Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman dies aged 46

webfact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be daft. He was found dead with a needle stuck in his arm. Of course, people are going to discuss drug addiction in such a case.

Was referring to a post that seems to have been removed. The person stated " that's what you get when you stick a needle up your arm". Poor choice of words indeed..

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As tragic as this is I don't believe it warranted a full 10 mins in pole position on BBC world news this morning or the column inches generated in the press.

Be grateful, it probably would have been the American World Potato Throwing Final otherwise.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

A brilliant and beautiful actor, may he RIP....and some ignorant people (who are possibly striving to feel superior) still like to look down on people with addictions as ..."Weak willed people".... To become an actor of that class necessitates dedication and hard work of the highest order.....not for the weak willed ...but rather...it requires the strongest of wills.....beyond that of the average person.

I think Capote was the best acting performance I've ever seen.

He had a couple of great supporting roles in '25th Hour', 'Happiness', and 'Charlie Wilson's War.'

Hoffman's Capote was a most magnificently unsympathetic figure.

Hard to find any flaws in that performance.........acting at its brilliant best.

He was also very good in Doubt.

• Like 1

He had a couple of great supporting roles in '25th Hour', 'Happiness', and 'Charlie Wilson's War.'

Hard to find any flaws in that performance.........acting at its brilliant best.

I thought Doubt was an amazing movie, but that Meryl Streep stole the show.

I thought Doubt was an amazing movie, but that Meryl Streep stole the show.

Yes, she was excellent.

As tragic as this is I don't believe it warranted a full 10 mins in pole position on BBC world news this morning or the column inches generated in the press.

I do. A truly great actor who died young and in his prime.

I am shocked at how much time is devoted to the deaths of some other celebrities who were never very talented, but I won't name any names.

• Like 2

I do. A truly great actor who died young and in his prime.

I am shocked at how much time is devoted to the deaths of some other celebrities who were never very talented, but I won't name any names.

If Justin Bieber pops it, I could watch that for days.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

NPR reported a surge of heroin overdoses in Pennsylvania, which is v. close to NYC. Some very strong pharma opiate (can't recall its name) has been mixed with H - and a lot of druggies are apparently eager to try it. Rural PA hospitals are getting 3 to 4 o.d. patients a night, where normally they might get 2 a week. Police have arrested a single mother of 3 with packages (for sale) of the bad stuff in her house.

I loved his performance in Charlie Wilson's war. It' tragic when people with great potential turn to drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, great performance. Also Boogie Nights, Talented Mr. Ripley, Moneyball, Big Lebowski, Almost Famous....the guy made a ton of great movies. And he always stood out. Damn shame.

• Like 2

Funny how all these deaths of stars are drug overdose or suicide. I wonder whether he was speaking out about something he shouldn’t, that is usually the cause of death!

He was a great actor, I will miss him too. Condolences to his family.

Well he certainly made a statement about the dangers of long term addiction. Why try and sow the seeds of your imaginary conspiracy?

The man had a long term history of drug dependency and was recently in rehab. He wasn't much of one to speak out on anything and stuck to his craft. Addicts die every day and it is not because they are about to reveal some great secret. It is because they overdose. That's what happens when you use chemicals of unknown origin, and of unknown quality in a dangerous manner.

How heroin kills. It's scientific.

The experience of using heroin changes the brain permanently. People like Hoffman, who had said he was clean for more than 20 years before relapsing into drug abuse, remain vulnerable to falling into addiction again and again. "Drugs have a powerful effect on memory centers in the brain," says Stein. "Very positive, reinforcing memories of that drug use are really ingrained in the brain."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/02/140204-philip-seymour-hoffman-actor-heroin-overdose/

Funny how all these deaths of stars are drug overdose or suicide. I wonder whether he was speaking out about something he shouldn’t, that is usually the cause of death!

He was a great actor, I will miss him too. Condolences to his family.

Well he certainly made a statement about the dangers of long term addiction. Why try and sow the seeds of your imaginary conspiracy?

The man had a long term history of drug dependency and was recently in rehab. He wasn't much of one to speak out on anything and stuck to his craft. Addicts die every day and it is not because they are about to reveal some great secret. It is because they overdose. That's what happens when you use chemicals of unknown origin, and of unknown quality in a dangerous manner.

There are reports of him using heroin that was mixed with other stuff:

Just days before Hoffman's death, reports emerged that as many as 22 people have been killed in Pennsylvania and another five in Nassau County New York by what appeared to be a "bad batch" of heroin laced with a powerful painkiller. Similarly laced drugs have been reportedly to blame for the deaths of least 37 people in Maryland since September.

Rest of link here: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/philip-seymour-hoffmans-death-feds-soaring-heroin-addiction/story?id=22350681

Generally, the Hollywood / rock star crowd have access to the top-drawer narcs, that enable someone like say, Keith Richards to be on the hard stuff for over 20 years without him turning up in a body bag. Unlike your average council estate junkie that injects himself mostly with drain cleaner, or whatever its mixed with.

Yeh! Reports, reports,reports! How many reports have been found out to be lies. Look back through history, recent pasts, and you will find that reports are worthless without proof. People have said things that have been found out to be lies later on, so I still question that this was an accident. I don’t believe anything without proof.

Also, it is easy to link up other events of drug deaths with this one to prove a point but that does not prove anything unless you can prove that the drugs came from the same source and what the drug contained. All in all, it is nothing but speculation without proof.

If you want to believe the controlled media, that is your right, as it is my right to question.

If this had happened in Thailand, Pol Capt Virachai Nadee would have "rushed to the scene" and then stuck a few more needles in him before rearranging the body so the cameral boys embedded with Po Tek Tung, Sawang Boriboon or Ruam Katanyu could get some great and whacky shots.

LOL