The "To Jomtien" baht bus queue in South Pattaya a cauldron of violence

Jingthing

Good Grief man, havent you been here long enough to know not to board buses in the queue areas ? Yes. On Pattaya Tai,on right side, between Beach and 2nd rd intersection you can flag a ride to Jomtien. And you do have better things to do than educate Russians and deal with angry drivers.

If you read the thread, you would already know why I (and many others) do not do that, especially in high season. Somehow I doubt you use this system very often or recently to have such a strong opinion that reflects ignorance of the actual situation. I wasn't talking about drivers at the queue. I was talking about the gang that acts like prison camp guards. They don't drive. Got it now?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Pattaya Tai about halfway up to intersection from Walking street Just past bamboo bar, in front of watch shop. I frequently hi/low season flag down buses who will stop on right side. These buses sometimes are empty or just several passengers. They make the right turn toward Jomtien without stopping in queue area. No ignorant Russians no gangs of angry Thais. I would be surprised if anyone would choose the queue hassel over the above.

*Also it helps to wave a 20 baht when flagging down buses here. It nots worth ruining your day for 10 baht.

Edited by morrobay

On Pattaya Tai about halfway up to intersection from Walking street Just past bamboo bar, in front of watch shop. I frequently hi/low season flag down buses who will stop on right side. These buses sometimes are empty or just several passengers. They make the right turn toward Jomtien without stopping in queue area. No ignorant Russians no gangs of angry Thais. I would be surprised if anyone would choose the queue hassel over the above.

I smell major BS.

If you do that and don't talk to them, you have no real knowledge they are going to Jomtien at all (they could be go straight on Pattaya Tai, turn left, go towards Jomtien and turn into the hill, etc.

So are you saying you TALK to them?

If you talk to them, very often that opens up the question of are you CHARTERING their truck.

Dude I have been on buses like that who do turn towards Jomtien.

Talk to them, ask Jomtien, and every time that have told me NO!

Your advice is fine if you don't mind a good chance they won't go where you want to go with that bus.

Basically it's a crap shoot. Do you perhaps see the value of PREDICTABILITY in public transport?

With the queue if you can be boarded alive, you know where it is going for sure.

So basically, you are suggesting you prefer your kind of stress (unpredictability and possible conflict over the fare if you talk to them) over the kind of stress people can expect using the queue. Great, do that, don't insult everyone who chooses differently.

Again, it's obvious to me you don't rely on the system for your regular transportation, recently.

That's fine.

But this thread is about the queue and those (for good reasons in my view) who choose to use the queue.

As this thread is about the queue, do you think it's cool to try to divert this thread into insulting people who use the queue?

Dude, many many people do use the queue and as such the issues there are of interest to THOSE people. Not you? Fine!

Edited by Jingthing

I smell major BS.

If you do that and don't talk to them, you have no real knowledge they are going to Jomtien at all (they could be go straight on Pattaya Tai, turn left, go towards Jomtien and turn into the hill, etc.

If you talk to them, very often that opens up the question of are you CHARTERING their truck.

Your advice is fine if you don't mind a good chance they won't go where you want to go with that bus.

Basically it's a crap shoot. Do you perhaps see the value of PREDICTABILITY in public transport?

With the queue if you can be boarded alive, you know where it is going for sure.

So basically, you are suggesting you prefer your kind of stress (unpredictability and possible conflict over the fare if you talk to them) over the kind of stress people can expect using the queue. Great, do that, don't insult everyone who chooses differently.

Again, it's obvious to me you don't rely on the system for your regular transportation, recently.

That's fine.

But this thread is about the queue and those (for good reasons in my view) who choose to use the queue.

As this thread is about the queue, do you think it's cool to try to divert this thread into insulting people who use the queue?

Dude, many many people do use the queue and as such the issues there are of interest to THOSE people. Not you? Fine!

I catch these busses from Pattaya to Jomtien regularly , I know this has been mentioned before but there's No Need to deal with the hoards at the corner.

You can get a bus going to Jomtien along the stretch of Pattaya Tai from Bamboo bar to 2nd Rd.; if they are in the right hand lane they will turn right ( to Jomtien) ,don't talk to the driver! what I do is indicate to the driver by pointing around the corner , he either nods or waves you away. If I don't get one there then I cross Second Rd & walk past the angry mob at the corner down to the end of the school ground and start looking there , I've never had to walk too far along before getting a half full or usually nearly empty one to get to Jomtien at any time of the day , can take longer at night , but still better than being bullied in to the bus on the corner.

I smell major BS.

That's fine.

I catch these busses from Pattaya to Jomtien regularly , I know this has been mentioned before but there's No Need to deal with the hoards at the corner.

You can get a bus going to Jomtien along the stretch of Pattaya Tai from Bamboo bar to 2nd Rd.; if they are in the right hand lane they will turn right ( to Jomtien) ,don't talk to the driver! what I do is indicate to the driver by pointing around the corner , he either nods or waves you away. If I don't get one there then I cross Second Rd & walk past the angry mob at the corner down to the end of the school ground and start looking there , I've never had to walk too far along before getting a half full or usually nearly empty one to get to Jomtien at any time of the day , can take longer at night , but still better than being bullied in to the bus on the corner.

I have used your method one time successfully in high season. Most often, out of frustration waiting 20-30 minutes, I would walk over and join the queue.

I smell major BS.

That's fine.

Agreed.

I do exactly the same for the last 3 years. There are many Baht Busses headed to Jomtien that are empty or only have a few passengers. I usually gesture or ask, "Jomtien?" The drivers are delighted to have you hop on board.

A couple times they detoured and dropped off the Russians at Pattaya Park but continued to Jomtien.

Quite often the bus us is empty and I ride solo to Jomtien. I'll give the driver a 20Bt for the executive service...

ONLY ONE TIME I boarded the baht bus at the school. What a bunch of disrespectful jerks, rudely piling in tourists, sitting there in the hot sun, until the bus was dangerously overloaded. NEVER AGAIN.

One of these days, an overloaded bus will go careening out of control down the hill into Jomtien.

There will be 2 dozen bodies flung all over the pavement. City Hall will call for action...

Edited by ZigZagMan

I smell major BS.

That's fine.

Agreed.

I do exactly the same for the last 3 years. There are many Baht Busses headed to Jomtien that are empty or only have a few passengers. I usually gesture or ask, "Jomtien?" The drivers are delighted to have you hop on board.

A couple times they detoured and dropped off the Russians at Pattaya Park but continued to Jomtien.

Quite often the bus us is empty and I ride solo to Jomtien. I'll give the driver a 20Bt for the executive service...

ONLY ONE TIME I boarded the baht bus at the school. What a bunch of disrespectful jerks, rudely piling in tourists, sitting there in the hot sun, until the bus was dangerously overloaded. NEVER AGAIN.

One of these days, an overloaded bus will go careening out of control down the hill into Jomtien.

There will be 2 dozen bodies flung all over the pavement. City Hall will call for action...

Interesting ... if I did this 100 times, how many times do you reckon the bus would --

-- Take a detour to Pattaya Park (in which there is no guarantee they will ever even take you back up the hill, YES there have been reports of this, people taken down there, and refused to be taken back, forced to pay charter fares).

-- This is why people often just get off when such a turn is made. Then they have to get another bus and in high season that might take a while if you're not willing to stand on the back. (Just note -- I am NOT willing to stand, things are easier for those who are.)

Not get a 10 baht fare. Have 20 or 100 expected

Etc.

Someone willing to try that 100 times in high season and reporting back?

Because I can assure you from the queue 100 percent of the time you'll be charged 10 baht and it will go all the way to Jomtien and down Jomtien Beach Road as well.

These other adventure games. We know it is not 100 percent. So what percent will have issues? Nobody knows. Even more "fun" if you are schlepping stuff from SHOPPING.

Yes the queue is a potentially violent horror show but the payoff is total reliability.

I think some are OVERSELLING these other options and painting them as problem free while insulting people who choose to use the queue as irrational.

Have fun!

Edited by Jingthing

JT

Can we wind this topic down now please-its getting booooooooring wink.png

Threads live or die based on continued interest.

If it bores you, don't read it Buster.

In my view, as long as the management of that queue doesn't change from being run by prison camp guard type characters, this story will continue, either in this thread or future threads.

Cheers.

JT

Can we wind this topic down now please-its getting booooooooring wink.png

Threads live or die based on continued interest.

If it bores you, don't read it Buster.

In my view, as long as the management of that queue doesn't change from being run by prison camp guard type characters, this story will continue, either in this thread or future threads.

Cheers.

What a poor attempt to go for the sympathy vote "prison camp guard type characters" I imagine there are quite a few who's famalies had to deal with real prison camp guards who will find this characterisation over the top and offensive. Do stop the whole drama queen act.
  • Like 1

Oy very! I wasn't really looking for sympathy snookums. This would be a crazy place to look for that with all the mean spirited snipers lurking about.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

JT

I can find you some usefull voluntary work at the Father Ray foundation if life is becoming so tedious?

thumbsup.gif

I smell major BS.

That's fine.

This thread is about the problems at the queue, read tile again. I do not know if you just arbitrarily like to argue or you are not tracking well. I have given information on how to get a bus to Jomtien at the above location to avoid problems at the queue. You suggesting that the information is BS is based only on your ignorance of the situation. Ie the buses in far right lane always turn right. And as some above have noted above a quick gesture or "Jomtien" to the driver, who is right next to you at this location, can confirm destination. Your faulty projection of unpredictability and statistical problems is just that. They do not exist if simple steps above are followed

I would guess that some here will appreciate the information. If you choose to continue the queue ordeal - Knock yourself out .

Edited by morrobay

Has happened to me on more than one occasion, whilst on the steps at the back of the bus in the process of boarding. Always a Russian, usually an overweight woman, trying to push me out of the way and get in front of me. Just stand firm, push your arse out to block them, turn your head slowly and stare at them. Works every time.

JT, as the frequent restaurant goer (as well as Baht bus user that you are) you surely wouldn't return to a restaurant after a couple of bad meals, or poor service would you? So why do you keep going back to the same problem, which you know exists, you also know it won't change, no matter how many arguments you have, or how many times you post on TV?

There are other options as mentioned above.

You're wrong. It's NOT the same. There are thousands of restaurants. There is ONE To Jomtien baht bus queue. No other option offers the features the queue offers as I've already mentioned (with the accompanying unfortunate downsides).

I know you love the baht buses JT, but after years of riding them how about a change of transport, may save you any more injuries or arguments with irate queue jumping passengers or yaa baahed nasty violent drivers....

How's about getting in touch with Glitter Man if you can and offer to buy his glitzy bicycle, I'm sure you'd love the change, well maybe...bah.gifbah.gif

• Like 1

He's never seen any violence. So what I saw last night EARLY EVENING (along with a large crowd) was a hallucination. Sorted. coffee1.gif

Jingthing, you're really a sensitive sort and one that doesn't read the other posts properly. If HE said HE never saw violence before, that isn't questioning your integrity, is it? If YOU saw violence that isn't the same thing. Just wondering if English is maybe not your first language here? By the way, I, that's ME, have never seen any violence either.

Don't be daft. He was suggesting it was an isolated incident. I am asserting you can FEEL the potential for violence in that queue much of the time. It is boiling under the surface. It is being "managed" EXTREMELY POORLY. It's a hazard to tourists and a PR nightmare for Pattaya tourism as it's one of the most important transport hubs in the region.

My first language was BABY TALK.

And it still is...

I'm not interested in alternatives to the queue. Maybe others are. I do not believe these other alternatives are as problem free as being sold here.

My personal experience is the queue is worth the hassle for the CERTAINTY of destination and fare, and also convenience of where it is usually works for me perfectly.

I do wish the baht bus company could set up a civilized system of crowd control there (and clamp down on the violence) but I know my wish is in vain.

JT. Why don't you learn a bit of Thai. I've been in queues or faced potential dramas as you have, but if you smile and say something to the driver such as "there's a lot of crazy Falangs out tonight, and most of them smell don't ya think?", they'll probably piss themselves and let you ride shotgun in the A/C cab.

Your apparent reluctance to engage Thais (particularly bus drivers) in conversation (in any language) as highlighted in many of your posts intrigues me. Do you assume that every engagement must by definition be one of conflict?

At last, a constuctive, intelligent solution..Thais love a joke and jest, especially in their own language. Conflict does'nt work!

I hope I'm not ting tong or men.

At last, a constuctive, intelligent solution..Thais love a joke and jest, especially in their own language. Conflict does'nt work!

You don't use this queue, do you? There is no polite conversation or joking with the bus fillers there. They are mostly just YELLING at people. Also as said they are not drivers. They are special "enforcer" workers. Cheers.

Also, maybe you noticed, I am talking about the queue experience for EVERYONE, Thai speaking and not. Many a time I have seen Thais look appalled and roll their eyes at how COARSE AND BRUTAL these little bus bosses act. It's not about speaking Thai or not speaking Thai -- it's about an environmental situation of bad management at this particular queue.

Edited by Jingthing

You don't use this queue, do you? There is no polite conversation or joking with the bus fillers there. They are mostly just YELLING at people. Also as said they are not drivers. They are special "enforcer" workers. Cheers.

Also, maybe you noticed, I am talking about the queue experience for EVERYONE, Thai speaking and not. Many a time I have seen Thais look appalled and roll their eyes at how COARSE AND BRUTAL these little bus bosses act. It's not about speaking Thai or not speaking Thai -- it's about an environmental situation of bad management at this particular queue.

I must admit you are quite correct. I have not been in that que at that awful time...I am hoping you could find alternatives.. I often take a motor bike taxi..or, perhaps wait for a kerfuffle to subside. You wont like this: what about a folding bicycle..works very well for me..cheap transport and keep fit,,,, those pounds roll off up Pratumnak ....A win win situation...