The "To Jomtien" baht bus queue in South Pattaya a cauldron of violence

Jingthing

"Violence is always boiling under the surface at this baht bus queue"

How very dramatic and sinister.

What probably happened is that the "enforcers" shoved the guy's wife to get her to squeeze in more.

The guy took offence (eg nobody touches my wife like that) and started acting stroppy with the Thai people. Russian men are chivalrous but not dignified enough to refrain from violence.

There was no communication because he didn't speak English and they don't speak much Russian.

They sorted it out via the universal language of physical violence.

This happens all the time in Pattaya. It might not be right but that's what Pattaya is all about... rawness and carnal spontaneity.

What I find sad is that you get upset after witnessing it for 30 minutes without considering how these Thai people feel working is such an environment all day?

Like I said to you in a PM. Try getting away from Pattaya and spend some time up north in the real Thailand. Then come back and you'll see the sadness in the Thai people's eyes because they're working in Pattaya 24/7. Maybe then you'll find some compassion for your fellow Thai brother instead of regarding them all as uncultured animals.

I must admit that I was blind as first. After a while, and having some time away for a visa run, I came back and saw. I saw it in the eyes if the Thai people who have to endure the madness of Pattaya. The eyes don't lie.

Edited by RandomSand

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are reading too much into this from a psychological POV.

It's a very badly managed queue.

It heats up during high season/when the crowds get bigger.

Yes during those times there is generally constant underlying tension that is just on the EDGE of violence and only needs a trivial SPARK for violence to actually break out.

A great amount of that tension and unpleasantness could be managed away if the THAIS (this is Thailand after all) who own the local transport monopoly CARED about the customer experience.

Of course they don't care about that.

Not one tiny little bit. That is totally obvious.

I think that stinks and I don't mind saying it.

I wonder if anyone who knows the MAYOR is reading this.

Perhaps he might want to go in disguise and experience first hand what a wonderful transport experience his tourism city is serving up?!?

Yes Pattaya is a TOURISM city.

That is the PRODUCT of Pattaya.

They can do better.

They DESERVE criticism of their major faults.

Anytime you read the international press about Pattaya tourism, the general line is Pattaya HAS improved but it is not there yet, and not sure if it will EVER get there. As a long term expat, I can say it will indeed NEVER get there if something as basic as violence free, predictable mass transportation with WIDER coverage (complemented by taxi METERS) can't seem to happen, and it's pretty obvious that the real power structures here are heavily invested in that never happening.

So the city promoters are speaking out of both sides of their mouths. They claim to want a world class resort but they don't even seem to SEE one of the major flaws for the customer experience -- their monopoly transport system.

Yes it's part of Thai culture to totally disrespect pedestrians and people using buses ... but as a global mass tourism city, the smart thing would be to see things in a LESS THAI way.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Try getting away from Pattaya and spend some time up north in the real Thailand. Then come back and you'll see the sadness in the Thai people's eyes because they're working in Pattaya 24/7. Maybe then you'll find some compassion for your fellow Thai brother instead of regarding them all as uncultured animals.

PATHETIC, "the sadness in the Thai peoples eyes because they work in Pattaya" PATHETIC. So there are no happy Thais in Pattaya, only sad Thais, which you can see when you look in their eyes. ALL farangs must get out of Pattaya now, because your making the Thais sad. PATHETIC

• Like 1

Try getting away from Pattaya and spend some time up north in the real Thailand. Then come back and you'll see the sadness in the Thai people's eyes because they're working in Pattaya 24/7. Maybe then you'll find some compassion for your fellow Thai brother instead of regarding them all as uncultured animals.

PATHETIC, "the sadness in the Thai peoples eyes because they work in Pattaya" PATHETIC. So there are no happy Thais in Pattaya, only sad Thais, which you can see when you look in their eyes. ALL farangs must get out of Pattaya now, because your making the Thais sad. PATHETIC

Better to be the solution than the cause. Up to you.

• Like 1

Jingthing; If there were a petition started on thaivisa, signed by all ex-pats who want to better baht bus system, what would you think that petition should specifically address?

Keep in mind that it wouldn't be a very good petition if It was just ranting and criticizing.

post-175321-0-99848000-1392235731_thumb.

They don't look very Thai.

You can't have a world class tourism urban beach resort without REAL metered taxis and with the main form of public transport being run by such a high number of obviously emotionally unstable and sometimes actually VIOLENT operators.

World class tourism urban beach resort? It's Pattaya. Where do you dream up this drivel, Jingthing.

Not to mention how many are totally crazy DRIVERS.

You were earlier insistent that the buses were relatively safe. Good, live with it.

"Violence is always boiling under the surface at this baht bus queue"

How very dramatic and sinister.

What probably happened is that the "enforcers" shoved the guy's wife to get her to squeeze in more.

The guy took offence (eg nobody touches my wife like that) and started acting stroppy with the Thai people. Russian men are chivalrous but not dignified enough to refrain from violence.

There was no communication because he didn't speak English and they don't speak much Russian.

They sorted it out via the universal language of physical violence.

This happens all the time in Pattaya. It might not be right but that's what Pattaya is all about... rawness and carnal spontaneity.

What I find sad is that you get upset after witnessing it for 30 minutes without considering how these Thai people feel working is such an environment all day?

Like I said to you in a PM. Try getting away from Pattaya and spend some time up north in the real Thailand. Then come back and you'll see the sadness in the Thai people's eyes because they're working in Pattaya 24/7. Maybe then you'll find some compassion for your fellow Thai brother instead of regarding them all as uncultured animals.

I must admit that I was blind as first. After a while, and having some time away for a visa run, I came back and saw. I saw it in the eyes if the Thai people who have to endure the madness of Pattaya. The eyes don't lie.

At one point in my life I was both poor and sad, but I had no desire to attack foreigners and be rude, etc. Consider that Thais, in both the rural areas and urban areas, are the product of a culture that is now firmly rooted in xenophobia, greed and corruption. Yes, Issan farmers who drive taxis in Thailand and many other Thais who are here trying to make money are very sad and sensitive people can see that beneath the fake smiles. But that is no excuse for xenophobic-like behavior and associated violence. Having said that, a "culture of violence" seems to have taken hold worldwide. There are many reasons for this (e.g. overpopulation and a collapsing global economy; terrible political leadership). The fact is that rudeness, violence, xenophobia and even corruption and greed have increased dramatically in Thailand over the past 20 years, especially since a particular politician who is now in exile abroad took over. We would not have even thought about this 20 years ago. The idea of a Thai beating a farang--much less a gang of Thais doing so--was unheard of back then (yes, no doubt with some effort an exception can be found, but exceptions do not make rules). Things have changed for the worse. It does not help that we now have lots of farangs over here who are oblivious to "six people on each side baht bus rule" and refuse to move their fat backsides when they get on the baht bus. I do not like the baht bus mafia, but I have noticed that some "handlers/herders" are trying to learn a few simple Russian words in order to (I presume) inform Russians to move over and make room for others. We do need a better system. Rails like you find in a waiting line in a bank might help. One major positive development would be for the police to stop and fine every baht bus driver who refuses to stop for farangs or is out "trolling" for a group of suckers. Empty baht buses are all over Pattaya-Jomtien and that causes a "jam" at the cue. Many baht buses refuse to turn right towards Jomtien after the turn from beach road. Others going in the opposite direction refuse to turn left towards Jomtien. This is a real problem that needs to be fixed, but the baht bus mafia does not want to fix it. In terms of "five stars," the baht bus system (transportation system) in Pattaya-Jomtien gets maybe 1/2 a star.

• Like 1

Unfortunatley again- this has been dragged off topic. Bottom line, are you honestly riipping appart the system that charges you 10baht to potentially go a few kilometers? And this isn't about the Thasi or their culture(which we should respect !) . This is about rude, aggresive Russians- who, as far as I can see are ruining this place...

And I agree with the OP, drove past there last night it is indeed a 'couldron of violence'.....Potentialy !

Edited by ginglee
  • Like 1

Unfortunatley again- this has been dragged off topic. Bottom line, are you honestly riipping appart the system that charges you 10baht to potentially go a few kilometers? And this isn't about the Thasi or their culture(which we should respect !) . This is about rude, aggresive Russians- who, as far as I can see are ruining this place...

And I agree with the OP, drove past there last night it is indeed a 'couldron of violence'.....Potentialy !

I disagree. First, this is not getting off topic. Second, it is about BOTH Russian culture and Thai culture. Let me assure you that Thai culture has changed in terms of the way foreigners are treated. There was no obvious "culture of violence" 10-20 years ago. Now violence is seen as the solution to virtually any conflict; any insult can get you killed, minor or not. Given that, the potential for violence has been elevated. It is not an exageration to refer to the situation as a "cauldron of violence." It almost happened to me today. I waited patiently. Then some Russians rushed in front of me. I tried to sit down in a place where 4 people sat, but one girl was saving a place (guess for her Russian friend). I let that friend sit down. Then there were five Russians on one side and they refused to make room for me, even though the "herder" was yelling at them to move. I finally just exited and got the next baht bus. That pissed me off! I do not like rude, stupid behavior any more than Thais do. But, my point about culture is that, in the past, the idea of Thais acting in a violent, aggressive manner against farangs was almost unheard of. A culture of violence is spreading in Thailand and people need to be aware of that fact and act accordingly (take a deep breath, smile and walk away). The fact that it cost 10 baht is not the point. The point is that spening 10 baht on the system could end up getting you killed or beaten. I am not going to respond. We either agree or disagree.

• Like 2

Yes during those times there is generally constant underlying tension that is just on the EDGE of violence and only needs a trivial SPARK for violence to actually break out.

A great amount of that tension and unpleasantness could be managed away if the THAIS (this is Thailand after all) who own the local transport monopoly CARED about the customer experience.

Perhaps he might want to go in disguise and experience first hand what a wonderful transport experience his tourism city is serving up?!?

They can do better.

Anytime you read the international press about Pattaya tourism, the general line is Pattaya HAS improved but it is not there yet, and not sure if it will EVER get there. As a long term expat, I can say it will indeed NEVER get there if something as basic as violence free, predictable mass transportation with WIDER coverage (complemented by taxi METERS) can't seem to happen, and it's pretty obvious that the real power structures here are heavily invested in that never happening.

So the city promoters are speaking out of both sides of their mouths. They claim to want a world class resort but they don't even seem to SEE one of the major flaws for the customer experience -- their monopoly transport system.

Yes it's part of Thai culture to totally disrespect pedestrians and people using buses ... but as a global mass tourism city, the smart thing would be to see things in a LESS THAI way.

Interesting that you think the mayor might be able to sort this out. Here's a couple of quotes taken from the Pattaya Mail back in March 2011 about the Jet ski problems on the beach.

“I know your game and your cards have been marked,” Itthiphol, writing on his online Facebook page, said he told the jet ski vendors.

‘Why are you causing so many problems? What makes you think you can behave in this way? It’s not Thai and it’s not good,’” Itthiphol wrote.http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/mayor-declares-war-on-scamming-pattaya-jet-ski-vendors-2140

Nothing appears to have changed there and it seems very unlikely that he would be any more effective here.

You can't have a world class tourism urban beach resort without REAL metered taxis and with the main form of public transport being run by such a high number of obviously emotionally unstable and sometimes actually VIOLENT operators.

World class tourism urban beach resort? It's Pattaya. Where do you dream up this drivel, Jingthing.

Gotta agree, Pattaya, a world class urban beach resort? Maybe in its heyday. Certainly not today.

Definitely doesn't compare favorably to the urban beaches in S California, East Coast USA, Mexico's beaches or even the Texas or Florida Gulf Coast. Unless you're focused on the price of sex, rooms and getting drunk. Even getting drunk isn't that much cheaper.

BTW, love Jomtien, from about 5 miles south of the strip and down to Bang Saray. I'm not a Thailand or a Thai hater.

Edited by impulse

They can do better.

Interesting that you think the mayor might be able to sort this out. Here's a couple of quotes taken from the Pattaya Mail back in March 2011 about the Jet ski problems on the beach.

“I know your game and your cards have been marked,” Itthiphol, writing on his online Facebook page, said he told the jet ski vendors.

‘Why are you causing so many problems? What makes you think you can behave in this way? It’s not Thai and it’s not good,’” Itthiphol wrote.http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/mayor-declares-war-on-scamming-pattaya-jet-ski-vendors-2140

Nothing appears to have changed there and it seems very unlikely that he would be any more effective here.

I don't think the current mayor WILL sort this out.

It was a rhetorical SARCASTIC suggestion only.

I do think A mayor of Pattaya COULD sort this out if she wanted to!

Of course the current powers that be don't care about anything unless it seriously impacts the BS they try to sell to the global travel industry.

The actual truth on the ground, the actual tourism customer experience is not of interest.

In crisis bad international news stories. like foreigners getting murdered in cold blood during the day on the beach, it's always just a short time show crackdown for the press.

Yes, I know the score.

Edited by Jingthing

I think you are encouraging me to use transport methods with a high risk of physical injury or death. Objectively much higher than riding baht buses, which though often unpleasant, have a very low fatality rate. I say no thanks. I'm really sick of people preaching to me to not use baht buses. Again, if you aren't interested in baht bus topics, don't read them and certainly don't bother posting to them.

Also, I won't be moving to Pattaya. If I do decide to sell in Jomtien, which wouldn't be easy or practical, I would more likely leave Thailand entirely than move to Pattaya!

Also, whether I personally use the buses or not (I will) is not really the point. The buses are a BIG thing in Pattaya for the general public, and as long as I do ride them, and stuff happens that I observe that is worthy of public discussion, that's about the baht bus riding public and not specifically about me.

ha ha you just dont get it do you??

I am not you.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is informative?

Nevarminda.....how about this? Charter the baht/bath bus and consider random acts of communal kindness........

You might summon the driver to pick up people's of unknown nationality?

Spanish for instance.....perhaps some Brits and soviets.

Someone as yourself living in a ten million BATH condo should afford themselves/self a bit luxury and well being.

I disagree. First, this is not getting off topic. Second, it is about BOTH Russian culture and Thai culture. Let me assure you that Thai culture has changed in terms of the way foreigners are treated. There was no obvious "culture of violence" 10-20 years ago. Now violence is seen as the solution to virtually any conflict; any insult can get you killed, minor or not. Given that, the potential for violence has been elevated. It is not an exageration to refer to the situation as a "cauldron of violence." It almost happened to me today. I waited patiently. Then some Russians rushed in front of me. I tried to sit down in a place where 4 people sat, but one girl was saving a place (guess for her Russian friend). I let that friend sit down. Then there were five Russians on one side and they refused to make room for me, even though the "herder" was yelling at them to move. I finally just exited and got the next baht bus. That pissed me off! I do not like rude, stupid behavior any more than Thais do. But, my point about culture is that, in the past, the idea of Thais acting in a violent, aggressive manner against farangs was almost unheard of. A culture of violence is spreading in Thailand and people need to be aware of that fact and act accordingly (take a deep breath, smile and walk away). The fact that it cost 10 baht is not the point. The point is that spening 10 baht on the system could end up getting you killed or beaten. I am not going to respond. We either agree or disagree.

My point was that this has been trurned yet again into a 'Thai bashing thread'... You, like many guys on here, at any opportunity, will run down the system and country you are benifiting from. You refer to the bus sytem as being a 1/2 star service, run by an aggresive mafia gang, and that Thai people are Xenophobic greedy corrupt people....I very much disagree with you ! If you think you are not getting value for money and are scared, then take an alternative method of transport. But don't rip it appart, then continue to use it.

Being big, fair and blue eyed, I often get taken for a Russian. A few times at Tuk-com, before I open my mouth I'm greeted with a very unpleasant reception by staff. But as soon as I start talking, and they can see that I'm not Russian, the attutude changes. I honestly think the Thais are just reactive to these people, and clearly have had enough. It is going to get worse, and the OPs example of the bus stop situation is just one of many that could potentially be a 'cauldron of violence'.

And a 10 baht will not get you beaten up or killed...but direspecting Thais may...It's the nature of the beast. And these Russians don't posses the intelect to work that out....And yes, no need for you to respond...we just have different opinions.

• Like 1

What do you expect for using a service for Thais that are too poor to afford even an old scooter to get around? (And, evidently Farangs too poor to buy a scooter....) simple solution is to buy your own transport, then you may even get to see some of the country apart from trundling up to Jomtien in the back of someone's old pickup every day.

Still, thanks for the entertaining read, jingting reminds me of the lead character out of my favourite book "A Confederacy of dunces" he should seriously consider compiling all these experiences into prose.

• Like 1

What do you expect for using a service for Thais that are too poor to afford even an old scooter to get around? (And, evidently Farangs too poor to buy a scooter....)

Bet you'd say the same about the unwashed masses of dot.com gazillionaires riding the cable cars in San Francisco, or the billionaires who ride mass transit into Manhattan to work every day...

I can afford a scooter. In fact, I have a scooter. It stays parked because of the inherent danger of 2 wheeled vehicles, not even specific to Thai roads. 4 wheels, a sidewall and a roof are extremely handy to have around me in an accident- even if I do have to share the bench with others.

Mass transit and public transport systems don't have to suck.

• Like 1

Western countries have civilised and regulated mass transit systems. Thailand doesn't. It has some cranky old crack head guys driving old pickups around so poor people can get from A to B. If you are concerned about your safety why not buy a cheap car? If you have an accident while sitting unrestrained in the back of a pickup you are in for a world of hurt.

• Like 1

Western countries have civilised and regulated mass transit systems. Thailand doesn't. It has some cranky old crack head guys driving old pickups around so poor people can get from A to B. If you are concerned about your safety why not buy a cheap car? If you have an accident while sitting unrestrained in the back of a pickup you are in for a world of hurt.

Err.. Pattay doesn't. Bangkok does. In fact Bangkok has an incredible array of transport options - from BTS to Taxis that play fair to walking on an elevated sidewalk.

But outside of Bangkok you are correct.

Singapore is supposed to be good too.

My point was that this has been trurned yet again into a 'Thai bashing thread'...

Is the "jet ski scam" thread "thai bashing" ? or is it a racist thread ?

• Like 1

Pattaya is a city geared toward the tourist trade. It's not reasonable to expect a bunch of tourists to buy cars for their 2 week stay.

And if all the tourists decided to be safe and rented cars, there wouldn't be enough pavement in Pattaya to park them all, much less move them around.

I have grand recollections of the hardships I have shared with travel mates on holiday over the years. Cramming 7 of us into a Ford Pinto, sleeping 10 to a room because there were no more rooms available, laying in agony that night because we forgot the sunblock, and many others. Good times, great memories.

Getting the crap beat out of me for violating some unwritten rule at a baht bus queue wouldn't fit in that same category of fond memory of a holiday hardship.

Thailand can do public and mass transport right. Bangkok is a great example. Pattaya- not so much.

• Like 1

Slice of life.

Some people seem to want a happy face story, so here goes!

Last night boarding at the crowded "Cauldron of Violence" queue, stressful as usual, but upon boarding it was a rather unusual ride.

In back of the bus (filled with Russians) was a Thai on a motorbike with a novelty passenger.

He was holding a small dog who was wearing a small doggie HELMET!

I have never seen a crowd of Russian tourists so happy, so animated, so smiling, for so long.

During the entire ride up the hill, the bike driver (obviously a ham) stayed directly behind the baht bus. The crowd was delighted! Smiling and laughing, half of them were taking movies of the cute doggie!

It felt like this ride was the highlight of their trip abroad. Something they would be talking about to their grandchildren. The enthusiasm was so over the top, perhaps even the peak experience of their entire lives! It made me feel quite JADED. I looked at the dog for a few seconds, thought oh that's a cute dog, then looked away (more fascinated by the Russians!), and that was it.

Thai tourism authorities -- more dogs with helmets. Get on it. Woof woof!

Edited by Jingthing

Yesterday at the S.Pattaya-to-Jomtien bus queue:

As I arrived at the intersection from Jomtien at 240pm and crossed the street to walk toward Tukcom, I noticed that the throng of people (maybe 30 or so?) were loosely gathered IN A LINE stretching toward the north. There was no baht bus available at that moment so they were just waiting.

When I was ready to depart back to Jomtien around 415pm, I was bracing myself for a chaotic ordeal, expecting the usual confusion and line jumpers. Quite the contrary: an organized queue of about 30 people. Buses were lined up and as one filled up another one backed up to fill up and so on. I was able to board the third bus. Not a single person jumped to the beginning of the line. EVERYBODY calmly and quietly just joint the end of the queue. And, yes, a majority of the people were Russian tourists.

Nobody was organizing/enforcing the queue system. It just seemed to happen.

Was I in an alternate dimension??? blink.png

• Like 1

My point was that this has been trurned yet again into a 'Thai bashing thread'...

Is the "jet ski scam" thread "thai bashing" ? or is it a racist thread ?

Depends how you look at it...but if the points interest you, why don't you open a new thread ?

Yesterday at the S.Pattaya-to-Jomtien bus queue:

As I arrived at the intersection from Jomtien at 240pm and crossed the street to walk toward Tukcom, I noticed that the throng of people (maybe 30 or so?) were loosely gathered IN A LINE stretching toward the north. There was no baht bus available at that moment so they were just waiting.

When I was ready to depart back to Jomtien around 415pm, I was bracing myself for a chaotic ordeal, expecting the usual confusion and line jumpers. Quite the contrary: an organized queue of about 30 people. Buses were lined up and as one filled up another one backed up to fill up and so on. I was able to board the third bus. Not a single person jumped to the beginning of the line. EVERYBODY calmly and quietly just joint the end of the queue. And, yes, a majority of the people were Russian tourists.

Nobody was organizing/enforcing the queue system. It just seemed to happen.

Was I in an alternate dimension??? blink.png

Apparently the night hours brings out the worst in people. I have used the baht system at all times of the day and have also noticed the change in people at night. An orderly system with roped off queues and proper signage is still desired.