

Yingluck if told it was dark would have all her followers tun on torches and tell the Thai people it was the middle of the day

Today news I am told has really upset her

when the Democrats have said that when the Thai people take back the power of the Government to the people, the very first action is to issue legislation to sieze assets from Ms Tingluck and her allies that can be proves to have accured while they ran the Government, and give the money back to the farmers

Now are Issan farmers really believe in the PM or do the believe in getting money

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did they not just wait....for crikey's sake...everyone knew this was not the answer....a rush, rush chaotic election and then a movement to nullify it. Money not well spent. Did anybody realize that neighborhoods were gathering their own vote together...regardless of whether the polling place was open...with not election officials to safeguard fair voting?

Because Taksin wants his amnesty and his cronies must be in power by the end of April to make sure that happens after the 180 days are over. Then they will go after the 2 trillion baht loan to pay the greedy farmers for their support ( but only the ones who they know voted for them ) and then they will pocket the rest meanwhile spouting eendless drivel about things they will do with the money that will never happen because the money is gone already, maybe a few small things will materialize with some of it. Then the rest of the country can spend the next 50 years struggling to pay off the interests on the debt. Just my opinion. NO THANK YOU !!

• Like 1

BMA says 26% of Bangkok voters go to the polls yesterday

BfdLOMsCYAAzfJ0-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) says 26% of eligible voters in Bangkok turned out to cast their votes yesterday.

It did not give the exact figure of total eligible voters but earlier figure released said there are over 4 million eligible voters in Bangkok.

Meanwhile EC secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong said of the 6,671 polling stations in Bangkok’s 33 constituencies, 6,155 stations could open for voting, while 516 stations could not open for voting.

This raised total number of polling stations across the country that could open for voting to 83,669 out of the total 93,952 stations. A total of 10,823 stations could not open for voting, he said.

He said a total of 18 provinces announced suspension of voting, comprising 9 provinces where voting was suspended in all constituencies, and 9 provinces with total 67 constituencies where voting was suspended in all 37 constituencies.

Of the 37 constituencies, voting in nine provinces with a total of 31 constituencies were all suspended. They are Chumphon, Ranong, Surat Thani Phang Nga, Krabi, Phuket, Phatthalung, Songkhla and Trang. Six other constituencies in Nakhon Si Thammart could not open for voting.

He said 30 other constituencies which voting was partly suspended are in Bangkok, Phetburi, Rayong, Prachuab Khiri Khan, Satun, Nakhon Si Thamarat, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat.

He said that EC will reveal the number of voters who turned out at yesterday’s polls late today.

Initial figures release said only 26% of Bangkok’s four million voters came to the polls yesterday.

An EC commissioner Somchai Sristhiyakorn said today that EC will meet today to discuss the problem of constituencies which could neither open for voting nor were forced to suspend voting ahead of the closing hours.

Any decision to hold fresh elections would also be considered with regard to the peace and order of the country, he said.

He also said that of 28 constituencies in the South where there is no candidate, EC would raise the matter with the caretaker government .

He said if there is no conclusion reached, EC will petition the Constitutional Court for ruling.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bma-says-26-bangkok-voters-go-polls-yesterday/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-03

And another 26% who wanted to vote could not. Thank you BMA.

Lets use some logic here.. not a red shirts best attribute so I wont hold it against you if you cant follow.

For 26% not being able to vote 50% of the polling stations in Bangkok should have been blocked.

That was not the case by far.

So an other red fantasy.. and can you imagine how many of those 26% voted no... shows a complete blow to the PTP..

So a quarter of all registered voters were unable to vote (75 per cent is a good turn out anywhere, except maybe somewhere like Zimbabwe where they can sometimes manage about 120 per cent) and of these 12 million between 8 and 10 million would have voted at the 10 per cent of polling stations that were 'disrupted'.

I think someone must have been using Kittirat's calculator again. biggrin.png

Edited by bigbamboo

If there were new major parties with fresh faces at the helm, the nation would be energised to vote, and turnout would be extremely high. Everybody in the mainstream is sick and tired of the same handful of mummified relics and cartoon characters that are offered at the vote-box. It is no different to marketing, if you are still trying to sell hobnail boots when your competitors are selling modern running-shoes. Don't expect people to queue up to buy those medieval clomps, when they know that the world has moved on since then.

This is a good idea!

There is certainly a vacuum and hence an opportunity for center party with socially just policies.

It would be a good if the next election were delayed for say 3 months to allow such ba thing to happen.

Fortunately there is no sign of irredentism in the NE as there is in the south.

However, decentralisation maybe on a federal basis would be a good move

• Like 1

If there were new major parties with fresh faces at the helm, the nation would be energised to vote, and turnout would be extremely high. Everybody in the mainstream is sick and tired of the same handful of mummified relics and cartoon characters that are offered at the vote-box. It is no different to marketing, if you are still trying to sell hobnail boots when your competitors are selling modern running-shoes. Don't expect people to queue up to buy those medieval clomps, when they know that the world has moved on since then.

That is exactly what many of my Thai friends are saying- "there is nobody we can vote for - the same old faces - the same old corrupt clique who has been running this country since forever - no matter which party they belong too"! Voters fatigue that's how I would describe it.

People are tired of the never- ending bitching and fighting in politics like in one of the cheap Thai soaps. They know at the end it is all about money and who gets the bigger share of the pie and nothing else.

One even said that this whole old generation of crooks in state positions and politics will hopefully die soon and then the country might get a chance to start over and move forward.

They are all getting bored with the countries politics - but this is of course exactly what the few people who own this country want to see. They can go on and take turns milking the country like they have been doing since generations - nothing new here.

That is why tough anti corruption laws should be in place. The moment these are in place and enforced (maybe the position of the day would fill the seats of the anti corruption commission) then the money leaves the policts (mostly) and its not profitable for the crooks to be politicians. That would mean a change. That is what I am hoping for.

I am against corruption on either side and i really hate the remarks don't go after corrupt politicians as they are all corrupt so its politically motivated. That is just crazy they should go after all corrupt politicians and officials It is the only way and yes that would mean PTP corruption at the moment (they are in power) Maybe an other time its the other side that gets caught. That its now your side does not mean we should not start and go on fighting corruption.

Take the money away from politics (mostly) and they wont be fighting over money anymore. It would change the country.

That is what most of my anti government friends are saying they don't want a dictatorship by Suthep, they want corruption gone or at least attacked.

Absolutely correct!

But how?

Legislation that says "thou shalt not steal"? I don't think so!

Problem is that corruption, or at least a western view of corruption, is deeply ingrained here.

"As long as I get some benefit, you can do what you like"

That will take a generation and improved education to eradicate.

Unfettering the press by dumping censorship, unfair libel laws and arcane other regulations would be a big help.

No, sadly I don't think you can legislate for good governance.

A few good men? hello? hello?

• Like 1

I may be wrong... But I guess both side will try to declare this was a victory...

PT will likely say that once the votes are counted, that they will have a majority of votes

As even if there were a lot of no votes... Were probably still more of those who voted for PT. So try will say "the people have spoken and want us"

The other side will point to the low turn out and add the numbers of those that did not vote with those that voted "none of the above" and say "the people have spoken, they want the current gov out"

So both will point to what they want to see and both will be convinced and argue that they won and we will all likely still be in the same situation ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CWMcMurray

Thai Election Commission accepts failure in yesterday's polls
By Digital Content

13914076683636.png

BANGKOK, Feb 3 - An Election Commission (EC) member today admitted an unsuccessful general election given the failure to conduct balloting in all constituencies nationwide.

Somchai Srisuthiyakorn, EC commissioner for election administration, said he would accept responsibility in the EC meeting today and would propose transferring himself to another position in the agency.

It is not to avoid responsibility (for holding the elections), he stressed.

EC members are scheduled to meet with caretaker Labour Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, in his capacity as director of the Centre for Maintaining of Peace and Order (CMPO), to review yesterday's election results.

He said, however, that the EC and CMPO work separately and each has its own authority.

According to the EC, elections were smooth in 83,669 polling stations in 308 constituencies but balloting was called off in 10,283 stations in 18 constituencies.

Successful balloting represented 89.2 per cent of the total polling stations.

Nine southern provinces where elections were completely shut off included Chumphon, Ranong, Surat Thani, Phang-nga, Krabi, Phuket, Phattalung, Songkhla and Trang.

Nine provinces with partial balloting disruptions were Phetchburi, Rayong, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Satun, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Bangkok.

In Bangkok, 6,155 of the total 6,671 polling stations operated while 516 others were sealed off.

Voter turnout in the capital was 26.8 per cent, a sharp drop from the 2011 general election which saw a 71.8 per cent turnout.

Voter turnout in the North was 54.03 percent and the Northeast 56.14 per cent. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-03

Good thing there was no violence. Lil sis put her votes in the wrong boxes, Prayuth forgot his id card. All in style with the election as it was going.

Government screaming victory. Chalerm resurfaced and expects 265 to 280 seats for PTP. Election to be nullified. More billions thrown overboard.

New elections in a few months. Then all parties should compete and fight for what they are worth. Enough time to show the real nature of the beast called shinaclan.

forget this bullshit because born loosers like the yellows don´t go again to a election. they know exactly there is no chance to win.

It was not all a waste of money and time, it will help see how the people feel

This was not an election

But a chance for the people to decide do they want

1) Taksin in for a dictatorship, as there was only 1 major party to vote for

2) A chance for a better Thailand by getting rid of ALL the corrupt politicians FROM both sides

As we have idea which one will get the most response, so we need to wait

Wife was told by a friend whose sister was working in a polling booth counters where amazed how many blank voting forms where put into the boxes.

Just maybe you can fool some Thai's some of the time

But I will be happy when you can not fool All the Thai people all of the time

Except if your the one we are counting on to get Thailand moving

and you can not even put your vote into the right box

We all understand Big brother was not there to tell her what to do

I love to read your "option 2)" :)

"A chance for a better Thailand by getting rid of ALL the corrupt politicians FROM both sides"

You are a dreamer :)

Hopefully Suthep, who is not only corrupt and power hungry, but also committed countless crimes in the past months, could not succeed in destroying democracy.

Your dreams of a "better Thailand" would have evaporated very quickly if he had been allowed to come up with his "people's council's ridiculous thing".

Hopefully democracy prevailed :)

Sent from my iPhone...

Edited by gerry1011

doubt about this election have only the yellows terrorists and some farangs supporting them. and this are mostly farangs from the usa, australia and england. experts in killing democracy step by step.

Maybe everyone should follow Italian democracy.

" Although the EC could not give results, Chalerm claimed that Pheu Thai Party expected to win 265 to 280 MP seats. "

In light of all the cautionary statistics revealed in this article - a full quarter of the voting public didn't vote, eighteen provinces with invalidated results, with turnout numbers between significantly and alarmingly down - including the North and Northeast - Chalerm ( with the obvious encouragement of Thaksin ) has the effrontery to say that Pheu Thai swept between 265 and 280 seats - in other words, better than they did in 2011 ! And this is the minister-in-charge-of-everything-that-moves, including now apparently in the delving out of complementary official election results ?

• Like 1

Come on Khun Somchai, don't be so hard on yourself. The fact that balloting was successful in 89.2% of the cases in spite of such challenges as voter intimidation and forceful and illegal closure of many polling stations shows that the EC did a very good job.

If you do feel that you did not execute your duties to the fullest extent of your abilities, I am sure that the country is willing to give you a second chance to prove yourself by ensuring that you bring this election to it's right and proper legal end.

So since most of Bangkok voted ok and only 26% out of 4 million or so voters cast their ballot, that shows a strong lack of confidence in PT, though that was expected here. Also those who say the protests only have 10 supporters, take note, 3 million DIDN'T vote for PT in Bangkok, maybe they do not support the protestors either, but they also do not support the Shin clan. Some of those million or so votes will be no votes too, interesting to see how many. I know the Shin clan will get more votes up north, but they will get less down south, maybe they will counterbalance each other and the Bangkok results could be indicative of the total we can expect, if that is the case I think Yinglack is done, I sincerely hope so anyway. Sad thing is Taksin will just nepotistically nominate another puppet proxy from his family in her place. I hope the no votes are at least a strong % of the final tally so we can see the real strength of feeling.

Actually, that is rubbish.

only 8.5% of polling stations affected. Leaving 91.5% open, yet this 92% could only interest 26% of the entire BKK electorate.

Surely it should have only effected 8.5% of the BKK electorate. So of the 74% who did not vote you can minus the 8.2% who could not vote and come up with the figure of 65.5% who could vote, but chose to abstain.

Add to that the likely huge number of those who voted will have only attended to cast a 'no vote' to show they voted but have no confidence in the government.

To me, that is a pretty piss poor turnout and a massive vote of no confidence. Wonder why Yingluck saw it as a huge success? If anything it has served to undermine herself and her government's credibility.

Let us wait for the true figures across the north and northeast, that is the actual 'acid test'.

Anything less than 75% turnout and a lot of 'no vote' castings, and this government is basically toast.

• Like 1

only 8.5% of polling stations affected. Leaving 91.5% open, yet this 92% could only interest 26% of the entire BKK electorate.

Surely it should have only effected 8.5% of the BKK electorate. So of the 74% who did not vote you can minus the 8.2% who could not vote and come up with the figure of 65.5% who could vote, but chose to abstain.

Add to that the likely huge number of those who voted will have only attended to cast a 'no vote' to show they voted but have no confidence in the government.

To me, that is a pretty piss poor turnout and a massive vote of no confidence. Wonder why Yingluck saw it as a huge success? If anything it has served to undermine herself and her government's credibility.

Let us wait for the true figures across the north and northeast, that is the actual 'acid test'.

Anything less than 75% turnout and a lot of 'no vote' castings, and this government is basically toast.

More accurate than my approx. summary post and shows even more how PTP lost huge credibility with this election - how on earth they think they won anything is beyond understanding, maybe if they actually started telling the truth to the Thai people they might garner back some of the credibility they never had

Just lies and more lies to cover up lies

This was not an election

2) A chance for a better Thailand by getting rid of ALL the corrupt politicians FROM both sides

Wife was told by a friend whose sister was working in a polling booth counters where amazed how many blank voting forms where put into the boxes.

Money really counts in Thailand. There may be a lot of blank voting forms in the box but how do people know that all the votes are fairly counted? Votes can be bought. I heard a rumor from some of the Thai elite people that Thaksin paid as much as 400 million THB per individual to the military officers. That is over US$10 million per individual. There is nothing we can trust with this corrupted government controlled by the super rich man in Dubai. Votes can be bought and manipulated with money.

I don't disagree with the point you you are trying to raise but Thailand does not just consist of Bkk. Considering that Bkk is the centre of the protests, it would be logical to assume that voter turnout here would be low.

This was not an election

Money really counts in Thailand. There may be a lot of blank voting forms in the box but how do people know that all the votes are fairly counted? Votes can be bought. I heard a rumor from some of the Thai elite people that Thaksin paid as much as 400 million THB per individual to the military officers. That is over US$10 million per individual. There is nothing we can trust with this corrupted government controlled by the super rich man in Dubai. Votes can be bought and manipulated with money.

Yes, I heard the same rumour except that it was 800 million THB per individual plus 100 million to each of their giks. Must be true then, since you and I both heard the same rumour whistling.gif

Here's a question; if the election results show the current government "lost", however that is defined, will Suthep and the yellowshirts decide that it is now a valid election?

You'd have to ask him. Or you can go across to a parallel universe where the government lost the election and see what he says.

I heard a rumor that President Barrack Obama was born in Kenya, but I don't believe that one either.

I am curious though; is the rumor that Thaksin paid these military officers before or after they deposed him in a coup? If it was before it would seem someone made them a better offer. If it was after, what was the point?