Which 4-door pick-up to buy (secondhand)?

simon43

"It's no coincidence the Taliban use the Toyota Hilux. They are bullet proof (not literally) so to speak." Hahaha, QUOTE of the week! Thanks for making me laugh. Would make a great quote for your guests when you pick them up: "I bought this Toyota because the Taliban uses them. They're bulletbroof so to speak. Well, not really. Uh, I mean we won't have to worry about that. We're not going anywhere near the protests. Welcome to Thailand!"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you are buying a used truck that is 2 years old tops, I would be wary of the second-hand pickup market.

See if you can find out where the local repo auctions are. When I was in Udon, there was a lot of nearly new pickups at these auctions where I guess the reality of a monthly payment nuked the governments tax free 'first car' incentive.

Tata do a 4-door pickup which may better fit your needs as a bog-standard hotel utility vehicle for excess baggage and Chinese freeloaders. I haven't checked their prices lately but you would probably get a brand-new one on the road for the same price as anything mentioned earlier in this thread. They also do a CNG version which may yield even bigger savings.

Anything Toyota for sure! Do not do Isuzu. Ford is okay as well. Nissan... never did like them. So go with Toyota!

Why not Isuzu? Currently own a Mu 7, fantastic car. Drove it form Udon to Chiang Mai and back in January. In PNG I have driven loads of Hiluxs and the D Max is a far superior vehicle.

Found the Toyota dealers arrogant and misleading, the deal was changing all the time.

And to the OP. Buy new. You don't save much buying used here and it isn't worth the risk.

You try getting in a D-Max rear doors and see if you have problems getting your feet in. The Vigo has much more clearance for the task. Would hate to see one of Simon's guests falling on his face getting in or out. laugh.png

PS. That goes for the Chevy too.

Edited by transam

Toyota Hilux definitely the best. I have a 4 door now.. Sounds like you're in town rather than rural, so 2.5ltr. diesel should suit no need for a three ltr. and you don't need 4x4. Please don't try petrol / auto as very juicy, I've tried one and got rid after 6 months. Try Toyota Sure dealer, slightly dearer but they'll give you a warranty and make sure that what you buy is fully serviced.

You try getting in a D-Max rear doors and see if you have problems getting your feet in. The Vigo has much more clearance for the task. Would hate to see one of Simon's guests falling on his face getting in or out. laugh.png

My mate has a new Isuzu. I found if I take off my clown shoes first, getting in and out the back door is quite easy.

My mate has a new Isuzu. I found if I take off my clown shoes first, getting in and out the back door is quite easy.

Perhaps the new shell is different, the OP wants S/H. I just looked at my Vigo rear entrance, it is cavernous, my chums Isuzu rear entrance is crap.

Basically, any brand will do, but everyone has their favourites and hates. There are a few excellent 2nd hand websites - just find the nicest truck for your budget in the Phuket area and job's a goddun'.

If you can stretch to new, the Mitsus look pretty good value, but they're one of the oldest trucks on the market. They have loaded them up with loads of gadgets though. 631k and up.

Does anyone want be seen in one...

I'll only use it for night-time runs to the airport smile.png

And the passengers will typically be Chinese so no worries there either.

The truck tray is an Aussie-style drop-side so getting their bags on and off would be a lot easier to.

New truck for the price of something that has (probably) been thrashed.... you do the math.

PS. Someone was banging on earlier about the 'proven' reliability of the Triton's donger... designed +20 years ago? In the interim, there's a whole world of diesel engine development that makes the newer, smaller displacement engines punchy enough as well as being way more economical.

The truck tray is an Aussie-style drop-side so getting their bags on and off would be a lot easier to.

New truck for the price of something that has (probably) been thrashed.... you do the math.

PS. Someone was banging on earlier about the 'proven' reliability of the Triton's donger... designed +20 years ago? In the interim, there's a whole world of diesel engine development that makes the newer, smaller displacement engines punchy enough as well as being way more economical.

Let's banging on about reading composition, shall we?

The 4D56 engine (used in today's Tritons and many other vehicles) is one of the world's most tried and proven

engines, undergoing development and improvement for 34 years (not 20) and is now in it's 3rd generation.

Also, compared to Isuzu engines (which are good reliable engines), the 4D56 is much smoother and quieter.

The 4D56 engine (used in today's Tritons and many other vehicles) is one of the world's most tried and proven

engines, undergoing development and improvement for 34 years (not 20) and is now in it's 3rd generation.

Also, compared to Isuzu engines (which are good reliable engines), the 4D56 is much smoother and quieter.

Never heard a quiet Mitsu diesel, and after your 34 years I think it should be quiet by now................whistling.gif

I rented a Triton double cab a few times in Pattaya...was impressed by it. the newer engine 2.8 vgs is sweet and ride was comfortable.

I've never heard a Quiet Diesel unless it stopped.w00t.gif .

if it was quiet you wouldn't have heard it though, would you?

Obviously, this is intended as tongues-in-cheek comment.

A quiet engine means it's not noisy, not that it's totally silent... jeesh!

A lot of diesels have that notorious clattery noise, which some folks don't like.

Other diesels have a relatively quiet (not clattery) engine.

Does that help?