Phuket: Swedish honeymooner partially paralyzed as speedboat tackles rough waters

webfact

Very nice of her to not want to "get anyone else in trouble" but seriously, someone needs to take responsibility for this, specifically the speedboat company and the (not so bright) "captain" as well as their insurance company (if they even had insurance). I seriously doubt the company has insurance, but it should be mandatory for any tour company to have a big umbrella insurance policy to cover such incidents as is required in most civilized countries.

I couldn't agree more with the insurance issue, it should be compulsory and controlled. It should be applicable to every vendor either renting or transporting personnel at sea. Boat cox'ns should be qualified for the vessels they are in charge off and have a working knowledge of the rule of the road. Not rocket science and not difficult.

IMHO, there are far too many incidents (one being too many) that could be totally avoided in all the Thai resort areas. Yes, I know it is Thailand, but believe me, if someone in authority had the balls to push this point, it would be a much safer tourist destination, which can only make sense to TAT and the economic well being of these destinations and the communities that rely on the tourist.

Might even lead me to take up boat driving again..............wink.png

Not

I agree with not sitting in the bow. Unfortunately I learned that the hard way (although not as hard as this poor lady).

I will not agree to sit in the bow at all any more. Never feel shy to do it either, politeness or fear of offending can really get you hurt in these situations.

Something not right here - I bet she has been paid off not to make a complaint

Why? If here insurance company pays, then this is the easiest way for her as she can handle all claims back in Sweden instead of having to deal with a Thai insurance company.

But I hope that her insurance company will claim the Thai insurance company so that there will be a feed back to the tour operator. Otherwise they never learn.

Her insurance will not claim with the company's insurance. First they'd have to go to court in thailand and the ciurt would have to find the tour company liable for the damage. Unless of course the tour company wilingly admits they're liable.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Very nice of her to not want to "get anyone else in trouble" but seriously, someone needs to take responsibility for this, specifically the speedboat company and the (not so bright) "captain" as well as their insurance company (if they even had insurance). I seriously doubt the company has insurance, but it should be mandatory for any tour company to have a big umbrella insurance policy to cover such incidents as is required in most civilized countries.

I couldn't agree more with the insurance issue, it should be compulsory and controlled. It should be applicable to every vendor either renting or transporting personnel at sea. Boat cox'ns should be qualified for the vessels they are in charge off and have a working knowledge of the rule of the road. Not rocket science and not difficult.

IMHO, there are far too many incidents (one being too many) that could be totally avoided in all the Thai resort areas. Yes, I know it is Thailand, but believe me, if someone in authority had the balls to push this point, it would be a much safer tourist destination, which can only make sense to TAT and the economic well being of these destinations and the communities that rely on the tourist.

Not

Accident insurance is compulsory and controlled.

Not

Is public liability insurance compulsory or just accident?

She saw the rough water and decided to get on the boat. Her choice.

Actually where most speed boats depart from ( Chalong Bay) the water is very calm compared to the open ocean that is experienced after passing out of the bay. The seas go from a half metre side swell to 1.5-2.0 metre side swells. There is no way for any tourist to know this and of course they are trusting their "captain".

Not

Is public liability insurance compulsory or just accident?

Accident.

Wow you lost the plot on what "Captain" in any other country that Thailand is.

"If all else fails, do what the captain says" is the old adage. That's why he's got title.

Poor people and in there good years. Wish the communication would get out to the masses of the gross neglagence here obviously

I think the the title Captain is used loosely here.

• Like 1

There is always somebody isn't there. You've been here to long haven't you,must be a conspiracy somewhere

Broken back, steel screws and she doesnt want to complain? I am calling BS on this!

How would she explain to her insurance about the costs?

So yes there is someone, with a degree of common sense

There is always somebody isn't there. You've been here to long haven't you,must be a conspiracy somewhere

Broken back, steel screws and she doesnt want to complain? I am calling BS on this!

Come on, of course there is no conspiracy.

She does not have to explain to her insurance, just: had an accident, tumbled down in a speedboat and now I'm hurt.

Come on, of course there is no conspiracy.

She does not have to explain to her insurance, just: had an accident, tumbled down in a speedboat and now I'm hurt.

I never mentioned conspiracy, but to not want to complain - again i call BS

Not

OK, my bad. You are saying that all vessels that are used to transfer personnel at sea in Phuket are registered as such, and all carry accident insurance for the passengers?

If that is indeed the case, then I am impressed. It is good to see that some office is taking responsibility for the well-being of all ferried tourists.

Not

OK, my bad. You are saying that all vessels that are used to transfer personnel at sea in Phuket are registered as such, and all carry accident insurance for the passengers?

If that is indeed the case, then I am impressed. It is good to see that some office is taking responsibility for the well-being of all ferried tourists.

No, that is not what I am saying. I am saying accident insurance is compulsory and checked as well, same as insurance for motor vehicles is compulsory and checked.

And who are the people checking those who do the "checking" ?

Is it not also mandatory for motorcycle riders to have a driving licence , insurance and wear a crash helmet ???

The Swedish insurance company would require a full police report to eliminate exclusions to the policy . I wouldn't be surprised if help in arranging this was not given in return for not implicating the operator in any negligence etc.

As for filing a complaint.......

The Swedish insurance company would require a full police report to eliminate exclusions to the policy .

Nonsense.

Such a dismissive retort only serves to enhance your ignorance .

• Like 1

The Swedish insurance company would require a full police report to eliminate exclusions to the policy .

Nonsense.

Such a dismissive retort only serves to enhance your ignorance .
If you write nonsense you get that information. And there is nothing much to add as well. Her insurance will cover, as clearly stated earlier in the thread. But still you feel the need to come with 'information' that is blatently not true.

Wow you lost the plot on what "Captain" in any other country that Thailand is.

"If all else fails, do what the captain says" is the old adage. That's why he's got title.

Poor people and in there good years. Wish the communication would get out to the masses of the gross neglagence here obviously

I think the the title Captain is used loosely here.

It's actually called a "certificate of competence" (I have one) and it is a total joke. My Thai wife even got one and she knows nothing about boats. It's actually more difficult to get a driving licence here than a boat captain certificate.