My pre-Thailand weight loss strategy.

paz

As a new year resolution I wanted to arrive in Thailand in a better shape so I spent the entire month of Januuary focused on that goal. I am 1.72 m and weighted 79 Kg or so Jan 1st. Also I had a total colestherol od 245 and high GST, a liver function marker.

I did the following:

- Avoided any alchool or sugared drink, juices, in summary anything except mineral water or coke zero sometime. I eaten three high protein meals, for possibly a total of 1200 - 1400 Kcal daily or so. I've not eaten any high carbs food, no pasta, bread, rice, no starch vegetables and no sugar of any kind. I've eaten yogurth daily (fat free or regular indifferently), alwith mixed with protein powder. I ate a lot of fish, salmon and others, chicken, turkey, cured dry meat (but no pork, ham, and such) , vegetables, salads, few eggs, and again, protein bars of the best brand. I ate some fruit and dry nuts when feeling like. I did not ever felt hungry in doing that.
For cholesterol I took and herbal supplement, as weel vitamins, a light energyzer before exercise, and zinc magnesium before sleep.

- Worked out six times a feek. On even days I would start with a weigths circuit, no more than 6 exercises of 3x10 reps, going for speed and form. I was able to increase half or one Kg every week. That followed by 40 mins of room bike at 85% max cardio rate. On odd days I did boxe training. I recommend that to everyone over any other sport especially over other martial arts. With western boxing I was able to concentrate on fundamentals of speed, strenght and reaction, while challenging myself all the time and not riskiing my joints or bones health. Each session lasted like 80 minutes. I gave all my energies to that, but never to the point of feeling exhausted or in pain. I did never felt tired or uncomfortable. I did nothing the rest of the day but sitting in front of the computer.

On leaving for Thailand Feb 4th I weigthed a little more than 73 Kg, and all the blood values returned normal except total colesterol, still 24 mg/L over 200.

Now, in here in Thailand everything is more difficult. Temptations, food difficult to categorize, no guidance at the gym. It is also difficult to do western boxing (and I'm no athlete) while everything focuses on Muay Thai. However I'm optimistic and will not stop until I reach my goal of 66 Kg.

Forgot to say, I'm the laziest person on earth. If I can do it, anybody can.

Edited by paz

Good work.. though in general id say exercise is not that effective for weight loss. Yes I exercise a lot and quite intense too, and when loosing weight I was doing it crazy like you every day rowing sessions next to my weight sessions. Still eating less and eating right works much more. Exercise does help to keep your muscle so its more a long run strategy making sure your metabolic rate does not drop too much.

Also there has been research that exercise can bring your metabolic rate back to normal levels after a diet.

Yes i've read on this approach of "kitchen is more important than weight room" and know that there is people that loses weight with diet only, but honesty I know from experience that in my case it doesn't work, and i would not recommend it to anyone that is serious about getting a strong, lean and effective body.

Yes i've read on this approach of "kitchen is more important than weight room" and know that there is people that loses weight with diet only, but honesty I know from experience that in my case it doesn't work, and i would not recommend it to anyone that is serious about getting a strong, lean and effective body.

I prefer both.

I have been reading about high intensity interval training and decided that's the way to go for me now. In a way, boxe training is already a form of it. I will need to make a schedule of exercises that makes sense. I also want to swim and will need to find a balance among all these things.

Yes, this is known.

The very concept of "dieting" is flawed, dangerous, and does not work.

People may as well TAKE ADVANTAGE of what science knows about obesity which may not be so much but is a heck of a lot more than 10 years ago.

There are still potential solutions but they are not about going on a diet!

Before anyone freaks out and starts shooting absurd "excuses" accusations, get real.

Nobody is saying people dealing with obesity shouldn't be focused on food choices, portion control, and also exercise.
The point is any short term plan -- "DIETS" -- are the wrong approach entirely and will ALMOST ALWAYS fail (the loss part may succeed but that DOES NOT MATTER).

To have any chance of long term success (loss followed by maintenance, the hardest part BY FAR) you need to forget about thinking as the struggle as anything short term, as in "DIETS" but rather think in terms of LIFETIME PERMANENT CHANGES.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1