Bangkok to Khai Yai by motorbike?

Nayet

I'm considering a weekend trip up to Khai yai, and I was wondering if riding there on a scooter type motor bike (125cc) is at all realistic? Riding on the expressway I guess is out of the question, but are there alternative routes? Anyone who's done this?

Try "Khao Yai".

Starting from where??

I see a lot of regular Thai motorcycles on the highway going up that way, Bangkok to Saraburi then right on to Hwy 2 up to Pak Chong and the turnoff to Khao Yai.

But BE REAL CAREFUL, lots and lots of traffic, heavy trucks, all sorts just zipping along.

Mac

Aargghhh, I know it's Khao Yai and nothing else. If there is an edit button, they've hidden it well.

I am in Phrakhanong. Anyway, thanks for your response. I can't seem to remember if I've seen any scooters on highway 2 when I've gone up that way, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable doing it myself. Though surface streets may be too slow, if there even are any.

if you are able to keep a pace of at least 80 kph..should have no problem, it is a around 200km ride but, as already mentioned by another poster, lot of trucks and other "fancy" mean of transportation in the slow lane..be careful

Yeah, we took both ways up Onnut and up Rammkamhaeng to Khao Yai. Both were decent, but Onnut gets pretty rough because alot of 10 wheel trucks hauling stuff and a few months ago there was alot of road construction. So for the first hour or so, it goes a little slow and rough, then you get to so pretty awesome twisty back roads. Easy on a scooter, as I passed many on my way. And if you go these ways you can come up to Khao Yai a different way than most, so more fun.

On a scooter, just take it slow...no need to rush and make noise like some of the other less caring riders on big bikes do, appreciate the surroundings.

Take the road from Future Park Rangsit, not sure what hwy number....but head up to Nakon Nayok and then into the park the back way......really nice drive and not the murderous hwy 1 and 2 which are basically slaughterhouses.

I see plenty of small bikes up here all the time that come in groups from Bkk....even the odd foreigner on mopeds from time to time with all their gear, most likely from Bkk also.

Have fun.

• Like 2

On a scooter, just take it slow...no need to rush and make noise like some of the other less caring riders on big bikes do, appreciate the surroundings.

Still taking digs at riders of big bikes, eh?

Here's an appropriate bike for you.

post-181811-13923821772307_thumb.jpg

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Still taking digs at riders of big bikes, eh?

Here's an appropriate bike for you.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1392382129.223788.jpg

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

f%^g gorgeous hey....how old is it 13 ?

Nice to people using their bikes, even though I have bigger bike, have often thought of touring Thailand on our 110cc Wave....slowly. My wife and I have done plenty of short trips ranging from 40km, up to 200km and at 50-60kph you see, hear and smell so much, it is almost like walking, but much easier and so relaxing. Stopping for some cheapo grub every couple of hours and 200mpg from the bike which never misses a beat.

Been up the Mitterparp road (highway 2) a few times and never had a problem, but I am talking Isaan and down south it is a different matter. There are plenty of bikes up and down the whole road, but an alternative road would be better.

The only downside is the bike is a little bit small for lanky me, so not great for my back, but a get a back massage from the missus en-route and I am fine.

Do it and post please, not enough of that on this forum....bikes are for riding. Bon Voyage et bonne chance.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I actually haven't even bought the motorbike yet but will get one as soon as I have time. Knowing that getting up to Khao Yai this way is being done by others have given me more incentive to do the trip. I can't wait.

Edited by Nayet

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to making the pilgrimage up to Khao Yai on motorbike about a month ago on my new used Honda Click 125. Took Sukhumvit 71 out to Minburi and continued on the route VocalNeal suggested, which overall went swimmingly, so thanks for that. I did initially miss the right turn onto the 33 in Nakhon Nayok, because even though there was a sign showing which way to go, coming from the 305 you are making what seemingly amounts to a U-turn, which was counter-intuitive, and since I saw the mountains on the left, I figured I'd go straight instead. Stupid, and the mistake probably cost me about 30 - 40 minutes.

The roads out of Bangkok are not great, but once you get to the 305 it's smooth sailing for the most part, and for long stretches I managed to keep the speed above 80 km/h. A great trip which I will surely repeat in the near future.

• Like 2

I've ridden little bikes/scooters all over the country, except the restricted toll motorways.

Very fun.

Except for the risk of serious injury or death, no problem.

Keep a sharp lookout in the rear view mirror.

I recommend dust masks.

You should find the 'edit' button available for a while after you have posted, then gone.

Try "Khao Yai".

Starting from where??

I see a lot of regular Thai motorcycles on the highway going up that way, Bangkok to Saraburi then right on to Hwy 2 up to Pak Chong and the turnoff to Khao Yai.

But BE REAL CAREFUL, lots and lots of traffic, heavy trucks, all sorts just zipping along.

Mac

Aargghhh, I know it's Khao Yai and nothing else. If there is an edit button, they've hidden it well.

I am in Phrakhanong. Anyway, thanks for your response. I can't seem to remember if I've seen any scooters on highway 2 when I've gone up that way, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable doing it myself. Though surface streets may be too slow, if there even are any.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I actually haven't even bought the motorbike yet but will get one as soon as I have time. Knowing that getting up to Khao Yai this way is being done by others have given me more incentive to do the trip. I can't wait.

If you haven't bought a bike yet why don't you rent one first. All bikes are not created equal and if you really like it I can assure you that you will want something a bit more powerful to stay ahead of the traffic.

As an update, there are alot of detours or scenic options when taking Onnut or Rammkamhaeng. Just take a turn and see where it goes. I found one of the best long twisty roads on my way to Khao Yai that way. Took an extra 30 minutes or so to get to my next waypoint, but that is the point isn't it?

If you haven't bought a bike yet why don't you rent one first. All bikes are not created equal and if you really like it I can assure you that you will want something a bit more powerful to stay ahead of the traffic.

As I indicated in my update, I have purchased a Honda Click already. I realize a scooter is not most people's vehicle of choice for touring the Thai countryside, but I had no problem making it up to Khao Yai. Also, 99% of the time I use it on the congested sois and thoroughfares of Bangkok, and for that it is pretty much ideal. And I liked the price too.