IKEA fan wants to know about IKEA BKK

THAIPHUKET

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely different, at least in terms of perception by the locals.

If you shop in IKEA in Thailand people assume that you're wealthy, whereas in the West it is considered more an "entry" market in terms of obtaining furnitures...

Items on offer and shop layout is mostly identical.

If you shop in IKEA in Thailand people assume that you're wealthy, whereas in the West it is considered more an "entry" market in terms of obtaining furnitures...

Well hey, SIZZLER is considered an upmarket restaurant for wealthy people by Thais... You have to see some of them dress up in their Sunday best to go and eat there!

• Like 1

Well hey, SIZZLER is considered an upmarket restaurant for wealthy people by Thais... You have to see some of them dress up in their Sunday best to go and eat there!

Many Thais realize Ikea is just a big warehouse selling low quality furniture, much like its cafe sells poor food. We go there occasionally, but never to buy furniture - or eat. That would be like going to McDonald's to expect decent food.

Edited by Digitalbanana
  • Like 2

You will like it if you like ikea as you say. The restaurant is not so bad. I had never eaten at one. I liked the salmon wrap things, even though eating raw fish at ikea didn't seem like the smartest thing, they were good. Decent cheesecake and the 15 baht hot dogs by the cashier are not bad either; real ketchup and mustard. I would never drive from chiang mai to go there, but to each their own.

I buy candles and kitchen gadgets and that's about it. I signed up for the Ikea family card which gives me 2 free coffees each visit :)

In terms of food, meatballs, poached salmon, spare ribs & some Thai offerings. I do like some of their pastries and cakes, but the gravlax doesn't look very good. The MIL loves the meatballs and then proceeds downstairs to have the 15 baht hot dog and 10 baht ice cream cone, then disappears whilst she raids the free cookie sample section.

I haven't bought any bed sheets as yet, a neighbour said the quality is okay. Below is a pic of the sheet guide which I'm still studying as we have imported and local beds.

One thing that irritates me is they DO not provide free shopping bags, you have to buy the same size as the yellow ones and they are blue, I believe 69 baht (could be wrong on the price). I wouldn't mind 5 or 10 baht for cheapo grocery store ones but we've got 10 of those huge bags that are useless sitting at home.

post-183262-0-32480600-1392135089_thumb.

I have bought a number of things from IKEA BKK.

I wouldn't make a special trip there, but if you are in BKK, it might be worth a visit. It is located adjacent to a huge new mall, so plenty of other venues to visit.

Their only failing is the lack of online shopping. Had I been able to buy online and have the items shipped to Naklua, it is likely that there would have been additional purchases. Strange that one person mom and pop businesses in Thailand can offer online shopping, but IKEA cannot.

Local IKEA is okay, it's very much like their every other store. On the cafe side: meatballs and coffee are fine, desserts seem to be extra-sweet to match local palate. Their food store also has some reasonable quality dark and milk chocolate bars which are cheap and stored properly - both can be an issue even in big local stores.

Their only failing is the lack of online shopping. Had I been able to buy online and have the items shipped to Naklua, it is likely that there would have been additional purchases. Strange that one person mom and pop businesses in Thailand can offer online shopping, but IKEA cannot.

Lack of catalog/online orders is pretty much official IKEA policy. Idea is that one has to see the real thing to make a buying decision (and the fact that most people can't get through the store without buying a bunch of throw pillows and candles may also have something to do with it rolleyes.gif).

Local IKEA is okay, it's very much like their every other store. On the cafe side: meatballs and coffee are fine, desserts seem to be extra-sweet to match local palate. Their food store also has some reasonable quality dark and milk chocolate bars which are cheap and stored properly - both can be an issue even in big local stores.

Lack of catalog/online orders is pretty much official IKEA policy. Idea is that one has to see the real thing to make a buying decision (and the fact that most people can't get through the store without buying a bunch of throw pillows and candles may also have something to do with it rolleyes.gif).

Lack of catalog and online orders is NOT an official IKEA policy. In countries where IKEA origin (sweden) and also others. The IKEA catalog is delivered to every person in that country by mail once a year. (FREE) And to members many times every year. And online ordering is huge

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by larsjohnsson

Many Thais realize Ikea is just a big warehouse selling low quality furniture, much like its cafe sells poor food. We go there occasionally, but never to buy furniture - or eat. That would be like going to McDonald's to expect decent food.

Rubbish. why do you go ther then if not for the food or furniture? Ikea is very popular with middle class thais and they restaurant is always full, with free hot beverage for members. Very good value. and one thing they have that is good and not available in Germany is the food shop selling scandinaviana snacks and German chocolate outside the cashier. The chocolate is 100 baht for 3 x 100 g bars and the price gradually increasing because of its popularity. The dark chocolate os wonderful. Edited by Card
  • Like 1

Lack of catalog and online orders is NOT an official IKEA policy. In countries where IKEA origin (sweden) and also others. The IKEA catalog is delivered to every person in that country by mail once a year. (FREE) And to members many times every year. And online ordering is huge

Catalog as a way of advertising has been a thing for a while, sure, as to online/phone shopping - either I've been misinformed or they finally embraced online shopping. Anyhow, thai IKEA is yet to get there.

I guess your depends on what you call an wealthy Thai.

Do Ikea BKK offer the service of a knowledgeable Sales assistant to help with selection and purchase or a 'design' service? We're needing to buy a considerable amount of furniture such as large entertainment centre units. bookcases and storage units etc. I have a list and room dimensions already so it would be much easier to explain our likes in terms of style/look and work through a complete catalog with someone knowledgeable instead of traipsing back and forth with multiple rounds around the store.

Edited by avander

Do Ikea BKK offer the service of a knowledgeable Sales assistant to help with selection and purchase or a 'design' service? We're needing to buy a considerable amount of furniture such as large entertainment centre units. bookcases and storage units etc. I have a list and room dimensions already so it would be much easier to explain our likes in terms of style/look and work through a complete catalog with someone knowledgeable instead of traipsing back and forth with multiple rounds around the store.

Hahaha....good luck.

• Like 1

Hahaha....good luck.

I thought it was a bit much to expect, particularly here in LOS. No harm in asking though... ;-)

Edited by avander

Hahaha....good luck.

I thought it was a bit much to expect, particularly here in LOS. No harm in asking though... ;-)

Sorry, really shouldn't dash your hopes mate - you might luck out.

forgive me for asking, but if you are not after what they sell in either the store or restaurant, why would you bother going?

forgive me for asking, but if you are not after what they sell in either the store or restaurant, why would you bother going?

I imagine he means he goes to Mega Bangna or perhaps he likes to follow paths?

Thaiphuket

I originally come from Hong Kong where IKEA stores are quite small, but like you I grew up with it and think some of the stuff is perfectly good for what it is.

I now live near to the Bangkok IKEA and can tell you it is a huge place, and that you will enjoy visiting. There is an IKEA restaurant too and 'supermarket' selling IKEA food.

I suggest however that you check out the Thailand website first. It is in English and very good.

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/

I really enjoy the IKEA store in BKK. I live in Pattaya and go to the Mega Mall at least

once every two months or more. Lots of ideas for small apartments, at Christmas gift

wrap was really cheap, the furniture is first class.

Food is great, but it is cafeteria style never hot enough for me, however they have

microwave ovens in the dining area where you can heat it up.

You can spend the day at this mall and the ice skateing ring is lost of fun too.

Won't buy crap from any company the is ruining the rain forests and forests in general, for profit.

Which is perfectly reasonable. However, IKEA is not one of those companies. From their website:

"IKEA only accepts wood from high conservation value forest or intact natural forest if they are verified as responsibly managed. Our long-term goal is to source all wood for IKEA products from forests certified as responsibly managed."

• Like 1

Won't buy crap from any company the is ruining the rain forests and forests in general, for profit.

Which is perfectly reasonable. However, IKEA is not one of those companies. From their website:

"IKEA only accepts wood from high conservation value forest or intact natural forest if they are verified as responsibly managed. Our long-term goal is to source all wood for IKEA products from forests certified as responsibly managed."

Yeah, mushroomdave just suffered his habitual knee-jerk reaction to a global business, making a profit of all things. Nanny state indoctrination no doubt.

And IKEA makes crap..........furniture "AND" food........enjoy the horse ball dining!!!!!

Indeed the furniture really is crap, a table we bought broke while putting it together, utter junk. However I like their lights bathroom fittings and other things, just don't buy the furniture! The 'wood' is mostly cheap chipboard, MDF and the like, and overpriced pine.

Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

Anyone can say what they want on "THEIR OWN" website......and what they pay their PR firm for............I'll take the truth any day over a PR dept.......and can find many "facts" from reputable organizations at what they are doing........believe what you want........big corporation profits vs. truth