Culture Ministry: Undergarments being sold with prints of Thai flag and map

webfact

Undergarments being sold with prints of Thai flag and map
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Culture Ministry's hotline 1765 has received complaints that a US-based website is selling undergarments with the print of the Thai national flag, the Garuda symbol and Thailand's map.

The ministry's permanent secretary, Preecha Kanthiya, said yesterday that the agency had contacted the Foreign Ministry, the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology, the police and related agencies to tackle the problem of the offensively printed undergarments and those forwarding such product data.

He urged the Thai public not to support such goods, watch out for offensive items and create a good understanding among foreigners about issues that affected national dignity and integrity.

Urging people to report cultural offences via 1765, he said the ministry had produced a handbook "Do's and Don'ts According to Thai Culture", which can be downloaded via www.m-culture.go.th, www.culture.go.th and www.c-me.go.th.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-07

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, other countries flags are being sold openly at market stalls on underwear, socks, and shoes for Thai teens. The Union Jack is particularly popular.

The real trend setters have swastikas on their scooters and Hitler t-shirts to complete the look (yes, the real swastika not the Buddhist symbol).

The hypocrisy of this place never ceases to amaze me.

I recently saw a Union Jack carpet for sale in Bangkok. I asked the shop assistant if they had a Thai flag carpet too and they said they didn't stock this item. I said the Union Jack was nice but, I would rather have a Thai flag as I live here. Apparently anyone else's flag is fair game.

There have been many posts in the past, including from me, about Thais wearing shorts and T-shirts featuring cut outs of national flags with the Stars and Stripes and the Union Flag being very popular but ask if they would wear the Thai flag in such a fashion and the answer is oh so clear.

Anything not Thai is fair game but don't insult their culture.