Vegetarian in Thailand

luckysmile

Hi all I'm trialling being a vegetarian so far 6 days in , actually if it wasn't for the eggs and cottage cheer I would say I was trialling being vegan, anyway Im just curious as to how hard it would be to continue this lifestyle when I come to Thailand for my ed visa in june. Many thanks in advance for your replies

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

plenty veggies, and any restaurant will be able to serve you a vegetarian version of the fried rice, noodles, or fried veggies...some has lot more variety beyond these common ones.

buying your own is easy, there is the market, and in cities the supermarkets are another options.

if in countryside, your only trouble might be finding that cottage cheese ;)

• Like 1

- Veggies

Green leafy are very cheap 5/10/20 bath a bunch of kale but also very poisoned (200 times euro regulation)

You have to look around for organic coops that will sell you organic veg not overprices like in malls.

salad 15/20thb 2 heads, celery 5/10thb a bunch, coriander 5/10thb bunch,

- Legumes are not so popular here

The big one being of course rice you can easily find organic brown rice at around 60/70 Thb/ kg,

but they also have muang beans 40thb /kg very popular, azuki beans, job tears and kidney beans.

Imported legumes can be found in some larger supermarkets:

chick peas 40thb /500g

green lentils 130thb /kg

buckwheat 150thb/kg

Organic Quinoa 220 thb /kg

• Like 1

The local vegetarian food in my opinion is pretty bad. Tasteless, unappetising.

A lot of Thai dishes contain hidden fish sauce and/or oyster sauce making many vegetable dishes here unsuitable for vegetarians.

It's tough being a strict vegetarian here unless you cook for yourself.

• Like 2

Hi

Just noticed your post on 'Thai Visa'', not sure where in ''Thailand'' you will be residing, but I have found various Vegetarian and Vegan restaurants throughout Thailand,

Bangkok is the best place for them, as there are quite a few...

One of my biggest problems being ''Vegetarian'' here is that they do cook with fish sauces etc etc, and not only am i Vegetarian, i am a bit of a health freak, and they overload the food with ''Sugar and Salt'' and ''Soy Sauce'' which we all know is more salt..

But you mentioned,you will be cooking yourself, so thats good, there is a few Vegetarian Supermarkets going around, might be worth an idea, to start with to get someone to write in Thai, that you are Vegetarian and you dont want ''Fish Sauce'' or ''Oyster Sauce'' in your food..

Once again, Bangkok has quite a few Vegetarian restaurants,

I live in Phuket, and there is quite a few there..

I have been Vegetarian for over 35 years, and dont miss eating meat or fish....

anyway, all the best and best of luck

Cheers

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Robert the Bruce, I will be living on bkk, it's only been 6 days on vegetarian diet but now obthink I will cut the eggs and cottage cheese and go strict vegan, I have so much energy and feel happier :-)

I see , probe stick to legumes and veg then

Oh you will learn to recognize the fish tofu from the regular fresh tofu easily.

On some brands, it's even written in English in supermarkets, they are in yellowish cubes.

If you are seeking optimum health I recommend total RAW fruit and vegies only.

Coconut, banana, watermelon, apples, coconut, oranges, pineapples, grapes, coconut, pomegranate, dragon fruit, etc. are all widely available and cheap.

Cabbage, carrot, onion, garlic, lettuce, cucumber, green beans, kale, same.

Nuts too.

Minimize all grain, meat, fish, dairy, soy.

Amazing.

I'm 64 and wake up with a woody almost every day.

Could you please clarify? Waking up with a doll from Toy Story or a with famous film director accused of child sexual abuse neither seems particularly appealing.

Edit: grammar.

Edited by AyG
  • Like 1

Thanks for your input but with the amount of strength and conditioning training I'll be doing I'm going to need complex carbohydrates(rice,potatoes) and more protein so will be cooking and eating a lot or legumes , enjoy your woody :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input but with the amount of strength and conditioning training I'll be doing I'm going to need complex carbohydrates(rice,potatoes) and more protein so will be cooking and eating a lot or legumes , enjoy your woody :-)

Here potatoes are not very good, the climate is not right for it.

But you have excellent sweet potatoes with more vitamin C and A and more fibers.

Protein wise the best source is green leafy vegetable: Kale, spinach, broccoli, romaine, etc.

Could you please clarify? Waking up with a doll from Toy Story or a with famous film director accused of child sexual abuse neither seems particularly appealing.

Edit: grammar.

Search online slang dictionary, or ask you mom.

I'm parted on going raw, when trying it, my teeth got sensitive, I stopped straight away.

But I try to have salad every day.

In theory a raw food diet is good but some people's digestion is better served by steaming veggies rather than eating them raw.

I'm parted on going raw, when trying it, my teeth got sensitive, I stopped straight away.

In theory a raw food diet is good but some people's digestion is better served by steaming veggies rather than eating them raw.

I really did not have a digesting problem, contrarily to my entire life as a meat and dairy eater.

I juiced a lot of the veg, in smoothies and soups.

Really the hard part was on teeth

Sorry to hear that.

Good dental hygiene is important.

Regardless of diet, consider dropping tooth-paste in favor of baking soda, and rinsing with hydrogen peroxide (3%) to kill any bacteria and eliminate gingivitis.

Both are locally available and cheap.

Raw seems very drastic to most people, but the health benefits are profound.

?Karmic benefits too?

I'm getting used to it okay.

Sorry to hear that.

Good dental hygiene is important.

Regardless of diet, consider dropping tooth-paste in favor of baking soda, and rinsing with hydrogen peroxide (3%) to kill any bacteria and eliminate gingivitis.

Both are locally available and cheap.

Raw seems very drastic to most people, but the health benefits are profound.

?Karmic benefits too?

I'm getting used to it okay.

The thing is there is not enough statistics like on big scale tests, to prove we don't need cooked food or all cooked food are carcinogenic

You can find equal numbers of people on vegan whole food who are thriving/athletes

then It's just down to people saying they love it, but you also have people dropping raw diet and going back to cooked foods.

Also; Quid of the goodness of lentils, beans, grains, sweet potatoes etc?

Edited by Kitsune