Phuket Immigration Nightmare

phuketjock

so glad i dont need to go through all of this......

I feel the same way.

Around day 58 of my tourist visa, I go to Immigration with some batht and my passport, that's all. Pay the money, get the extra month, and I'm out of there. No paperwork, no 800,000 baht in a BS Thai bank account for 2 months, 90 day reports etc.

Even when I turn 50, I'm starting to think I will still live here on tourist visa.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way.

Around day 58 of my tourist visa, I go to Immigration with some batht and my passport, that's all. Pay the money, get the extra month, and I'm out of there. No paperwork, no 800,000 baht in a BS Thai bank account for 2 months, 90 day reports etc.

Even when I turn 50, I'm starting to think I will still live here on tourist visa.

buy yourself a wp or ed and enjoy leaving when you want..

I feel the same way.

buy yourself a wp or ed and enjoy leaving when you want..

A work permit is a lot of paperwork and expense.

An Ed visa means you "should" show up to class now and then, and still must report.

The tourist visa is an easy, uncomplicated, cost effect way of living here.

I still have a bank account, drivers/riders licence and a long lease - all on a tourist visa.

Sure, I have to leave every 90 days, but leaving my 800,000 baht in a bank that actually does pay some interest, covers the cost of the visa run, and more.

I still think the visa laws are just a big money maker here, but constantly reading the visa forum threads, and some visa threads on the Phuket forum, dealing with the local Immigration Officers, I'm glad I don't have to go through what many of you guys go through, on a regualr basis.

Which embassy do you use where they don't mind giving unlimited back-to-back tourists visas?

Most embassies in the region limit you to three.

I have friends in Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City and Penang, so I catch up with them when doing my visa runs.

I also go to Vientiane, but mainly to visit a friend who moved from Phuket to Udon Thani. I fly with AirAsia from Phuket to Udon, catch up with him, and then cross Friendship Bridge.

When going to Phnom Penh and/or Ho Chi Minh City, sometimes I call into Pattaya and see some friends who have moved from Phuket to Pattaya, as the flight goes via Bangkok.

I have a 1 year multi-entry Cambodian visa and a 1 year multi-entry Vietnam visa, just to save pages in my two passports, which I mix up as well. I change around the Embassies. I don't keep going to the same one. Never had a problem.

A small break from Phuket every three months is good as well.

It's all been working well for me so far, and I'm considering sticking with it, even when I turn 50 years of age, as the 800,000 baht, invested elsewhere, more than pays for the visa runs, and I don't have to worry about reporting and re-entry permits etc etc.

Also, as mentioned, I have the same rights on a tourist visa as those on a retirement visa. Eg. can open bank account etc but without all the extra paperwork and rules.

Update, especially for Merijn.

Did my 90 day report this morning, passport and TM 47 form, nothing else required and

greeted with a smile and warm hello from immigration staff at the Patong office.

In and out in the time it took my missus to park the bike and come to the office, max 5 mins

what a differemce from Phuket immigration office chaos.

Wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that there was not a guard volunteer in sight???

thumbsup.gif

Edited by phuketjock

Does Patong try the Residency Certifcate rip off ploy? Can you go there for an B extension ? Weighing whether to try for the one year , get more workers for three months to get the worker books in order, or just do a visa run, which is cheaper

Last time in Phuket town when I tried , and all by the book and in perfect order it was strongly hinted I should pay 10,000 baht, when I didn't - it was said the company didn't have enough income to qualify.

Edited by EBlair48

Does Patong try the Residency Certifcate rip off ploy? Can you go there for an B extension ? Weighing whether to try for the one year , get more workers for three months to get the worker books in order, or just do a visa run, which is cheaper

Last time in Phuket town when I tried , and all by the book and in perfect order it was strongly hinted I should pay 10,000 baht, when I didn't - it was said the company didn't have enough income to qualify.

Not sure but think that Patong only processes the 90 day notifications and the shorter term extensions (like 7 days or 30 days). Maybe they still do the Cert of Res. For sure they do not do the year extensions, or at least officially.

Patong Immigration office can only do the "easy" things, 90 Day reporting, 7/30 day extension, re-entry and some times Proof of Residence.

All others has to be done in Phuket.

That things are sometimes easier in Patong has I think nothing to do with the volunteers but more to the the fact that they only do the simple stuff.

Patong Immigration office can only do the "easy" things, 90 Day reporting, 7/30 day extension, re-entry and some times Proof of Residence.

All others has to be done in Phuket.

That things are sometimes easier in Patong has I think nothing to do with the volunteers but more to the the fact that they only do the simple stuff.

Why do you have to be interrogated at Phuket before you get to see an IO for a 90 day report whereas in Patong they seem to operate more smoothly without such interrogation?

Come on man if you are really part of the system then PLEASE listen to your customers.

If I am subject to "interrogation " in the morning by some jumped up wanna be there will be fireworks.

I have already decided to speak no other language than Thai.smile.png

Well ain't that so clever

Why would speaking Thai in a Thai Immigration office not be a good idea ------------?

edit

spelling

If I am subject to "interrogation " in the morning by some jumped up wanna be there will be fireworks.

Why would speaking Thai in a Thai Immigration office not be a good idea ------------?

edit

spelling

It was quite obviously a dig at the volunteers and seemed like olddoc was trying to be a smartarse. The volunteers are there to help and I am quite sure if you spoke to them in english or thier home language and, that you had all your documents prepared ,and understood that if they were incorrect you would have to return to the back of the queue, they would allow that. I would - and I bet I would see a few sent back

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

edit

spelling

It was quite obviously a dig at the volunteers and seemed like olddoc was trying to be a smartarse. The volunteers are there to help and I am quite sure if you spoke to them in english or thier home language and, that you had all your documents prepared ,and understood that if they were incorrect you would have to return to the back of the queue, they would allow that. I would - and I bet I would see a few sent back

IMHO terak I think you would make an excellent immigration volunteer, you have the very necessary

odstructive attitude that they seem to hold dear, the very attutude that caused me a totally unnecessary

4 hr wait in Phuket immigration last week. Good luck tomorrow olddoc. bah.gifw00t.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have already decided to speak no other language than Thai.smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

edit

spelling

I have renewed my extension of stay on many occasions ,I need no "assistance" from wannabes .

I always speak in Thai to the immigration officers --------if the wannabes cant hack it then to bad !

My judgement has obviously been coloured by this thread ------I am a reasonable man but if some clown try's to "interrogate" me I hope it speaks good Thai !

As promised earlier i will report back

Can those helpers speak Russian or just English.?

Not sure of Russian. There was three volunteers today at Phuket town. The guy I talked to had four flags to show the languages he can use to help people. One was English, another one Swedish. I did not note the rest, nor note what the other volunteers were able to speak.

they can't speak thai, asked them 3 months ago and they been here for many years....

My judgement has obviously been coloured by this thread ------I am a reasonable man but if some clown try's to "interrogate" me I hope it speaks good Thai

So you let 1 person you don't know colour your opinion. Form it yourself, much better.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

edit

spelling

I had some hassle from Immigration at the airport last month and decided to explain myself In Thai. Didn't go so well, the woman screamed in my face 'I am police' and 'you are not Thai people' to be fair don't think it would of went any different in any language, she was a total bitch and defo having a bad day

Edited by Chalongian

As promised ------a short note about my my trip to Phuket immigration.

Arrived at Phuket immigration a little after 08:30 this morning.

An immigration officer was manning the "reception".

The officer spoke English. I was polity asked what I needed and then given a number -------no "interrogation" or shuffling though papers. I was 3rd in the queue and my number was called within a few minutes.

Within 20-25 minuets of arriving I was leaving with a new extension of stay + re-entry permit.

Excellent service and I for one have absolutely no complaint.

A little bit annoying this morning. I thought I'd save time by filling in the TM47 90 day report form using the download facility, print it off and not lose any places in the queue by having to spend time filling in the form in the office. The online form incidentally goes over two pages so I put the receipt slip onto a separate page.

Got my number (2, I was there at opening time) from the volunteer but the officer declined to accept the online form, insisting that I fill in one of their forms. Filled the new one in, back to the queue for a new number and was seen to immediately, though the officer this time tried to fine me for being late, having not bothered to look at the copy with a 30th November entry stamp in my passport.

A minor gripe but I won't bother with online forms at the Phuket office again.

I don't understand why you say that the TM47 form spans 2 pages?

I have 2 sources for downloading and printing the same form and both

give the form on one page.

Try here next time

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

or here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/category/6-thai-immigration-application-forms/

I never use any other source for all my immigration forms.

Hope this helps. smile.png