Importing Award Winning Devon Cider Into Thailand

nonthaburial

My wife and I, who are based in China, are the sole agents for certain South East Asian countries for a very popular Devon (UK) Cider.

We have been importing to China for a number of months and it has proved to be very popular, Hong Kong is next on our list, but this is our decision.

We have now been approached by a Thai interest, who also happens to be British with fingers in the food and beverage industry, but before going the road of meetings etc, I would be grateful for some advice.

One reads on here regularly of the difficulties of importing into Thailand, but does anyone know for absolute certainty the full range of duties etc applied on imported alcohol into Thailand , as I need to be sure of the finances prior to proceeding.

For interest, all our containers come from Southampton to HK then are re packed and either imported into China or redirected as would be the case with Thailand.

Many thanks

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think others will agree with me and say, first find a Thai lawyer who has experience in importation of goods. Don't rely on hearsay from the local expats.

Totally agree with your statement, however my request on here was merely putting a toe In the water so to speak, however, thank you for your reply

Or better still talk to those who have experience in importing beer products (who wont' see it as competition).. I'd suggest giving the guys at Beervana, wishbeer, smiling dog, belbev or one of the other importers a call, they are a friendly bunch and have loads of experience in bringing tasty, tasty booze in, will likely be cheaper than a lawyer and can probably suggest some good local contacts as well.

My friend has a French wine shop he tells me the import duties are horrendous to bring the stuff in however he does have a very good customer base as well as some of the top hotels on the island which he says gives him a reasonle living . There is a lady in Bangkok by the name of Will she speaks excellent English I suggest you email her will@ united-relo.com they deal with importing goods into the Kingdom so she may well be able to offer you advice tell her Ossie from samui suggested you contact her they delivered goods for me from the UK and the service was 1 st class worth giving her a try Good Luck. Cider only seems to appear on the shelves around Christmas time and if you do not buy it there and then by the next day it has gone.

One reads on here regularly of the difficulties of importing into Thailand ...

If you've been approached by someone in Thailand who has his fingers in the food industry (an ad slogan waiting to be exploited), then at least initially wouldn't you be exporting to Thailand (rather than importing into) and why not let the people with the fingers use their expertise to worry about the customs duties and import regulations? I can't imagine this rather limited market would justify you setting up an importing operation and then wholesaling your wares to businesses here. If they want an exclusive arrangement so that you only export to them for a few years, then all the bother will rest with them. In the unlikely event Award Wining booze from Devon becomes the drink of choice from Hat Yai to Chiang Rai, you can then think about setting up your own importing and distribution network. I'm guessing the only places this might sell would be the tourist centers and even there it'll be up against a lot of competing products designed to render the customer senseless regardless of how many awards it's won.

• Like 1

My wife ran a company here for several years that imported beer and British cider into Thailand and knows the ropes. You can reach her at deleted. Her English is pretty good.

You do realize that, aside from breaking forum rules, posting your wife's mobile number here is about the same as writing it on a toilet stall wall in some Walking Street bar. I hope she doesn't start getting obscene calls in the night.

There is a PM facility available for such things.

• Like 2

Duty is based not on the alcoholic volume but on the total value; hence the onerous taxes imposed on wines compared to spirits. Seemingly, cider currently attracts duty of 60% plus VAT of 7%.

There are also any number of different ciders for sale in Thailand, ranging from Magners, Bulmers and Blackthorn to Woodpecker, Thatchers and Strongbow.

60% plus vat is cheap compared to wine. I would also consider what you may be competing with when you do the pricing. I can't imagine you will break into thai drinking habits and the cheap whisky, so that leaves you with a small market of mainly British expats and tourists, but I maybe wrong.

Duty is based not on the alcoholic volume but on the total value; hence the onerous taxes imposed on wines compared to spirits. Seemingly, cider currently attracts duty of 60% plus VAT of 7%.

There are also any number of different ciders for sale in Thailand, ranging from Magners, Bulmers and Blackthorn to Woodpecker, Thatchers and Strongbow.

You're forgetting the Import Tax (54%)... Although if it's being "parallel imported" via China then you can probably drop the import tax component, given the FTA.

You're also omitting a state based tax (10%), a health tax (2%) and an education tax (1%)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

60% plus vat is cheap compared to wine. I would also consider what you may be competing with when you do the pricing. I can't imagine you will break into thai drinking habits and the cheap whisky, so that leaves you with a small market of mainly British expats and tourists, but I maybe wrong.

Same same but different...

The same taxes that you have for wine you have across the whole alcohol spectrum...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi. Few years ago I started the process and gave up. You need to get import license for the particular item, alcohol duties were

1: 60% duty on the cost. So let's say it cost you 1,000bt bottle duty would be 600bt = 1600bt.

2: The next tax was the cost at No: 1 plus the shipping cost, this total was taxed another 60% so up to now we have over 120% tax's.

3: Then we had additional tax's of 10% and a 6%.

In all it worked out at roughly 160% plus.

You should be able to get it all, go Google Thailand import duties. And then take your pills, apart from all this there is also the big possibility that you would need to pay a personal fee to the customs people.

My wife ran a company here for several years that imported beer and British cider into Thailand and knows the ropes. You can reach her at 089-897-5540. Her English is pretty good.

You do realize that, aside from breaking forum rules, posting your wife's mobile number here is about the same as writing it on a toilet stall wall in some Walking Street bar. I hope she doesn't start getting obscene calls in the night.

i would bet thats an ex-wife hes already split up with :D

magners is rebranded bulmers for differnt markets i think but havent drank cider in years ,i thought only teenagers drink that stuff :)

magners is rebranded bulmers for differnt markets i think but havent drank cider in years ,i thought only teenagers drink that stuff smile.png

Ciders are very popular in the UK but at £3-50 (182 bahts) a pint in the UK I have no idea how you would make a profit on cider in Thailand,considering the Shipping costs,Import Duties,and Distribution.

Guinness and Kilkenny are brewed in Asia and can cut their costs considerably!

• Like 1

My wife ran a company here for several years that imported beer and British cider into Thailand and knows the ropes. You can reach her at deleted. Her English is pretty good.

In the same vein, using the PM function yourself would have avoided revealing your familiarity with shit house walls in Walking Street watering holes as well.

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my request for advice, after reading these replies. Coupled with my online search results, all points to a very slippery path with regards to importing anything into Thailand.

I was interested in reading posts that commented on various aspects of Cider, we had the "scrumpy in Thailand" to " I thought it was a teenagers drink" two distinctly opposite views.

In the UK and other countries such as Finland, Cider is no longer considered a poor mans drink, in fact my research shows me that up to 13% of the over 25s in the UK are Cider drinkers, however, let's make it quite clear that the standards of Ciders differ a great deal, you have the mass produced option saturating the markets that according to CAMRA should not even be called Cider as they contain far too many chemicals, then you have the farm family produced that grow their own apples and bottle magnificent award winning products, that are totally natural and contain no additives.

One has only to look into bars and department stores in the UK to ascertain differing standards, if you should visit what I could describe as, run down low class pubs, you will find mass produced Ciders, but in establishments such as Whetherspoons, Marks & Spencers you will see up market CAMRA recognised Ciders.

It is also worth noting on my sales experiences here in China, that the un named mass produced Ciders are sold wholesale to bars etc at a much higher cost than "proper ciders" are, and yet their production cost is a fraction of family run producers ! A number of pubs I supply have now taken off their massed produced Ciders and replaced them with better more healthy options.

On a final note, an American Cider drinker here said to me last week, two pints of what was being sold here before gave me a crippling headache, whilst I can drink four pints of your products and feel great ..... WHY ? The answer is quite simply as stated above the chemical content and additives. Chalk and Cheese.

Edited by nonthaburial

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my request for advice, after reading these replies. Coupled with my online search results, all points to a very slippery path with regards to importing anything into Thailand.

nonthaburial; as you are the exporter you have nothing to lose really. That onus falls entirely on the importer here in Thailand.

nonthaburial; as you are the exporter you have nothing to lose really. That onus falls entirely on the importer here in Thailand.

Thanks GS, however it never hurts to get to the bottom of things yourself as this information gleaned can give me information on expected retail prices. And looking closer at the import tariffs, I would suggest this project would be touch and go financially. I will have to wait and talk to the interested ?Thai based party. I do intend to be in BKK next week.

Thanks again

I was interested in reading posts that commented on various aspects of Cider, we had the "scrumpy in Thailand" to " I thought it was a teenagers drink" two distinctly opposite views.

In the UK and other countries such as Finland, Cider is no longer considered a poor mans drink, in fact my research shows me that up to 13% of the over 25s in the UK are Cider drinkers, however, let's make it quite clear that the standards of Ciders differ a great deal, you have the mass produced option saturating the markets that according to CAMRA should not even be called Cider as they contain far too many chemicals, then you have the farm family produced that grow their own apples and bottle magnificent award winning products, that are totally natural and contain no additives.

One has only to look into bars and department stores in the UK to ascertain differing standards, if you should visit what I could describe as, run down low class pubs, you will find mass produced Ciders, but in establishments such as Whetherspoons, Marks & Spencers you will see up market CAMRA recognised Ciders.

It is also worth noting on my sales experiences here in China, that the un named mass produced Ciders are sold wholesale to bars etc at a much higher cost than "proper ciders" are, and yet their production cost is a fraction of family run producers ! A number of pubs I supply have now taken off their massed produced Ciders and replaced them with better more healthy options.

On a final note, an American Cider drinker here said to me last week, two pints of what was being sold here before gave me a crippling headache, whilst I can drink four pints of your products and feel great ..... WHY ? The answer is quite simply as stated above the chemical content and additives. Chalk and Cheese.

having been a cider drinker all my life I have spilt more than that American drinks on a good night,there are some bad ones on the market and some good ones,having graduated from scrumpy where we had to tie the bottom of our trousers after a session and a vindaloo on top I can remember well.as for whats available here well thatchers.john kepplers,are pretty good I would like to see scrumpy jack,as for that irish stuff even my mrs.wouldn't drink it.

I did write to mr.chang and asked why they had not researched the market but got no reply,i introduced some of my extended family to cider they thought it was better than Yabba.as for the uk.cider is the no.1 drink.

Thanks GS, however it never hurts to get to the bottom of things yourself as this information gleaned can give me information on expected retail prices. And looking closer at the import tariffs, I would suggest this project would be touch and go financially. I will have to wait and talk to the interested ?Thai based party. I do intend to be in BKK next week.

Thanks again

nonthaburial; Are you re-exporting it through China? If so, the importer can probably avoid the high import tariffs.

Maybe it's his ex-wife laugh.png